New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Running a Mass Effect campaign - System?

I was thinking of trying to put together a Mass Effect game, but I was getting snagged on trying to fit it into a system. They only two I know of that might work would be either Star Wars Saga Edition or Mongoose Traveller. I'm not very familiar with Traveller but at a cursory glance it looks fun. SWSE however I am more familiar with, it seems like I can make the various races by tweaking existing ones, and the force powers make for a good base for the biotic powers. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: In case some may not be familiar, Mass Effect is a popular sci-fi Action/RPG for the Xbox360 and PC along the lines of KOTOR, and the sequel is coming next year.
    Last edited by SuperMuldoon; 2009-05-19 at 12:17 PM.
    Thog fan 4 life

Helios avatar by The_Architect

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Running a Mass Effect campaign - System?

GURPS perhaps; the Basic Set plus Space and Powers, perhaps high tech/ultratech, and perhaps Transhuman Space, though that's more of it's own setting.

You can download GURPS Lite for free to get an idea of what the system is like; there's also a special version of GURPS Lite specifically for Transhuman Space

I seem to recall reading another question about a mass effect campaign and the other suggestion I remember from that was True20.
    Last edited by Jayabalard; 2009-05-19 at 12:37 PM.
    Kungaloosh!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

GURPS is always my system of choice for SF that's anything short of full-blown, sword-wielding, nothing-but-regular-clothes-wearing space opera.

Transhuman Space as a setting is, by itself, worth getting GURPS (but funnily enough, you don't have to, because the TS books come with GURPS Lite). Best biopunk-cyberpunk interplanetary SF I've come across, ever.

Good SF systems really are few and far between.

4. - Top - End - #4

"It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

If you can find a copy the West End Games Star Wars edition might fit your style. It has rules for armor ships. With the Force rules I don't think it would be to hard to adapt to Biotics with a bit a tweaking. It is an older system so it might be hard to find the rules for it, but it is one that I have always enjoyed running do to the ease of actual system.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of WEG's Star Wars, the company has recycled the ruleset in their fairly recent game d6 Space. I've personally played neither, but I've heard good things about the rules.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

All Flesh Must Be Eaten + All Tomorow Zombies.
    The Unisystem games, such as AFMBE is always a good compromise between D20 and Gurps, as it offers more freedom and adaptability as the first one and is a lot more accessible than the latter one.
    One version of the rules, albeit for a very differnt seting can be downloaded here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsotha-lanti
    Transhuman Space as a setting is, by itself, worth getting GURPS (but funnily enough, you don't have to, because the TS books come with GURPS Lite). Best biopunk-cyberpunk interplanetary SF I've come across, ever.
    Quoted for Truth. Transhuman Space is pure overkill of awesomeness. If you like hard SF.

8. - Top - End - #8

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I've considered running such a game in the Serenity system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
    All Flesh Must Be Eaten + All Tomorow Zombies.
    The Unisystem games, such as AFMBE is always a good compromise between D20 and Gurps, as it offers more freedom and adaptability as the first one and is a lot more accessible than the latter one.
    One version of the rules, albeit for a very differnt seting can be downloaded here.
    Huh, interesting idea. The system is marvelously adaptable and actually pretty good for splatty firearm combat.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by The_Werebear View Post
    I've considered running such a game in the Serenity system.
    It's scary how well it'd work too. However, I do find myself amused by the idea of blue tinted Companions.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.