New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Would you, as a player, enjoy this in a campaign?

First off, I know at least two people who may be in this campaign browse the forums, so shoo.

So. I'm running an Eberron game. The PCs are treasure hunters gradually uncovering clues that will lead them to some ancient artifact that I haven't entirely decided on yet. But that's not what I've come to ask about.

My idea is to periodically shift the point of view to others who have had a part in the artifact's history, following it's movements throughout time. So, for example, the PCs might come to an abandoned House Cannith forge or something. It's empty, but it wasn't empty when a band of renegade Warforged came through during the war, looking for the artifact. As the PCs enter the dungeon, I hand them pre-made sheets for the Warforged soldiers, and run the forge as a dungeon, having the PCs clear it out.

Alternately, the artifact might've gotten unwittingly picked up by some half-elf pirates long ago. The pirate ship is attacked by Breland's Navy and sunk, but the PCs will temporarily take the roles of either the pirates or the Navy. The ship will sink no matter what, but the PC's actions might change things in subtle ways, which will be reflected in the "real" campaign.

PCs will earn XP for their main characters during these flashbacks, and they'd be fairly short (30 minutes to an hour), and probably not every session. I'd have six or seven pregenerated characters for a party of four to choose between, so hopefully there wouldn't be problems with people being stuck with a character class they don't want to play. I feel this could be enjoyable, allowing the players to try out different classes that they might not generally play, while still having their normal characters for most of the session.

If you were playing in this campaign, what would your opinion on these diversions be? Obviously, I'll gauge the reactions of players and adjust accordingly, but am I completely off the mark?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Would you, as a player, enjoy this in a campaign?

very nice!

i like it allot, but how about letting the PC's make the war-forged or whatever, it mite give them some incentive to play it like their own character not just some throw away tin guy.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

dope avatar Lomp, the Horse by Honest Tiefling

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Would you, as a player, enjoy this in a campaign?

Hoo-boy, that sounds AWESOME. I'm pretty sure I would love that. It'd be really cool especially since party roles could basically be thrown into the air every once in awhile, suddenly the squishy wizard is sword-swinging metallic maniac.

I think you'd be well served by having something special happen to the PC's so that it explains the flashbacks. Something like the artifact calling out to be found or some such thing.
    Super-amazing avatar by Ceika!
    << It's a mound of rainbowflesh, do NOT forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by xNadia View Post
    See the rainbowflesh, EAT the rainbowflesh, BELIEVE THE RAINBOWFLESH!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Depends entirely on your players, how much their invested in their own character, and how much they might enjoy stepping out and playing another for a bit. I'd talk to them, but if even one says no I'd ditch the idea.
    But if Santa and the Holiday Armidillo are in the same room to long, the universe will implode!

Make something idiotproof and nature will make a better idiot.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I did something like this in a previous campaign before, and I plan on doing it again. Just remember to keep the encounters short, or some people might get frustrated at not getting to play their characters.

I also started a 1 shot by handing them all a character sheet for level 1 npc farmers. Then they were attacked and butchered by some strange animal. PC's had to investigate the deaths. Imagine the shock on the one guy's face when I told him the "Strange, furred, bestial man tears your arm off at the socket. You take 31 points of damage".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

I would adore that idea! I've been working on doing something similar in my game, but don't really have the group to work it in. As someone who loves getting the chance to do something completely different once in a while, the idea definitely appeals to me as a player as well.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Thumbs up Re: Would you, as a player, enjoy this in a campaign?

sounds pretty sweet to me
    I was planning to do something similiar in my campaign. I agree that there should be something to explain about the flashbacks, and decide if you want the characters and not just the players to know what happened in the flashback. That way, the flashbacks can just be for mood and backstory, or they can be important clues the characters must use to proceed. In Eberron, anything could cause flashbacks. Artifacts, psionics (quori or kalashtar), ancestry, dragonmarks, the draconic prophecy, read from a tome, read from a dragonshard... the list goes on.

I would check out the book "Forge of War" theres a nice chapter on this kind of campaign.

Let us know how it turns out!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Freaking amazing...if I ever DM, can i borrow this idea?...Anyway, i personally love little side-quests like that, and the idea of this sort of "side-quest" is amazing.
    Let all who look upon me and scoff be damned.

9. - Top - End - #9

In fact... I'm starting to WANT to play that campaign xD
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll have a signature one day...

Thanks Mr. Saturn for the awesome Pokeatar

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGirl

An excellent idea, but one that has the (slight) potential to fall flat on its face if the players end up getting attached to a particular character. I don't know if it conflicts with the nature of your campaign, but you could potentially create some sort of quasi-magical effect that rips the PCs' consciousnesses from their bodies and hurls them through time. As a result, they would have the same personalities, but the maelstrom of the timestream has caused them to periodically settle into a new persona which potentially possesses different skills than their original character might have. In this case, the players get to keep their personalities if they want to and those personalities experience a wild variety of scenarios.

11. - Top - End - #11

I would love it (and have in fact considered - but not implemented - it in past campaigns)*.

I do agree with other posters above that you need to keep the interludes short (maybe 3 to 5 encounters). If they get too long, then your players lose a sense of who the real PCs are.

Depending on your players, I'd also recommend not pulling this trick often and not telling them about what is going on until its over. With the wrong players, you'll get them trying to do stupid stuff like hiding all their best equipment under the floor so that their later PCs can "find" it.

*Another idea I considered was to have PCs take the part of the historical bad guys. Simply don't tell them that they're the bad guys, and wait for it to dawn on them that "Wait a minute, we've seen this shrine to Selune before, only it was a shrine to Shar... OMG..."
    Last edited by Colmarr; 2009-03-11 at 12:36 AM.
    Kudos and thanks to Mortugg for the awesome custom avatar!

Colmarr's Blog: The Astral Sea.

12. - Top - End - #12

RangerGuy

Very much depends on your players. If you have players who want to focus on the story of the XXXX group of adventurers as the plot, then not; if the player characters however want to hear the story of the XXXX artifact and how a group of adventurers discovered it, then its a great idea.

Just a difference of world driven or character driven story.
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by krossbow View Post
    Just a difference of world driven or character driven story.
    Even in a character-driven campaign, players sometimes want the opportunity to try out that minotaur cleric or hobgoblin warlock they dreamed up on the weekend.

It's one of the reasons why I like this idea so much. It lets players satisfy those urges without them giving up on their main PC altogether.
    Kudos and thanks to Mortugg for the awesome custom avatar!

Colmarr's Blog: The Astral Sea.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by overduegalaxy View Post
    My idea is to periodically shift the point of view to others who have had a part in the artifact's history, following it's movements throughout time. So, for example, the PCs might come to an abandoned House Cannith forge or something. It's empty, but it wasn't empty when a band of renegade Warforged came through during the war, looking for the artifact. As the PCs enter the dungeon, I hand them pre-made sheets for the Warforged soldiers, and run the forge as a dungeon, having the PCs clear it out.
    I would absolutely, overwhelmingly *HATE* it if you did that, and I'd hate you too!!!

Primarily, because I was going to do the exact same thing in my next campaign. So now, instead of coming up with a truly original idea, I'm just copying you. You baistaige!!!

Good luck, and tell us all how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    Casters effectively lost every weakness they had (from AD&D), and everyone else suffered for it. Since this was done as a direct result of player requests ("make magic better!"), I consider it one of the all-time best reasons NOT to listen to player requests.

Most people wouldn't know what makes a good game if it stripped naked, painted itself purple, and jumped up on a table singing "look what a good game I am!".

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedLight View Post
    An excellent idea, but one that has the (slight) potential to fall flat on its face if the players end up getting attached to a particular character. I don't know if it conflicts with the nature of your campaign, but you could potentially create some sort of quasi-magical effect that rips the PCs' consciousnesses from their bodies and hurls them through time. As a result, they would have the same personalities, but the maelstrom of the timestream has caused them to periodically settle into a new persona which potentially possesses different skills than their original character might have. In this case, the players get to keep their personalities if they want to and those personalities experience a wild variety of scenarios.
    And every time they find themselves in a new body they have to say "Oh boy!"
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

It is indeed a nice idea, which I have actually used once or twice to give the PCs a better feeling for an event that happend in the past. What I figured out though is, that there is something PCs really hate:

Quote Originally Posted by overduegalaxy View Post
    The ship will sink no matter what, but the PC's actions might change things in subtle ways, which will be reflected in the "real" campaign.
    And it's the incapability of actually changing something. It really kills any actions your PCs try to make. I started to allow even big changes, even if this meant having to rethink large parts of the outcome, because I saw, that my players get more involved if they notice, they can change something.

Even if the ship doesn't sink (in your case) I'm sure you can think of a way the artifact is lost in battle/falls off the ship/is robbed by some greedy bastard etc.

I'd be very careful in not allowing the PCs to influence the storyline, when using your kinds of flashbacks, it can really hurt your gameplay.

Cheers,
    Falrion

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

That sounds like an excellent idea for a campaign. Being as it would only be a flashback, I wouldn't consider not being able to fully change the past as a huge problem.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm suddenly reminded of elements of Final Fantasy 8. I actually rather enjoyed some of those flashback scenes.

Sounds fun to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Most players {and I mean all I know} would have no interest playing something I made as a DM, and I've run many games for a long time. The fun in being a player is using something you created. I'd be annoyed if a DM handed me a PC to play, even for a short period. I know players that would outright walk out of the room if I tried that... and would likely lose them for good.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I do things like that quite frequently as gamemaster, and have played as player in campaigns where the gamemasters did it as well. It always worked quite excellently for building suspense and adding new perspectives to the story, and was quite clearly enjoyed by everyone involved. I can only recommend using it.

And of course, ask after the session whether the players thought it was a good idea or not. While I haven't met anyone who didn't enjoy it yet, mileages may vary.

@Blue Wizard: You are forced to play with people who would rather walk out on you if you tried something like this instead of simply telling you it was not to their liking and that they'd rather not have you do it? My condolences.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-03-11 at 10:34 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Rather reminds me of FF8, I like the idea immensly, may stwal it in fact
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

That is a very cool campaign idea.

Small suggestion: make sure one of the PC's has an ability that grants them Psychometry, and the flashbacks can be the history of an object that player touches as their power reveals it to them. When they encounter the ruins of the forge the player may touch a shattered steel bar, and then during the flashback encounter, you can have one of the NPCs knock a superheated piece of steel out of the forge into the wrong cooling barrel, shattering it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I'm suddenly reminded of elements of Final Fantasy 8. I actually rather enjoyed some of those flashback scenes.

Sounds fun to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladorak View Post
    Rather reminds me of FF8, I like the idea immensly, may stwal it in fact

And here I was about to say that this sounded like an awesome idea as long as you didn't do it like FF8.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

It would probably a good idea to interconnect the different time levels on the character level, including the ability that changes in the past through the players actually may change the present. Perhaps making the present day characters reincarnations of the characters of the past and grant them the ability to "switch" their consciousness between different incarnations and come up with a good reason why the same people met again and again in every cycle of reincarnation and why they are reincarnating in the first place, but hey, that is what ancient artifact McGuffins are for, right?

If you do it right, you create a multidimensional adventure on several plot lines and time levels, facing dozens of characters from really different backgrounds and times, to create one of the most overwhelming campaign your player have ever heard about, a campaign that leaves them in shock and awe.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post

If you do it right, you create a multidimensional adventure on several plot lines and time levels, facing dozens of characters from really different backgrounds and times, to create one of the most overwhelming campaign your player have ever heard about, a campaign that leaves them in shock and awe.
    This. Great idea, OP. I would play very, very interested a campaign like this.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

That actually sounds pretty cool, so long as it was done sparingly and not for a huge period of time. And the idea that there should be some connection to the main PCs so that they get the knowledge of what happened there is a good one, otherwise there's going to be lots of metagaming. "Okay, so the ogre mage hid the staff here--" "No, we don't know that, remember?" "GAH." If it's a flashback that they all experience somehow, it's a freaking awesome idea.
    "Experience is a good thing. You should hit it." - Lathandar to his Paladin, in response to her prayers for advice on what to do about a Holy Liberator

"Strahd turns into mist." - DM
    "And I turn into a hepa filter." - Lumieras

Quote of the Week:
    "If you go down south, you'll hear of Arthur Bartholomew Bartholomew, a man who changed a town." - Foster
    "Into dust?" - Owen

Characters: Kalinda Gray, Lawful Good Thief

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think that there is a whole game system based on this idea. I think it was called something like Fireborn or Dragonborn.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Farlion View Post
    And it's the incapability of actually changing something. It really kills any actions your PCs try to make. I started to allow even big changes, even if this meant having to rethink large parts of the outcome, because I saw, that my players get more involved if they notice, they can change something.
    Some circumstances will change if the past-PCs take actions above and beyond what's expected (managing to sink the attacking ship, or pretty much anything involving a natural 20 and a Profession: Sailor check), but for the most part, things will be destined to happen the way they happened because they've already happened, and the present-PCs have seen the result. So, if the encounter involves them exploring the sunken ship, they can't not have it sink in the past. Certain events will be fixed simply because they're required to happen the way they happen for the plot to move forward, but other times it'll be much more flexible. I expect I'll have a flowchart of sorts to adjust for any surprise successes or failures by the past-PCs to see how it changes the story.

Besides, since the PCs aren't on my side of the screen, they don't know whether or not they did actually make a difference. Was the ship supposed to sink, or were they supposed to save it? Were the soldiers supposed to survive the goblin ambush or not? Was it the PC's natural 1 that caused their assassins to fail, or would they have been overwhelmed anyway?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I think Ben Robbins at Ars Ludi mentioned something like this.

Past O Vision, I think. Sounds like a good idea.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I would enjoy this in a campaign. I thought of using similar techniques in my own games (though it would be more like a prelude to the game rather than something that happens regularly). I would definitely tell people ahead of time that you were doing this though, because some players would object to playing the game with a character they didn't build.

As a side note, the game I'm running now features some pet NPCs. Each player controls one of the city guards in certain combats. I did this as a way to encourage players to have non combat characters. The players got really attached to their pet NCPs after a couple sessions. Similar things may happen in your game if you let these NPCs recur.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.