New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default I only have the core books what do i do?

as the DM i only got the three main books but im interested in expanding outside those general ideas and only so many combinations of monsters in plains can be done. what books should i get first and dont use acronyms i need the actual title. thankyou!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: I only have the core books what do i do?

Dungeonscape is nice. There's also a thread somewhere on the first 2 pages here on the best 5 supplements. Obviously it will be different for DMs than players, but it's a starting point.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

After core, as a DM looking for more monsters, try the other monster manuals (although some are better than others).
    If you want more races for NPC opponants, try the Races of x series (x being either 'Stone' 'the Wild' 'Ebberon' 'the Dragon' or 'Destiny').
    If you want more different locations with a few monsters and new races, try; Sandstorm, Frostburn, Stormwrack or Underdark (Underdark is 3e, not 3.5e if it makes a difference). Others include; Expanded Psionics Handbook and Magic of Incarnum (although these two don't have places as well).
    If you want more classes and prestige classes, get the Complete Series (Complete Adventurer, Warrior, Arcane, Psionic, Divine, Mage, Scoundrel, Cheese Champion). Also get Tome of Magic, Tome of Battle.

Hope that's a help for you.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

If your looking to expand your gaming world I would strongly suggest these:

• dungeonscape
    • stormwrack
    • sandstorm
    • cityscape
    • frostburn
    • planar handbook
    • manual of the planes

If you’re looking to expand your monster base there are these
    • Monster manual II
    • Monster manual IV
    • Monster manual V
    • Fiendish codex I
    • Fiendish codex II

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I'll be honest; the only things in Dungeonscape that I've ever seen used are Wand Chambers, Dungeoncrasher and the Factotum. The book might be an okay choice, but it already seems to be getting a huge amount of love for what it provides.

As a DM, I don't like using books too directly; mechanics for building traps, events, monsters or whatever are easy enough to wing.
    The sources* I like most when I'm planning sessions are Libris Mortis, Heroes of Horror, Sandstorm, Frostburn and Stormwrack -- whether I like all their advice or not, they get me thinking about different game situations than I might normally include.

*D&D sources anyway. I think old Edgar Rice Burroughs books have done more for me than any of 'em. Old radio dramas come in a close second.

You should probably also make yourself familiar with the alternate rules system splatbooks -- Tome of Battle, Tome of Magic, Magic of Incarnum and the Expanded Psionics Handbook. For the most part, they find a nice median within the spectrum of class power balance. And when they don't, it tends to be on the weaker end (Truenamer, Soulborn, Soulknife).
    My one complaint is that, with the exception of ToM, the fluff in those books is absolutely terrible. You're going to want to change almost all of it if you want them to fit into a standard campaign setting.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Tome of Battle is probably the single most important ones, unless your group likes how martial characters work as-is. Other than that, monster books are nice, and get some of the completes that sound interesting. Get books that work with themes you'll be using. For example if you plan to have adventures in the desert, Sandstorm might be a good choice.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tome of Battle is a very fun book; turn those Fighters into "Sorcerers." Also gives more options and flavor.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Assuming D&D 3.x:

As others have said, starting with new Monster Manuals could be a good idea. The odd-numbered ones are the best, so pick up Monster Manual III and/or V before you get II or IV.

The environment series (Frostburn, Stormwrack, Sandstorm) are all pretty good, as are Dungeonscape and Cityscape if you want to focus on those kinds of places. If you want to do adventures based on specific foes, Lords of Madness, Draconomicon, and similar books could work.

Assuming 4E:

For DMs, a subscription to D&D Insider is great, since you get EVERYTHING for that one price. If you don't want to do that, most of the supplements out so far are good and you can't go wrong with any of them, really.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Devil

For monsters, just get Monster Manual 3. Done. MM2 is just random numbers on a page, which you can easily do yourself. MM5 is just random templated creatures, which you can also easily do yourself. No comment on MM4. Obviously you have MM 1 already, as it's core.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

For D&D 3.5, you should realize that the content of some WotC material is available online via the Open Gaming License (OGL). The Hypertext d20 SRD has most of the three core books, plus
    • Unearthed Arcana
    • Epic Level Handbook
    • Deities and Demigods
    • Expanded Psionics Handbook

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

In addition, you can get surprisingly far just off of all the D&D content that's been put on the web. For example, everything at this (totally legal!) link.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

For monsters, I recommend Monster Manual III and Monster Manual V. Both have very interesting monsters that have pretty accurate CR. Monster Manual IV is a bit boring (I do like the Spawn of Tiamat, though), and Monster Manual II is rather odd (and 3.0).

New systems to introduce to your games:
    -Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords will beef up melee characters a lot, both for PCs and your villains.
    -Expanded Psionics Handbook provides an alternative to casters.
    -Player's Handbook 2 has some pretty cool classes and alternate class features.
    -Spell Compendium is good for both your NPC casters and PCs.
    -Running out of loot? Magic Item Compendium.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I'm going to go ahead and toss my hat in by saying that Tome of Magic, Tome of Battle, and Magic of Incarnum are 3 very good books. They're all rather versatile at expressing a character mechanically (though the flavor may need a tap on the head. I'm looking at YOU, Incarnum!), and they're three very unique systems that are fun to play. Binders are the only section of Tome of Magic I ever use, unless you count Tenebrous's ability to use Flicker from the Shadowcaster section using the shadowcaster section :P. Tome of Battle is loads of good fun, and I really like Incarnum, because it has Totemists, and to a lesser extent Incarnates, and a really great idea is instead of granting items, allow everyone free meldshaping as an Incarnate.

Those three books give a high bang/buck ratio. I don't really like Psionics, it just strikes me as a mix between horribly underpowered **** and **** so blatantly OVERpowered that a DM with more than 10 brain cells would ban it (namely mind switch/astral seed combo, Metamorphosis). There are quite a few gems in the Psionics, like the Psychic Warrior, which is great as hell, but I just don't really like Psions much, at all. The shaper is cool, and maybe the Egoist, but I don't really like the others, and the general powers are kinda sucky.

PHB 2 is good, it includes Duskblades and Beguilers, which are great. I also have a soft spot for Heroes of Horror, it's really a great book, and it can turn the whole feeling of the game upside down.

14. - Top - End - #14

Griffon

Note that almost all of the suggestions that have been given have been for 3.5, so if you want suggestions for 4.0 you should probably let everyone know.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Those three books give a high bang/buck ratio. I don't really like Psionics, it just strikes me as a mix between horribly underpowered **** and **** so blatantly OVERpowered that a DM with more than 10 brain cells would ban it (namely mind switch/astral seed combo, Metamorphosis). There are quite a few gems in the Psionics, like the Psychic Warrior, which is great as hell, but I just don't really like Psions much, at all. The shaper is cool, and maybe the Egoist, but I don't really like the others, and the general powers are kinda sucky.
    you do realise that this suposedly OP combo is still less than what a standard Core wizard can do with a singel spell?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #16

I would recommend either Player's Handbook 2, Tome of Battle or Expanded Psionics Handbook. All three are a great addition and probably bring the most fun and usable material with them for the value.

If you meant 4E, then the answer is probably Martial Power, it seems like a really fun book as well.
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    you do realise that this suposedly OP combo is still less than what a standard Core wizard can do with a singel spell?
    Very true. Polymorph any object will do it, and easily. It's even lower than true mind switch, and every wizard (that didn't ban transmutation) can use it (rather than just telepaths).

Also, casters get full spellcasting from other classes through polymorph, which is so much more disgustingly awesome than the Metamorphic Transfer feat.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

For 3.5, if you want Psionics, don't buy the book for them, just use the SRD. It has most, if not all, of the crunch from there (albeit zero fluff).

For 4e, there aren't a whole lot of non-core books to choose from yet. The Forgotten Realms Player's Guide would be a pretty good choice, since AFAIK it's the only one that currently has a non-core base class in it (the Swordmage). Although, if you want base classes, you might just want to wait until PHB2 comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    For 3.5, if you want Psionics, don't buy the book for them, just use the SRD. It has most, if not all, of the crunch from there (albeit zero fluff).
    Kindly don't listen to Artanis, thri-kreen are too awesome to be excluded due to things like saving money. Plus, psionic mindflayers are far superior to vanilla MM ones.

Additionally, there is a classic alphabetizing error in the book which is not included in the SRD, and you wouldn't want to miss out on that, would you?
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Oh, I cracked up huge when I first noticed that...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

I'd say Magic Item Compendium, because its ever so useful to have everything in one place and they've turfed out all the rubbish items (and done over a few of them so they're actually worth their cost).

For monsters, I'd hit Monster Manual V first, as the mechanics used to create the monsters are interesting and designed for ease on the DM and more aimed at the role in which monsters really perform (ie, it doesn't care too much for useless spell-like abilities that are never going to be used). There's also a wide range of monsters in there, so there is always something available for your needs ('specially if you refluff stuff from time to time).

For classes, hit the complete series, I'd suggest picking up the ones that your players roles tend to fall in line with first, as they'll appreciate that a lot (as it gives them access to more feats, prestige, items, variant rules etc).

Other than that the rest of the suggestions made here are all pretty self explanatory as to the needs they fulfil, I'd suggest trying to browse over a few of them before you buy em, its the easiest way to see if they're worth it and work along side the way you work (as I find some books just do things differently to me, and therefore its a lot of work salvaging stuff out of them).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

What do you want to do?

If you're playing a spellcaster, get Spell Compendium; a caster is only as good as the spells they can produce. If you care about gear, get Magic Item Compendium. Most of the Complete books are self-explanatory for expanding the playing options for particular types of characters. The same goes for the Races of books for various races.

If you're interested in class variants, this thread will tell you what books you need to try those out.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    What do you want to do?

If you're playing a spellcaster, get Spell Compendium; a caster is only as good as the spells they can produce. If you care about gear, get Magic Item Compendium. Most of the Complete books are self-explanatory for expanding the playing options for particular types of characters. The same goes for the Races of books for various races.

If you're interested in class variants, this thread will tell you what books you need to try those out.
    your right about the races and complete books.

They say a lot of things like Dwarves like axes ecept when they don't

or with reagaurds to the best crits a longsword is better if you like a lot of crits and a battle axe is better if you like a few hard, devestaiting ones.

Naw really?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SoD View Post
    If you want more classes and prestige classes, get the Complete (Cheese Champion). Also get Tome of Battle.
    I don't get it. Tome of Battle is often mentioned to be overpowered to some play groups, and is bluntly accepted as a big obvious power boost to melee. But you're not okay with paladins getting some great feats with Complete Champion?
    Djinn_in_Tonic avatar. I owe him a big thank you.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Paramour Pink View Post
    I don't get it. Tome of Battle is often mentioned to be overpowered to some play groups, and is bluntly accepted as a big obvious power boost to melee. But you're not okay with paladins getting some great feats with Complete Champion?
    Tome of Battle is not overpowered by any stretch of the imagination. Complete Champion, on the other hand, is mostly comprised of absolute crap and cheesy broken stuff.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Were using 3.5 edition and the party is made up of a paladin/cleric mostly paladin and a true neutral cleric and a pure level 13 fighter. the already have complete adventurer, complete divine and tome of battle. thankyou for the suggestions im gonna get the mm 2 and phb 2
    Oskar is going DOWN BABY!