New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Quit blushing, dang it!

Hello everyone. In the last couple months I, who am a male college sophomore, have become good friends with a freshman girl at my college. In January, I started hanging out with her daily (and have kept that up, with a few exceptions). I have several issues, and I 1) would like to know whether any of you experience similar "problems" and 2) would like some advice on how to handle the situation.

First, when I start hanging out with someone on a regular basis as I become this person's friend, I tend to obsess about that person. This is true regardless of whether the new friend is a girl or a guy (and, btw, I am purely heterosexual). However, when the new friend is a girl, this tends to make people think I have a crush on the girl.

Second, I discovered that this particular girl is amazingly comfortable with hugs and glomps (and even playing with her hair) from friends. As I am a person who practically lives off of hugs (I have an emotional need met by such physical affection) and doesn't get very many at college, I was made very happy by this discovery, since I am also comfortable hugging friends.

Now for the real issue: Obviously, my obsession and hugging (my obsession only showing itself through the fact that I hang out with her practically all the time and that I talk about her frequently - making my obsession obvious to all but not inappropriate) have led many to believe that I have a crush on her. In fact, she is the only one who believes me that I don't. Now, this wouldn't bother me so much, except that one other girl who is with the two of us rather frequently (and who loves to torment me in many other ways I won't mention...good grief, she's such a sadist, but somehow still friends with my friend...) likes to continually make mention of my supposed crush and poke fun at me, etc. about it. Again, this wouldn't be such a big issue, but.... well, despite the fact that I don't have a crush on her, every time this other person tries to make me blush, I do. I can't help it, and I don't know why.

So, comments? Suggestions? Similar stories?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Quit blushing, dang it!

Leaving aside the mysterious question on why you are blushing, your best bet is to make the blushing unnoticable.

Usually, a thick layer of makeup will conceal changes to the underlying skin colour. But since you are a man, its not likely to go down well.

A slighty more acceptable but subjective solution is to give yourself a nice dark suntan/sunburn, because lets face it its harder to tell that someone's face is turning red when its red or brown to start with.

If you have a flushing reaction to alcohol, relying on that to conceal blushing might also work, but comes with the probelm of semi-constant inebriation.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Chances are, the friend you are talking about has already noticed it.
    On what to do, I have no idea.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Well, you won't blush so much with less blood; I proscribe leeches.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I had a sort-of similar problem once. I responded by not caring. I know it isn't the solution for everyone, but I find it works quite well.

What the heck is a "glomp?"

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    If you have a flushing reaction to alcohol, relying on that to conceal blushing might also work, but comes with the probelm of semi-constant inebriation.
    Problem?
    Witch Hunter Avatar by Dr. Bath
    FFRP:
    Jacob Morin
    Jason [Trinity]
    Alamar
    Hyde

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Next time this other female friend starts to poke fun at you about the crush, just play along with it, and see if you can find something witty to say. Most of the time, people do these types of things because they know it will get a rise, or an unfavorable reaction out of you. But, if you can learn to laugh it off, she'll likely give up on making fun of the situation because it's generally no fun when you know that it's not a big deal to that person.
    Grinning Purple Gelatinous Cube avatar courtesy of Lord_Herman
    Attacking Cube courtesy of Sampi
    Current avatar courtesy of Rutskarn

My GiTP stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM
    Currently none

Player
    currently none

Creations:
    Fimbulwight

I have my own RB thread right here.

Come and join in the newly minted Fictional Character Contest

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    My life, in a nutshell, two years ago.
    Yep. Definitely been there. You'll not want my outcome, though, because mine went beyond mere glomps; she kept pushing the uncomfortable envelope until eventually she tried something serious and I had to put a stop to it. All of it.

Doesn't help that I now have a crush on her.

In the meantime, I suggest you enjoy that you can have a positive non-sexual intimate relationship with this person. Being able to share your personal space, especially in ways that make you feel comfortable and appreciated, is a rare blessing.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Next time the 3rd party starts ribbin' you for having a crush on the plutonic friend, say "No, i've got a crush on you!".

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Yep. Definitely been there. You'll not want my outcome, though, because mine went beyond mere glomps; she kept pushing the uncomfortable envelope until eventually she tried something serious and I had to put a stop to it. All of it.

Doesn't help that I now have a crush on her.

In the meantime, I suggest you enjoy that you can have a positive non-sexual intimate relationship with this person. Being able to share your personal space, especially in ways that make you feel comfortable and appreciated, is a rare blessing.
    aye, very rare, these days not a lot of people are able share to their personal space in a non-sexual manner like that.....I don't why, but that sounds kinda sad.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    What the heck is a "glomp?"
    Ladies and Gentlemen, The Glomp.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trizap View Post
    aye, very rare, these days not a lot of people are able share to their personal space in a non-sexual manner like that.....I don't why, but that sounds kinda sad.
    Societal pressures, hormones, the culture of sexual risk and sexual satisfaction, general level of trust and the current standard of mores. All major obstacles, and it's very sad, because it's become a knee-jerk reaction where contact is seen as sexual and needs to be reacted to as such a message.

Myself, I just hate being touched, so I was really appreciative of actually being able to share space with another person. I don't understand how or why it happened, but it made me happy and it made her happy. Our flaming faceted friend seems to have stumbled upon a similar openness, and I hope it remains a positive factor in his life.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen, The Glomp.
    Ah, yes. Kids these days, amiright?

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Societal pressures, hormones, the culture of sexual risk and sexual satisfaction, general level of trust and the current standard of mores. All major obstacles, and it's very sad, because it's become a knee-jerk reaction where contact is seen as sexual and needs to be reacted to as such a message.

Myself, I just hate being touched, so I was really appreciative of actually being able to share space with another person. I don't understand how or why it happened, but it made me happy and it made her happy. Our flaming faceted friend seems to have stumbled upon a similar openness, and I hope it remains a positive factor in his life.
    heh. then you are more social than me, cause while everyone else is talking to each other in groups and listening to music, I'm all alone enjoying the silence, thinking to myself. I like it that way actually, though I can see how people would enjoy being social and being with other people, me I dunno why, but I just prefer being a lone wolf. that and I'm kind awkward in social situations, your probably better off socially than I am

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

stop fighting her on it.
    just laugh and roll with it. hasn't failed me yet.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    Now, this wouldn't bother me so much, except that one other girl who is with the two of us rather frequently (and who loves to torment me in many other ways I won't mention...good grief, she's such a sadist, but somehow still friends with my friend...) likes to continually make mention of my supposed crush and poke fun at me, etc. about it.
    Say that it's really HER that has a crush on your friend and she's trying to cover it up by saying that you do. Tell her it's OK, you're there for her and admitting her feelings will just make it easier for everyone... Also tell her that both you and your friend are perfectly OK with her being lesbian and you can help her come out of the closet
    Last edited by Don Julio Anejo; 2009-02-08 at 12:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

heh. then you are more social than me, cause while everyone else is talking to each other in groups and listening to music, I'm all alone enjoying the silence, thinking to myself. I like it that way actually, though I can see how people would enjoy being social and being with other people, me I dunno why, but I just prefer being a lone wolf. that and I'm kind awkward in social situations, your probably better off socially than I am
    Not very. You'd be amazed what kind of an obstacle it is. I mean, I really hate being touched.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Warpfire777 View Post
    Problem?
    Because sometimes, you need to drive.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

how strangely appropriate... three years ago I was in a similar situation, in which everyone thought we were married and the friend just thought of us as friends- and thanks to everyone constantly telling me what a great couple we make etc etc, I quickly developed a crush on them. Eventually things sorted themselves out, and I ended up with my current partner- and have been in a happy secure relationship for two and a half years... Then just a couple of days ago my old crush makes a revelation- that they'd developed a crush on me... so ja, much confusion

my advice to you, is ignore what other people say- it doesnt matter if you blush all the time cos so do I, and it isnt an instant sign that you're in love with someone. and be careful if you do start crushing on her, and also watch out for her crushing on you. and try not to get into the situation i'm in, with a loving partner and someone who's getting depressed cos they cant have me >.>

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Ditto me that.
    I love the silence, my chronic migraine doesn't make me love it any less.
    Sadly there are few silent places where I can be alone, so I sometimes hang out with people in breaks between lessons.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

RedKnightGirl

Do it with both of them. You'll never blush again. Plus you'll never hear any more of that crush talk. It's fun. You should try it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Because sometimes, you need to drive.
    Point.

Counterpoint: less constantly drunk friends.

Also, slightly on topic: Canadian gives good advice. Especially if he means at the same time.
    Witch Hunter Avatar by Dr. Bath
    FFRP:
    Jacob Morin
    Jason [Trinity]
    Alamar
    Hyde

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

From personal experience I've learned that somebody whose teasing you gets a lot more interested upon finding it's something you do NOT enjoy. If you don't like getting teased about this girl, you'll have to pretend like it doesn't bother you at all. Play along, even. If people think you've accepted it, they'll stop talking about it. Tell the girl you don't like your plan, though..if you play along with it she might think you like her, too, which you probably don't want.

Next time the 3rd party starts ribbin' you for having a crush on the plutonic friend, say "No, i've got a crush on you!".
    or that works too.

I know it's not much of advice but, really, if you don't let it bother you it'll stop. and i should take my own advice
    "This isn't how I thought I'd turn out.."

I am fairly agile, I can bend and not break..or break and take it with a smile
    Im so resilient, I recover quickly I will soon convince you that im fine

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Are you sure you don't like her?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Are you sure you don't like her?
    ...I didn't want to say it, but yeah...exactly what I was thinking.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Well played.

Good game all.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grail View Post
    having a crush on the plutonic friend,
    You mean she's cold and distant and doesn't count as a planet anymore?

Back on topic: Congratulations. You now have a She's Not My Girlfriend situation, except where you both actually do admit being friendly to each other. From my point of view, you've got yourself a girlfriend.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    You mean she's cold and distant and doesn't count as a planet anymore?

Back on topic: Congratulations. You now have a She's Not My Girlfriend situation, except where you both actually do admit being friendly to each other. From my point of view, you've got yourself a girlfriend.
    Yeah, I think this is the situation. You may as well admit it.
    I've noticed that those who are quick to say that they don't have a crush on someone else usually do.

I wish you the best of luck.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    ...I didn't want to say it, but yeah...exactly what I was thinking.
    Well, y'know. Seemed a tad knee-jerky, possibly more offended at people putting words in his mouth than actually having considered things through.

Which is all well and good. I'm not saying he likes her or doesn't like her. or if it's even a he-she situation. I know I got pretty angry at a friend of mine that I had a crush on for her seemingly out of the blue starting to say "I think of you as a brother" and that we were far too much friends to ever think of dating me. Partially since we weren't that close that I warranted being called a brother. And her own argument and the fact that she felt she had to preempt me trying to do something unpleasant to show my feelings for her showed that she didn't truly think of me as a brother.

Then again, she is from kentucky, but god I hope she didn't have to worry about relatives lusting after her.

Back to the point. Think things over. Don't let the decision be made for you by going with or going against what this person is putting pressure on you to do.

Make your own decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    I like it.

In seriousness though, eh - it doesnt matter. I also often blush when people accuse me of something embarassing, whether I've done it or not, in the same way innocent people get nervous and jittery when police are around. Even though you have nothing to hide, it's still easy to look as if you do.

I reccomend asking your other friend to stop. Nicely and first, pointedly if your demands are not met. If that doesn't work, Don Julio's advice would probably get her to shut up. Outside of that, just ignore it - people will go on thinking and saying what they want and theres nothing you can do to stop them, but they will sooner or later forget about it if you don't provide any entertaining reaction.
    Live, Laugh, Learn, Love,
    and Look both ways
    when you cross the street