New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default I have a need for speed [D&D 3.5]

I'm making a monster, and I need him to be faster. Much faster. Do you guys know of any templates that can boost a creature's Base Land Speed (preferably by a lot, but any boost is appreciated)? Any suggestions are welcome.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: I have a need for speed [D&D 3.5]

Depends what monster, yes? After all, Monk and Barbarian class levels increase land speed.

Are we dealing with something truly monstrous that can't take class levels? Or for which class levels don't make sense?

-JM
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Epic Handbook has two for land speed- Paragon Creature (triples it) and Pseudonatural creature (doubles it) (EPH version of Pseudonatural Template is more powerful than Complete Arcane version)

Some templates grant flight (Air Creature, 100 ft) but for land speed, there aren't as many.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Who_Da_Halfling View Post
    Depends what monster, yes? After all, Monk and Barbarian class levels increase land speed.

Are we dealing with something truly monstrous that can't take class levels? Or for which class levels don't make sense?

-JM
    A class wouldn't really do it alone, unless it was based on running. I have a class in mind; I just need a little something to top it off.

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Epic Handbook has two for land speed- Paragon Creature (triples it) and Pseudonatural creature (doubles it) (EPH version of Pseudonatural Template is more powerful than Complete Arcane version)

Some templates grant flight (Air Creature, 100 ft) but for land speed, there aren't as many.
    Well, thanks for those, but they're not quite what I'm looking for. Right now, I'm pretty much trying just to get a bunch of templates that boost land speed and pick out the one that fits best. Unfortunately, there really aren't that many

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Feral template from Savage species- humanoids +10 to speed, lots of bonuses, Int penalties. Is very good for a +1 template

Warbeast from Monster Manual 2: Animals and Vermin- +10 to speed.

What Type is the creature?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Have you considered a permanencied expeditious retreat?

As for how it got it... that has a lot to do with the creature's background... give us some information and I can likely come up with good fluff for it.

Edit: Also, Spellwarped gives a speed bonus as an option when the creature absorbs a spell. Probably not what you're going for, though.
    Last edited by Dyllan; 2009-03-05 at 04:35 PM.
    -Dyllan

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

If psionics comes into play the feat speed of thought gives +10 to movespeed
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

And if you're up for using third party sources, Necromancer Games released this in Tome of Horrors III: (It's OGC, so I'm posting it here - gives 10 feet to land speed)

Spoiler
    Show
    Mythical animals are the stuff of legends; stronger, faster, wiser, and more intimidating than their normal counterparts. Mythical animals appear as normal animals and are indistinguishable from them, though in some cases their eyes may betray their origin and existence (perhaps showing a glint of intellect or wisdom unknown to their lesser cousins). Mythical animals are found wherever their normal animal counterparts are, though they rarely keep company with such animals. Though they may be the creation of the gods and beasts of legend and dreams, mythical animals still pay homage and answer to the various animal lords

Creating a Mythical Animal
    “Mythical” is an inherited template that can be added to any normal, non-dire animal that has at least 1 HD (referred to hereafter as the base animal). A mythical animal uses all the base animal’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
    Size and Type: The animal’s type does not change. Size is unchanged.
    Hit Dice: Advance the base animal’s Hit Dice to the maximum listed for its current size. After advancing its Hit Dice, double it. Recalculate its base attack bonus, base saves, and skill points based on its increased Hit Dice.
    Speed: Increase the base animal’s land speed by +10 feet. If the base animal has a swim speed or fly speed, increase it by +20 feet.
    Armor Class: Double the base animal’s natural armor bonus.
    Base Attack Bonus: A mythical animal has a base attack bonus equal to 3/4 its Hit Dice (as a cleric).
    Attack: A mythical animal retains all the attacks of the base animal.
    Damage: A mythical animal’s damage dice increase for each of its attacks as if it had the Improved Natural Attack feat with each of its natural attacks. The damage for each natural weapon increases by one step: 1d2, 1d3, 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, 6d6, 8d6, 12d6. A natural attack that deals 1d10 points of damage increases as follows: 1d10, 2d8, 3d8, 4d8, 6d8, 8d8, 12d8.
    Special Attacks: A mythical animal retains all the special attacks of the base animal.
    Special Qualities: A mythical animal retains all the special qualities of the base animal.
    Saves: Recalculate the mythical animal’s saves based on its increased Hit Dice. A mythical animal has all good saves.
    Abilities: A mythical animal’s ability scores are increased based on the animal’s size.
    If the base animal is Small or smaller, increase from the base animal as follows: Str +4, Dex +12, Con +4,
    Wis +4, Cha +4 (minimum 10). If the base animal is Medium, increase from the base animal as follows: Str +10, Dex +10, Con +6, Wis +4, Cha +4 (minimum 10). If the base animal is Large or larger, increase from the base animal as follows: Str +12, Dex +4, Con +6, Wis +4, Cha +4 (minimum 10).
    Skills: Recalculate the mythical animal’s skill points based on its increased Hit Dice. Animals have skill points equal to (HD + 3) * (2 + Int modifier). Mythical animals gain a +4 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks. They retain any other racial bonuses to skill checks possessed by the base animal.
    Feats: Mythical animals gain Endurance, Improved Initiative, and Iron Will as bonus feats, assuming the base animal meets the prerequisites and doesn’t already have these feats. The increased Hit Dice gained by this template grant the base animal additional feats.
    Environment: Any, usually same as base animal.
    Organization: Same as the base animal.
    Challenge Rating: Same as the base animal +2, plus an additional +1 per 3 Hit Dice the base animal improved.
    Advancement: Mythical animals can advance to twice their Hit Dice.
    Level Adjustment: —

Edit: Then there are feats to increase speed:

Spoiler
    Show
    Dash (+5 speed, light load/unarmored or light armor only) Complete Warrior
    Fleet of Foot (+10 speed, light load/unarmored or light armor, must he elf, half-elf, or human, can only be taken at 1st level) Players' Guide to Faerun
    Quick (+10 speed, -1 hp per level including 1st, must have Con 4 or higher) Unearthed Arcana
    Animal Devotion (cheetah's sprint option). 1/day as swift action gain +5 foot sacred bonus to speed +5 extra feet per 4 character levels (max of +30 feet at 20th level). Your skin gains black spots while this is in effect. Feat can be purchased multiple times. You can use 3 daily uses of turn undead to activate this ability. This ability lasts 1 minute.
    Travel Devotion. 1/day: lasts for 1 minute. Each round move up to your speed as a swift action (thus being able to take a full-round action or standard+move afterwards). Caveat: can't take a 5-foot step when using this ability. Feat can be purchased multiple times. You can use 2 daily uses of turn undead to activate this ability.
    Of course, the Devotions require access to the appropriate cleric domain...
    Last edited by Dyllan; 2009-03-05 at 04:49 PM.
    -Dyllan

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Xeph (xph) +30 9 rounds/day (competence)
    Quick +10 (base)
    Animal Devotion +15 1/day (sacred)
    speed of thought +10 (insight)
    Monk 9 30 (enhancement)

above has a base land speed of 60 normaly but when he realy needs to move can get to 105 feet/move action or running (grab the run feet) 525 feet in a round.

(for more goodness if not slightly less "normal" character add feral template/shadow/dark (raises the ECL by 4 making this a ECL 13) but that increases the speed by
    10 dark
    x1.5 shadow
    10 feral
    added up its a base land speed of (105 (above) + 10 +10 ) x 1.5 = 185/move or 925/run action
    Last edited by crazedloon; 2009-03-05 at 05:35 PM.
    Check out my horrible homebrews

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dyllan View Post
    Of course, the Devotions require access to the appropriate cleric domain...
    That is a common misconception. They don't require any Cleric access/domain access.
    If you are a Cleric you must have correct domain, but non clerics do not need it.

If not a Cleric:
    You must, however, believe in the diety or the Cause that has that devotion linked to it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

There's always Hustle (swift action to gain a Move action) and Travel Devotion (Standard Action to activate, but lasts 1 minute, grants free movement each round). That essentially triples your movement rate.

Also, when I DM I rarely bother with making sure that the internal "physics" of my enemies match the rules the PCs must follow to build their characters. If I want my Goblin to move at 1000 ft per move, he does, and I just come up with some sort of plausible reason why and work it into the story. The crunch of why something happens isn't important - it's only important that it fits within your story.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but the Dark template adds +10 to movement, I believe. And Shadow increases by half. I think this applies to all movement speeds, too, but I don't know off the top of my head. They definitely apply to land speed, though, as well as coming with a bunch of other goodies.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    What Type is the creature?
    That's just it; I'm gonna base the monster off what templates I can find.

Good suggestions all; however, I really am looking for templates. Classes/Races/Spells/Feats aren't gonna cut it in this case.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Shadow and Dark are probably your best bet then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

15. - Top - End - #15

Paint it red.

The Dash feat gives +5 feet of land speed. Small potatoes, but it stacks with everything else.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Paint it red.

The Dash feat gives +5 feet of land speed. Small potatoes, but it stacks with everything else.
    And don't forget, stripes make it go faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Green Ronin Publishing made an advanced Beastiary that has the Quickling template that give a creature x4 base movement and permanent haste. Not sure if that helps but it has a +1 cr.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Well, of course. I had assumed that went without saying.

19. - Top - End - #19

Da red wunz go fasta! Waaagh!
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Da red wunz go fasta! Waaagh!
    Three times as fast.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Paint it red.
    But I want it painted black...
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

What's your scientific basis for thinking that? [/futurama]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theMycon View Post
    What's your scientific basis for thinking that? [/futurama]
    It's actually only an optical illusion. But because of the subjective nature of reality, it doesn't matter. Well, until you ruined it by bringing "science" into it. Jerk.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    It's actually only an optical illusion. But because of the subjective nature of reality, it doesn't matter. Well, until you ruined it by bringing "science" into it. Jerk.
    My words changed (subjective) reality? Cool. It's like I'm a (subjective) bard. Or telepathic schizoid.

Actually, I can see how that'd be a jerkish thing.

Let's add flame decals, too.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theMycon View Post
    My words changed (subjective) reality? Cool. It's like I'm a (subjective) bard. Or telepathic schizoid.

Actually, I can see how that'd be a jerkish thing.

Let's add flame decals, too.
    Skulls or magic eight balls?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    But I want it painted black...
    We're talking about a monster, not a door, silly...
    -Dyllan

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Try Cheetah, and a few templates on top of it, maybe Dark Shadow Cheetah.
    Cheetah gets to charge for 500ft once per hour.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I'm skipping Dragon/Dungeon stuff.

Shadow (LoM or MotP) template increases all speeds by 1.5x. Dark (ToM) increases all speeds by +10'. Shadow, however, is like Dark++ (in fact, Dark is stated to be a streamlined version of Shadow, one that you can apply on the fly).

Epic pseudonatural doubles speed, but is pretty vicious. Paragon triples speeds.

Half-Celestial and Half-Fiend (MM-I) give wings (with associated fly speeds).

Half-Fey (FF) gives a fly speed of double your fastest mode of movement. Half-Scrag (FF) gives a 50' swim speed. Wendigo gives a fly speed of 120' (perfect).

Air Elemental Creature (MotP) gives 100' fly speed (Perfect). Earth Elemental Creature (MotP) gives a 20' burrow speed. Water Elemental Creature (MotP) givss a 90' swim speed.

Umbral (LM) gives a 40' (Perfect) fly speed.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    That is a common misconception. They don't require any Cleric access/domain access.
    If you are a Cleric you must have correct domain, but non clerics do not need it.
    Not quite right. If you are a Cleric of a particular deity, that deity must have the domain in its portfolio; you (as the Cleric) do not need the corresponding domain. If you are a Cleric without deity, the domain must fit thematically with your guiding principle -- but again, you (as the Cleric) do not need the corresponding domain. In fact, if you have the corresponding domain you are allowed to give it up and get the domain feat in its stead.