New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default [3.5] Stats for a Gibbon

thats right...im looking for stats on the smallest of the apes...im beginning to doubt whether they exist or not though...

has anybody seen stats for something that is bigger than a monkey but smaller than a baboon, homebrewed or otherwise? and if not, what would be a good fix? should i just take the baboon and shrink it, fixing ability scores accordingly?

(i need the stats for an awakened gibbon monk that i will be playing...i was originally gunna be a monkey, but theyre to small)
    "'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 'Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning. 'Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever."

-The 13th Warrior

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Stats for a Gibbon

Advance a monkey from Tiny to Small? Brachiation feat from Complete Adventurer might be appropiate.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Here's my take (a baboon only has one HD, so a Gibbon should too. Also, monkeys effectively have Brachiation because they have a high climb speed. If you want, he could have Scent or +1 natural armor and lose the bonus feat).

Gibbon
    Small Animal
    HD: 1d8
    Init: +2
    Speed: 30ft walk, 30ft climb
    AC: 13 (+1 size +2 dex)
    BAB/Grapple:+0/-5
    Attack: +3 bite (1d4-1)
    Space Reach: 5ft/5ft
    Special Qualities: lowlight vision
    Saves:Fort+2, Ref+4, Will +1
    Abilities: Str 9, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 5
    Skills: Balance +10, Climb +13, Escape Artist +2, Hide +6, Listen +5, Spot +5
    Feats: Alertness Weapon Finesse(Bite) (bonus feat)
    CR: 1/4
    Homebrew Magic Items you might enjoy:
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers
    Also, its time to think about Yeth Hounds in a whole new way

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

should they have a bonus to jump? gibbons are known for doing some ridiculously long jumps
    "'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 'Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning. 'Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever."

-The 13th Warrior

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doresain View Post
    has anybody seen stats for something that is bigger than a monkey but smaller than a baboon, homebrewed or otherwise? and if not, what would be a good fix? should i just take the baboon and shrink it, fixing ability scores accordingly?
    Closest I can find is a Brood Monkey, from the WotC website, but it's a monstrous humanoid... not quite what you're looking for:

https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041126a

If you want to adapt an existing animal, I'd go with resizing the baboon. Just make it small, adjust the stats for the size reduction, but keep everything else the same.

You could also advance a tiny monkey up to 2HD, but then you have a small-sized monkey with more HD than a baboon.

Something else you might want to consider... just take an existing small race and refluff it. I'd probably use Grippli (Dragon #324). Remove or replace the bonus vs. vermin, remove or replace the martial proficiency with nets/bolas, and change the +2 racial bonus on move silently to balance or tumble.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doresain View Post
    should they have a bonus to jump? gibbons are known for doing some ridiculously long jumps
    Sure, I just based mine of an ordinary monkey with stats closer to a baboon, so feel free to modify it to fit your needs. A monkey has a +8 racial bonus to Balance and to Climb, as well as use their Dex bonus for Climbing, and this monkey has 2 ranks in each of Spot and Listen (I made an error in the skills, Climb should be +10). With a +8 racial bonus to Jump added, he'd have +7, if you changed the alertness feat and diverted the skill points that could go as high as +13 (with +2 to swimming).
    Homebrew Magic Items you might enjoy:
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers
    Also, its time to think about Yeth Hounds in a whole new way

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

3.5 Weapon Finesse affects all your finessable weapons, not just single chosen one.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

yeah thats stats work well

thanks for all the help

-The 13th Warrior