New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Banned

Chimera

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    @ Samb: I was aiming to make a Megaman X class at first, but I decided to expand the idea a bit into ranged fighters in the X universe. This would then have to include different types of guns, and I just picked the less controversial ones for use in D&D (no machine guns or bazookas for example). Dual-wielding pistols is a trademark of the character Axl from X7 and X8, and the sample character reflects that fact. With different types of guns being made available, I was aiming to give players options with how to make their character.
    no problems, I have only played the originals.
    The Elemental Gunman Stance is meant to give more flexibility to the player. In the Expanded Megaman Universe (in particular, Megaman Zero and Megaman ZX universes) the main protagonist gains the ability to infuse his weapons with elemental damage, thus allowing a revisit into the old Rock-Paper-Scissors theme for boss fights without using the old system. This is what I tried to recreate here.
    Well I just wanted to limit the choices so that you could poach something from other fallen cyber gunners
    As for Charged Shot, the reason I explicitly stated only Swift, Standard or Move actions may be sacrificed is to prevent any sort of potential abuse (I haven't thought of specifics yet, but it's better to narrow it down). You get 3 "Action Points" in a round (1 swift, 1 move, 1 standard). Sure it makes MOVE actions more valuable, but swift actions see enough use already. The reason I decided to equate the 3 types of actions is because it's one of the easier ways to keep the mechanics of the ability simple (you sacrifice 1 action, you get 1 charge).
    A full round action, contrary to popular belief, is separate from the three aforementioned actions. You can use a swift action and still use a full round action, thus contradicting that particular view. By using the above mechanic, I can safely implement the mechanics behind flux capacitor without having to iron out any clinks in the system. If I had gone with the ability to fire a fully charged shot within a round, I wouldn't be able to implement Flux Capacitor easily, and there would still be action inequivalency (3 standard actions is much more valuable than a full round action)
    That's just the thing; swift, move and standard actions are not equivalent. Swift is 0, move is 2 and standard is 3. This makes using swift actions the norm as it costs the least to get the same results. Why not set flux capacitor as "gain an extra charge" to simplify things and make all charges as standard--> move--> swift progression?
    I don't understand Weapons of Legacy that well so I don't think I'll be implementing that. Also, the range of upgrades are too narrow right now to allow for the "poaching" of other people's upgrades. It could allow for overpowered characters (and that's certainly not my intention). Like I said in the end notes, the Variable Weapons System from Megaman is far too complicated for me to try to tackle in this small a time frame. I might make a generic "Reploid" base class later on to reflect it, but I make no promises.

@ Everyone else: No comments, peeps? It's a class meant for Warforged. WARFORGED :P
    Weapons of Legacy gain powers as the weilder levels and require rituals to unlock new powers. Your warforged qualifies for both. When two weapons of legacy clash the winner can take a power from the defeated foe. It isn't broken if you never encounter and beat any other cyber gunners. And its just awesome for flavor.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Samb View Post
    I hope everyone has the same concept of firearms here. I have been using the MSRD, which has all the info on range, damage, threat range etc.

Bang babies:

Like the name, kinda cute but could give the wrong message.
    Pretty steep requirements. Guess it has to be a fighter entry. The high reflex save seems off. I picture a walking arsenal lumbering around where you can't see her skin. i guess you could be making a character like Lady in Devil May Cry (mini-shirt made of bullet clips for the win). Still I think Fort should be a good save too.
    Look at all those class features. These are people who live on being as fast as humanly possible. That's why Reflex was so high. Also, who the hell is Lady?

I would like to see escape artist on the skill list as well. She needs to get all that armor off to bathe right?
    This is an interesting idea.

Quickest draw is a nice opening class that encourages the PC to carry a lot of guns. Never unarmed is something that is underrated IMO. Improvised armor is so out there that its awesome. Using your explosives and firearms as armor? Its both brilliant and crazy. Twitch shooter...... I heart this feature. Anything moving in range takes a hit, great damage dealing and control (esp if you have sneak attack and cheap shot).
    Thank'ee ^_^ Again, the main theme has been snap-reactions and cordite-reeking blazes of glory :D

Ranged disarm and sunder...... sorry but I've seen this way too much in this PrC contest already and it doesn't fit your flavor. Instead of sunder, shot depleted uranium that treats next attacks as touch attacks. The capstone is perfect for this PrC.
    How about, instead of Sunder:

Hammer Shots (Ex): There's nothing quite like a large steel ball to throw off things like sensory coordination or personal balance. Whenever the Bang Baby strikes a flat-footed opponent with a flintlock weapon or grenado, they may choose to either stun that opponent for one round (DC 15 + damage dealt by the attack Fortitude save negates) or knock them prone (DC 15 + damage dealt by the attack Reflex save negates). This ability stacks with Cheap Shot and any other sources of precision damage the Bang Baby might possess.

The main thing I really dislike about this PrC is all the ammo and weapons you need to keep track of. Not all my guns are going to be non-magical. Some will have this quality or that bonus. What about all my bullets and which gun is empty? I might want silver bullets for the rare chance I see a werewolf, and admantine for taking out a wall. Am I supposed to keep track of all these little pieces of metal? If it wasn't for this problem I would say this is an awesome bomber.
    Yeah, there is a lot of paperwork, but I consider it paperwork of love :P

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

I was thinking about submitting to this, but I was wondering, would a slingshot user qualify, if flavored as such:

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Usopp

I'm not sure if I can make the deadline, but it'd be fun to try.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

4. - Top - End - #94
    Banned

Chimera

Who is Lady?
    Look at my post again, I added it just for you.

5. - Top - End - #95

Sblock that please - you stretched the screen :p

Anyway, whaddya think of the Hammer Shots idea?

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

6. - Top - End - #96
    Banned

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Sblock that please - you stretched the screen :p

Anyway, whaddya think of the Hammer Shots idea?
    I like the stun and trip effects (even though my PrC had it first LOL) but the DC is too high. Most adding damage to the DC makes it very hard to resist especially when you have a bunch of sneak attacks stacked on.

I'll change the image but please consider my suggestion of using Lady, since that mini skirt is so hot, and your gunwoman happens to be a hottie.

7. - Top - End - #97

Her Dakka is a bit too MOAR for this class, though :P Sorry

My extended homebrew sig

8. - Top - End - #98
    Banned

Chimera

Her Dakka is a bit too MOAR for this class, though :P Sorry
    Her what is too what?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Samb View Post
    Her what is too what?
    Dakka = Guns, especially automatic ones, I think.

MOAR = More

"More Dakka!" is one of the mottoes (or something) of Orks in Warhammer 40,000, they like Chainguns with underunderslung automatic rifles as a starting point to build from... If you can see the character under the ammo-belts, he doesn't count as heavily armed... that sort of philosophy...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    ... they like Chainguns with underunderslung automatic rifles as a starting point to build from....
    WHAT.

Chaingun.
    • ???
      • Rifle

Like that? I'm not sure what's at number 2, is it another chain gun? Is there another orc, strapped to the chain gun, holding a rifle? Or something simple, like

Chaingun
    • Rifle
      • Rifle

Or replace "Chaingun" with "Chainsaw" for and the second rifle with "Great Axe" for a truly orc weapon.

And then make it a Shotgun/Chainsaw/Torch for a truly anti-undead weapon. (Note to self: Shotgun that shoots flaming chainsaws; next Pelorian artifact?)
    Last edited by Xallace; 2009-05-02 at 09:01 AM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

It was a typo, but I think we can pretend that it wasn't for the sake of the quality of the ideas that it inspired you to produce.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #102

It was a typo, but I think we can pretend that it wasn't for the sake of the quality of the ideas that it inspired you to produce.
    Oh.... Heh, well, can't say I'm not a little embarrassed right now. But thank you for the ideas! Orc armies will never be the same again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Infernal Sniper is now in a readable form and ready to be critiqued as much as you like.

Spoiler
    Show

Old avatar by KP (I think)
    Green Lantern of the Rayneverse

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

First draft of the items the magic items the class is built around added in, safe poison use defined (might need to rename that for clarity since it only applies to bolts) and GM guidelines for mount replacement if one permanently loses a bunch of HD compared to the other, and some other details and edits in various places.

The items are kinda odd since a lot of them have variable abilities that can be picked at creation. I am especially interested what people think of the the prices.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-05-04 at 03:54 PM.
    Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Tomorrow night at midnight is the deadline folks, post em if you got em :D

Great work to those who have contributed already. Great stuff!

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

I-X: So when you said I was "killing" you a bit earlier, was that because my class was so barely-there when I posted it? Or were you seeing the humorous side of it?

Basically I am feeling a bit insecure and want to double check that you are including me when you say "great work people" since when I reread the initial contest rules it doesn't seem like repeater crossbows TECHNICALLY fit the bill. But if that were a problem, someone would have said something by now... right?
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-05-05 at 01:16 AM.
    Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #107

...it doesn't seem like repeater crossbows TECHNICALLY fit the bill. But if that were a problem, someone would have said something by now... right?
    Dude, my class wields a plant. If you don't qualify, I don't qualify.
    Also, I don't think anyone can deny that gnomish blink-dog-riding repeater-crossbow-wielding trans-dimensional mobile artillery ranks among the greatest PrC concepts ever.
    Last edited by Xallace; 2009-05-05 at 08:27 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Banned

Chimera

Since I didn't get any protests on my PrC's capstone I'll assume it is well balenced and leave it as is.

Hope we have a good turn out and looking forward to the next one.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

I-X: So when you said I was "killing" you a bit earlier, was that because my class was so barely-there when I posted it? Or were you seeing the humorous side of it?

Basically I am feeling a bit insecure and want to double check that you are including me when you say "great work people" since when I reread the initial contest rules it doesn't seem like repeater crossbows TECHNICALLY fit the bill. But if that were a problem, someone would have said something by now... right?
    In guideline #1 it says "crossbow-like launchers are okay too". While not what I was actually going for in saying Crossbows are A-okay, I'll let it slide because I did specifically say that crossbows were okay :P

As far as you killing me? Yeah, that was because you put up only a little bit of work and seemed to have left it like you did in the previous contest.

-X

P.S. Deadline at midnight!
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

My fears are assuaged. Also, glad you like it!

Links to example character's added, as is the Improved Mounted-Archery feat at 10th level (mostly just for flavor [joke]since by that point the blink dog has probably forgotten how to walk because (s)he just D-Doors every-where[/joke]).
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-05-06 at 08:01 PM.
    Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Ok, I entered a new ability to the Nameless Gunman to help protect his name from magic. I decided not to add an ability that lets him take a quicker 10 on intimidation, it would help, but… idk, I just don’t really like the idea. :-/ Also, the Draw! Ability says it only works on one person, and it says it useable only once per encounter, and it already allows a will save to resist the ability, so I don’t really see any need to fix it.
    Don't make me use my moon powers on you!

Life's not about going with or against the current, it's about tossing you arms up in the air and running in circles while screaming ~weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!~

Spoiler
    Show
    pirate=Tetra
    Tetra=chibi Zelda
    chibi Zelda=adult Zelda
    adult Zelda=Sheik
    Sheik=ninja
    Therefore, pirate=ninja

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Contest X: Draw, Partner! is officially closed!

Vote here!

Voting is on till May 15th and then shortly after that I will start the next contest. Vote away!

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

I couldn't even choose who to vote for...not to mention the gunlock never been made...

Being in the army makes it hard for me to think of guns as anything unique or fantastic, they look so bland and crude now.

Hell, lets see what contest do you start tomorrow (and please DO post the new contest tomorrow because I need to go back to the base on Sunday, and that means two weeks of thinking I wont do because I'll have no internet.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, later than I wanted to but hey, better late than never:

The new contest is up, if people have questions, by all means ask em!

May the best entry win!

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

25. - Top - End - #115

Oh, this is one I can sink my teeth into. I have a great idea for this...

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

This is my first contest. You say it has to be 100% original content. Does that mean that we can't use abilities that other classes have, but in a new combination? For example, in the previous contest, the Order of the Bow Initiate ability Close Combat Shot seemed an obvious addition to a prestige class, but it's not original.

I think when you say original you mean don't copy other people's work and don't repost stuff you've already submitted for other contests, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

27. - Top - End - #117

I believe you are allowed to use abilities from other classes in the case of generic abilities (Close Combat Shot is a fairly generic ranged combat ability, for example). Specific abilities require re-flavoring: the mechanics can be used, but the name needs to fit the class.

Or so I'd imagine. After all, many ideas for class abilities have appeared somewhere in some form before...

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

28. - Top - End - #118

Ooh, this one will be fun times. I'll have something up for either fallen paladins or fallen druids, though I may do one for fallen clerics. We'll see how it rolls ^_^

My extended homebrew sig

29. - Top - End - #119

Ooh, this one will be fun times. I'll have something up for either fallen paladins or fallen druids, though I may do one for fallen clerics. We'll see how it rolls ^_^
    I await the result with interest.

Mine may be unusual...I think I've figured out a way for a certain type of Diviner to fall from grace with very interesting results...

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

I think I'll make up a class for fallen knights. Dibs! Dark side, here we go!
    My current homebrews

The gods play with dice and parchment!