New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Rhyme and Reason (PEACH)

Rhyme
    This Rapier is considered cursed by warriors and rogues, while prized by bards. This sword forces anyone in posession of it to speak in couplets. Clever retorts in combat increase its power while weak ones lower it. Depending on the wit of the weilder, the rapier may have an enhancement bonus from +3 (being a taunt of great eliquence) to -3 (basicly a grunt) attack and damage. The Rhyme sword is Chaotic and bestows a negative level on any lawful character that tries to weild it.

Reason
    This +1 Axiomatic warhammer is the epitome of analitical thinking. Its owner knows the most logical solution to any problem via a method similar to divination although no concentration is required. Remember, though, that the most logical solution isn't always the best. These solutions are often cold, yet presice. Also, This hammer lowers the DC of the inteligence check to excape a maze spell to 12.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Rhyme and Reason

Rogue: "The dwarf's badly poisoned and in a lot amount of pain, our cleric's unconcious! What should we do?"

Cold, calculating voice in the back of the Paladin's mind: Kill the dwarf. End his suffering.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

More like: "The dwarf's badly poisoned, the cleric's knocked out/ I don't have a plan, but when you do, just shout."
    Cardinal Ximinez by Mephibosheth
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisqui
    And yes, that is pretty much exactly what she meant. Don Beegles FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
    An appeal to me in this fiendish row - is there? Very well; I heard; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

What happens if someone duel-wields them? do they explode?
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

So Rhyme rewards roleplay with a higher enhancement bonus? Interesting. Any chance of a more concrete rule on that? Perhaps a perform(witty retort) check?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddly
    Rogue: "The dwarf's badly poisoned and in a lot amount of pain, our cleric's unconcious! What should we do?"

Cold, calculating voice in the back of the Paladin's mind: Kill the dwarf. End his suffering.
    It would be more like, "Grab your friends and run away, victory is impossible at this point in time. Retreat and Regroup"

As for the duel weilding. You would speak in rhymes and have one negative level if you are either lawful or chaotic. You will also get those analitical messages.

The entire point of rhyme is to get players to roleplay. Not assign some witty retort skill. You as the DM would decide how good that retort is.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Interesting creations... I kinda' like them. I especially like the cold yet precise answers of the hammer!
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

psst, Reason doesnt talk about negative levels anywhere ;)
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Pst...It's Axiomatic

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Does Reason give you any hints on things like riddles? I like the idea of a sentient weapon like that, but it gives the players advantages when they automatically get the most logical path handed to them.
    Rhyme sounds like it would be great. Do the clever retorts have to be in couplets too? I forsee a lot of bad poetry made by players under stress in battle.
    MrMark on wizards and party harmony:&&
    And if the party is giving you a hard time about not pulling your weight? Charm them! They will instantly see the value in what you are doing.
    &&

11. - Top - End - #11
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111
    Rhyme
    This Rapier is considered cursed by warriors and rogues, while prized by bards. This sword forces anyone in posession of it to speak in couplets. Clever retorts in combat increase its power while weak ones lower it. Depending on the wit of the weilder, the rapier may have a bonus from +3 (being a taunt of great eliquence) to -3 (basicly a grunt). The Rhyme sword is Chaotic and bestows a negative level on any lawful character that tries to weild it.
    Someone was playing Monkey Island 3 recently, wasn't he? ;D

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher

Someone was playing Monkey Island 3 recently, wasn't he? ;D
    You don't know me...

And yes, the clever retorts must be in rhymes

True, the hammer will help with some puzzles (DM's discression) but it mostly works on moral delemas. (Ex: "If you let this villian go, he will most likely regroup and attack you later")

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Reason would create some good roleplay situations as well. The most logical way out would probably end up conflicting horribly with a players morals, and... hmm. Make it an intelligent weapon putting pressure on you to do what it tells you... hmmm.
    Heyy. It's that frog. Fantastic.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

oh, I wouldn't want the item to force the way. I just want to give players the thought. an inteligent item would ruin that.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Would Reason attempt to determine a new wielder's personal goals? How good of an understanding of human nature does the hammer have? For example, would it make suggestiongs according to a completely literal interpretation of short-term goals, disregarding emotional impact?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

No, It would simply give the most straightforward answer. For example:

DM: you are in a long, empty, five foot wide hallway, you can see A golden bracelet on a pedistal on the end of the hallway. (The weilder of reason) hears a voice in the back of her mind that says "there is most likely a trap here"

This is even if there are no traps here it will still say that because it is most logical for there to be one in that situation.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Rhyme and Reason (PEACH)

*Opens his fingers and closes them repeatedly as if to say "Gimme!"*

I want Rhyme XD I'm a poet so I would so greatly love to have a rapier like that. I don't think i'd have an finite list of retorts to throw at my enemies when I use it.

reminds me of a DM made this spell to mess with spellcasters: Aluna's Annoying Aliteration. Target who fails his will save must speak only in aliterations or be unable to speak at all.
    Pandas are like ninjas in many ways: They are quiet, they are dressed to camouflage, and they are quite elusive. If only they would get up and do some ninja things instead of just sitting around eating bamboo all the time!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground
    Default Re: Rhyme and Reason (PEACH)

Reminds me of a story... The Phantom Tollbooth... or something like that.