New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Masterwork Tools (3.5)

So, after listing off all of the specific masterwork tools, the equipment list has an entry:
    Tool, Masterwork

This well-made item is the perfect tool for the job. It grants a +2 circumstance bonus on a related skill check (if any). Bonuses provided by multiple masterwork items used toward the same skill check do not stack.
    The tools listed are for Craft (all), Climb, Disguise, Heal, Appraise, Perform, Open Lock, and Disable Device. I suppose silk rope counts as a masterwork item for Use Rope. These all make a lot of sense.

I'm curious as to what people think a "masterwork tool" would be for all of the other skills. Here are my ideas (some more serious than others):

• Balance - An internally mounted gyroscope
    • Bluff - ??
    • Concentration - Ritalin?
    • Decipher Script - Perhaps Cliffs Notes, like Knowledge, or some other sort of cheat sheet
    • Diplomacy - Very nice clothing or some such? Depends who are you treating with...
    • Escape Artist - Grease that you coat yourself in
    • Forgery - ??
    • Gather Information - A reporter's notebook.
    • Handle Animal - A chair and a whip
    • Hide - An army camo uniform. More seriously, garb that helps you blend in with your surroundings.
    • Intimidate - A scary mask.
    • Jump - Springs on your boots or a hat with a propeller.
    • Knowledge - Cliffs Notes
    • Listen - The type of big horn that people used before hearing aids.
    • Move Silently - Padded shoes, securing all of your gear so it doesn't make noise, etc...
    • Profession - This would be profession specific.
    • Ride - A really nice saddle? Military saddle does this in *some* cases.
    • Search - Google. Maybe glasses again? This feels unsatisfying
    • Sense Motive - ??
    • Sleight of Hand - Flashly things to distract people with
    • Spellcraft - Perhaps Cliffs Notes, like Knowledge
    • Spot - Glasses or binoculars
    • Survival - A swiss army knife, a hatchet, and a towel
    • Swim - Flippers or a life jacket
    • Tumble - ??
    • Use Magic Device - To quote my DM, kjones, (who inspired this by giving a UMD masterwork tool to a character he built): "What is it? I dunno. Maybe a hat."

I am very interested in both non-serious answers and serious ones (especially serious answers for things where I had nothing or just had a bad joke (which is most of them, I fear...)).
    Last edited by msully4321; 2009-05-18 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Typo

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Masterwork Tools (3.5)

Not all skills necessarily have a masterwork tool, and even those that do, don't necessarily have that cost and weight (the masterwork tool for alchemy, for instance, is a huge laboratory costing a thousand GP). That entry in the DMG is just intended as a rough guideline.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by msully4321 View Post
    Balance - An internally mounted gyroscope
    Or a 10' pole.
    Bluff - ??
    A holy symbol of the local god of truth. Free, though the Lightning may be an issue.
    Concentration - Ritalin?
    Blinders, perhaps.
    Decipher Script - Perhaps Cliffs Notes, like Knowledge, or some other sort of cheat sheet
    X-to-Common dictionary. Or just none, I don't like MW tools for mental skills.
    Diplomacy - Very nice clothing or some such? Depends who are you treating with...
    5 GP. Unless you have a better way of getting a bonus for 50 GP(over 10 uses).
    Escape Artist - Grease that you coat yourself in
    Ew. But it works.
    Forgery - ??
    A writing desk, covered in various impliments useful for duplicating writing(colored inks, seals, pens of various qualities)
    Gather Information - A reporter's notebook.
    See diplomacy.
    Handle Animal - A chair and a whip
    Doggie treats. The exact makeup depends on the monster, though dragons seem to prefer labrador.
    Hide - An army camo uniform. More seriously, garb that helps you blend in with your surroundings.
    Yes. Alternatively, camo facepaint.
    Intimidate - A scary mask.
    Any masterwork weapon. Unless you're saying that an exquisitely wrought dagger, 'so sharp that you don't feel feel the cut until I apply the acid' doesn't add +2?
    Jump - Springs on your boots or a hat with a propeller.
    I believe the shoes are dedicated to the great god Nike.
    Knowledge - Cliffs Notes
    See decipher script. Unless you're talking about a library or something, your char will probably know most of the info on his own with any ranks.
    Listen - The type of big horn that people used before hearing aids.
    It's called an ear trumpte, IIRC.
    Move Silently - Padded shoes, securing all of your gear so it doesn't make noise, etc...
    A rat covered in cymbals. It doesn't mke you quieter, it masks your sound.
    Search - Google. Maybe glasses again? This feels unsatisfying
    Magnifying glass, I'd say, which I think Dungeonscape came up with.
    Sense Motive - ??
    The person's loved ones and a dagger.
    Sleight of Hand - Flashly things to distract people with
    A cape and large sleeves.
    Spot - Glasses or binoculars
    Glasses work.
    Swim - Flippers or a life jacket
    Fins work.
    Use Magic Device - To quote my DM, kjones, (who inspired this by giving a UMD masterwork tool to a character he built): "What is it? I dunno. Maybe a hat."
    A monk.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Most of my characters who have ranks in Tumble invariably buy some masterwork tights. Nothing says agility like underwear that won't bind or hang up on you.

As far as mental skills, it could just be something like a library card. Your character swaps books in between adventures, and this access to large amounts of random knowledge helps you be prepared when the time comes. Just because its a tool, doesn't mean you have to be using it at the exact time you make the check. That doesn't mean that reading every night won't feed you tidbits of info that may or may not be useful in a given circumstance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

A copy of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Multiverse gives a +2 bonus on all Knowledge checks. However, it can also cause negative consequences on a failed check:

Failure by less than 5: Nearly accurate information
    Failure by 5 to 10: Plausible-sounding but wholly inaccurate misinformation
    Failure by over 10: Hilariously dangerous misinformation
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Decipher Script: A Reference Book of Runes and other Characters, Alphabets, and Sigils and their relation to the common tongue. Essentially the etymology of how all the languages meld together and flow, probably from the standpoint of the common tongue.

Knowledge: Encyclopedias/Reference Guides covering appropriate subject matter.

Survival: Any number of handybooks on outdoorsmanship(even if it's underdarkmanship).

UMD: Bellippo's Most Popular Command Words

I'm gonna have to go for Forgery with the sentiments on some kind of "Forger's Kit" which might also be what one would do with Decipher Script, y'know, things to reveal hidden inks and dyes, lenses to reveal certain runes that kind of thing...
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-05-19 at 12:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    . Ew. But it works.
    The spell grease offers a significant enhancement on escape artist checks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid
    I believe the shoes are dedicated to the great god Nike.
    Nike is a goddess, heathen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The Arms and Equipment Guide lists a few MW tools or consumable kits that didn't make it into 3.5, viz.:
    an animal trainer's kit of whips and treats(!),
    a collection of different pens, parchments and waxes for Forgery,
    a jester's kit for certain Perform checks,
    navigator's tools for what would now be a subset of Survival checks at sea,
    a snorkel and flippers for Swim, and
    focusing crystals and other aids for the now defunct Scry skill, which could convincingly be appropriate for UMD also.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

My character has a book of magical phrases that is a UMD tool.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

I am very interested in both non-serious answers and serious ones (especially serious answers for things where I had nothing or just had a bad joke (which is most of them, I fear...)).
    I'll go serious, and say that I often don't allow items for skills - or I may allow it, but it's not portable, or only applies to a certain type of check covered by the skill.

• Balance - a pole, if appropriate to the task might work. Can't simply have it at all times though, it precludes using weapons.
    • Bluff - Can't think of any low-tech non-magical item
    • Concentration - Depends on the role; I might allow an analgesic drug to aid concentration checks related to pain, for example, but would apply a penalty to dex skills or something.
    • Decipher Script - Library of appropriate texts, etc. Bulky, costly, not generally portable, but available for consultation in bigger cities.
    • Diplomacy - Appropriate attire, certainly.
    • Escape Artist - Grease could work, but obviously carries other penalties.
    • Forgery - Sure, a kit might help with this; varieties of inks/pens/waxes, common stamps and carvable blocks for duplicating seals, etc.
    • Gather Information - Can't think of much.
    • Handle Animal - Appropriate gear by species; a horse trainer might have a variety of horse related training gear.
    • Hide - Camouflage clothing - by terrain.
    • Intimidate - Gear suiting the character; what works for the barbarian may not help the warlock.
    • Jump - Unlikely.
    • Knowledge - Library, again.
    • Listen - Unlikely, though a listening horn for doors might make sense for that particular purpose.
    • Move Silently - Padded shoes, securing all of your gear so it doesn't make noise, etc...
    • Profession - This would be profession specific.
    • Ride - A really nice saddle, yes.
    • Search - Probably multiple tools; small magnets carefully balanced and free to swing to detect metal (nails, etc), liquids (or coloured gases) that can be poured to discover cracks, bugs that try to find dark hiding spots (release them and watch where they go), small ballbearings that can roll on non-level surfaces, etc.
    • Sense Motive - Hightech? Possibly MRI, polygraph (though we know that these are not always reliable). Low tech, anything that might make the opponent more nervous - drugs that cause anxiety?
    • Sleight of Hand - Flashly things to distract people with. Outfits with hidden pockets, trick sleeves, etc.
    • Spellcraft - Another type of library...
    • Spot - Glasses or binoculars
    • Survival - Well made camping gear.
    • Swim - Inflated sheep bladders, etc.
    • Tumble - Depending on the tumbling in question? For example, a sprung floor is used in the floor show; a specially padded suit might be handy in a tumble to ignore damage from a fall?
    • Use Magic Device - No idea - unless agins, a book (or more than one) with common activations, magic phrases, etc.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

bugs that try to find dark hiding spots (release them and watch where they go)
    I'm now ashamed of myself that I never thought of this. That's one more item for my characters' five-page equipment lists!
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine View Post
    • Swim - Inflated sheep bladders, etc.
    But can they be employed to prevent earthquakes?
    The Logic Ninja's Guide to Wizards: Being Batman

Solo’s Stupendously Superior Sorcerer Stratagems

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    (The rum cake is too delicious for any mundane to have baked. Take 50 san as you realize Martha Stewart is not of this world.)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bluff - Masterwork Sunglasses. A noticeable amount of sense motive is done by looking at the persons eyes. Also, when playing in a gambling game, having the character bet his sunglasses (And play at a penalty, because he wasn't wearing them for the bonus) was cutely dramatic.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Decipher Script - Rosetta Stone.
    Thank you to Logalmier for the avatar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    dip a level of Dread Necromancer for Charnel Touch, then Grease yourself, and sneak attack yourself with the Touch.

15. - Top - End - #15

Edit: freakin' ninjas. This forum should be a +2 to Move Silently.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2009-05-19 at 07:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alternatively, instead of a masterwork weapon for intimidate, how about a crudely made weapon. I think I'd be more intimidated by a broken glass bottle, rusty dagger, or dull knife than a sharper utensil. It'll take longer or have nastier effect, which equates to more pain, thus scarier.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelos View Post
    Bluff - Masterwork Sunglasses. A noticeable amount of sense motive is done by looking at the persons eyes. Also, when playing in a gambling game, having the character bet his sunglasses (And play at a penalty, because he wasn't wearing them for the bonus) was cutely dramatic.
    Now go out and get yourself some thick black frames
    With the glass so dark they won't even know your name
    And the choice is up to you cause they come in two classes
    Rhinestone shades and cheap sunglasses
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Book Wyrm View Post
    Alternatively, instead of a masterwork weapon for intimidate, how about a crudely made weapon. I think I'd be more intimidated by a broken glass bottle, rusty dagger, or dull knife than a sharper utensil. It'll take longer or have nastier effect, which equates to more pain, thus scarier.
    Alternatively, the crude weapon is the weapon of a drunk who's not thinking straight; painful, perhaps, but also fairly ineffective. A guy who sits down and starts running a scalpel along his arm, mumbling to himself about where the nerve clusters are (maybe even nicking himself purposely for later reference) is a whole other kind of intimidate.

Intimidate is really two rather different skills, like being able to appraise a gem and appraise a house, both encompassed by the same skill. Which leads to problems when you get into these kinds of details.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olo Demonsbane View Post
    My character has a book of magical phrases that is a UMD tool.
    This. With a page (as in the dictionary) showing the right pronuntiation of the magical letters.
    Also, it's possible to have a masterwork-made grip, that helps in keeping your fingers in the right position to wave the wand.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2009-05-20 at 03:07 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

So, after listing off all of the specific masterwork tools, the equipment list has an entry:
    There is one problem with that guideline: for most mental skills, taking out a MW item and using it should increase the time taken by a lot. For instance, a knowledge check is generally a free action, but looking something up in a MW book should take e.g. 2d6 rounds instead.

That said,
    Balance - balancing rod, duh
    Bluff - sunglasses
    Concentration - some of those zen stones
    Diplomacy - clothing would definitely help, but in general the way to get bonuses for diplo is to buy nice stuff for whomever you're trying to influence
    Escape artist - razor ring
    Forgery - a set of special quills
    Gather info - beer
    Handle animal - scooby snacks
    Hide - camo gear, duh
    Intimidate - a badass tattoo
    Jump - ten foot pole time, again
    Ride - saddle would work
    Search - I fail to see how magnifying glasses would work; perhaps you should take a MW dog with you
    Sense motive - mood ring
    SOH - razor ring, again
    Spellcraft - ether goggles
    Spot - see search. Guess what my MW dog is called...
    Survival - it's actually a knowledge check, but I suppose a badass tattoo would help
    Swim - a MW lead girdle so that you can drop it one you're in the water
    Tumble - not carrying a huge backpack, ten-foot poles, or a dog
    UMD - whatever nonsense you can think of, but the DM would have to be quite silly to allow this, as twisting the rules to maximize UMD is a sure sign of munchkinry
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

21. - Top - End - #21

NecromancerGuy

haha... Search: Forensic's kit! Now as to what it contains....
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    UMD - whatever nonsense you can think of, but the DM would have to be quite silly to allow this, as twisting the rules to maximize UMD is a sure sign of munchkinry

The tool should be defined and the eventual limitations clarified.
    A grip to use a wand? OK, you'll have a +2 on UMD (wands only), and it's a standard action to "set in place".
    A page with the right pronuntiation for magical letters? OK, it works only for scrolls, but using a scroll became a 1 round casting time.
    Simulate an alignment? Sorry, no masterwork item can do this.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Spoiler
    Show
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Concentration - some of those zen stones
    Sure.

But throw the DMG at anyone who tries to use them in combat!

Incidentially, is there any use for that skill outside of combat?

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Simulate an alignment? Sorry, no masterwork item can do this.
    Sure it can - appropriate meditation techniques to put you in the right frame of mind.

Infact, a book of some kind is the most logical masterwork item for use magic device, it can include: Common phrases used as triggers, cross-referenced to common styles of magical item (Netherese wand? Yeah, they liked to use...), explanations of which parts of spells are appropriate for spell completion items, pronounciation of magical lettering for scrolls, and treatises on proper meditation techniques to project the right frame of mind to make the item believe you're a particular alignment or race.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mnemnosyne View Post
    Sure it can - appropriate meditation techniques to put you in the right frame of mind.
    I wouldn't concede it, but if the DM agreed, sure.
    (but I find hard to believe it's feasible in combat round)

Edit: scrubbed part of my post, for an observation regardin' the infraction of a certain forum rule...
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2010-07-22 at 04:09 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

For UMD masterwork tools, consider you're going to need something not quite mundane to assist, similar to whatever you might use with Spellcraft. In the case of UMD, I always figured a special material acting as a better medium for emulation made into gloves. The material is either inherently conductive for magic or is somehow lightly spelled, able to be identified as magical but not any specific spell and only confers the circumstance bonus.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Bluff - nothing
    Concentration - nothing
    Diplomacy - nothing
    Forgery - A forgery kit that includes stamps, pens, brushes, inks and parchements. Region dependent.
    Gather Information - nothing
    Hide - no one thing, but clothes designed to blend in with certain enviroments should all stack.
    Intimidate - nothing
    Listen - nothing
    Move Silently - same as hide
    Search - nothing
    Sense Motive - nothing
    Sleight of Hand - nothing
    Spellcraft - nothing
    Spot - nothing
    Tumble - nothing
    Use Magic Device - nothing
    My thoughts are bolded. Some of them are listed as nothing because there's nothing that would actually allow you to be better at the skill while using it during battle.
    Last edited by Zeful; 2010-07-22 at 04:31 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

There's some things for those in official material, Zeful:

Listen has Listening Cone
    Search has Magnifying Glass
    Tumble has Tumbling Vest

You should also use Dangerous Glue-on Mustache for Intimidate, and Kindly Eyebrows for Diplomacy.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

I can't recall where I read this, so I apologize that I can't give due credit, but I thought some of the following were pretty good (although most have already been mentioned in some fashion):
    MW tools for Hide (cloak is mottled and dark), Bluff (distracting lapel pin), Diplomacy (fancy clothes), Spot (eyeglasses), and Concentration (prayer beads)
    As for personal experience, the best item I could come up with for UMD was a pair of glasses with specially attuned lenses that help give insight into the workings of magical items. Sort of like polarized lenses that let you see magical auras or the like more clearly.

Also: Iaijutsu Focus - A bandolier/sheath specially designed to draw a weapon a fraction of a second faster, giving you the chance the catch the opponent that much more off-guard.

30. - Top - End - #30

DrowGuy

Balance=pole
    Decipher script=field guide to idioms across languages
    Hide=(for wilderness) ghillie suite
    Forgery=specialty pens/inks
    Knowledges=tomes
    Concentration=incense