New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [1ed-3ed] How far are you willing to travel for a good game/group?

First let me say thank you for the help guys/gals! A few months back I made a thread asking for helping finding a new group, and I was surprised that I got so many replies giving advice, help, and ideas. Much appreciated!

So, I've recently begun playing with two new groups. 3.x becoming rarer and rarer, it is becoming ever more difficult to find a campaign in my preferred edition, so finding a fun and enjoyable group is a blessing.

I need to drive about 1:20min back and forth for each, but while gas isn't so bad I find it is worth the travel. Getting home around 1am-2am isn't great, but again worth it.

So how far are you willing to go for a good group, or just for one that plays your preferred older edition?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [1ed-3ed] How far are you willing to travel for a good game/group?

I wouldn't be keen on having to leave the city I live in. Given that most games occur after work/school for most people, having to travel great distances and coming home late only to have to get up in the morning again is a drag. Fortunately, there are multiple Universities and colleges where I live, and the city itself has a population of over half a million. Plenty of opportunity.
    "...short, wrinkled, and superfluous." Yes... yes.

Darkling DND - IRC, PBP, and Gamer Networking, plus Character Profiler.
    Now running Low-magic, Sandbox, FR 3.5e DnD. Join #darkling on SorceryNet for more information, or click here.

Let's Play: Siege of Avalon

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I typically travel about 1 minute to downstairs, as we usually play in my townhouse.

However, for a good game I would go about an hour, and have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't think I could go farther than a half hour, maybe hour drive outside of the town I live in, simply cause I really don't like driving that much >.< I'm not the best driver. But if that was the choice I faced, for a good group and a good time, I'd do it. Less than good group, probably wouldn't leave town.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The farthest I've travelled was about 45 minute drive to a game. If the game was really good, I'd be willing to travel about 90 minutes, I suppose...

For my regular Monday night game, we have 2 weeks at my place, a 2 weeks at one of the other guy's houses. When I have to travel there, it's a bit under half an hour...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

35 minutes each way
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

7. - Top - End - #7

Daemon

2 hours each way but then it'd have to like... godly.

Realistically, 1 hour.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Currently it takes me a fair whack of time to get to my weekly games, though a large part of that is that it's on a Sunday morning and I don't have a car so I'm using public transport.

So because I have to get the first train, I typically leave the flat at 8am, arrive at the train station at ten to nine, get off the train at ten to ten and thankfully get a lift for the last part of the journey arriving at five past. So about 2 hours. If the buses ran early enough on a Sunday admittedly it would be closer to an hour and a half overall, or an hour if I had a car and liscence.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

20-30 minutes or 0, if we play in my house.

A lot of people still play 3.x, anyway.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Living in Dubai means it is a struggle to find a good group.

Some members of the group I play with live in Abu Dhabi, which is ok for us because those members come to Dubai on the weekends anyway.

If I drive from my home (Int City) to Abu Dhabi, that's a 2 and a half hour drive, then two and a half back. We usually end up playing 5 hours.

I should prolly mention, that's about 160Km one way, so about 100 miles. (320Km, 200miles).
    Last edited by Baalthazaq; 2009-04-16 at 06:41 AM.
    Looking for a PBP 3.5 game.
    PM me for more details on any of the below characters, or see here
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gnome Illusionist. Preferably with Cityscape allowed.

Kender Spellthief.

LG Hellbred Cleric of Levistus. Fiendish Codex needed.
    Low levels good but hope to reach epic.

Wizard developing his own school of magic.
    Low levels good but hope to reach >18.
    1 custom feat request but it isn't vital.

Warforge Artificer (Backstory not Eberron specific)
    Minimum level 6. Needs dryad cohort.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

10 minutes taking the bus. But then I got lost and spent a further 10 minutes wandering round small streets looking for the right house.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    And two out of three leading anthropomorphic personifications of death agree on the matter.
    Happy to be PMed for rants about stuff, lousy jokes, challenges to a duel because I impugned your honour in that restaurant last night. Look, how was I supposed to know it'd fly that far?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Would that be uphill, or on level terrain? It's a right slog carrying all those books up a slope you know.

Seriously: ~40 minutes travel time each way is probably my limit.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I'm not willing to go very far to play D&D. But I have friends who only get together for game and live about an hour away. So I end up commuting an hour each way to hang out with them and hanging out happens to include D&D.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I have about a 45 mile drive from my Thursday night group (to is a bit shorter, since I'm coming from work; about 32 miles).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm... I'm guess I'm unusual then.

I currently travel ~75 minutes each way for a game. To be fair, it is on mass transit so perhaps that's a lot less traumatic than driving?
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2009-04-16 at 11:48 AM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I used to travel about 100 miles to get to my group, but since I live in California that is considered right next door for us.

Anyway, it only took about an hour with 65 mile an hour speed limits because pretty much the entire trip was on a highway, another advantage to living in California. Of course, my group has split to 3 different states now, so I have no real game any more.

*Sigh*
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
    I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate.
    All those moments will be lost. . . in time. . . like. . . tears, in the rain.
    Time. To die.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrud View Post
    I used to travel about 100 miles to get to my group, but since I live in California that is considered right next door for us.

Anyway, it only took about an hour with 65 mile an hour speed limits because pretty much the entire trip was on a highway, another advantage to living in California. Of course, my group has split to 3 different states now, so I have no real game any more.

*Sigh*

Wait. That math seems funny.

You needed to drive 100 miles.

You went at 65mph.

Yet it only took you one hour?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

with mass transit I will travel ~2 hours to game, but if I have to drive about 45 minutes is my limit

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Wait. That math seems funny.

You needed to drive 100 miles.

You went at 65mph.

Yet it only took you one hour?
    Hmmpf, that's what happens when you have to type the same note out 3 times cos you keep losing it when the dang thread won't load correctly. The first 2 times it said an hour and a half. Third time I apparently forgot to add that. Feh. Stupid board loading issues.
    Last edited by Thrud; 2009-04-16 at 12:45 PM.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
    I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate.
    All those moments will be lost. . . in time. . . like. . . tears, in the rain.
    Time. To die.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

40 minutes by car would just about be my maximum.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Hmm... I'm guess I'm unusual then.

I currently travel ~75 minutes each way for a game. To be fair, it is on mass transit so perhaps that's a lot less traumatic than driving?
    Yeah, if it was mass transit I could probably go max of 2 hours either way. Driving is essentially a time sink, best you can do is listen to something. Mass transit though, you can read, play on a portable game system, even watch a movie on a portable dvd player or something. Or possibly even do work and homework on the ride. Infinitely more useful than driving.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

When I used to play Living Greyhawk, I used to travel all over. I once drove 4 hours with 2 friends from Boston to Montreal, QB for a LG convention. Cost be about $350 for a weekend of gaming by the time we covered gas, lodging, and convention fees. I also flew from where I was living in Kansas City to Washington, DC for DDXP. That was about a $400 plane ticket + ~$200 for lodging and food.

Then there's the number of times I've driven at least and hour for a single game. Adding them all up, and I probably spend about $2000 on gas in about 6 years of playing LG
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Some guys were playing in Indianapolis (about 45ish minutes away) and invited me to join them, but I passed. Not that 45 minutes is a harsh drive, but I get lost in this town finding people's houses, and that's a fair trek to meet strangers. Especially considering I'm not exactly a social butterfly. I'd feel a little out of my element, almost stranded. But my anxieties aren't the topic here.

Also, I was fortunate and found a nice group that plays right down the road. Maybe takes 10 minutes to get there if I hit all the red lights.

Now, how far would I travel to game? If I knew the game was good and knew the people? I can see driving to Indy. Maybe further (2+ hours), especially if I was crashing and coming back the next day or something.

EDIT: Sorry you're having trouble finding 3.5e games. I know the frustration! Then I caved and started playing 4e. They're both fun.
    Last edited by ocato; 2009-04-16 at 05:55 PM.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

My friends Terry and Melony would routinely travel from eastern Washington over the Cascades into western Washinton, probably a six hour drive minimum and sometimes through snowy conditions, just for the game.

That was before I drove, so they'd stop by at my house and pick me up. After six hours, what's a 30 minute detour?

It wasn't even a very good game. But it was a consistant one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    Casters effectively lost every weakness they had (from AD&D), and everyone else suffered for it. Since this was done as a direct result of player requests ("make magic better!"), I consider it one of the all-time best reasons NOT to listen to player requests.

Most people wouldn't know what makes a good game if it stripped naked, painted itself purple, and jumped up on a table singing "look what a good game I am!".

25. - Top - End - #25

I play in one monthly game (30 minute drive), host one monthly game, and play in one bimonthly game (45 minute drive). In the past I've been in a game which required an hour commute.

Actually, now that I'm in the kids phase of my life, the bigger question is how much am I willing to pay for babysitting per month to get my gaming in. Right now it is $120.

Shortest commute definitely is to my play-by-post and play-by-email games.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

At the moment I travel no where, since two of the players (inc me) live at my house, 2 of them travel about an hour each, and 1 travels like 10 mins. I think I'd probably go an hour each way, if it was a good game.
    Gibbo

Read about the Lady of the Night and her daring and worldly crew searching for Ilos and the cultists trying to bring him back. The cultist's now defeated the heros retire until the next catastrophe.

Gremshak - Bounty hunter

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Living in SW Louisiana, there aren't too many options. I would be willing to drive more than an hour, if it was a good group, and I considered the people friends also. The only group I really know, only plays every now then. We'll get together to play for a couple months, then won't play again for a year . And for that group, I would typically drive for about 50 minutes, and those were friends.

So, anyone around Lake Charles, LA, or Beaumont, TX, want to play ?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

30-40 minutes tops, since that's the time it takes to go from downtown to uptown using our transit system.

other then that it would require paying horrible taxi fares and unless it's the most awesome game evar (so awesome it busts the english language) i really don't feel like paying additional transportation fees if i can help it.

luckily all games i play are at the FLGS so i've only need to walk 5 minutes at a leisurely pace (though i heard rumors about moving it to the common area in our building).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Travel is horrible in Metro Manila. It's either too expensive, incredibly dangerous, or bogged down by so much traffic that it won't be worth it.

I'm not even willing to travel further than a 5 mile radius of my house, though I have a couple of times--because transportation was provided for. :P

Thankfully, I can get good players from the school I teach in. If only they were a bit more committed. :P
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2009-04-18 at 06:30 PM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

An hour-twenty on a fixed-gear bicycle.
    Along a street with bad shoulders and heavy traffic.
    With 40 lbs of climbing gear on my back.
    (Okay, maybe I'm not just going for the game.)

...Starting now.