New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default New Flaws! [PEACH]

Dyslexia (General)
    You have severe, debilitating dyslexia. Lesser, non-debilitating forms of dyslexia should be roleplayed.
    Disadvantage: You must make a DC 15 Intelligence check to comprehend any and all messages written in a language you know.
    Special: You fail to comprehend any and all messages written in a language you do not know normally. Barbarians with this flaw cannot become literate.

Fumble-Fingered (General)
    Though you may be quite coordinated in other ways, you constantly have trouble with delicate manipulation.
    Disadvantage: Treat your Dexterity as being 10 points lower for the purpose of the Open Lock and Sleight of Hand skills. Furthermore, you take a -4 penalty on Disable Device checks.
    Special: A character may not have both this flaw and the Nimble Fingers or Deft Hands feats.

Illiteracy (General)
    You do not and cannot understand the connection between writing and language, and thus are unable to read.
    Disadvantage: You cannot read, and can never learn to read. This means, among other things, that you cannot use scrolls.
    Special: Wizards cannot take this flaw. Barbarians who take this flaw lose 2 skill points in addition to the normal effects of this flaw.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: New Flaws! [PEACH]

They all have a nice flavor, that's sure, but I think Fumbled-Fingered is too focused. Sure, it waekens a rogue a lot but what kind of fighter/wizard/barbarian would use those skills. As long as you aren't a rogue, this flaw is nearly a free Bonus feat.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

THAT is a very good point.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Is anyone else thinking that the Int Check DC for Dyslexia should be higher?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lower. Dyslexia isn't all that bad. I'd say DC 10 and make Wizards take an hour longer to prepare spells to counterbalance their high intelligence.
    Member of a fanclub.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skyserpent
    Lower. Dyslexia isn't all that bad. I'd say DC 10 and make Wizards take an hour longer to prepare spells to counterbalance their high intelligence.
    The description specifically says, "You have severe, debilitating dyslexia. Lesser, non-debilitating forms of dyslexia should be roleplayed."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

A severe, debilitating dyslexia should probably require a DC 20 Int check, so that most people have to take 20 to understand what normal people can take 10 on (and thus, the roll is really only called into question with this guy).

I think it works out nicely. Forces them to slow down or get lucky.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

If u have the dyslexia one u should have a certain chance on screwing up scrolls/spellbooks and the like because u might spell the words backwords.
    I cast enlarge on the uranium. What do you mean critical mass!!!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

That's already covered by the Intelligence check.

10. - Top - End - #10

I still don't see how Dyslexia can be all that FUN though. Flaws are to add flavor. Not Gimp people. I don't see why too many people would choose this flaw over, let's say, illiteracy. Because it seems illiteracy is FAR better than dyslexia. Or at least simpler, which would make it more commonly used.
    Member of a fanclub.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Because with Dyslexia, you at least have a chance of reading something right.

12. - Top - End - #12

Hm... a slim chance not enough for a lot of people to warrant taking it. I admit it's availability would be appreciated though I can see that one as being less used than, say, Fumble Fingered and Illiteracy...
    Member of a fanclub.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dyslexia would be a very interesting flaw for a truespeaker.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Illogical
    You find it difficult to draw information to its logical conclusion. (i.e., "connect the dots")
    Disadvantage: You take a -4 penalty on all Sense Motive and Intelligence checks.
    Read, read, read, read the homebrew!

Character design on villains is so much more fun.

"So you have no more fear? Then there's nothing left to threaten you with, is there? You are completely free."--V

"Concealed behind strong barriers the heart becomes ice."--Darwi Odrade

kupo!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm not really an expert on this kind of thing (never played really) but I think I can help. Maybe with the Fumble-Fingered flaw the character could be more easily disarmed (a negative effect to fighters) and have difficulty performing difficult hand gestures (resulting in a lower chance of success when casting a spell that requires gestures), and perhaps have illegible handwriting. Maybe this balances things out (except perhaps for a monk or something). As I said, I'm not an expert, so you'll still have to work out the technicalities.

Also, is there a Hayfever flaw?

16. - Top - End - #16

Dragon Magazine had a dwarf flaw like that. Stubby Fingers, where you can't hold a weapon in one hand. and you get disarmed easily.
    Member of a fanclub.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Bumping post re-org.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I don't think dislexia should be cured by the spell comprehend languages, and they should get a negative to desipher script checks ;P

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hario
    I don't think dislexia should be cured by the spell comprehend languages, and they should get a negative to desipher script checks ;P
    Flaws shouldn't be "curable'.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis
    Flaws shouldn't be "curable'.
    yes hence my point you should put that comprehend languages automatically fails. Otherwise its just cheese getting around a spell.

21. - Top - End - #21

Suggestion on the Fumble-Fingered flaw:

Open Lock or Sleight of Hand must be a class skill to take this flaw.

This prevents the world of fighters, wizards and such from taking it, while leaving it open to classes that would actually have to consider if the negatives are worth the gain.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

there already are flaws that people take for their builds like non-combatant goes on pretty much any ranged or spellcaster build... I would say no matter what ability score or skill points put into it, you must always have those at a negative. btw the spell 'knock' would still get you out of it in most cases which is :/.. it really shouldn't though...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

What kind of a bonuses do you think paraplegia or quadriplegia would give if taken as a flaw?
    Ad maiorem Dei gloriam.
    Thanks to Ceika for the great avatar.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Genome
    What kind of a bonuses do you think paraplegia or quadriplegia would give if taken as a flaw?
    "This character cannot move or fight."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

Magic items can overcome that, and you can take Still Spell. I'm tempted to see what my DM will give me for taking it.
    Ad maiorem Dei gloriam.
    Thanks to Ceika for the great avatar.

26. - Top - End - #26

Alter self 3/day?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Revision Time!

Dyslexia (General)
    You have severe, debilitating dyslexia. Lesser, non-debilitating forms of dyslexia should be roleplayed.
    Disadvantage: You must make a DC 20 Intelligence check to comprehend any and all messages written in a language you know. You take -4 to all Decipher Script checks.
    Special: You fail to comprehend any and all messages written in a language you do not know normally. Barbarians with this flaw cannot become literate. Acharacter under the effects of a comprehend languages spell must still attempt the Int check to decipher written messages.

Fumble-Fingered (General)
    Though you may be quite coordinated in other ways, you constantly have trouble with delicate manipulation.
    Disadvantage: Treat your Dexterity as being 10 points lower (minimum 1) for the purpose of the Open Lock and Sleight of Hand skills. Furthermore, you take a -4 penalty on Disable Device checks, and arcane spells with somatic components that you cast have a 10% chance of failure.
    Special: A character may not have both this flaw and the Nimble Fingers or Deft Hands feats. No character may take this flaw unless Open Lock and/or Sleight of Hand are class skills.

Illiteracy (General)
    You do not and cannot understand the connection between writing and language, and thus are unable to read.
    Disadvantage: You cannot read, and can never learn to read. This means, among other things, that you cannot use scrolls.
    Special: Wizards cannot take this flaw. Barbarians who take this flaw lose 2 skill points in addition to the normal effects of this flaw. This flaw is incompatible with Dyslexia.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindemiatrix, the Nothing Star
    Illogical
    You find it difficult to draw information to its logical conclusion. (i.e., "connect the dots")
    Disadvantage: You take a -4 penalty on all Sense Motive and Intelligence checks.
    I like this. Thanks, VtNS. I hope you don't mind if I appropriate it.

4dsheep Also, is there a Hayfever flaw?
    Hmmm...

Allergy (General)
    You are allergic to something.
    Disadvantage: Choose a common substance that you are allergic to. Whenever the DM determines that you come into contact with your allergen, you must make a Fort save against DC 15 or become sickened for as long as contact persists, plus 1d6 days.

How's that?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Sweet. Now I can play a character with an allergy to starmetal. Or Waterford crystal.

You shoud probably specify that it be a common material.

Otherwise, I'll be wandering around with a free feat because I'm allergic to Illithid saliva. (and once the saliva gets on you, it's too late anyway.)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Fixed.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I got a question: What would be the dc/changes and on what for a problem like an advanced case of near sidedness-I in reality cant read large letters past 4 feet but can allways see blured images and colours at a distance..maby higher search but lower spot?
    DM: You cant burn down a stone door.-Cerberus: Watch me.