Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5 D&D] [MLP:FiM] Re-Recruiting: Equestria Begins (Discord link fixed!)

The fact that I am not using the standard formatting for this is intentional. Consider it a test of your ability to parse information presented in ways you were not expecting.

Requirements: Discord ( My Little TableTop server*) , mic and speakers/headset, Roll20 (for maps and maybe dice, voice and text will be on Discord), and ability to read and edit GoogleDocs (does NOT require an account!)
    *This link has been fixed! The server lost boosters so the more readable URL stopped working.

Number One Rule for having fun and being successful in my campaigns:
    If you have one or more questions ASK THEM. (You may have to repeat yourself if I get overloaded with input.)
    IF, at any time, you do not have a question, be ACTIVELY trying to think of some!

System: D&D 3.5 with HEAVY modifications. SO heavy, in fact, that you DO NOT need to even know anything about 3.5 or even learn at more than a snails pace if you don't wish to! I'm perfectly happy to keep things at the level of "Describe to me what your character does, and I'll take care of the mechanical side of things.". Or I can give you the rules (with TWO exceptions, one regarding a fine point of spell-selection for unicorns, and the other being that Cutie-Mark effects are very much "eyeballed" right now).

Setting and Races:
    This is a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic game, set long before the start of the show. (I/we are happy to help those unfamiliar with the show.)

Due to the mission you are assigned, it is strongly preferred that you keep to the basic Pegasus, Unicorn, and Earth Pony races.

Party Size:
    4-5 FOR NOW, since this is my first time GMing in years.

Reserve slots will be available in case people drop out.

Party size may increase up to 6 as I/we hit our stride.

As of this posting I have 3 players (several people flaked out, many without actually showing up to any sessions).
    (EDIT: Current characters are an Earth Pony Crusader, a Pegasus Swordsage, a Unicorn Warlock with a refluffed Efritti Major Bloodline, and a Unicorn Warmage with modifications to make him more of a short-range character.)

Time/Date:
    Eastern Standard Time: 7 PM Tuesday

Frequency/Duration:
    Weekly, 3 hours minimum. If people can stay for 5 hours in a given session that would be about my upper limit.

Attendance:
    I expect at least 24 notice of any cancellations. If you don't think this will be possible in most cases, or that you will miss more than 10% of sessions, please do not apply.

You have the option to choose another player to play your character in the event you can not make it to a given session. If you do not do so, I might run your character in combat and have them remain mostly passive outside of combat, rather than cancelling the session.

Length of Campaign:
    I dream of this being a campaign that lasts years... I realize it probably won't be, but I certainly have no "And then you live happily ever after." point in mind.

Focus:
    1.) "Tactics" both on and off the battlefield.
    Be professionals. You CAN be silly, theoretically even in combat, as long as it doesn't endanger other characters including NPCs, even indirectly. Pinkie Pie (who won't even be born for thousands of years) doesn't mess around in a fight, she just has fun with it (as she does with anything), and is more than willing to use 'Confusion Fu'.
    Think things through, make use of every resource you reasonably can. Gather intelligence through both social means and reconnaissance.

2.) Depending on player abilities and willingness, there might be a secondary aspect of inspiring moral and social thought.
    Now, I say below that there are certain aspects of sexuality and racial matters that we would need to stay far away from. However, that does not mean that ALL such matters are off the table. We can all agree that rapists and the Third Reich are Evil, and I think I can do interesting things from even those obvious pieces of shared ground.

As a more specific example: A "put your dice away, you won't need your statistics this session" idea I am tentatively(a) considering is having your characters providing additional points of view to a judge attempting to decide the sentence (NOT the verdict!) in a sex-crime that is so bizarre that he isn't sure exactly which legal principles to apply. To give you an idea of HOW bizarre, one could show a first-pony POV shot from an eye-witness of it being committed without breaking a 'G' rating as long as there was no dialogue or other context to explain it.
    (a) For one thing, if there are younger players this will not be an option.

Alignment:
    Good Only. And that is how I define Good. There are certain areas, such as some aspects of sexual morality and racial politics that I STRONGLY suspect it is in everyone's best interest if they simply never get mentioned in the game. To be fairly blunt: I am not particularly "politically correct".

Additional Allowed Documents:
    Show it to me and I will see if I can make it work!

Not allowed:
    1.) Overpowered stuff of course... but that doesn't mean you should be afraid to ASK for stuff you think might be overpowered. Just be open about that, and I will figure out how to nerf that same TYPE of power down to something FEELS as close to it as possible, while still being balanced. Your assistance and input with such processes would be welcome, but not necessarily required.
    2.) Anything I can't make fit the fanon I have in mind. Of course, since I am willing to refluff, that is going to be FAIRLY wide. For instance I make Warlocks just a variation of how unicorns can train their magic rather than something that involved them or a family-member making a pact with another entity, and Totemists are Zebra who can call upon the authority of the hooved races over the magical beasts to be granted their powers.

Summary:

Spoiler: Version of campaign impetus for those familiar with My Little Pony Lore
    Show
    It is a few decades after Hearth's Warming. Long enough that it's lessons are in danger of being forgotten, which would result in a resurgence of the Windigoes. Commander Hurricane, partially on the advice of several members of the Pillar's of Harmony, has commissioned combined-arms (AKA mixed race, and sometimes even species) teams to seek out violators of the spirit of cooperation and neutralize them by reasoning with them, utterly discrediting them (if they are not likely to start over in a new location), capture, or death, as appropriate.

Of course, this new land is still filled with dangerous creatures of all sorts, and dealing with them would be a public demonstration of the power of unity.

Spoiler: Version for those less familiar or completely unfamiliar with the show.
    Show

Ponies are a single species with three relevant phenotypes (the word "race" isn't quite what I am looking for because hybrids as the result of genetic mixing do not occur, the child will always be one of the three types*). While it is true that they mostly live in settlements comparable to the medieval era of technological progress in human history "settings equivalent of humanoid" is really only half the story. The other half is that in most other settings they would be classified as "fae", in as much as they have powers that resemble those of Greco-Roman nature spirits, or, when acting in concert with each other, even gods.
    *To anyone who opened this spoiler out of curiosity rather than need: Flurry Heart isn't due to be born for thousands of years.
    • The Pegasi can fly and physically effect clouds enough to not only stand on them, but manufacture weather. Can augmenting their hoof attacks with electric damage in various ways.
    • Unicorns are the only ones with access to much overt spellcasting at all. Their horns make such things as somatic, verbal, and most material components irrelevant. While it comes at GREAT cost, this is the race without whom the transitions between day and night literally DO NOT HAPPEN.
    • Earth Ponies have the most subtle and strange magics combined with the most simple ones. They can be a variant druid that relies more on "animal" companions than spells, but they also make excellent physical combatants due to their +6 bonuses to Strength and Constitution... yes, you heard right. +6 on a Small sized race. If anything this UNDER-sells the feats of strength that the mightiest members of this race can perform in the show. Punching rocks as big as they are into gravel with repeated blows delivered over the course of only a few seconds, digging a trench to divert the lava from a volcano away from a town in what, even allowing for the exaggeration of the example that is from a legend rather than a direct depiction, was only a few minutes, and catching a boulder that probably out-weighed the individual in question by several hundred to one.

There was a winter that would not end despite the fact that Ponies normally control the changes of seasons, and the Pegasi specifically the weather and the Unicorns the sun.
    Much blaming and bickering occured.
    All three "tribes" sought a new land to escape this, and found one... unfortunately not only was it the SAME new one in each case, but shortly after their arrival the winter arrived as well.
    At the last moment one of leaders of the three tribes' companions identified the source of the Winter as being creatures called Windigoes (no, NOT Wendigos), invisible, incorporeal creatures that feed on resentment (and may inspire it as well) and bring the great cold with them.
    Resigned to their fates (due to being mostly encased in ice at the time) the three companions of the leaders made peace with each other.
    The sub-title of the series being "Friendship is Magic" means that this peace resulted in a flaming heart bursting forth from the unicorn of the trio's horn and destroying the Windigoes (at least in that specific area). This event is now celebrated every year and is called "Hearth's Warming".

All of the above is a fairly direct retelling of events described in the show.

Now for where my own world-building takes it...
    Enough time has passed that the lessons of the original Hearth's Warming have been forgotten, and the ruling Triumvirate has commissioned teams of heroes* to prevent the return of the Windigoes by policing for hate-mongers etc. Of course, the land is still largely unexplored, and monsters still roam. Proving the power of combined-arms between the three phenotypes is, in and of itself, a public relations move that can serve this objective. Note that even when dealing with racists, this DOES NOT mean that violence is always the solution. Use reasoning wtih them, utterly discrediting them (if they are not likely to start over in a new location), capture, or death, as is most appropriate to the individual situation.
    *[Captain Obvious]The PCs plus any NPCs I have travelling with them are one of these teams.[/Captain Obvious]

Of course, this new land is still filled with dangerous creatures of all sorts, and dealing with them would be a public demonstration of the power of unity.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2020-12-01 at 05:59 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

sigh Re: [3.5 D&D] [MLP:FiM] Equestria Begins

Note that I accidentally initially posted this before I was done editing. I simply hit the wrong key.

I have just now put in the Discord server link. Repeated for convenience: https://discord.gg/M5d5nnr96K . (EDIT: Again, this link is now fixed.)

I am @ DracoDei # 3734 (remove spaces that I put in as an anti-spambot measure) if you wish to contact me their. Note that "Do Not Disturb" mode, at least in my case, means "It is FINE to text message me, I just don't want my computer beeping at me every five seconds, and might not see your message for a while (usually on the order of hours, but sometimes days)."
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2020-12-01 at 05:59 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5 D&D] [MLP:FiM] Equestria Begins

This had to be on the one day/time I'm already in a very committed discord game... I wish I could at least check it out otherwise.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Super interested but I have a question: How cannon is the show to the setting? are we going to see season 6-9 stuff such as the pillars?(please say no)
    Last edited by nlinzer; 2020-10-15 at 12:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

sorry if that was rude
    Last edited by nlinzer; 2020-10-15 at 12:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    This had to be on the one day/time I'm already in a very committed discord game... I wish I could at least check it out otherwise.
    Sorry to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by nlinzer View Post
    Super interested but I have a question: How cannon is the show to the setting? are we going to see season 6-9 stuff such as the pillars?(please say no)
    You need to stay on the server if I am going to live-chat with you since I don't necessarily check Discord most days. Alternatively we could start out by discussing things in this thread until and unless you are ready to make the move to Discord, or we can at least schedule when to meet on Discord for text and/or voice chat.

It would help me answer your question in a meaningful way if I knew why you dislike stuff from seasons 6 to 9.

Most season 6-9 stuff is irrelevant in as much as we are playing thousands of years earlier. Some of it gets changed (the less common types of characters such as Kirin and Hippogryphs).

A few examples:
    The Pillars exist, but Stygian hasn't even become The Pony of Shadows yet.

Changelings exist, including a single clutch of reformed ones, BUT reformation doesn't work like in the show.

Batponies are a template that doesn't exist because Luna (who doesn't exist yet) has to spend about 1,000 XPs to turn a Pegasus into a Batpony. (There are equivalent transformations for other races.)

As for your second post, no, I didn't find it rude.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2020-10-18 at 04:13 PM.
    Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Bumping this because I am still looking for additional players.

Updated roster is:
    Igneous Genesis: Reflavored Efreeti bloodline Unicorn Warlock (Going reflavored Hellfire Warlock in the future). Stallion.

(I THINK this is the one whose player is considering dropping out...) Night Shadow: Pegasus Swordsage with several maneuvers from the self-sacrificial leadership centered homebrew Scarlet Bravura.
    Rose: Breezie Cohort of the Pegasus, useful mostly for scouting and almost completely useless in combat. Mare.

Scarlet Frost: Unicorn Warmage with modifications trading out range for a d8 hit-die and other things to make them more viable at casting magic in melee. Mare.

Harborn: Earth Pony Rogue 4 / Warblade 1 who is planning on taking the rest of his levels in Warblade. Stallion.

(NPC Healbot) Caduceus: Unicorn, Stallion. His class is a fairly heavily reworked Sorcerer that gets access to clerical spells. Few if any offensive spells.
    Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

THIS link should work https://discord.gg/M5d5nnr96K .
    I also fixed it in the first and second posts.
    The server lost boosters so the more human-readable link stopped working. Being somewhat unfamiliar with Discord I did not realize this. Fixed now!
    (Hopefully that was the reason I was having such a hard time getting applications...)
    Extended Signature

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

I appreciate the offer, Draco, but I found a couple of people to run games for me. Hope this one goes well.