New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [3.5] Fun character concepts list

My latest character just died due to inexperienced party members, so now I need some new characters/character concepts to stat up and throw into my backup characters folder on my Macbook.

I am drawing a blank at the moment, but I am sure that the vets here can help pull together a good list.

Would prefer ideas focusing on "fun", rather than on power/optimizing for this thread.

(p.s. Bonus points if it involves a kobold in any way. )

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: [3.5] Fun character concepts list

My last character that didn't make it to the table was a simple concept that I really liked

Gnome that was saved by dwarves as a child. His only goal in life was to become a Dwarven Defender

Fun concept, wish I could have seen how it fluffed out

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kobold Commoner with the Corpse flaw...

(Ok, so I'm not the biggest fan of kobold PCs )

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

A cleric of Fharlanghn (travel) who goes around using Wall of Stone and Stone Shape to make things easier for travelers, and mark what's changed - Wall of Stone for Bridges, waystations, and the like; Stone Shape to carve Fharlanghn's symbol into the side of the magical construction, and to harvest stone tiles to place about to fit the "solidly supported by existing stone" bit required of Wall of Stone.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

From my list of cool stuff(from memory, since I'm AFB right now):
    Dread Necromancer Necropolitan horndog. Uses a Vest of Gentle Repose to eliminate the smell.
    Stoner Druid with all spells cast reflavored to be druglike
    Bard/Druid/Beastmaster/Arcane Heirophant who is imprisoned. His Companion is adventuring to try and save him.
    Dark Whisper Gnome Cloistered Cleric of Kurtalmalek. He hates his own species for their crimes against Kobolds and is so ashamed he constantly refuses to show his face or admit his race.

May list more later.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

My favorite concept was Dabblade (portmanteau of Dabble and Blade), a Warforged Warblade who went on to study nearly every single form of "magic" introduced in any WotC splat book (incarnum, shadow magic, arcane magic, etc.) while still keeping full BAB in every class.

Very subpar, but extremely fun.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Cleric of rock and roll. His patron deity was Gene Simmons, took the Travel and Trickery domains, and his weapon of choice was an axe (yes, I know I'm a horrible person for making that joke).
    Last edited by monty; 2009-03-15 at 03:44 PM.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

8. - Top - End - #8

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/ra...aquaticKobolds

Taking a few levels in Cleric and Barbarian, he carries a bucket and every day fills the bucket with fresh water so he can breath, if his bucket is taken or knocked over during Combat, RAAAAAAAAAAGEEEE

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

One of the most entertaining characters we've got in our group right now is a rogue/mountebank (PrC in Complete Scoundrel). One of the fun things with that is you get "alter egos" which you can change into at will, as the spell alter self. A kobold that can make himself look like a human or an orc or-- for hilarity-- a gnome? The character possibilities there could be quite entertaining.
    "Experience is a good thing. You should hit it." - Lathandar to his Paladin, in response to her prayers for advice on what to do about a Holy Liberator

"Strahd turns into mist." - DM
    "And I turn into a hepa filter." - Lumieras

Quote of the Week:
    "If you go down south, you'll hear of Arthur Bartholomew Bartholomew, a man who changed a town." - Foster
    "Into dust?" - Owen

Characters: Kalinda Gray, Lawful Good Thief

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Bobo the hobo-

Monk7 or Chaos Monk2/barbarian5 then FoF3/Druken master10

He like handcock.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Warforged monk/kensai with throwing/returning fists.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

12. - Top - End - #12

A kobold with the Trapmaker Trapsmith Trapmaster Prestige class!

General plan should be:
    1. Trap a box
    2. point the opening at someone
    3. open
    4. ?????
    5. Profit!

if that isn't allowed you can get a cheap hommunculus called a packmate (a walking chest). trap individual compartments of it, and mentally order the box to open those compartments at your jurisdiction.
    Last edited by Graymayre; 2009-03-15 at 04:19 PM.
    Bombastic founder of the "That guy with a Halberd" Fanclub
    Wanna see this guy return? Click here for more information
    Check out my Spaceatar by Geiger Counter here
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    I am laughing my head off and applauding your tactic genius all at the same time. Bravo, good sir...
    FighterITP : Silver

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

My favorite character concept I ever got to play (though sadly not for very long) was a lawful good necromancer who hated undead but couldn't do anything else. He tried learning traditional spells, and they ended up summoning skulls and making ghastly visages. He tried training as a holy cleric, but every attempt he made at using positive energy turned negative. He tried ignoring his magical potential and training as a monk... when he was sparring, he broke his arm (as novices often do) and blood dripped on the ground. Where it fell, a skeleton rose from the ground and bowed to him. (He's not welcome at that monastery anymore.) Oh, and the less said about his stint training with that circle of druids the better... he even tried staying home and taking up a mundane, non-adventuring profession, but his strong sense of justice (remember, lawful good) made it so that he couldn't bear to stay home when there were people he could be helping, even if that involved those damned undead. Eventually he gave up and started studying necromancy in earnest to at least try to control what he could do and not hurt people accidentally.

I also made it so that he would spontaneously animate a lot of undead around him, truly spontaneously, as in "without trying." He would go to sleep alone in his house and wake up to find a zombie loyally standing watch over his bed, or a skeleton cuddled up next to him. He was a lot of fun to play, let me tell you.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    Warforged monk/kensai with throwing/returning fists.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCrFkc1cAQA
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

A pacifist Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker with a merciful greatsword. For those bonus points, make him a kobold. :3

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

first of all, a "fun" character is a bit of a broad definition, since different people enjoy different things. maybe if you could try narrow down things a bit? what do you find fun?

secondly, i have nearly only DMed, so the following suggestions are characters my players have enjoyed playing. i hope you do too... (most of the characters come from the world of Eberron

1- Grimm, the orc barbarian fighter, AKA "meat cleaver"- nothing special here, your basic "me crush" kind of guy, played a bit like Minsc from Baldur's Gate. this guy got hit in the head when he was young, and came to believe (and worship) a rock that was hanging on a string from his neck. the rock's name (ahem, i mean god's name) was DO. he would have conversations with it, and had it respond and more. strangely, it was one of the most gratifying roleplay experiences we had.

2- a warforged straight out of the cannith training grounds (we beganthe campaign in the war). had the intelligence of and adult, but the experience and naivity of a child. again- mostly for rolepaly fun but it was quite the thing.

3- another warforged, on the contrary, that was supposed to be the perfect silent assasin, but for some reason decided not to adhere to it's masters. what made this warforged unique was that it didn't have a mouth, and couldn't speak (playe'rs choice, i worked with him and compensated for this handycap). the player conversed by simple sign language during sessions. challanging at first, but became a lot of funf aftwerwards (he was called Silence btw, duh)

4- a cleric of the god of trade, fortune and money (in Eberron it's Kol Korran, as my nickname) whotreated everything as a matter of "price", "cost/benefit" and so on. he viewed adventuirng as being directed by his god to distribute the wealth. after the player retired from the character i liked it so much i made it a recurring NPC.

5- changlings. realy, nuff said.

6- gambling lizardman (was introduced to the game by settlers that came to his lands, and it lasted ever since). it can be any race though. the character/ player had 2 traits worth of note: first of all the character had a deck of illusions (and later on of shadow conjurations) which he crafted extra cards for whenever he could, of different creatures and more. second the player himself had a deck of cards, and whenever there was a amjor decision he would let the cards make the call for him. he always added some realy outragesou possibilities to the draw of cards. the player, and other players as well had a blast with the character.

7- a dwarven cleric of the god of travel, who decided to quite the hard and strict dwarven life, and travel the world. very easy going, very friendly, and most importently- always open for new experiences. the character (played by a highly creative woman) always looked for new ways to do things, or just new things to do. hedonistic to the max, but always with taste, this character was like a breath of fresh air all the time. "this is the path, but not the only path. the road you make for your own is the most rewarding" became somewhat of a motto for her.

8- a goblin spiritguide (or whatever that class is called)- she didn't believe in the dark gods, she knew they exist, and that they were everywhere! only thing a goblin can do is know their evil influence, and either appease them, turn them, or circumvent them away... she was always muttering, supperstitious with all kind of herbal medicines (did nothing mechanically but were fun rolepaly wise). a bit like a grumpy mother to the group. another fun character.

9- not my game, but on another game two friends played semi telepathic twins. the player were realy, realy good friends, and could finish up each other sentnces, and could realy pull off the "shared link" thing they tried to portray. could be fun to try with a good friend

other ideas that do not come from my games:

10- how about an intelligent item possesing either a creature or a construct? in most thigns it would be like a warforged only more focused on a single object. but it could look for enahncement, or maybe transferance of intelligence into a body. tricky business..

11- similar idea, which might also work when a character of yours died. how about his/her ghost? again you could posses a creature or construct, and it could be fun. or you can even follow the party in your incorporeal form. should be fun for some time at least. i think there's a book called "ghostwalk" that may have more information on this.

12- complicated idea: a warforged druid whose armor is maid out of livewood. to further complications the livewood contains a dryad. the warforged gets her as a companion (of course this should be played out, maybe as bargaining with her, maybe as her being chocked and recovering from the transformation to the warforged.) you'll need a way to justify it story wise, and make new rules for this exception.

that's all i got for now. please let us know if you like any of the ideas and why (don't forget what i asked at the beginning of this post either), and let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Kol

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Right now, I really want to play a warforged artificer that dumps all of his class features into becoming the ultimate magical arsenal. Essentially: become Iron Man.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

One I came up with a few days ago: A gnome who had a talk with a very persuasive rabbit as a child, and is now a cleric of El-ahrairah (domains: Animal and Travel). He's a vegetarian, does whatever he can to protect prey animals from embleer predators, and propositions every female gnome he meets.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

19. - Top - End - #19

HalfOrcPirate

1: A character who was educated exquisitely in the finest of schools, but hated it because he's a brat. So he left to go live out on the street. He's extremely naive and he wants to be all tough 'n crap, but he's really rather not.

2: A middle aged man who pretends to be weak looking, acting out his limp/cough, but in reality he is quite a strong finesse fighter, using the element of surprise as he whips out his spiked chain out from under his cloak and knocking everyone out.

3: I have 2 characters based off of songs. One is a Feral Lesser Aasimar who is Chaotic Good. He was Banned From Heaven because he was too chaotic. His girlfriend is Lawful Good, and her theme song is The Seven Angels.

They are both in a band, and her lawful tendencies create tension in the band because she is such a bitch.

4: Not mine: A warforged who has been released from service and now sees himself as equal with every other living thing. Except that he doesn't think that he's really a person, he thinks that everyone else is a tool, like he used to be.

5: Mine again: an extremely flamboyant pretty boy whose sexuality is constantly called into question, but is also a vicious criminal who runs a large black market organization. Ask him for a favor, and he'll sit down and have tea for you, served by his henchmen.

6: A binder/shadowcraft/anima mage wizard who has had conversations with his "imagined" friends since a very young age. Continually has conversations with the vestiges bound to him at extremely inappropriate times, and constantly fails his binding checks due to low charisma, causing him to be a **** to members of the party and then immediately apologize.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wild mage with a rod of wonder familiar, who rolled with a posse of red dragons.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

Changeling or Doppleganger Chameleon who constantly agonizes about every choice that he makes, and always tries to keep as many options open as he can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Paraplegic Elocater

23. - Top - End - #23

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by newbDM View Post
    My latest character just died due to inexperienced party members
    I heard that two of those inexperience party members died at your hands. Is this true?

(p.s. Bonus points if it involves a kobold in any way. )
    I recommend you play a Lawful Good Kobold Paladin of Heronius (sp?).

Maxwell.

24. - Top - End - #24

RedWizardGuy

Right now I'm having a lot of fun playing a half-elf half-copper dragon warlock.

His father, the dragon Haurachkurak, was cursed to live his live in constant danger, never to be safe from his enemies. To protect his recently gained new family Haurachkurak left never to be seen again. The half-dragon was raised by his mother, an elven wizard. One day his dragon blood awakened in a burst of magical power, resulting in a devastated home. His mother tried to teach him magic but found that he was unable to learn. After a long search his mother was able to find a teacher in the nearby forest: a satyr warlock.

The sweet part is that the half-dragon is evil. The satyr was a cruel teacher and a follower of Malar (evil nature god of hunting and slaughter from Forgotten Realms). The half-dragon learned to hunt and learned to relish the kill. Still, although he enjoys the hunt and thinks of it as sport, he does not enjoy senseless slaughter, and is quick to reprimand his fellow Malarites for doing such "senseless human folly, which perverts our Gods' true intents".

He's been fun to play, because even though he's evil and acts cruelly in battle, he's actually a fun guy to be around most of the time, buying everyone drinks at the bar for example. Also, his metallic dragon heritage along with his grim views of Malar's human followers actually help him get away with a lot of stuff.

EDIT: btw Zaq, your necromancer concept totally AWESOME! I have got to try that one out sometimes!
    Last edited by trehek; 2009-03-15 at 10:34 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by mrmaxmrmax View Post
    I heard that two of those inexperience party members died at your hands. Is this true?
    Yes.

They were trying to kill babies, children, and helpless women/mothers, while talking about stepping on the babies and boiling the children for stew.

I made it clear to the DM, like I do all DMs, that I do not play in evil campaigns. Was that part not mentioned to you?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

One of the better characters I've seen was a monk(not the class, actually from a monastery. Warblade would be a close fit for the class), who only spoke in proverbs, and had black market connections. As well as mad weapon improvising skills. Punch a tree and out come shruikeen.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    I raise you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQeuH...eature=related
    Dai Li Agents from Avatar. The epitome of throwing fists and feet.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

28. - Top - End - #28

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by newbDM View Post
    Yes.

They were trying to kill babies, children, and helpless women/mothers, while talking about stepping on the babies and boiling the children for stew.

I made it clear to the DM, like I do all DMs, that I do not play in evil campaigns. Was that part not mentioned to you?
    What I heard was you alone had the kobolds cornered and they fired on your character.

What I heard next was that someone came to investigate, saw you were under attack, and worked to intervene on your behalf.

What I heard was that your response was not to subdue your friend, but rather to claw, claw, bite him to below negative 10 hit points.

Please tell me what I heard right and what I heard wrong.

Maxwell.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eighth_Seraph View Post
    Right now, I really want to play a warforged artificer that dumps all of his class features into becoming the ultimate magical arsenal. Essentially: become Iron Man.
    Actually, it might be better as a warlock. Eldritch Blast, Fell Flight, and miscellaneous other invocations for all of Iron Man's trademark stuff, and you still get item crafting (albeit at a higher level and with greater feat investment).
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue

30. - Top - End - #30

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Myou View Post
    A pacifist Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker with a merciful greatsword. For those bonus points, make him a kobold. :3
    How can one be a frenzied pacifist?

The concept is disturbing and hilarious