New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default 4e- Even gnomes can be sexy

See, now, I like 4e but... well, check this previewed image of the gnome race from the PHB2

Edit: Is she wearing a thong and chaps?
    Last edited by Asbestos; 2009-02-02 at 01:45 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 4e- Even gnomes can be sexy

You say this like it's a bad thing!
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Aw, they took away part of their whimsical aspect! That's what made them such a blast to play!
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

4. - Top - End - #4

They look like shorter elves. I am underwhelmed.

5. - Top - End - #5

that picture has done nothing to change how much i hate gnomes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zousha Omenohu View Post
    Aw, they took away part of their whimsical aspect! That's what made them such a blast to play!
    I don't think you should necessarily jump to conclusions so quickly.

This is a picture of two gnomes who are presumably adventurers. They're probably gruff and serious because their job, which amounts to "go into lair of hideous monsters and ridiculously contrived traps and puzzles, and hope your teammates don't murder you once you find the treasure that may or may not be at the bottom of the dungeon" does not have a very high survival rate. The next door they open could very well have 45 Explosive Runes and a dispel magic trap attached to it, so one can't afford to be very whimsical.

Just like not all humans take after the two humans pictured in the PHB, I assume gnomes are rather diverse, and the average gnome is probably very whimsical, having been brought back to their fey roots in 4ed.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestos View Post
    Is she wearing a thong and chaps?
    Nope. That's not her skin, it's the same metal as her shoulders, bracers and the tops of her boots. She's wearing some kind of... hip armor. And a bronze corset?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I find it odd that the male gnome, who is a bard (check the lute neck sticking up over his shoulder) is wearing what appears to be chainmail armor. I find this odd because, assuming they keep their stats, gnome bards would usually be virtue of cunning and have 16+ intelligence, giving them equal defense and superior mobility in hide armor.

OCD nitpicking aside, gnomes were always awesome. I'm a bit lukewarm on making them sexy though, as it might end up diluting some of their awesomeness.

Kind of hope they replace reactive stealth. It's cool and all, but hard to utilize with any of the classes gnomes are otherwise optimized for.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

4e? I take it you never saw that picture of the female gnome in Paizo's (3e-ish) Pathfinder Player's Handbook. RAWR!

Quote Originally Posted by Lordsmoothe View Post
    I find it odd that the male gnome, who is a bard (check the lute neck sticking up over his shoulder) is wearing what appears to be chainmail armor. I find this odd because, assuming they keep their stats, gnome bards would usually be virtue of cunning and have 16+ intelligence, giving them equal defense and superior mobility in hide armor.
    Because 4e definitely has Perform (lute) as a skill only available to bards. Perish the thought of a fighter (or a member of any other class) learning to play a musical instrument...
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2009-02-02 at 03:56 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nohwl View Post
    that picture has done nothing to change how much i hate gnomes.
    I'm in the same boat as this guy.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

This is a picture of two gnomes who are presumably adventurers. They're probably gruff and serious because their job, which amounts to "go into lair of hideous monsters and ridiculously contrived traps and puzzles, and hope your teammates don't murder you once you find the treasure that may or may not be at the bottom of the dungeon" does not have a very high survival rate. The next door they open could very well have 45 Explosive Runes and a dispel magic trap attached to it, so one can't afford to be very whimsical.
    Yes everyone is super serial there's no room for happy people in dungeons! But seriously, I think there's plenty of precedent for "upbeat heroes" in the various source materials.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_warlock View Post
    4e? I take it you never saw that picture of the female gnome in Paizo's (3e-ish) Pathfinder Player's Handbook. RAWR!

Because 4e definitely has Perform (lute) as a skill only available to bards. Perish the thought of a fighter (or a member of any other class) learning to play a musical instrument...
    And toting it around? Certainly the artist made sure to show the lute to tell us something about the character.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Maybe he's a bard, but poorly optimized?
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2009-02-02 at 04:59 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Well, that look as small elves, could have been worse, but i think the gnomes was way too little distinctive or remarkable, so maybe this is for the better.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teron View Post
    They look like shorter elves. I am underwhelmed.
    This.

That gnome guy is hot, but that's what elves and half-elves are for.

My god that female is skanky....

15. - Top - End - #15

The female seems to be remarkably confused by the dagger she's holding, like she's not sure what is or what it's for.
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starshade View Post
    Well, that look as small elves, could have been worse, but i think the gnomes was way too little distinctive or remarkable, so maybe this is for the better.
    ...so making them look like small elves makes them more distinctive?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Starshade View Post
    Gnomes were distinctive in 1st and 2nd edition. Physically, they resembled slender dwarves, with smaller beards, darker skin (tending towards shades of brown), lighter hair (tending towards blondes and whites), and light eyes (though dark eyes weren't terribly uncommon). They also had impressively-sized noses, of which they were quite proud.

As of 3e, the gnose got down-sized, the skin color ran the gamut, and they became "short elves with beards" in the artwork.

Of course, this is the edition that shaved all the dwarven women, so I'm not surprised.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_warlock View Post
    Yeah, 'cause you totally need a skill to play an instrument in D&D. Perish the thought of a character knowing how to play an instrument 'cause the player said so.

*ponders whether or not mentioning 4e bards don't need to play an instrument to use their spells will make the poster flip*

*also contemplates reminding him that 3.x (or Pathfinder) fighters don't have perform as a class skill*
    Last edited by Panda-s1; 2009-02-05 at 01:08 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

But... 3.5 already had the perfect gnome!

People pay thousands of dollars for diamonds, even though diamonds do nothing but look pretty.
    A video game suit of armor looks pretty and protects you from video game orcs.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-s1 View Post
    Yeah, 'cause you totally need a skill to play an instrument in D&D. Perish the thought of a character knowing how to play an instrument 'cause the player said so.

*ponders whether or not mentioning 4e bards don't need to play an instrument to use their spells will make the poster flip*

*also contemplates reminding him that 3.x (or Pathfinder) fighters don't have perform as a class skill*
    Your sarcasm detector is broken.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I always thought the female gnome in D&D 3.5 was pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

22. - Top - End - #22

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ellisthion View Post
    But... 3.5 already had the perfect gnome!

Yeah, he is a good gnome, but he really just seems like a short dude with pointy ears about to impale his hand.

I like the pitch black eye quality of the new gnome, makes them seem more alien, more fantastical than David the Gnome could ever be. The old gnomes would sell you beets and pick your pocket. The new gnomes seem like they'd steal your kidneys. They just appear to be more fey, in the traditional, almost malicious sense to me.

Also, I like how they don't look like kids, sure that female is short, but she doesn't have the creepily child-like quality of the Pathfinder gnome, who looks like she's auditioning for Lazy Town. (no offense to the dude that said 'rawr' about that gnome)

@whoever said that thing about her questioning the dagger: Dude! Awesome. I now imagine her 'listening' to the dagger as it tells her to plunge it into the back of the man in front of her. "Yes, dagger..." God, I need to stop PWI.
    Last edited by Asbestos; 2009-02-05 at 01:41 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Is this a dagger I see before me?!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

I can't believe I'm saying this, as I got as annoyed as anyone else by the inane repetitions of "4e is an MMO!!!!!11111" posts in days of yore, but ...

That picture looks disturbingly like a screenshot from an MMO.

Which immediately turns me off towards everything 4e-Gnome-related. Forever.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestos View Post
    See, now, I like 4e but... well, check this previewed image of the gnome race from the PHB2

Oh great. Now we have 4 (or should that be 3 1/2?) races of pointy-eared magical metrosexuals instead of a second (unnecessary) Dwarf race.

"Hey Ma. Guess what. I'm a hipster." -- WOTC's 4E Gnome, in interview

26. - Top - End - #26

Wow...

Those gnomes do not look anything like I would have imagined. "Going back to the fey roots"? No way. They look like characters from WoW, and the girl looks like a stripper.
    Planetkiller avatar by The Randomizer

27. - Top - End - #27

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Charl View Post
    Wow...

Those gnomes do not look anything like I would have imagined. "Going back to the fey roots"? No way. They look like characters from WoW, and the girl looks like a stripper.
    @You and the other guy that said the MMO thing: I'm looking for it and reaaaaly not seeing it. I think you guys are really stretching it on this one.

@bosssmiley: That has always been the tragic position of gnomes, stuck between elf-like and dwarf-like.

Btw, someone took some pictures of the PHB 2 pregren characters from DDXP and it seems that gnomes start with Ghost Sound as a racial encounter power, that and a +5 to saves against illusions is what separates them from the gnome in the MM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

They don't look anything like WoW Gnomes, but they do look like Blood Elves with smaller ears, so that's reason enough to dislike them.

Oh well, at least they're not Dragonlance Gnomes.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I play WoW, and I'm not seeing much direct resemblance, either to WoW gnomes or WoW Belfs.

I had a post earlier that got eaten by forum troubles, but basically, I think they're trying to go for a more savage Fae aspect, which I applaud. Someone pointed out the eyes; I think that's one of the first things you can notice.

These gnomes aren't necessarily nice, cuddly little tricksters. They might be out to eat your face, or something.

Part of what they seem to be doing here is widening the difference between gnomes and halflings, without having one of them be the size of a newborn human or something (that would be like WoW gnomes, incidentally).

If they're sticking with Gnomes being innately illusion-y, maybe they'll have connection to the Shadowfell as well as the Feywild?
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

30. - Top - End - #30

Well, I've actually never played WoW, just seen the occasional screenshots, but the general look is very modern MMO-like in my opinion.

I miss the old days when heroes looked like heroes and female armour covered more than 1/5 of the body.
    Planetkiller avatar by The Randomizer