New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Custom NameSake Monsters Made to Order

What kind of horrible beast lives inside you!?
    Here's the deal i started a thread for folks to share their homebrewed death dealing monsters but it soon degraded into a game where i make up a monster based on those who posted on the thread (such classics as Spring Healed Jack, and the great Illsbane creature...and tribbles...yay tribbles). so here's the deal. put a post with some stuff you think you'd want me to know and i'll write it up. prepare to delight as your players learn to curse the name of ING. others feel free to join along in the game

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Default Re: Custom NameSake Monsters Made to Order

Well lets start with my name Beleriphon. Hard when one consider's my namesake was a hero of Hellenic prose. He killed the chimera, so there you go. Um the monster/creature should have a spear. Thats all I can think of beyond the fact that it has to be orange.

Edit:

Oh, or a dire chinchilla. I'd love to own a dire chinchilla. He would be the size of s german sheperd, and so soft.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon
    Well lets start with my name Beleriphon. Hard when one consider's my namesake was a hero of Hellenic prose. He killed the chimera, so there you go. Um the monster/creature should have a spear. Thats all I can think of beyond the fact that it has to be orange.

Edit:

Oh, or a dire chinchilla. I'd love to own a dire chinchilla. He would be the size of s german sheperd, and so soft.

Belpheron
    M outsider
    8d6= 48
    land speed=50
    ac: 24=10+4+8+2 deflection
    abilities
    str 25 (8)
    dex 18 (4)
    con 15 (3)
    int 10
    wis 17 (4)
    cha 7 (-2)
    bab: 8/2: grapple 16
    attacks: long pear 17/11, various weapontry
    damage: 1d8+10,
    full attack: 2 attacks
    special: throw, favored enemy, track, evasion, uncanny dodge, unnatural reflexes
    feats: power attack, combat reflexes, dodge, cleave, pt blank shot, quick draw, weapon focus long spear, weapon spec long spear
    skills: jump 8, survival 10, knowledge planes 8, knowledge nature 5, heal 2, move silently 5, hide 8
    allignment: LN
    chalange rating 8
    advancement: by class (ranger, assasin, rogue, fighter)

the Belpheron is a extraplanar hunter. appearing as mysterious humanoids clad in orange or black armor, these figures seek out potential chalanging prey througout the multiverse, them seem to favore large beasts as mounts and targets ,and greatly favor long spear weapontry. some work as bounty hunters of sorts, or as assasins .

special:
    throw: when throwing their favoriate weapon their custome made long spears, the projectiles gain an extra 2d6 to the attack

favored enemy: magical beasts +2, chimeras especally gives an extra +2, aberitions +1
    , track: as the ranger feat

, evasion

, uncanny dodge,

unnatural reflexes: their unhuman anatomy allows them surprizing agility even when coating in fullplate armor, perhaps it is the armor they wear or perhaps it is their own strength, since none have seen either the armor or the wearer without the other it is open to debate.

weapontry: will often carry a varity of other weapons for the occasion, ranging from long bows to daggers, to poisoned darts, to the much more exotic...rarely are they caught unprepared

+2 beaster slayer long spear (gives an extra +1d6 agianst magial beasts)

potion of bounty bane: when covered on a weapon this potion gives teh weapon a bonus of +2d6 agianst that perticular creature. the potion requirs a peice of the creature to make. they often use their track to find a hair ro the like of their quarry and prepare the potion prior to attack

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

How about a Ghoul? Or a ghūl?

But they already exist, right?

The creature of that name in MM1 bears very little relation to the creature of legend.

ghoul

Arabic Ghūl, in popular legend, demonic being believed to inhabit burial grounds and other deserted places. In ancient Arabic folklore, ghūls belonged to a diabolic class of jinn (spirits) and were said to be the offspring of ghūls, the Muslim prince of darkness. They were capable of constantly changing form, but their presence was always recognizable by their unalterable sign: ass's hooves.

Considered female by the ancients, the Ghūl was often confused with the sílā, also female; the sílā, however, was a witchlike species of jinn, immutable in shape. A ghūl stalked the desert, often in the guise of an attractive woman, trying to distract travelers, and, when successful, killed and ate them. The sole defense that one had against a ghūl was to strike it dead in one blow; a second blow would only bring it back to life again.

The ghūl, as a vivid figure in the Bedouin imagination, appeared in pre-Islāmic Arabic poetry, notably that of Ta'abbata Sharran. In North Africa, it was easily assimilated into an ancient Berber folklore already rich in demons and fantastic creatures. Modern Arabs use ghūl to designate a human or demonic cannibal and frequently employ the word to frighten disobedient children.

Anglicized as “ghoul,” the word entered English tradition and was further identified as a grave-robbing creature that feeds on dead bodies and on children. In the West ghouls have no specific image and have been described (by Edgar Allan Poe) as “neither man nor woman . . . neither brute nor human.” They are thought to assume disguises, to ride on dogs and hares, and to set fires at night to lure travelers away from the main roads.

ghoul.Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved April 4, 2006, from Encyclopædia Britannica 2006 Ultimate Reference Suite DVD .
    I want V brought up on a sexual harrassment charge! that poor chimera!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

I like that its pretty cool. Extraplanar big gamer hunters. Now I just need that dire chinchilla. ;D

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Something wrong with text, it should read ghul with a line above the u, and sila, with a line above the a.

Cut and paste has it's pit traps.
    I want V brought up on a sexual harrassment charge! that poor chimera!

7. - Top - End - #7

not a name sake, and a bit like a succubis but i think i can work with an idea like that. yes, we can do tune ups of pre-owned monsters as well. I'll give you my estimite soon.

i think the MM ghouls are based more on HP Lovecraft's as depicted in Pickman's Model and other stories

8. - Top - End - #8

Sila
    M abberition
    hd 6d8= 42
    ac= 15=10+3dex+2 natural
    int=3
    abilities
    str: 20=5
    dex: 16=3
    con 16=3
    int: 16=3
    wis: 15=2
    cha: 20=5
    bab: 8/4, grappled 13
    attack: claw +13/9, bite +7
    damage: claw 1d6+5, bite 2d4+7 +special
    full round: 2 claws +1 bite
    special: bite, illusion viel, spell like abilities, distraction, improved grab, uncanny dodge, evasion, sneak attack, repulsion
    feats: power attack, combat reflexes, dodge, mobility, run
    skills: disguise +20, hide +10, move silently +13, climb +10, bluff +10, diplomacy+5
    allignment: always E
    chalange rating: 8
    organization: single, or 1 plus servents

the Sila is a horrific abomination, a twisted bieng left over from the fires of creation. possibly the remains of some time before or some primal creature hidden since ancient times or perhaps some invader from the outer planes. Silas often appear as buetiful woman or men stranded in the desert and seeking help. those that aid them are often captivated by their buety and charms, however it is all a guise. the Sila emmits some sort of hypnotic sonic vibrations, that give a sophisticated mental illusion. because of this physical ability the Sila's disguise cannot be deduced through true sight or other purely magical means. The Sila's true form is that of a twisted insectoid, a sort of hunched spindly skeletal figure draped in skin made otu of many squirming maggots and black tar like mucus. the Sila's true form is never reveled untill it is too late, they snatch their pray and either skin and eat their insides (leaving the hallow skin as suvineers or perhaps as to form egg sacs), or drill through their skull and eat their brain, turning them into a mindless servent. these servents help the Sila in their schemes to find new victims, if they fail to find food after a given time the servents also act as a backup food source.

bite: on a bite attack the Sila can attempt to peirce teh back of the creature's neck with a neddle projection of its mouth, peircing the lower lobe of the brain and injecting a nero poison that breaks down gray matter. the pioson does an initial 2d4 int drain and a sucessive 1d4 every hour. if reduced to 0 int, the creature dies and is raised as a mindless slave to the Sila. slaves produced the same hypnotic effect as their masters, diguising themselves as normal people to hide the effects of deteroration and decay on their bodies. once enslaved they share the Sila's intelligence and maintain a mental link to it, and are able to perfeclty mimic their previous selves, save for the possible drop or increase in intelligence. poison has a fort save of 27

illusion viel: the Sila emmits some sort of hypnotic sonic vibrations, that give a sophisticated mental illusion. because of this physical ability the Sila's disguise cannot be deduced through true sight or other purely magical means. it can choose to appear in any humanoid form it desires, or once per day can create an effect like improved invisability as cast by a 8th level caster. a silence spell nuetralizes teh Sila's illusion, though a deafen spell will not (the waves act by directly stimulating the brain, and need not be actually heard). will save of 30 reveals the Sila's true form.

, spell like abilities: at will, preidigitation, repose body, death kneel. 5 times per day, create undead, ghoul touch, vampire touch, web,

, distraction: the inaudable noise caused by the Sila's illusion effect, creats a subconscious distraction nd cna be detected with an listen 30 check, all others even if they don't hear them must make a concentration 13, to cast spells

improved grab: on a successful 2 claw attacks target becomes grapled
    , uncanny dodge,
    evasion,
    sneak attack: 2d6
    repulsion: its true form reveals the horrible form, all who see them must make a fort save of (20) or be sickened and nausiated.

ok there's your reformed ghoul.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Ok, do a "Hungerdog"...
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"-J. Lennon

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well to hit you up with another mythological one. Go for "Orion" (the G bit is just for an initial)
    Howler in Darkness Avatar by Beleriphon&&Clan of Cthulhu&&don\'t make me rip the sanity from your pitiful human brain.&&&&

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd love to hear what you do with "Mephibosheth."

Just for reference, since few people are familiar with the story:

Then David said, "Is there yet anyone left of the house of Saul, that I may show him kindness for Jonathan's sake?"
    Now there was a servant of the house of Saul whose name was Ziba, and they called him to David; and the king said to him, "Are you Ziba?" And he said, "I am your servant."
    The king said, "Is there not yet anyone of the house of Saul to whom I may show the kindness of God?" And Ziba said to the king, "There is still a son of Jonathan who is crippled in both feet."
    So the king said to him, "Where is he?" And Ziba said to the king, "Behold, he is in the house of Machir the son of Ammiel in Lo-debar."
    Then King David sent and brought him from the house of Machir the son of Ammiel, from Lo-debar.
    Mephibosheth, the son of Jonathan the son of Saul, came to David and fell on his face and prostrated himself. And David said, "Mephibosheth." And he said, "Here is your servant!"
    David said to him, "Do not fear, for I will surely show kindness to you for the sake of your father Jonathan, and will restore to you all the land of your grandfather Saul; and you shall eat at my table regularly."
    Again he prostrated himself and said, "What is your servant, that you should regard a dead dog like me?"
    Then the king called Saul's servant Ziba and said to him, "All that belonged to Saul and to all his house I have given to your master's grandson.
    "You and your sons and your servants shall cultivate the land for him, and you shall bring in the produce so that your master's grandson may have food; nevertheless Mephibosheth your master's grandson shall eat at my table regularly." Now Ziba had fifteen sons and twenty servants.
    Then Ziba said to the king, "According to all that my lord the king commands his servant so your servant will do." So Mephibosheth ate at David's table as one of the king's sons.
    Mephibosheth had a young son whose name was Mica. And all who lived in the house of Ziba were servants to Mephibosheth.
    So Mephibosheth lived in Jerusalem, for he ate at the king's table regularly. Now he was lame in both feet.

2 Samuel 9:1-13
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Do a Sneak!

Note: this post was not edited because I'm a moron. What kind of moron could mess up a three word post? Anyway, I changed it because I changed ideas.

Really.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Hungerdog
    Ok, do a "Hungerdog"...
    HUNGERDOG
    gargantuan magicla beast (extraplanar)
    50d12=560
    ac= 26=10 -3size+20 natural-1dex
    abilities
    str: 30 =10
    dex: 8= -1
    con= 25=7
    int=5 (-3)
    wis=8 (-1)
    cha 4 (-3)
    bab 10/4
    attacks: claw +20, bite +15, serpent bite +15
    damage: claw 2d10+10, bite 4d8+10
    full round: 2 claws + 5 bites, or 8 serpent bites
    special: improved grab, rend, breath, fast healing, devour, damage reduction
    feats: power attack
    allignment: CE
    chalange rating: 20
    organization: single +4d10 famine spirits

the hungerdog is a horrid beast of pure hunger and venom, created by foul feindish magic by a demon prince. the prince concluded that he was unable to overpower his enemies or conquer the matieral plane, deciding that the next best thing would be to ensure that no one would rule, he created the hunger dog. He was overjoyed with the success of his creation, even as it promplty consumed him and his entire court. the hungerdog never stops eating, it cnsumes everyhthing, animate and un, charging foward s a horrible juggernaut. a gigantic wolven hound with 5 vicious heads, a mane made out of slithering snakes, and skin made out of squirming maggots, the hunger dog is a sight that brings fear into the hearts of men and causes armies to disband and defect.

improved grab, on a succesful bite or 3 succesful serpent bites, Hungerdog cathes the opponent in n automatic grapple

rend: durring a graple from one of the 5 heards, each round bite damage is done to held creature as long as grapple is held

, breath, 2 breath attacks, 1 a cone of acid that deals 8d6 damage initial and 4d6 each round for 2d4 rounds, cone of 50 by 100 feet, the other is a great whirlwind that can either project, acting as a whirlwind spell, or suck in drawing all who fail a reflex of 25 into its threat square. range is 50 by 100. DC is 25 for each

fast healing: 10/no recovery from holy damage,

damage reduction: 20/ +5 weapontry, or holy/blessed weapons

devour: if a hungerdog reduced an opponent to 0 or lower hit points it snatches it into its jaws and swallows it whole, digesting them and destroying their body. for each L creature it digests it gains +20 hp, each M 10, each Small 5, each T 2, etc.

swallow whole: deals 8d6 half blugeon half acid. 50 pts of damage to escape

undead spawn: any corpse that is not compleatly devoured by a Hungerdog raises in 6d10 minutes as a famine spirit that follows the Hungerdog

14. - Top - End - #14

I'd ask for a tapemeasure.....

but, anh Ill ask anyways!

do a tapemeasure.

or if your feeling non interested in that idea, I've tossed out this to one thread: Were-Platypus
    Neverwinter Nights
    IC
    OOC
    Oros Llewellyn

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

WOOT!

Look at me, I'm a freakin' mobile Armageddon!

Yeah, baby!

8)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"-J. Lennon

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

If you can do a Mephibosheth, try an Ishbosheth.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by julian
    Something wrong with text, it should read ghul with a line above the u, and sila, with a line above the a.

Cut and paste has it's pit traps.
    Can you spell that out out, though, in Arabic? As in, Alif, Baa, Taa...?
    I've heard of these, but never really learned much about North African mythology.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hungerdog
    WOOT!

Look at me, I'm a freakin' mobile Armageddon!

Yeah, baby!

8)

With infinite hitpoints, no less. (It gains hit points whenever it eats... no duration listed on those, nor does it call them temporary hit points or damage recovery...)

-Lep

-edit-
    Oh, yeah... didn't mean to only complain. Heh.

Do me! Do me!

19. - Top - End - #19

yah its an inflatable monster, it started out at 5 hit points, then was inflated as its master fed it some demons, then it ate its master...then things kinda snow balled. Like to see how this thing would do agianst another armageton unstopable monster, who shale remain namelsss...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Curious to see what you come up with for me Ing.
    "If stupidity were a drug, most of us would be addicted."
    "Sarcasm. It beats killing people.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Read the Sword of Truth books series by Terry Goodkind (or wiki it), I'm a wizard of the first Order.

by which I mean DO ME!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

A char pixie; a cinder smeared fairy creature, who lives in ashes and travels by moved from chared ashes to chared ashes. (Ash Jump?)

23. - Top - End - #23

ok will get these up soon, so far the que is

Mephibosheth (have on planed but failed to type it before
    Orion
    program locked up)
    Sneak (have one in mind)
    cinder fairy
    Lost Scholar (almost ready)
    sheild heart
    tape measuer (have one in mind...)
    ishabushwhats it need to look this one up

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Herald of I was an attempt at wordplay, as one does not generall herald one's self.

If you can make a creature that announces it's own prescence in a way subservient to itself, then you are far more creative than me. ;)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

*Requests*

And I understand that you have a backlog and it'll take a while.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"Yuki Akuma" means "Snow Demon" in Japanese. So... an oriental style freezing cold demon thing, maybe?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Luircin: A name I made up while I was bored during class. Eventually it turned into a personal name for a nature guardian, albeit one that lives in fresh water. A medium-sized water elemental-esque thing that looks vaguely like a blue dragon.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Do a humanflame (my younger brothers netname)
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm wondering what can be made for "Renloth".
    My Plans never fail! The laws of physics simply get in the way of my success! - Red Mage 8-Bit Theater
    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, look upon my works ye mighty and despair..."

30. - Top - End - #30

Mephibosheth
    M outsider (celestrial)
    8d6=18
    ac= 28 =10+10 natural+3+5 magic
    int: 3
    abilities
    str 12 (1)
    dex 15 (3)
    con 8 (-1)
    int 30 (10)
    wis 25 (7)
    cha 21 (5)
    Bab 6/1
    attacks: Staff +9/4, rod 7/2
    damage: staff 1d6+1, rod 1d4+1+2d6 holy
    full attack: 2 staff, 2 rods or 1 staff 1 rod
    saves: f (5) r (2) w (18)
    special: flight, sheilding wings, aura of faith, spell like abilities.
    feats: weapon finesse staff, 2 weapon fighting, negotiator
    skills: diplomacy +10, sense motive 14, knowledge 10
    chalange rating 5
    allignment: LG

the Mephibosheth is a frail looking angle, propelled by 5 fluttering wings of gold. a human body sits inside teh wings cross legged, its legs are useless limp folds of flesh. The Mephibosheth acts as an advisor and steward to more powerful celestrial, itself being unfit for most combat prefers to act as general or tactician.

specia:
    flight: clumsy mobility, 20 feet per round.

sheilding wings: wings provide +10 natural armor and act as an entrophic sheild and sheidl spell, cast by a 8th level caster

aura of faith: adds char to AC and fort save

outsider traits

spelllike abilities

once per week: hero's feast,
    3 times per day: aid, virtue, cure serious wonds, heal, talk to dead
    5 times per day, produce flame, searing light, day light, cure moderate wounds, neutralize poison
    at will: magic missile, cure minor wounds.