New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default 3.5e prestige class for a paladin who wants to go pure defender?

hey guys i havent got access to my books atm(a friend took them on holiday) and i need a prestige class for my pali, if you could post the lvl by lvl stats that would be great too

thanx guys :)
    Fear Victor Von Kittie!!!!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5e prestige class for a paladin who wants to go pure defender?

Can't really go into full stat, abilities, etc as I'm away from books too, and it would probably be illegal or somesuch, but Grey Guard is an alright choice. Paladin code can be bent and later, completely broken, you gain a few cool abilities and best of all, paladin code can be bent/completely broken. I know I said that earlier, but it's the best feature of the class by a long way. You finally get to remove the stick!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    I don't read the first post. Or the title of the thread. Or anything in the thread to be honest. I just post random words and hope it all makes potato.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

There's a partial preview of the Gray Guard available for free on the Wizards site here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070320

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Being a defender doesn't really work in 3.5ed. If you have high AC, there isn't much to stop people from walking around you and attacking the squishier people instead.

The best way of being a defender in 3.5ed is probably going the trip monkey route, which paladins are very unsuited for.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I second third the Grey Guard. I feel he's more of what the paladin is meant to be.

If you're looking for something more defensive (as in defending your party members), I'm afraid the most viable options involve the Tome of Battle. In general, defensive play in D&D 3.5 doesn't work. A clever (or evil) DM will assume that his monsters play by the same rules and realize that they can easily walk past the unassailable fortress of steel in the shape of a man (UFSSM) and eat his less-armored friends (an attack of opportunity from a guy with a shield? Oh no!). Afterward, they will flood the room with water to get the UFSSM out of his crunchy shell so that they can eat him too.

Some maneuvers in the Tome help keep the enemy focused on you.

If you're just concerned with personal Armor Class, all you really need is an enchanted shield (I like tower shields, myself. You'd have to burn a feat or take a level in fighter though), enchanted full plate, a good deflection bonus, five ranks in tumble and weapon expertise.

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

If you really want tactical options to prevent enemies from walking around you, there's two choices:

-Knight (PHB2), which specializes a lot in the 4E-ish "Attack me, not them" mechanic. It also makes your surrounding area difficult terrain, plus it has d12 HD.

-Crusader or Warblade (ToB), which have access to the White Raven discipline. White Raven has a lot of maneuvers that deal with allowing your allies to either get extra moves or bonuses to their attacks.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I thought knight was a normal class though not a prestige class...
    Last edited by Kwinza; 2009-01-29 at 06:11 AM.
    Fear Victor Von Kittie!!!!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Also, Devoted Spirit (Crusader's exclusive school) offers some stuff like Shield Block (allows you to give ally your Shield-bonus + 4 to AC for a turn) and some attack cancelling maneuvers. Other option is the simple Reach Weapon plus Stand Still + Thicket of Blades-stance. It's the classic Battlefield Control setup; allows you to basically stop everyone within 10' of you from moving (20' if you're base Large or Enlarged).

But yea, these are all normal classes. 3.0 Sword & Fist has Bodyguard, which sounds like what you're interested in. Really though, you don't need PrCs for that stuff in 3.X.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-01-29 at 06:13 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kwinza View Post
    I thought knight was a normal class though not a prestige class...
    It is, I forgot to mention that. All of the classes I mentioned are base classes. I have no PrCs to offer except maybe the Deepstone Sentinel. That's also a ToB-specific PrC, and is kind of an improved Dwarven Defender.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Tactical Soldier (MH)
    Defender of Sealatiel (BoED) (and yes, this IS 3.5)
    Knight Protector (CW)

http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules...s-Prestige.pdf