New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #649 - The Discussion Thread

Here Lies the Fourth Wall
    2003-2009
    "It will not be missed"

Super funny strip, Giant. Seriously, my coworkers are looking at me like I'm a lunatic because I keep cracking up. And actually changing the cast page? A stroke of true genius!
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

2. - Top - End - #92
    Halfling in the Playground

Heh! The cast page change made that very funny, though I'm not sure it'll work so well in print.
    I wonder whether they will be killing Xykon five strips from now? V could probably manage it just now. Of course, if Redcloak got away with the phylactery V's magic would still have achieved little since V abandoned V's family to keep it.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Note that if Durkon actually had a scroll of Resurrection, the cost of material components would already be included in that, and no additional diamonds would be needed. The loss of the diamonds would therefore be annoying and costly (scrolls are expensive), but not reason to panic. Since Durkon does not suggest this as an option, this suggests that Durkon does not, in fact, have such a scroll. The fiends lied to Vaarsuvius (again).

Will he/she figure it out?

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by fractal View Post
    Note that if Durkon actually had a scroll of Resurrection ... Since Durkon does not suggest this as an option, this suggests that Durkon does not, in fact, have such a scroll. The fiends lied to Vaarsuvius (again).
    The fiends said Durkon had a scroll of sending, not of resurrection:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0634.html
    Last edited by Iain; 2009-04-30 at 02:48 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    Gah, you're right, he's been dead almost a third of the comic!
    Yes, but to be fair, in these 207 strips, Roy had some good spot, regardless of beeing a dead fighter. He also saluted Gary!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

6. - Top - End - #96

MindFlayer

My first reaction was to complain that cheap meta-solutions like that don't work too well for OotS, even less so when they appear like a tired 8-bit-theatre rip-off (an impression increased by the artificial extent to which V's current power is portrayed as irrelevant... which doesn't work too well either because v got them there and Durkon acknowledged the destruction of the golem as a problem).

But then... Haley stealing from the cast page could be taken as a symbol for some haggling with an imaginary DM ('it's been etablished way back, right at the beginning of the campaign, that I have a big-ass diamond in my belongings. I never lost my regular purse, I haven't spent it, so it must be still there'). This doesn't quite fit with the I O Me but if we regard that as a throwaway gag since the cast page isn't the main material, it still works!

Something similar could apply to V... the DM going along with any hare-brained solution that renders V non-vital as a subtle hint that the splice isn't going to be a continuous moment of glory.

Wishful thinking? Maybe. But it's nice when even a comic you found initially disappointing can make you think and appreciate it on some level.
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic" - Joseph Stalin

7. - Top - End - #97

Zombie

That was brilliant. Love the change to the cast page! Love the paciness we're getting at the moment, finally get the 6 back together (even if it may be to tear them apart again soon after!)

Incidentally, it's probably a bad sign that I have had dreams about waiting for my rss feed to update....

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    The fiends said Durkon had a scroll of sending, not of resurrection:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0634.html
    Hmm, an interesting point - that could be interpreted that way. However, why would you concern yourself with the casting time of Sending but not of Resurrection? They both take 10 minutes.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Hang on. If Haley can do that, can't she go back to a few strips before she lost her voice, and replace the treasure in her sacks with rocks?
    To the guy responsible for Belkar, Haley and Vaarsuvius. Thank you for providing over 800 comedy gems.

My Favourite Giant Posts
    Well, It Took 10 Years, But His Tolerance For Rules-Based Criticism Finally Snapped Like A Dry Breadstick
    Race Should Not Dictate Alignment

"What's the point in defending the defensible? Where's the challenge in that?" - Nick Naylor, Thank You for Smoking

Spot the Toxic Comic Fans! Gotta Catch 'Em All!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

I rarey comment on the comic but I loved this one - just made me LOL so much (V's solution to their golem problem, Hayley stealing the diamond off herself, and of course the last panel comment by Belkar).

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by fractal View Post
    However, why would you concern yourself with the casting time of Sending but not of Resurrection? They both take 10 minutes.
    Absolutely valid when considering whether the fiends' plan would work, but the fiends didn't care about that - they were just using it to make V choose the splice for the wrong reasons. They could say this without lying (assuming Durkon actually does have a scroll of Sending); if it was a bit ambiguous, then so much the better - V was more likely to buy it.
    Also, I suppose having a scroll of either would reduce the wait by 10 minutes, giving the dragon less time to soul bind the kids, so it wasn't entirely irrelevant.
    Last edited by Iain; 2009-04-30 at 04:39 AM. Reason: another spelling mistake

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Wow, never has the fourth wall been so broken before. Initially, the diamond part felt like a cheap solution and as I was reading I knew the Giant would have changed something in the main character page, otherwise it would have been too cheap for him to use. I am a fan of inside jokes and obscure references, so this made me smile a bit. Enough not to dislike the strip.

Belkar's joke at the last panel was indeed funny, but I think it is something he could have said even before today's strip. I do not know how hard bone golems are to beat, but the whole diamond part could have easily been skipped. I just feel today's strip only served the purpose to stall until we reach 650. A new strip is better than no strip and if this is what it takes to reach 650, let it be.

13. - Top - End - #103

Ouch... I think... I think there are some shards of the fourth wall in my face. I seem to recall something about panels and diamonds and then there was this big explosion...

Funny and all but I do think it's a bit of an easy way out masked by gags.
    All in all, I'd prefer this to 150 more strips about fixing the diamond issue by the conventional methods.
    The hippies wanted peace and love.
    We wanted Ferraris, blondes and switchblades. - Alice Cooper

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

All this talk of the diamond being a "cheap solution" misses the salient point, that the relevant problem was only created in the same strip - hence it's only there for the purpose of the gag resolution. If it had wrapped up something that had been a plot thread for a while, then it might have seemed cheap.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

I love the fact the cast page now has an IOU rather than that diamond.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

16. - Top - End - #106

I love it how you updated the cast page as well. Win!

p.s. V turning into a dragon again and smashing the golem was great!
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Indeed, the best pickpockets EVER.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Truly the best breaking of the fourth wall ever. And an awesome strip, too. And that the cast page has changed... that is pure genius.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

So, was I the only one who caught the Lola Rennt reference?

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

20. - Top - End - #110

Methinks Belkar just jinxed everything. (Dives for cover to avoid unexpected plot twist).
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Filth View Post
    All this talk of the diamond being a "cheap solution" misses the salient point, that the relevant problem was only created in the same strip - hence it's only there for the purpose of the gag resolution. If it had wrapped up something that had been a plot thread for a while, then it might have seemed cheap.
    Thank you! OOTS is still supposed to have humour, for all its story arcs, and this was just a joke. Durkon had the diamonds: the only reason to lose them and get the Cast diamond in one strip was for a gag.

And, I expect, as a bit of a fake-out to people who've complained about the strip dragging on and Roy not getting raised: 'Oh no, the diamonds are gone! Yet more strips before Roy comes back! Haha! Fixed it!' all within about ten panels.
    Apparently, I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level): Strength 13; Dexterity 14; Constitution 12; Intelligence 17; Wisdom 16; Charisma 13. I'm down with that.

My Paper Master build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72568

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

*Clap clap clap*

That was HILARIOUS! And good on Vaarsuvius for squashing the bone golem.

Can't find the updated cast page .. can someone supply a link? Must be having an attack of the stupids.

ETA: It's been pointed out to me . Thanks.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2009-04-30 at 06:27 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Hey, the cast page is back. I remember it was gone for a while... was it in preparation for this strip?
    Both comics' cast pages were gone, so it was probably just a glitch. That said, getting the page restored may have inspired that fourth-wall joke.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

There were a lot of little things that I very much enjoyed about this strip:

- No one is impressed or scared or awed by the Pink Dragon, so much so that the shift didn't even occur in-panel (making it a real "pfft!" throwaway, brought home by the only response being "Whoa." by Roy, who is inaudible). So even V's "biggest" (literally) show is a flop to hir friends and compatriots. However, the expedient method of destroying the golem (yeah, just step on it, ha!) was funny, as was the <blink, blink> response from the party;

- Durkon getting his pocket picked.... by some level 2 thieves. I seriously had to go back and check that they didn't say they were the "most awesomest pickpockets ever" to empahsize their youth and inexperience and Durkon's totally dwarven lack of sensitivity to (even a relatively incompetent) invasion of his personal space, even when that personal space includes a really rather large bag of diamonds that you'd think he'd a) be paying attention to whether they were still on his person, since he both needs them shortly, and they are of course valuable on their own account, and b) notice if they were removed, since the bag is an object of significant size whose absence should be noticeable (if only because it's not banging against your leg with every step, diamond edges-- they do seem to be cut, so they have points and edges-- suddenly no longer pricking one in the thigh, etc.). Even the fact that he's walking openly with valuables through the home city of the Thieves' Guild doesn't make an impression on his complete 'block of wood'-ness. Makes you just want to give him a kiss on top of his bald head and sigh, "Oh, Durkon....!"

- Elan reverting to his usual ingenuous self, seemingly, but this time with a difference-- in combination with Haley's skills, he actually came up with the most effective solution to the problem at hand. Wow. Suddenly, it's "Elan as he should be".

- But my very favorite thing, which is still making me smile, is Haley climbing the sidebar to get the diamond from the cast page. I'm sure she could have "gone around the back" (we know there is a backstage, a green room, etc), but no.... she climbed the bloody sidebar (which I will spend some time wondering how The Giant got the edge of pictured in the strip), which was just... brilliant. It's also fun to open the two cast pages-- thanks for the links, Ron Miehl-- in two browser tabs, and switch between them quickly; if you do this little animation, you see that nothing whatsoever is changed/moved in the strip itself (or even Haley's panel), with the exception of the diamond being replaced by the I.O. Me. Which has got to be some kind of tour-de-force(let) of illustration, or tracing, or layers or something. I'm not an artist (obviously), but it seems to me that it wasn't just "nothing" to do, and do as well/neatly as it was done. As always, it's lovely to see The Giant's attention to detail-- and his sense of humour, since how long has it been since any of us long-time readers went to the Cast page? It made me laugh that I (and, I knew, many others as well) went immediately there as soon as Elan mentioned it (for me, even before reading the rest of the strip), because my first thought was "Did Haley have a diamond on the Cast page? I don't even remember." And of course she left herself an I.O. Me. How sweet of herself.

See? I'm still smiling. And probably Roy will be back next strip (since there are no further impediments to his resurrection), and things will get a bit cliffhangery again as we draw the book to a close (seems to me that a nice full-cast-restored shot with a hint of doom on the horizon as a segue to the next series is a natural end point, no matter what the math says), so it's all good.

Nice strip. Still smiling.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRocks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Filth
    was only created in the same strip - hence it's only there for the purpose of the gag resolution. If it had wrapped up something that had been a plot thread for a while, then it might have seemed cheap.
    Thank you! OOTS is still supposed to have humour, for all its story arcs, and this was just a joke. Durkon had the diamonds: the only reason to lose them and get the Cast diamond in one strip was for a gag.

And, I expect, as a bit of a fake-out to people who've complained about the strip dragging on and Roy not getting raised: 'Oh no, the diamonds are gone! Yet more strips before Roy comes back! Haha! Fixed it!' all within about ten panels.
    I do not disagree with any of you. All the obstacles have been resolved and the strips are coming at a regular pace so the resurrection is only a matter of a few days. I have never felt the comic was dragging and I certainly do not feel this way now. The diamond reference was indeed an one-strip gag, but it just was not my cup of tea. Some found the change in the cast page funny, some the whole gag in itself, but it is just a personal preference. I liked more V's shapechange which was like "OK, now we need to destroy the golem. V: This is taking too long and my patience is getting thin *instant shapechange - problem solved - silence*" But it was overshadowed by the diamond gag. To me this felt like a filler strip, but not very successful (geneally the forum seems to think otherwise though).

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    So, was I the only one who caught the Lola Rennt reference?
    Nope, but I haven't seen the film, either. Care to elaborate?

27. - Top - End - #117

I'm surprised no-one else mentioned this, what with everyone all rushing to the cast page:

The mysterious Vaarsuvius, keeper of a thousand arcane secrets.
    And each one would drive you MAD!
    MAD!
    The more things change...
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by deworde View Post
    Hang on. If Haley can do that, can't she go back to a few strips before she lost her voice, and replace the treasure in her sacks with rocks?
    She can't. No amount of sneakyness can get her back in strip-time. The cast page is an alternate reality, outside of the strip's mainstream.

29. - Top - End - #119

Most of my points have been made, but you can never say that this comic was awesome enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Excellent page. Nice to see Haley living up to her new hair style.