New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want in.

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Want in.

I'm new to this whole thing... what I know about DnD type games is limited to what I could work out from OOTS and Unforgotten Realms...

... but I like what it sounds like, and I want to know...

... where the hell do I start?
    Blame Elrond for this awesome avatar. Seriously.

Okay, I'm a guy. A straight one. I got nothing against homosexuals, seriously, but I'm sure I'm not one... I play females because, well... it's what I do in online games... and I do that in online games because...
    Umm...

I'll get back to you on that, alright? Thanks.
    *flee*

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Want in.

Just a sec, I'll find you the relevant informations.

*this* is the SRD, a free source of all the information you'll really need.

http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

*this* is a character maker, it'll make the process quite simple although it is missing a lot of options from the more obscure splatbooks.

http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm

Now you just need to either convince your friends to try it, or head over to our "recruitment" forum and find a game.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2009-03-04 at 06:26 AM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Thank you so much!
    Last edited by Thundagard; 2009-03-04 at 06:59 AM.

Okay, I'm a guy. A straight one. I got nothing against homosexuals, seriously, but I'm sure I'm not one... I play females because, well... it's what I do in online games... and I do that in online games because...
    Umm...

*flee*

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

We don't like yelling on this server.
    Bombastic founder of the "That guy with a Halberd" Fanclub
    Wanna see this guy return? Click here for more information
    Check out my Spaceatar by Geiger Counter here
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    I am laughing my head off and applauding your tactic genius all at the same time. Bravo, good sir...
    FighterITP : Silver

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Also a good idea would be to check the yellow pages/internet and find your local gaming stroe. Most major cities have one, and you can probably find a group at any one of them. If you're lucky enough to live near a college, check them out too, most will have a gaming-oriented club you might be able to find a group at.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Oooookaaaaay, I think I get the basics. Er, with the character-maker thingy, I got stuck at the first step - what're all the little click circles and stuff? Also... I didn't notice I was shouting.

EDIT: So, I had a shot at a character using the aforementioned character-maker. Should I post it here or something? I don't know if I did it right.
    Last edited by Thundagard; 2009-03-04 at 07:18 AM.

Umm...

*flee*

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    *this* is a character maker, it'll make the process quite simple although it is missing a lot of options from the more obscure splatbooks.

http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm
    Cheers for the link repost Pathguy. I was sure I had it, but it appears not.

@Thundagard: Post away mate. It's what we're here for.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say that the best way to learn more is to find a group that plays near where you live (or an online one, if you can't find any). They can help you with your character and answer any questions you might have when they come up.

The forums can help with more complicated stuff (obscure rules questions and so on), by virtue of the number of people who post here, but playing in a game is the best way to actually learn.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I think pathguy gives far too many options, especially for new players, isn't there a simpler alternative?
    Schrödinger cat? Schrödinger wizard? Schrödinger monk?
    What's next? Schrödinger equation? HΨ=EΨ? Seriously WTF?

The best summary of this board I've seen so far:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frigs View Post
    Giantitp: The only place you can turn a discussion on D&D Economics into an argument about toxic potatoes.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thundagard View Post
    Oooookaaaaay, I think I get the basics. Er, with the character-maker thingy, I got stuck at the first step - what're all the little click circles and stuff? Also... I didn't notice I was shouting.

EDIT: So, I had a shot at a character using the aforementioned character-maker. Should I post it here or something? I don't know if I did it right.
    Sure, or a link to character if able.

It is pretty simple though:
    First rolls:
    you get 6 numbers, and the circles are the statistic/ability score chosen for that roll.

Like if you rolled 16, 10, 11, 18, 5, 10 (like I just did): you can choose 18 to Str, 16 to Con, 10 as Int, 11 Wis, and 5 Charisma (niot a well liked guy in this example).

Choose a Race.

Click aligment/gender.

Give him a level: then a class for this esample I sayt Barbarian as it is simple for someone new to play (bash em good with a two handed weapon like Thog).

Choose 1 feat. (2 if human)
    Skill points, then equipment and done.

11. - Top - End - #11

MindFlayer

I'm new to this whole thing... what I know about DnD type games is limited to what I could work out from OOTS and Unforgotten Realms...

... but I like what it sounds like, and I want to know...

... where the hell do I start?
    Depends on the Edition.

The links above are for 3.5 D&D. Plenty of people still play it, myself included, even though 4e came out last year.

for 4e, I would recommend going here. It's a website dedicated to 4e, and has a good excel character sheet. You'll still need the Player's Handbook to play (and possibly others, depending on class and options chosen.)

I would also look here for 4e RPGA play. Think, league play D&D. The current Campaign is the Living Forgotten Realms(LFR). This link has relevant information on character gen for RPGA play.

This is where you can search for LFR games in your area.

That said, if you're in the Chicagoland area, I have more specific info for that region. (Chicagoland Gaming groups, etc.)

Edit: I forgot the most important thing: good luck.

And, Ditto on the local college scene. That's where I got started.
    Last edited by Blackfang108; 2009-03-04 at 02:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Start playing this with friends.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Once you find a handful of friends to play with, I'd recommend playing a few games before reading much more on these forums. As a rule, we tend to forget how complex D&D can be when you're first getting started, not to mention that very few people are capable of thinking in terms of core-only. (Just read any thread here in which someone says "I'm playing core-only and I want to do X, what should I do?" and invariably half of the responses will mention expansions and splatbooks), so I imagine it would be really easy to be overwhelmed when you're first starting out. Experience really is the best teacher.

Oh, and remember, one of the key things in D&D is to not take it personally when bad things happen to your character. You'll miss the key roll, your enemy will get a lucky shot, you might even die. But that's okay. That's part of the game, and you can't let it get you down. It's easy to take it personally, but don't. I had that problem when I was starting out, and I know a lot of other people who did too. (I mean, occasionally you'll get a psycho DM who really wants your character dead, but you'll know that when you see it.)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Right. Uh... I'm australian, and... in high school. So, I don't really... know... what that means, but I figured it would always come down to "buy the sourcebook".

Umm...

*flee*

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

http://forums.gleemax.com/forumdisplay.php?f=603
    You could try sifting through there to find a group.

16. - Top - End - #16

So, I don't really... know... what that means, but I figured it would always come down to "buy the sourcebook".
    That's usually a safe first step

Generally speaking, you need to:

1. Pick which edition you want to play (4th edition is the newest - it came out last July - but 3.5 edition still has a reasonable following so you should be able to find a group for it. 4th edition is generally simpler to learn and master, while 3.5 edition is more "realistic" and offers more options at the expense of simplicity). Older editions will be harder to find players for.

2. Buy the Player's Handbook for whichever edition you choose. Make sure you have the right one (the 3.5 book says 3.5 on the cover).

3. Find someone to play with. In Australia, your best bets are usually to ask the owner of a game shop or check your local university (which almost always have gamer associations).

Good luck!
    Kudos and thanks to Mortugg for the awesome custom avatar!

Colmarr's Blog: The Astral Sea.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Right. Uh... I'm australian, and... in high school. So, I don't really... know... what that means, but I figured it would always come down to "buy the sourcebook".
    Take a gander at the Wizards of the Coast Store Locator. Just follow that link, put in your town/country/whatever, and see which gaming store is closest. Once you've got that, see if there are any groups you could join or at least sit in with for a few sessions. Maybe take a friend/relative with you, and that way you'll have a couple folks learning how to play in case you want to start your own group.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Welcome to the wonderful world of D&D, Thundagard. Now that everyone has posted very useful and practical links that will greatly enhance you play (good stuff up there), it is time for me to break in with the obligatory sub-cultural shennanigans

If you attend a game and the players are in dark robes: Back out of the room.

Essential Snacking Foods: Cheetos and Mountain Dew.

D&D Came Before Tolkein: It's true.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Take a gander at the Wizards of the Coast Store Locator. Just follow that link, put in your town/country/whatever, and see which gaming store is closest. Once you've got that, see if there are any groups you could join or at least sit in with for a few sessions. Maybe take a friend/relative with you, and that way you'll have a couple folks learning how to play in case you want to start your own group.
    That's how I got in. I went in and asked the guy at the front desk if he knew of any groups around town that were looking for people. I knew about Dungeons and Dragons through Cultural Osmoses and from taking the source books out from the local library. That's a good idea by the way. It will allow you to absorb the books, see if you like the look of things, without having to buy them, while been more friendly then the SRD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

20. - Top - End - #20

I'd round it up at "Pay a visit to your local gaming store, find a group willing to teach. Try the game and, if you like it, buy the sourcebooks and start the real learning" xD
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll have a signature one day...

Thanks Mr. Saturn for the awesome Pokeatar

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrmmmm. Before you go spend money, there's a few options first. You're better off finding a group first, to find out what game they're playing. D&D isn't the only option, and even with D&D there are serveral editions that are not compatable with each other, so if you pick up a rulebook cold, you will likely find it's the wrong one later. :)

Also note that you will likely have to try several different groups before you find one you like to play games with. Some groups will go heavily into the 'playing the character', others are more into the tactics and wargaming aspects, and others use the game more as an excuse for getting together and socializing.

I'm not sure how it works in Australia, but in Canada there are game stores in most cities that carry all sorts of games, including D&D. Sometimes the game stores are combined with comic book stores, independant book stores, computer game stores, and/or manga/anime stores. Sometimes they have bulletin boards that will advertise open games or people looking for players, or even upcoming tournaments, conventions, and more organized clubs.

Another option is to play online, but I don't recommend that for your first try at this.

As you're in High School, it's very likely there are people in your classes who are playing already. If you're a brazen sort, you could just stand up after a test yelling "Natural 20! Critical Hit!" and fall over. You'll immediately know who are the fellow gamers by their reactions.
    Fhaolan by me! Raga avatar by Mephibosheth!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Unfortunately... I've been asking around... and no-one likes tabletop RPGs. The closest I have is a couple of Warhammer 40k addicts, and... *shrug* I don't like 'em much.

Umm...

*flee*

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Warhammer has some fun stuff, heck the series Warcraft was basically based on it. But yeah, it's expensive. And time consuming. And expensive.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2009-03-05 at 05:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

24. - Top - End - #24

And just because it is worth mentioning, D&D it is not the only RPG out there, there are many other different games (If they are better is open to debate ;) ) like GURPS, HERO, World of darkness, to name a few.
    Much more important, some of them are even free. that you can download from the internet easily and legally, like JAGS, fudge, Ars magica, Witchcraft, etc, etc. You can google for them if you are interested, or just ask for the links.

But I agree that the best thing would be to find someone that already play and join them. As an alternative you could try a play-by-forum, it is not the same thing but can ease the cravings.
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

So... how does it work in a forum?

Umm...

*flee*

26. - Top - End - #26

So... how does it work in a forum?
    Just look in the play-by-post section of this forum to get an idea. But essentially, you pick a game in the recruitment section and ask to join. once you have the OK and have created the character (following the specifics given by the GM) you can play in the ongoing games forum. There the GM post a description of the situation and every player post what their character do, once all the players have posted (or it is clear that they will not) the GM describe what happen and so on.

I'm sure other will explain it better.
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

27. - Top - End - #27

MindFlayer

Unfortunately... I've been asking around... and no-one likes tabletop RPGs. The closest I have is a couple of Warhammer 40k addicts, and... *shrug* I don't like 'em much.
    Warhammer. Crack is Cheaper

The Wizard's Store Locater is a good tool, too.

I found my second group through the event calander I posted earlier. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a local group. I actually had the option for a game within a couple of weeks.
    You can search by country(Probaly not a good idea. I understand Australia is huge.), Region, (probably your best bet, but it's a colossal list), City, or within a specified distance of a postal code. (actually, the last one is probably the best.)

The nice thing abotu 3.5 is that the core books are all avaliable online here.

Start with this if you plan on using 3rd edition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

28. - Top - End - #28

I really would not recommend learning the rules from the SRD. It's a great reference once you are familiar with the basics, but a really bad way to learn them from scratch.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    I really would not recommend learning the rules from the SRD. It's a great reference once you are familiar with the basics, but a really bad way to learn them from scratch.
    Quoted for truth. Trust me, I say this from experience: You're better off buying the core sourcebooks. SRD is really reference only (although a great reference it is).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, Warhammer is really expensive. I don't know if anybody mentioned that yet.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous