New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [3.5] Want to play a beguiler (race from SS) who specializes in electric spells.

Shining South has a cute little race of creatures known as beguilers (see spoiler box below), and I have been wanting to play one who specializes in electricity spells for over a year now.

What class would be good for this?

I believe I remember hearing that there are sorcerers who specialize in one form of energy type, but not being a magic fan I am not sure if that is true. If it is, can anyone please direct me to the relevant sources?

Beguiler art:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Want to play a beguiler (race from SS) who specializes in electric spells.

I see what you are doing there...

No...just no....
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Flumph

Default Re: [3.5] Want to play a beguiler (race from SS) who specializes in electric spells.

Because someone's going to, I suggest playing as a beguiler beguiler.

Ok, just figured it out.
    Last edited by Studoku; 2009-04-03 at 08:09 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Don't forget something that turns you yellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Whatever you do, don't go anywhere near this before you got all your desired abilities in place :)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... I'm not that familiar with the class, but I think you could probably go with a Dragonfire Adept who focuses on electricity invocations. If not, maybe just a straight-up Warlock, but with Eldritch Blast refluffed as lightning.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

7. - Top - End - #7

This build assumes all sources available, and that armor proficiencies are granted as feats (as stated in their descriptions).

TN Beguiler Archivist 5/Stormcaster 8/Stormlord 7

Embrace/Shun Armor Proficiency (Light) ) Endurance
    Embrace/Shun Armor Proficiency (Medium) Great Fortitude
    1) Eschew Materials
    Flaw: Noncombatant) Snowcasting
    Flaw: Murky Eyed) Flash Frost
    3) Energy Substitution (Electricity)
    6) Born of Three Thunders
    9) Weapon Focus (Javelin)
    12) Cold Focus
    15) Greater Cold Focus
    18) *free*

Every Electricity Descriptor spell now has:
    - The [Cold] Descriptor (If you can Energy Sub. it, then you can apply it again - Eschew Materials takes care of the snow component)
    - +2 DC due to Cold Focus
    - Half of all Electricity damage is Sonic damage, and has +spell level Sonic damage.
    - Enemies must Fort Save vs. Stun TWICE, and Ref save vs. being knocked prone. (You'll be dazed if you use Born of Three Thunders? Not if you cast Favor of the Martyr, which is on your spell list)

Which is, well, every spell you cast. If you find some way of making Flash Frost a +0 metamagic feat, then every spell you cast can get the above, with the Electricity descriptor. And you're an archivist, so you can cast all kinds of cool divine air and electricity spells.

That, and if you shape the battlefield with a spell that summons a storm or winds, you're golden as you can fly without casting spells, protect your party, and hindrance your enemies, and that's always a plus. Probably not the most optimised of builds, but I'd find it fun. If you want something else other than Stormlord, you need less cheese.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Warmage is a decent base class for blasting; if you don't mind being sub-par. I'm sure they get plenty of electricity spells, and you can Energy Substitute[feat] if you have to.

The class you want, though, is the PrC Elemental Savant from Complete Arcane. You could probably take a warmage into it, if they get know:arcane in class. Or take a sorc in. 8/10 casting hurts, and there are stronger choices than it as a PrC, but it is electricity.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Salt_Crow View Post
    Whatever you do, don't go anywhere near this before you got all your desired abilities in place :)
    Will that item somehow Baleful Polymorth the Beguiler into a Rai-guiler?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Electic variant Pyrokineticist for a Prc for certain. Electrical ranged touches at will, electrified melee attacks...its perfect.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Not by default, although it might inspire the DM to throw stones of this own.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I've been thinking about putting together a fun encounter with a Shocker Lizard re-fluffed and enhanced to simulate what you're doing here. This sounds better though. where is that race from?

-JM
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Beguilers look really cute. I'm curious about their stats as well. Regarding the question, would Psion focusing on electricity blasting Powers work here?
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

You should get your DM to approve the Portable Hole Full of Beer PrC that has to do with being a "trainer" of this kind of nonsense.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    You should get your DM to approve the Portable Hole Full of Beer PrC that has to do with being a "trainer" of this kind of nonsense.
    To be honest, I think the Portable Hole Full of Beer needs to be brought into reality and fed to the GM before he'd allow this to happen.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    I see what you are doing there...

No...just no....

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    Because someone's going to, I suggest playing as a beguiler beguiler.

Ok, just figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    Warmage is a decent base class for blasting; if you don't mind being sub-par. I'm sure they get plenty of electricity spells, and you can Energy Substitute[feat] if you have to.

The class you want, though, is the PrC Elemental Savant from Complete Arcane. You could probably take a warmage into it, if they get know:arcane in class. Or take a sorc in. 8/10 casting hurts, and there are stronger choices than it as a PrC, but it is electricity.
    Thank you!

These might just do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Don't forget something that turns you yellow
    Isn't it already yellow?

Quote Originally Posted by Salt_Crow View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Awesome. I am ashamed that I had not made that connection myself.

p.s. Would it be too much to have the character only eb able to say "Beguiler!". Perhaps it can be worked into a flaw?
    Last edited by newbDM; 2009-04-22 at 06:06 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

That would be too much. What are the stats for this race?
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by newbDM View Post
    p.s. Would it be too much to have the character only eb able to say "Beguiler!". Perhaps it can be worked into a flaw?
    If the creature has his own language, rule that his language works that way.

I.e, he can say everything changing the way he says "beguiler".

Who knows the language is able to understand him.. or you can understand anyway something with a Sense Motive CD 10, 15 or 20.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

I love this.

And I think you could get away with the saying your name repeatidly thing. Remember the Bluff skill can be used to send people messages. Get a high Bluff check so that everyone understands your complex or simple messages, even if you only ever say one thing again and again. Or, you can just say a sentence, and throw in your own particular suffix and/or prefix. It worked for the Moogles, kupo.
    Djinn_in_Tonic avatar. I owe him a big thank you.