New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Star Wars] How do you feel about droid heroes?

I'll admit it's a rather bizarre prejudice of mine, I don't like "droid heroes". For me watching the movies, all the droid characters (particularly R2D2) came across as little more than mobile plot devices who kept the story moving. They didn't really have motivations of their own, and weren't really the focus of the story.

When playing the KotOR videogames, I absolutely loathe all the droid characters they give you, and won't play them unless I have to to get past a particular bit of plot.

So when I run Star Wars games, I don't allow droid PCs, which is why I'm rarely bothered when the rules don't make much effort to cater for it. Because for me, droids are pure NPC fodder, not for PCs. Sure you can make efforts to detail droids who are different, have unique programming that makes them like organics (and there have been a few examples in the EU, like Guri - who conveniently looks human), but I'd rather see organic characters.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of my distate comes from a dislike of hard sci-fi. Few of those tropes really appeal to me, my focus is more on the pulp and fantastical elements than the tech.

Am I alone in this particular proclivity? Does anyone else have strong feelings one way or another about what role droids should play in a game?
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Star Wars] How do you feel about droid heroes?

Droids are definitely not hard sci-fi. ;D

I don't really like so-called droids much as main characters either, I think banning them as PCs would be fine.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myou View Post
    Droids are definitely not hard sci-fi. ;D
    No, my point is that a lot of the elements involving droids come from the sci-fi part of the myriad genre conventions blended together in Star Wars.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Banning them is certainly your prerogative, but I like them. R2D2 I find to be an interesting character. Yes, he's the good little mechanic, but not just because of doing what he"a told. His crowning moment of awesome in the third movie was destroying the super battle droids with oil and is rocket boosters, and there are countless other examples of r2d2 saving the heroes through his thinking for himself as opposed to following orders dogmatically. Plus droids are so customizable, you pick the features you want and put them together, though i believe that you should get more starting cash for building your character, in fact When i gm I halve the cost factor to give more toys to the toy, if they start to get overpowered, Ion rifles exist.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't play them myself purely for HP and Fort Defense issues but climbing claws and jump servos are mighty fun.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Droids do seem pretty boring.
    Mostly because the list of possible character concepts is kinda short:
    we have either a "who am i?" inquisitive child(think "I,robot"), or a homicidal maniac/better-than-you type(like HK-47 and Skynet), or indeed a plot device(such as R2-D2 or the Terminator). Or we get an actual human character with different stats.

Although RP options are limited, any of abovementioned concepts may lead to interesting character interaction, which is actuzlly fun. Still, i don't think it's gonna last.

But hey, i wouldn't ban droids in my game: it's always good to have a little diversity in the party. even when they stop behaving droid-like(as in Darths&Droids), they are still metal guys who get blasted by ion guns and need repair instead of healing.
    This is a litany of lost things,
    a canon of possessions dispossessed,
    a photograph, an old address, a key.
    It is a list of words to memorize
    or to forget – of amo, amas, amat,
    the conjugations of a dead tongue
    in which the final sentence has been spoken.
    © Dana Gioia

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

The OP kindof has a point about the droids in the starwars movie. Essentially, they're the narrators of the story. They see pretty much everything from start to finish. (Also, R2D2's crowning moment in Episode 3 comes at the end of the movie, when they only choose to have C3P0's memory wiped. This was something a friend and I had been hoping for, because it means that during movies 4-6, R2D2 knows exactly what's going on, and is just being a little jerk. It's awesome.)

Also, OP, if you didn't play with any of the droid characters in KotoR, you really missed out. Playing with HK-47 is a blast, and if I remember, T3 is pretty amusing in the second one.

Banning droids in SWSE games is a bit more understandable. They definitely change the game, because they can have different abilities, vulnerabilities, immunities, etc. that normal PCs don't have. I mean, gassing a chamber might seem like a good idea, but the droid is just going to sit there and not care. Similarly, while Ion guns might not pose a threat to PCs, that droid will be running for his life.

That being said, I've played both droid, and non-droid characters in StarWars games, and I can't say that having droids is a bad thing. I had a lot of fun with mine (I was the possession/body guard of one of the other characters who was playing a noble, so I got to threaten anyone who I considered was being "rude" to him. It was awesome).

If you don't like them, I don't really think you're RUINING THE GAME OMG!!!! but having droid characters can be really fun.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kiero View Post
    When playing the KotOR videogames, I absolutely loathe all the droid characters they give you, and won't play them unless I have to to get past a particular bit of plot.
    How can anybody loaths HK-47? I can see not liking T3M4, he had no personality to speak of. But HK-47 is the heart and soul of the KotOR games!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    How can anybody loaths HK-47? I can see not liking T3M4, he had no personality to speak of. But HK-47 is the heart and soul of the KotOR games!
    Confirmation: I agree with this poster's assessment of HK-47. Any maligned feelings for the droid are certainly errors introduced into your meatbag processor. HK-47 is the coolest robot ever.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Indeed. In fact, the only malevolent AI anywhere that can compete with HK-47 for overall coolness is GLaDOS.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

If I were the snarky type, I'd point out that just as there are no droid main characters in the movies, there are also no Wookiee main characters in the movies.

So of course I will. Do you also ban Wookiees from your games?

Now, I am kidding, but quite frankly, I don't really understand why you dislike droids. Yes, the droids are not the main characters of the movies. Neither are Chewie, Jar-Jar or Commander Rex. At least the way I see it, about all of them have just as much personality and depth as Artoo and Threepio.

And no, I didn't use T3 either, but how anyone could not love HK is utterly beyond me.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

The only thing I really don't like about droid heroes is a minor balance issue...

If you're a droid PC and you don't like your skill/talent selection, you can simply reprogram them. Organic PCs don't have that option unless the GM decides to houserule it. Likewise, if your droid is destroyed, you can simply load a backup of yourself into another droid, problem solved. Organic PCs might get a funeral, if they're lucky.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Attilargh View Post
    If I were the snarky type, I'd point out that just as there are no droid main characters in the movies, there are also no Wookiee main characters in the movies.

Now, I am kidding, but quite frankly, I don't really understand why you dislike droids. Yes, the droids are not the main characters of the movies. Neither are Chewie, Jar-Jar or Commander Rex. At least the way I see it, about all of them have just as much personality and depth as Artoo and Threepio.

And no, I didn't use T3 either, but how anyone could not love HK is utterly beyond me.
    Statement: I am confused as well, fleshbag.
    Pensive statement: Even the standard explanation for lovable robot hatred, that of the fleshwad being evil, fails.
    Query: Is it not true HK-47 is one of the beings who best exemplifies evil in its most enjoyable form?
    Enthused Deductive leap: Perhaps the subject is a self hating robot?
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-01-30 at 12:28 PM.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Attilargh View Post

The movies aren't the sole, or even one of the main determinants of what is in or out of my Star Wars games. Frankly I couldn't care less about anything that took place in the OT, I don't play in the Classic/Rebellion era at all.

That was more to curtail some of the oft-trotted arguments, which start with "well in the movies...".

I don't much like droid characters, it just so happens that the movies back me up on one element of my stance, that they're plot devices not protagonists.

As to HK, he was entertaining the first time you played the game. But once that novelty has worn off, the fact that he's completely useless, and all the organic characters are better (especially in the second game) quickly overrides the appeal. Besides which making most of the other characters into Jedi is far more fun than whatever it is you get out of wasting your breath talking to droids.
    Wushu Open Reloaded

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Indeed. In fact, the only malevolent AI anywhere that can compete with HK-47 for overall coolness is GLaDOS.
    Disagree. SHODAN puts them both to shame. Why settle for psycopathy when you can become a GOD?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demonix View Post
    Disagree. SHODAN puts them both to shame. Why settle for psycopathy when you can become a GOD?
    Disturbing statement: This reminds me of the Shodan Glados slash that's been circling the internet for a while now.

Amused statement: It led to discussion of a game where the two compete for the player's affection.

Bitter statement: Sadly, it will probably never come to pass.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

As to HK, he was entertaining the first time you played the game. But once that novelty has worn off, the fact that he's completely useless, and all the organic characters are better (especially in the second game) quickly overrides the appeal. Besides which making most of the other characters into Jedi is far more fun than whatever it is you get out of wasting your breath talking to droids.

Query: Did you have HK-47 fully upgraded with all Baragwin droid upgrades, and a Baragwin heavy repeating blaster, as well as completing all four of his upgrade mini-quests? I find it difficult to believe you found him inferior to the fragile and incompetent meatbags that comprised the crew of the Ebon Hawk at that time--with the possible exception of the various Jedi, of course. But violence always follows the Jedi, which can provide much entertainment for an HK unit.

The amusement factor. SHODAN is not as entertaining.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Query: Did you have HK-47 fully upgraded with all Baragwin droid upgrades, and a Baragwin heavy repeating blaster, as well as completing all four of his upgrade mini-quests? I find it difficult to believe you found him inferior to the fragile and incompetent meatbags that comprised the crew of the Ebon Hawk at that time--with the possible exception of the various Jedi, of course. But violence always follows the Jedi, which can provide much entertainment for an HK unit.
    For one, shooters are distinctly inferior to melee-based characters in the game (even if not as bad as in the first game). For two, dual-pistol shooters are better than rifle-users. HK loses out on both counts. He's not a patch on en-Jedi'd Mira or Atton as a shooter. He also can't whip out the healing/inspiration stuff whenever needed, or use a lightsaber when the enemy gets too close.
    Last edited by Kiero; 2009-01-30 at 03:43 PM.
    Wushu Open Reloaded

19. - Top - End - #19
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Funny, it feels like I just had this conversation. ;-)

However, I'll say what I said there: playing a droid in SW should be a trial from a couple different angles.

1) Extreme specialization. d6SW conveyed this very well... most droids had horrible attributes (1D for almost everything), but they had great skills. In their area of specialization, they were frighteningly competent. Outside of them, they were largely useless.

2) Social factors. In the eyes of the law, droids are not people. They're not even slaves. They're equipment. Droids don't just get refused service in shady cantinas, they get summarily shut down, their memories erased, etc. because their owners misbehaved. While this can have its upside (no one pays attention to droids, because they're not people), it also means that a person who keeps his droid with him at all times is kinda like the guy who's always got his blanket... it's visible and odd.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Concession: Engaging targets while you are alone is more effective in hand to hand combat.

Clarification: It should be noted that with 2 jedi or other wise melee inclined characters to back a fully upgraded HK-47 unit, The players capacity to create piles of dead meatbags is most assuredly worth the slot in your party

Statement: once fully upgraded and supplied the proper equipment, HK-47 is a strong threat and leaving the Ebon hawk with out his expert assistance would be inadvisable.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actually, in KotOR 2, the Exile could wipe the floor with enemies completely alone, especially by the end of the game. Stasis field & Force storm are powers to be reckoned with.
    This is a litany of lost things,
    a canon of possessions dispossessed,
    a photograph, an old address, a key.
    It is a list of words to memorize
    or to forget – of amo, amas, amat,
    the conjugations of a dead tongue
    in which the final sentence has been spoken.
    © Dana Gioia

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyLosstarot View Post
    Actually, in KotOR 2, the Exile could wipe the floor with enemies completely alone, especially by the end of the game. Stasis field & Force storm are powers to be reckoned with.
    Never mind the end of the game, get someone to cast Insanity and mop up the paralysed enemies. Even with my lightside Exile, I still had Kreia or Visas to do that for me.
    Wushu Open Reloaded

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm not too sure, since I've never played a Star wars RPG, but there's something appealing in a hero that communicates solely with beeps saving the world.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyLosstarot View Post
    Droids do seem pretty boring.
    Mostly because the list of possible character concepts is kinda short:
    we have either a "who am i?" inquisitive child(think "I,robot"), or a homicidal maniac/better-than-you type(like HK-47 and Skynet), or indeed a plot device(such as R2-D2 or the Terminator). Or we get an actual human character with different stats.

Although RP options are limited, any of abovementioned concepts may lead to interesting character interaction, which is actuzlly fun. Still, i don't think it's gonna last.

But hey, i wouldn't ban droids in my game: it's always good to have a little diversity in the party. even when they stop behaving droid-like(as in Darths&Droids), they are still metal guys who get blasted by ion guns and need repair instead of healing.
    I disagree with the RP restrictments. I have a droid character that fits neither of those molds.
    It's a wiseass. It's efficiency oriented. It can easily get annoyed at stupid things done. It's extremely intelligent. I don't think it's either an inquisitive child or a crazy psycho who thinks hes better than you yet he's still a very believable droid. I see no RP restriction.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Ditto. R2-D2 is the true hero of the star wars trilogy. At least 4-6.

Sci-Fi robots tend to get their appeal from human traits or some relation to them. R2-D2 is a tenacious little bugger, which we can understand through the beeps thanks to C3PO's and Luke's reactions. HK-47 has a lot of bastard personality. Data from Star Trek wants to be more like humans, even though he has the extra capabilities of an android. Etc.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was hoping to play a droid character in a upcoming sci-fi campaign, i really hadn't intended to make him a child like or psychopathic charter.....

I understand that some may not like droids, but i like them enough and i think that most people wouldn't feel to strongly one way or the other.....
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Smelling nice and mind control are, I fear, two completely different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Actually, I find your opinion perfectly reasonable. I'd be surprised if many people took issue with it.
    He's talking 'bout me!
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And then my father comes at me with the teapot and says "Why. So. British?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Hey, I can wait. I'm young with my entire life ahead of me. I'll dream of empires amongst the stars in worlds undreamt of if I wanna :p
    Quote Originally Posted by MasamuneSSX View Post
    There are no citizens, mind bananas. Go back to your control.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

Bollux & Blue Max in the Han Solo Adventures were a bit different from Artoo and Threepio.

I wonder how often Star Wars has done interesting droid heroes- more heroic than Threepio and better talkers than Artoo?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

We had somebody play a protocol droid; it was funny for a while, but eventually it was time for a change. I am not really that fussed about it. If somebody wants to play a droid, I would let them, but I would not give them any special consideration and I would make it clear from the start what problems might exist, just as with any other character concept.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

For one, shooters are distinctly inferior to melee-based characters in the game (even if not as bad as in the first game). For two, dual-pistol shooters are better than rifle-users.
    That isn't really correct. Although melee-ers can inflict damage faster that shooters, a shooter can utilize hit-and-run tactics to deal a continual barrage of shots to melee foes who can't even retaliate - without speed boosts, you will at worst be getting two rounds of shots off before they can deal an attack, giving you time to retreat farther. With Force speed or Plague, it's not even a contest.

As for pistols vs rifles/heavy weapons, Suvam's rifles and heavy weapons, fully upgraded, are definitely nastier than dual pistols.
    Last edited by Tohron; 2009-01-30 at 06:11 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Droid characters? Mad love for them. We use them as minions and such for main characters. Much easier to have droids do all the heavy lifting.

As for Droid PC's? Sure. They're fun and for players like me, who don't actually like to RP if we can avoid it, playing an unsocial droid with an E-web blaster in my chest is great.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2