New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Banned

Chimera

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread

Some fall from a code of conduct but how many can claim to have fallen from humanity itself?

My PrC: The Heartless is up. +1 to anyone that can guess my obvious inspiration.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, no time to finish the class and I wont be around until its over, so I'm out again.

Sucks to be me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

@Samb: Kingdom hearts, I presume?

@Boomwolf: It's unfortunate that you couldn't take part in this contest. Better luck next time, I hope!
    My current homebrews

The gods play with dice and parchment!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Banned

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    @Samb: Kingdom hearts, I presume?

@Boomwolf: It's unfortunate that you couldn't take part in this contest. Better luck next time, I hope!

Kingdom hearts has serial killers in it. Anyway, I would like a PEACH on my creation. Too powerful? Not player friendly? Let me have it!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

I'm dropping a sample of what I've been working on very slowly(which is kind of only being done after my house-sitting duties), which I hope to finish before the deadline. So just kind of letting you guys know I'm alive.

Knight of Andras
    "Soon you will see your folley, your mistakes of passion. Soon you'll see your anger... your love... your sadness was all for nothing. It would lead you to me, and I am the lance that will destroy you. I care so little for your war I am tempted to walk away right now... but I will not because I'm being paid. Goodbye."
    -Alkus Black to a downed opponent.

Alkus Black, a knight of Andras
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    @TSED:

Okay, my review of your class, take it or leave it. First off, this is one of the funniest classes I've ever read. Like, seriously, I lol'd all over the place. Well done, very witty. The fluff is both amusing and constructive to the crunch.

A New Direction is a potent ability in that it adds new possibilities to a character's limited spells known so always a good plus for bards. Less Taxing is also quite potent, due to the fact that there are some bardic music feats like Ironskin Chant that could get a lot more mileage, but as it's bard based, it's not overwhelming. Angry Fans is a good way to get small change, and Manufactured Sound is a great class feature. Opens up a lot of doors without having to take some crappy feats.
    Thanks! I know that when I think about playing a bard, all I do is remember the ginormous list of critters in which I can do pretty nothing about, go 'ughhhh' and go 'nevermind I'll go play something less gimpy.'

I know that bards aren't ACTUALLY super-gimpy, and that people have done amazing things with them, but... I just don't like being that situationally shut out and I am not the best optimizer, you know?

This made Manufactured Sound a shoe-in for effect, ESPECIALLY since the name came so easily.

Hate Mail made me almost die laughing. It's potent, free magic goodies, but they can't be sold or fed to an artificer for anything so it's great. Just awesome :D
    My favourite part too.

I'm not familiar enough with Luck feats to say anything about it, but it's probably not a bad deal.
    Blah blah blah pick a thing to reroll before you know the result (failure / success), and some of them give a slight bonus to something (usually a +2 to your worst save I think). Not game breaking but nice to have in a pinch. Since you don't have to meet the prerequisites, you'll probably go for one of the better ones, but two saving throw rerolls a day isn't really that gamebreaking either.

Corporate Tools is cool, but some DM's don't allow Leadership. That being said, I still don't think it's a problem.
    Well, if that was the case surely the DM'd find a replacement ability. Or, you know, just that 'bonus feat.'

Interview Expert is great, I like it, but Shunned is a bit strong. The invisibility thing is strong, but very specific so I'd let it go in my games. Lawsuit is freakin' AWESOME :D

Corporate Zombies and Sold Out are totally fine as well. I dig em.
    Glad you like it. Shunned is so specific I can't really see it ever being practical. Who ever heard of a bardic BBEG?

All in all, a hilarious class. I laughed quite a lot when reading it with my wife. Thank you :)
    No, Thank YOU. I was going to come back and redo some bits, but with the positive feedback I think I just need to clarify some things.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

@Krimm Blackleaf:

Hope to see it. That's a wicked picture. As always, I look forward to seeing what works you come up with!

@TSED:

My pleasure. As I said, a great and funny work!

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

Would someone mind PEACH-ing the Knight-Revenant?
    You don't want the monster? You don't throw the switch.
    Awesome Avatar by Starwoof

9. - Top - End - #189
    Banned

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Aergoth View Post
    Would someone mind PEACH-ing the Knight-Revenant?
    I'll give you one right now.

The whole fallen pally/knight is a bit overused (which is why creations like the sellout and children of the mausoleum seem so unique) but they do seem to be naturals for this contest so I'll let it slide.

The pronouncement abilities seems a bit too powerful. The DC on them is basically 10+CL+KR levels and will save too. I suppose since you lose your pally spells this might be ok but the potential for battlefield control is really high. Also you did not specify what the range of this is.

Atonement seems a bit underwhelming for a capstone other than getting all your spells back.

Overall, I felt that this is not really a class I'd want to play but I did like the flavor. I'm guessing it is based on the skull knight of Berserk? If so add in the dimensional door effect for the sword for extra coolness.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

smaller pic would be nice samb.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

11. - Top - End - #191
    Banned

Chimera

Thumbs down Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread

Sigh I ask for a PEACH and all people notice is the picture and the name.
    I'm a sad panda
    Changed the pic, it seems to fit the killer theme anyways

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Samb View Post
    Sigh I ask for a PEACH and all people notice is the picture and the name.
    I'm a sad panda
    Changed the pic, it seems to fit the killer theme anyways
    that's how it works–people judge books by their covers. the name of the homebrew, the formatting, and any associated pics are going to speak pages of information to people, and are going to tell them whether they want to stick around and read the whole thing or not. as far as i am concerned, when i have to scroll sideways back and forth in order to read a post because of the size of a photo on the page, it is usually not a good sign. similarly, when i have to wade through the text of an unformatted, badly formatted, or poorly spelled work, i generally lose interest fast.

that's how it goes.

now, let me go look at it on the contest thread again and see if i can find anything constructive to say about the class itself (i'm not going back to your dexter thread, because the large image over there is bugging me)...
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

13. - Top - End - #193
    Pixie in the Playground

I'd like a PEACH on the Drifting Petal Ascendant, if anyone could give one, seeing as the deadline's coming up...

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by DeskChairLamp View Post
    I'd like a PEACH on the Drifting Petal Ascendant, if anyone could give one, seeing as the deadline's coming up...
    I skipped over most of the fluff because I am not in the mood to scale Walls Of Text, sorry about that. But here's from some of my thoughts:

A Drifting Petal Ascendant is immune to all compulsion effects
    Kind of overpowered for 1st level ability, no? Maybe spread it throughout the PrC a bit? Especially with fast move and the soul ability on top.

Try starting it out as the DC diplomacy +10 and adding saves and eventual immunity near the end? You kept adding immunities, but that one is probably the most powerful and they get it FIRST. It makes sense from fluff, just seems mechanically out of place.

Speaking of soul abilities:

Sakura Storm = whirlwind attack on crack, and no feat chain needed! On the other hand, it's got limited uses... Yeah I guess it's fine.

Does Soul Smite stack with improved crit / keen?

Furthermore, she automatically knows the alignment of any humanoid creature within ten feet of her. The ascendant increases her wisdom score by 1.
    Automatically know the alignment? No save? What about the spell Undetectable Alignment? I'd make it so she can make a sense motive check vs bluff check +10 or something as a free action. If they engage in a prolonged conversation, just sense motive vs bluff. Later on improve it a bit so it can penetrate Undetectable Alignment.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think I'm gonna make it in time. Sorry guys. Guess I'll try next time.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

16. - Top - End - #196
    Pixie in the Playground

@TSED
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'll work on the vague points and do something about the immunity and alignment sense.
    Last edited by DeskChairLamp; 2009-06-05 at 03:28 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197

Can someone PEACH the Illuminated Priest before this contest is over? I've been dying for some feedback on just about any aspect of it. I'll PEACH someone elses' in return, if they want. x3
    Last edited by Khatoblepas; 2009-06-05 at 11:31 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

I know the feeling, and actually I have been trying...(if it isn't one thing its another and I keep having it get lost in the tabs).

Ok... here goes... it seems a BIT odd that they keep the same domains since they are now drawing power from a different place... make them end up with the Healing domain and either Good or Fire???

Good to see someone breaking out of the 5 or 10 mold for number of levels. Was that just how many levels it fit over, or is that a reference to the number of hours of daylight in an average day?

At 12th level, the aura has become something completely frightening, even to living creatures.
    Yet you list no morale effect at all on living creatures.

At 12th level, on a critical hit, the undead must make a fortitude save or be destroyed.
    Needs the DC specified.

The Radiant Touch stuff sounds good... but they are also getting what are fluffed as called shots without a penalty to the attack roll... seems slightly off in that regard...

Radiant Spell
    It seems obvious, but specify that it is once a round, on the PrC members turn (probably at the end of it), that they need to save.

They still need 8 hours of rest before praying for their spells, however.
    Clerics don't need rest AFAIK... they just can only prepare each slot once a day, and not if it has been used in the last 8 hours.

And here we go...
    Saw something new about a section I already commented on so reread it below, even though some is a repeat.

Reckless Healing:
    You forgot to bold this. Also, this actually DISCOURAGES a CHA score above say... 14 or so, since it a fight in D&D isn't likely to last that long (especially since the extra hp comes off first) so all the CHA is doing is upping the save DC.

Oath of Noon:
    Emphasize that some of these spells are gotten at MUCH lower levels than they would normally be. Also, the Extra-planar thing, combined with no resistance/immunity to blowing up granted from the class, COULD make this instant death if they end up in a strongly positive dominant area from a Dismissal... probably not likely in most campaign settings, but worth mentioning.

Oath of the Eternal Sun:
    Give them "Eschew Material Components" too, for the same reason you made them a living holy symbol.

In the combat section you say "and their radiant touch can eventually destroy undead outright." well... they aren't outright IMMUNE to the undead (including ranged attacks and spells at the higher levels), and even 1d4+12 is NOT very high damage, especially when they can only do it every 5 rounds.

Just occurred to me that Animal, and especially Plant would be good choices for what they can get in addition to Healing to replace existing domains.

Your detailing of there mindset is insightful and I really only have one small problem here... the description of how the sacrifice to the positive energy plane is made very much merits a "(see below for how this is accomplished)" or even moving that part to a special paragraph in or under the requirements section (if below, make it a footnote).

Also, what are the rules if the target makes their save/SR against the Plane Shift?

P.S. I will take my return PEACH on the Rolling Eyeballs, Dark Hearts (both of which are in the same post), and the "Blocker" Feat... and don't feel like you have to do more than skim most of the table for the dark hearts... just look at the Diminutive ones, and skim the rest to get an idea for hp, HD, and other comparative stats in a very rough way.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-06-05 at 12:34 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

19. - Top - End - #199

DracoDei: Alright! This is what I'm talking about. :3 I'll make some changes and clarifications as soon as I have the time (in about an hour or so) and I'll get to looking at your undeads!

And yeah, the 12 levels do represent hours, which is why Morning is the 1st, Noon the 6th hour, and then there is no sunset, like you would expect, since they're forever illuminated.

Thanks for the critique :3

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Have looked through to see what an how you fixed things...
    You have a special ability italized rather than bolded in one place despite it being marked as supernatural rather than spell-like... something with the word "Sun" in it I think.

You also have some garbling with the formatting for the title of the ritual with the gem. (Nice solution on that too I think... not insta-lose, but also something that an unsuspecting NPC would be very unlikely to escape if they are the sort to keep gems in with coinage as merely money that they access from time to time.)

((P.S. Don't forget to PEACH the undead))
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-06-05 at 04:21 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #201
    Halfling in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I just posted mine : The Focused Rager

It's not complete but the rules are complete

Someone mind peach-ing it?

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

The Focused Rager looks like a cool concept. A Barbarian that has learned to let out his rage in controlled bursts. The mechanics need some work though.

Burst of Rage (Ex): The number of Bursts of Rage you can use is enormous, but I guess that's to be expected with the class using it all the time. I assume that the pool is renewed once per day? Otherwise you'd run out before you know it.
    Still, the number of uses could get to be a bit much. A character first entering the class has 7+Con mod Bursts of Rage per day. At level 5 in the class, they have 15+3xCon per day, and at level 10, they have 25+5xCon uses per day. Even with the liberal use of the ability, you would have more than enough to just spam it all.

I suggest making it usable Character level + Con, and then increasing it to Character level + 3xCon at most. Or maybe 2xFocused Rager level + 3xCon at most.

Burst of Strength (Ex): First of all, specify the action to use Burst of Strength. Is it a free action, a swift action or an immediate action (for AoOs)?

I like the limit of times per encounter you can use Burst of Strength, although that will contribute to making Burst of Rage a limitless resource (you only run into 3-4 encounters per day, tops)

Raging Muscle (Ex): Eh.. I would have liked it to scale at least once. Maybe +4, then +8? Do specify the type of action as well. If it's an immediate action, it could help on Strength checks like when Bull Rushed or Tripped.

Ignore Pain (Ex): Again, specify the type of action. Although in this case, I'd make it immediate, and maybe increase the DR a bit (10 at level 10?)

Raging Mind (Ex): The bonus is fine, but the action should be immediate.

Infinite Rage (Ex): A bit too punishing for the bonuses it gives, but I'm not a good judge on balance. If you feel this is the power level you're comfortable with giving him, sure. Personally, I'd lower the damage he takes from the ability (1/2 Str bonus gained by Burst of Strength is enough, methinks). The mechanics of this ability really doesn't fit the name. I was thinking of something more related to duration, but that's just me.

Also, does Burst of Rage qualify as Rage for Rage feats? How does it interact with those, if at all. I guess that's another thing to consider.

PS: Anyone willing to PEACH the Sin Knight?
    Last edited by Pramxnim; 2009-06-05 at 11:15 PM.
    My current homebrews

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    (you only run into 3-4 encounters per day, tops)
    Depends on the GM...
    Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

On average, on average
    My current homebrews

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Today and tomorrow and we're all done here. I swear I will try to PEACH the contest entries I haven't, but RL has been exceptionally busy lately. If I can't PEACH it tonight or tomorrow, I will extend the contest to the end of the week. Everyone's hard work deserves at least one going over and review by someone.

Keep em coming tho!

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The Forsworn is probably one of the most overpowered things that I have ever seen in my entire lifetime... and I love it.

Seriously though, for 10 levels (with easy prerequisites), you gain a +2 bonus on everything vs. good guys, 10 smites per day, four powerful "reversed" vows, good guys need a will save to notice that your evil (even if you kick puppies), you can shrug off any attack from a good guy with a saving throw, you send non-evil summoned creatures back from whence they came, and you regain all of your vow feats without needing to maintain their tenants.

With just vow of poverty and vow of peace alone, that is very powerful.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

I'm beginning to think I was tooting my own horn a little too hard when I gave that little peek into what I had in the works. I don't think I'm going to have it done by the deadline, so I suppose I have to bow out. But fear not, for I will have it done at SOME point. The biggest problem is that I have an Orichalcum Spire in my way, then job and possible moving soon so... yeah, sorry guys.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

28. - Top - End - #208
    Halfling in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Thanks Pramxnim for your help. I made the changes you suggested (especially the type of action for each special ability)

I also tweaked and renamed the last one. Since I reduced the number of Bursts of Rage, I increased the str bonus to +2 and reduced the damage by half. I will still ponder if this is good or not and maybe change it tonight.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The Sybil of the Blinded Eye is awesome.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Due to my inability to look over those classes last night, I'm going to extend the contest out to Friday, and start the voting on Saturday. This should give me the time to PEACH those classes I have yet to, and let any new entrants get in if they so desire.

Sorry guys if it's inconvenient, but hey, you get a few extra days to tweak your stuff to make sure it's perfect for the voting.

-X

P.S. I have some ideas for the next contests, but does anyone want to give me their ideas? If so, PM me :)
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits: