New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [weapon] knucklers

knucklers
    These simple weapons are made by taking a flattened metal rod and bending it to conform to the fist. They are used to add extra damage to a punch and are usually employed by thugs and other ruffians.

Weapon type: Bludgeoning
    Weapon proficiency: simple/monk
    Damage: +2 damage to unarmed strikes made with fists
    Range:--
    Critical: --
    Critical damage:
    Requirements: none
    Availability: common
    Cost: 5 gold
    Special

Knucklers grant the user a +2 to damage with unarmed strikes. Knucklers can be worn over bracers. Enchanted sets are very rare as the very ruffians that use them make most of them. Enchanted knucklers count as gauntlets for the purpose of determining magic items on the body.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [weapon] knucklers

Um, wouldn't someone think about smacking someone else over the head with the rod before wrapping it around their hand? Maybe you should give it a bonus to disguising it as weaponry. Otherwise...yeah.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Brass Knuckles are easier to hide in a pocket, however. ;)

Hm... I think it's a decent concept, it provides a minor damage boost for low-level monks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I could give it a bonus to slight of hand checks made to conceal it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

You could also give rogues proficiency with it, considering that they're proficient with stuff they can hide.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I finally remembered this account after two years. If I begin to get nostalgic, just snap me out of it. Don't worry, I don't expect you to remember me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

They’re simple weapons so rogues are proficient in them.

edit for spelling

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Brass knuckles never struck me as something a monk would use; you even describe it as a ruffian's weapon. How about simply using it with your unarmed proficiancy, allowing you to deal lethal damage with regular punches? It would be a good backup weapon for rogues, letting them make the most of their sneak attacks. It would be a cheap alternative to the Imp. Unarmed Strike feat; you still provoke attacks of opportunity, but it's better than nothing, and when you catch them flat-footed it doesn't matter anyway.

Perhaps it could increase damage by +1 if you have Imp. Unarmed Strike, but I don't think it should have a higher bonus. Damage bonuses add up, remember; imagine, for example a ranger/rogue in a setting dominated by humans. With a +2 bonus from knuckles, +2 favored enemy bonus, strength, sneak attack and whatever else he'd come up with; he'd be an extremely lethal assassin without any obvious weapons or magic even at low levels.

Spiked knuckles could have a slightly higher bonus, but they'd be a bit harder to make and conceal.
    "You know the difference between you and me?"
    "I make this alignment look good."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlemaniac
    Brass knuckles never struck me as something a monk would use; you even describe it as a ruffian's weapon. How about simply using it with your unarmed proficiancy, allowing you to deal lethal damage with regular punches? It would be a good backup weapon for rogues, letting them make the most of their sneak attacks. It would be a cheap alternative to the Imp. Unarmed Strike feat; you still provoke attacks of opportunity, but it's better than nothing, and when you catch them flat-footed it doesn't matter anyway.

Perhaps it could increase damage by +1 if you have Imp. Unarmed Strike, but I don't think it should have a higher bonus. Damage bonuses add up, remember; imagine, for example a ranger/rogue in a setting dominated by humans. With a +2 bonus from knuckles, +2 favored enemy bonus, strength, sneak attack and whatever else he'd come up with; he'd be an extremely lethal assassin without any obvious weapons or magic even at low levels.

Spiked knuckles could have a slightly higher bonus, but they'd be a bit harder to make and conceal.

so far, you've pretty much described Gauntlets. Your weapon is basically an alternate variation of a Gauntlet, which let's you fight as though you're armed. Not Provoke AoOps and and increase damage.
    Member of a fanclub.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Knuckles are identical to gauntless(stat wise) except their easier to hide, but you cant hold something while using them.

Spiked knuckles would just change damage to piercing, unless the spiked where really big, then they'd function as katars (punching daggers)
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Note to self: read up on similar rules before making long, disagreeing posts.

Well, it would make sense for knuckles and gauntlets to have similar rules, with knuckles being slightly inferior but easier to hide.
    "You know the difference between you and me?"
    "I make this alignment look good."