New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #628 - The Discussion Thread

Dear Dragon:

Do it. DOOOOO EEEEEEET

I'm not a heartless monster, but I'm looking at two possibilities.

1. V responds to the THREAT of dead children by going momma/poppa bear mode, gaining eeeeeeeeeevil power, and kicking tail.

2. V's children (and probably mate) are killed. V is ruined, broken, and destroyed, and gives up everything to gain the eeeeeeevil power. And V can blame nobody but his/her own attitude and actions.

See?
    Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    You are presuming that Ridureyu is trying to be a troll.

I tend to think of him more as a Performance Artist, myself.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah V totally had this coming. Time to gain some well needed humility, and if it's at the loss of some NPC's, then oh well. This dragon is awesome.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I should point out that True Resurrection requires 25,000gc, not 5000gc. Big difference when all that has to be in diamonds and you have no horde. Even finding that many diamonds could take years and make a lot of enemies.
    And you don't just find level 17+ evil clerics just knocking about the countryside wavings signs. They keep themselves quiet, because if they don't then DMs might notice them and leave clues for an adventuring party to find.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    2. V's children (and probably mate) are killed. V is ruined, broken, and destroyed, and gives up everything to gain the eeeeeeevil power. And V can blame nobody but his/her own attitude and actions.

See?
    V can blame anybody, he's the kind of guy where nothing is ever his fault. he could blame Haley for getting lost, or roy for jumping the dragon. or something i haven't thought of.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Finwe View Post
    If V knew of a place/way to get a true res,
    *Cough*Durkon*Cough*
    No, V doesn't know anyone who can resurrect the dragon from the ashes that are dissolved into the swamp water. Because he/she obviously hasn't been traveling with a similar-level cleric for a year. And swamp-water-dissolved ashes obviously don't count as remnants of the dragon. (they might not count for resurrection unless they can concentrate enough of the ashes into one place, though...)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I only pray that the dragon gets better treatment than Kabuto did.

I like blurring the line between good and evil that Rich does so well. I was kinda hoping the dragon would kill V.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Halfling in the Playground

"Children" in quotation marks imply to me shes going to "kill" V's children metaphorically - by neuter/spaying.
    Last edited by Ryusacerdos; 2009-02-01 at 08:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Great comic as usual. I especially love the panel where the dragon bellows "NOTHING!" The "vibration effect" is brilliantly done there and clearly conveys the sensation of the ground shaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryusacerdos View Post
    "Children" in quotation marks imply to me shes going to "kill" V's children metaphorically - by neuter/spaying.
    Quotation marks? I see no quotation marks. Only bold face.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    *Cough*Durkon*Cough*
    No, V doesn't know anyone who can resurrect the dragon from the ashes that are dissolved into the swamp water. Because he/she obviously hasn't been traveling with a similar-level cleric for a year. And swamp-water-dissolved ashes obviously don't count as remnants of the dragon. (they might not count for resurrection unless they can concentrate enough of the ashes into one place, though...)
    Durkon is certainly incapable of casting True Resurrection, a 9th level spell. He's at least 3 levels away. Also, it's unlikely that the dissolved ashes would count as "remains" because they're so dilute. Also, getting 25,000 gp in diamonds is no small task, either.
    Last edited by Finwe; 2009-02-01 at 08:50 PM.
    Real wizards use staves

10. - Top - End - #190
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Can a dragon even be resurrected? Can't say the thought ever crossed my mind in my D&D days...of course the usual "Slay everything that moves to get the XP and treasure" mentality was rather pervasive in my group until much later on.

Great strip...now I'm on the edge of my seat for the next one!

11. - Top - End - #191

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lordhaw View Post
    Can a dragon even be resurrected? Can't say the thought ever crossed my mind in my D&D days...of course the usual "Slay everything that moves to get the XP and treasure" mentality was rather pervasive in my group until much later on.

Great strip...now I'm on the edge of my seat for the next one!
    Yes, they can. Almost any creature can.

In fact, if V were thinking during the battle, he could have taken part of the silver dragon's head, and Durkon could have resurrected it once they got on the boat, giving them a powerful new ally.
    Real wizards use staves

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GoC View Post
    Why doesn't the dragon just get V to pay for a true ressurection?
    a) Cost. A true ressurection costs 25,000 gp worth of diamonds. V may not have that much loot on hand.

b) Scarcity. As Belkar commented a number of strips back, about the only cleric they might know who can cast level 9 spells is Redcloak.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

"We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    V can blame anybody, he's the kind of guy where nothing is ever his fault. he could blame Haley for getting lost, or roy for jumping the dragon. or something i haven't thought of.
    Oh, of course. V is kind of like Miko in that way - you know, Miko, who is probably in hell right now, saying, "I categorically refuse to believe that this is not the Lawful Good HEaven. Thus, the gods are just playing with me, their greatest servant, who singlehandedly killed the evil Xykon, Roy, and that horrible ghost who pretended to be Soon."
    Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    You are presuming that Ridureyu is trying to be a troll.

I tend to think of him more as a Performance Artist, myself.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Dear gods! Im not going to read through 8 pages of discussion....Yet.

But did anyone else notice that the little bit of spit that came out of the dragons mouth sizzled on the ground? Acid. Scary.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Halfling in the Playground

And V can blame nobody but his/her own attitude and actions.
    Yeah V totally had this coming. Time to gain some well needed humility, and if it's at the loss of some NPC's, then oh well.
    V is female. An evil female, but female.
    Yes. Vaarsuvius clearly had this coming, after she:

1) Saved the party from a Chimera

2) Saved the party from a Hydra

3) Saved the party from the young Black that Momma Black is avenging. It should be noted here that V saved Haley directly from the young Black, as she had been ingested.

5) Saved Belkar from Miko

4) Saved several hundred lives at the Battle of Azure City, expending almost all of her spells and putting her own life in dire risk against the Titanium Elementals and the Death Knight. All of those deserters ONLY lived to desert because V held shut the breach.

5) Saved the refugee ship from Zombie/Goblin attack by tutoring Elan in the appropriate means of creating a believable illusion.

6) Saved the leaders of the refugee fleet from a four-hundred-foot demon.

7) Executed a traitorous lord, thus preventing him from weaseling out of repercussions, and as such indirectly saving the party, as well as the refugee fleet.

Yes, of course.

It is all clear to me.

V is evil and must be punished.

So the part where V says "I deny nothing", thus taking full responsibility for her actions escaped you?

Where is it written that a hero, a true form good guy, has to be humble and pleasant to be around and all that, in order to remain a hero and a true form good guy?
    Last edited by xv bones; 2009-02-01 at 09:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

This is yet another comic that I would've found a lot more dramatic if this hadn't been yet another cutaway from the plot I've been waiting 100+ strips to be resolved.

18. - Top - End - #198

Question Re: OOTS #628 - The Discussion Thread

Varsuvius. Has. CHILDREN?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Holy CRAP. V has kids?

This is getting goooooooood.
    In Pace Requiem.

20. - Top - End - #200

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by xv bones View Post
    Yes. Vaarsuvius clearly had this coming, after she:

1) Saved the party from a Chimera

2) Saved the party from a Hydra

3) Saved the party from the young Black that Momma Black is avenging. It should be noted here that V saved Haley directly from the young Black, as she had been ingested.

5) Saved Belkar from Miko

4) Saved several hundred lives at the Battle of Azure City, expending almost all of her spells and putting her own life in dire risk against the Titanium Elementals and the Death Knight. All of those deserters ONLY lived to desert because V held shut the breach.

5) Saved the refugee ship from Zombie/Goblin attack by tutoring Elan in the appropriate means of creating a believable illusion.

6) Saved the leaders of the refugee fleet from a four-hundred-foot demon.

7) Executed a traitorous lord, thus preventing him from weaseling out of repercussions, and as such indirectly saving the party, as well as the refugee fleet.

Yes, of course.

It is all clear to me.

V is evil and must be punished.

So the part where V says "I deny nothing", thus taking full responsibility for her actions escaped you?

Where is it written that a hero, a true form good guy, has to be humble and pleasant to be around and all that, in order to remain a hero and a true form good guy?
    What this guy said.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Pixie in the Playground

First off V doesn't have to be female. And second I didn't know V had kids I knew he was married but perhaps the dragon is wrong in assuming that V has kids.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Master Crossbowman of the Kings Arcane archers.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Thanks to Nevtan for the AWESOME avitar. (thanks)

My new motto; anything is flammable

22. - Top - End - #202

BarbarianGuy

Which party leader was wearing Daddy-dragon's hide?

23. - Top - End - #203
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finwe View Post
    Her horde was stolen! She's not rich anymore!
    It occurs to me that Haley is lucky the dragon only wants terrible revenge on Vaarsuvius, or she could find herself being presented with two bills for money she stole and no longer has.

24. - Top - End - #204

Quote Originally Posted by iamseph View Post
    I should point out that True Resurrection requires 25,000gc, not 5000gc. Big difference when all that has to be in diamonds and you have no horde. Even finding that many diamonds could take years and make a lot of enemies.
    And you don't just find level 17+ evil clerics just knocking about the countryside wavings signs. They keep themselves quiet, because if they don't then DMs might notice them and leave clues for an adventuring party to find.
    I don't even think I encounted 17,000 gp worth of diamonds throughout ALL of Neverwinter Nights 2 AND its Expansions.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yay, personal vendetta FTW! Also: more V. More, MORE!!
    I think this will be the deciding point about Vs alignment. How it plays out will be crucial. I reckon he will reunite with OOTS though, having the talk with the dragon will make h** realise their strengths.

26. - Top - End - #206

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    Oh, of course. V is kind of like Miko in that way - you know, Miko, who is probably in hell right now, saying, "I categorically refuse to believe that this is not the Lawful Good HEaven. Thus, the gods are just playing with me, their greatest servant, who singlehandedly killed the evil Xykon, Roy, and that horrible ghost who pretended to be Soon."
    I can almost with complete certainty state that Miko is NOT in the Hells, at worst she would be in the City of the False on the Fugue Plane (if Fearun), in this universe assuming base D&D I would argue she is with whatever planes the 12 Gods reside albeit in disgrace but at least with forgiveness.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by puppyavenger View Post
    Showing once again that you should never trust a kobold.
    I don't know how to say this...
    mmmm...

WHY?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin 89 View Post
    Now we know the motives of the black dragon and this answers a few questions. The main question that is raised is whether V is the mother or the father of the mentioned children? I anticipate an appearance by V's mate soon.
    My money says that V's mate will be even more androgynous.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

29. - Top - End - #209
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Re: Moral ambiguity, I think the error here is in thinking people are wholly good or bad. The idea of alignment plays into this thinking. I agree that V crossed a line with the disintigration, and is high in hubris, but neither of these remove the fact that V has acted heroically on many, many occasions.

Nor does V's heroism excuse any of hir flaws. V is what V is, folks, and it's all a single package. Asking whether V is good with evil actions or evil with good actions is like asking whether a zebra is black with white stripes or white with black stripes. The labels aren't meant to contain a whole person.

Re: sympathy for the dragon, the same thing applies. It's an awful thing that happened, a mother's worst nightmare, and the pain never heals. OTOH, none of that justifies killing people who weren't involved. Again with the zebra thing.

Re: the previous black dragon fight, I think the dragon was justified in defending its home against intruders, but throwing around legal concepts like B&E, felony, and murder are a stretch. Law is not morality, and D&D is lacking in both.

Re: the strip--pure genius, right to the last panel! I was ready for everything but that.

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by Escef View Post
    I'll say this: that dragon knows how to hurt people. Seriously, kill someone and they're dead, the suffering has ended. Let them sit impotent as you kill the people they care about? Pure torture.

As for the imp, once the dragon leaves V will be stuck on this island with no high level spells. The imp negotiates with V again.

"If not for the Dimensional Anchor I could Teleport. Anywhere. Even bring someone with me. In fact, I could teleport anywhere in the world. Yup. Including any place where a certain androgynous elf's children might be. You wouldn't happen to know of someone who could get rid of a Dimensional Anchor, would you?"
    You know, this makes an uncanny argument you could make, a loop hole if you will, V could argue that she had the Imp "trapped" and would release him in exchange for aid. The Imp would probably accept in the hopes as a first step towards the end result of the Pact Insidious but would give V the oppurtunity to avoid getting damned.

I love Bargains :)