New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Warrior Oriented Campaign Help

I want to do a Complete Warrior styled campaign, but I need the ability to make maps to show positions quickly and easily.

((The idea was that I would use the play by post forums here.))

Can anyone point me to a way of making maps that could fill the purpose? They don't need to be elaborate, simplicity and expedience is the most important factor here.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Warrior Oriented Campaign Help

Quote Originally Posted by Brom View Post
    I want to do a Complete Warrior styled campaign, but I need the ability to make maps to show positions quickly and easily.

((The idea was that I would use the play by post forums here.))

Can anyone point me to a way of making maps that could fill the purpose? They don't need to be elaborate, simplicity and expedience is the most important factor here.
    A lot of hobby stores will sell vinyl battle mats. You can draw on them using water-soluble markers and wipe them clean again with ease. No smudging, unlike with dry-erase markers (which are inadvisable to use on the mat).

You can then use mini's, coins, chess pieces or mark directly on the mat to denote position.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

This thread will have more success in the main Gaming forum. I'll go mention it to a local mod.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

If you're doing Play-by-Post, you could just use MS Paint, Excel, Inkscape, or anything similar. Just do up a grid, put some colors on it, and save it. Once you have combat start, you just have to change some letters/markers around to show where monsters and PCs are and you're all set. You can use Photobucket or any other photo uploading sites to store the stuff online.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Where can I get MS Paint or Inkscape?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brom View Post
    Where can I get MS Paint or Inkscape?
    Paint comes with Windows, so chances are you have it already.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

You could look in to the program MapTool, which handles grids, tokens etc. for you; you can arrange the map from round to round, take a screenshot, and post it somewhere like Imageshack or Photobucket.

You will definitely need free image hosting; Google the above-mentioned sites and pick one (or some other - there are plenty).

MS Paint comes with Windows. Inkscape is available for free; Google the name. GIMP may also help you with preparing maps and/or tokens/icons/"minis"; it's also freely available. Uhm, might be best to Google "GNU Image Manipulation Project" in that case.