New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Damn, Xykon is smart as Fudge

Seriously. For someone who doesn't like planning he really takes time out to protect himself and his facilities.

2. - Top - End - #2

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: Damn, Xykon is smart as Fudge

Hello, Redcloak?
    I am A:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lawful Neutral Human Wizard (1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 10
    Constitution- 10
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 12

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Xykon just does not like a certain level of planning and preparing. That does not mean he does not prepare to a certain level - and then stops because it simply does not matter anymore (in his opinion) to plan more.

But he's right: People underestimate him and think he is stupid because he does not care and does not *seem* to plan. He looks like a harmless, funny buffon (well, how kills a goblin here and there) but he's not that.

edit: Hehe, and yes, Redcloak is actually known to overplan things. ;)
    Last edited by Ancalagon; 2009-05-26 at 03:24 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Zombie

Yeah, just give Xykon an entertaining reason to do something (pies filled with acid spitting beetles thrown into peoples faces) and he will do it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shadzar View Post
    Yeah, just give Xykon an entertaining reason to do something (pies filled with acid spitting beetles thrown into peoples faces) and he will do it.
    Technically, Redcloak did that...

Quote Originally Posted by Chirios View Post
    Seriously. For someone who doesn't like planning he really takes time out to protect himself and his facilities.
    If you mean the phylactery, that's one thing any lich would bend over backwards to protect. He doesn't have to be a tactical genius to know that warding it is a good idea, especially since he's already had to use it at least once.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Xykon has a short attention span, but he's not an idiot.

"I'm just going to fly in and blast high level spells until everyone dies" does not necessarily mean
    "I'm so scatter brained I'm not going to make sure that my phylactery is protected from being dropped on a hard surface, especially since we already had a close call with it months ago."

Also, he's stated that he's been finding ways to amuse himself since he can only craft magical items for eight hours a day. Which means he probably just created protection spells out of boredom.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Technically, Redcloak did that...
    That was my point. RC can get Xykon to do things including planning when there is something in it for X.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

That was my point. RC can get Xykon to do things including planning when there is something in it for X.
    Oh, you meant the planning. I thought you meant the pie itself.

*whistles innocently*

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Please don't confuse not knowing with not caring!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sorry to mention this...can you be dumb AND an epic level spellcaster? Are there INT bonusses for being a lich? XP from years of evading death?
    Maybe he has a small wisdom score? Or he is plain sadistic and likes his minions to despair. He does not live so maybe life (and all living creatures with their needs and thoughts) are a big joke for him. I wonder whether you get insane by becoming a lich...o.k., you had supremacy before...

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Desastro View Post
    I wonder whether you get insane by becoming a lich...
    I tried telling people in other places that yes you do, but they wish to ignore the 3.5 MM.

"As a rule, these creatures are scheming, and some say, insane."

12. - Top - End - #12

Sorry to mention this...can you be dumb AND an epic level spellcaster?
    Liches get a +2 to Int. Not that it always matters. Bards, Clerics, Druids, Paladins, Rangers, and Sorcerers don't need intelligence to cast spells, epic or otherwise.

It would be pretty interesting to play an epic lich cleric with an intelligence of 5. :D
    Last edited by KingMerv00; 2009-05-26 at 05:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I tried telling people in other places that yes you do, but they wish to ignore the 3.5 MM.

"As a rule, these creatures are scheming, and some say, insane."
    notice that fact that the only part that is an actual rule of that is the scheming. it says people SAY they're insane

sanity is relative anyway.

and I wasn't aware that fudge was smart.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sorry to mention this...can you be dumb AND an epic level spellcaster? Are there INT bonusses for being a lich? XP from years of evading death?
    Maybe he has a small wisdom score? Or he is plain sadistic and likes his minions to despair. He does not live so maybe life (and all living creatures with their needs and thoughts) are a big joke for him. I wonder whether you get insane by becoming a lich...o.k., you had supremacy before...
    When he became a Lich he had +2 to INT/WIS/CHA but he was never the sharpest knife in the drawer to begin with.
    Intelligence is hardly important for sorcerers like Xykon. Short story, for game mechanics sorcerers rely on charisma for their spells.

This is covered in extensive detail in the Start of Darkness book.
    Last edited by Holammer; 2009-05-26 at 05:42 PM. Reason: small edit
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Are there INT bonusses for being a lich?
    Yes. It seemed rather noticeable when Xykon was lichified in Start of Darkness, too.

XP from years of evading death?
    Only if the lich is a PC (NPCs don't typically track XP, just levelling up when the DM says so) and if all those years provided significant challenges to provide the XP.

Maybe he has a small wisdom score?
    Actually, Xykon seems to have the "Street Smarts" and "Willpower" aspects of Wisdom in spades. It's his Wisdom that people really underestimate all the time.

Also: Wisdom and Charisma both get boosts from becoming a Lich as well.

Or he is plain sadistic and likes his minions to despair.
    Uh… yeah. Exactly.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

It's funny how people still think Xykon is dumb buffoon, and attributes all his successes to Redcloak, when the comic has demonstrated at every turn that Xykon is a lot smarter than people give him credit for.

Some people need to learn to look beyond the surface.

17. - Top - End - #17

Well, Xykon got +3 Int/Wis/Cha from aging, AND +2 Int/Wis/Cha for becoming a lich. That means his mental abilities are at least 5 points higher than they were in his youth. Even if he had 7 in Intelligence and Wisdom in first place, he would end up with 12 in these stats. 7 is more-or-less the minimum in a mental ability for a non-mentally-challenged character. 12 is above-average, and high enough to give actual bonuses.
    Last edited by Murdim; 2009-05-26 at 06:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think possibly the main reason people struggle to understand Xykon is because his perception of time and reality have changed through his transition to unlife.

Sure, he may look like he's having fun all the time, but why not? Its not like he's going to die of natural causes at any point, so those days he spent dreaming up stupid & amusing tortures for O-Chul? In the scheme of things that's a pittance compared with how much time Xykon could "live" for.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Please don't confuse not knowing with not caring!
    Exactly.

We've seen time and time again that Xykon is not an idiot, most importantly in the finale to Start of Darkness. I cannot fathom how anyone can still argue that he's stupid. It's like arguing that Belkar isn't evil. There might have been some doubt early on, but there are plenty of instances since that prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's perfectly capable of planning things out.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

When you say Fudge, who do you mean? That guy from Harry Potter? He never seemed all that smart.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    When you say Fudge, who do you mean? That guy from Harry Potter? He never seemed all that smart.
    It's a PG-13 euphemism for another word that begins with F and is four letters long and references the act of human mating.
    Planetkiller avatar by The Randomizer

22. - Top - End - #22

Good luck defining what 'sane' means to a lich.

23. - Top - End - #23

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by KingMerv00 View Post
    Bards, Clerics, Druids, Paladins, Rangers, and Sorcerers don't need intelligence to cast spells, epic or otherwise.
    Wouldn't the int bonus come in handy making those spellcraft checks for epic level spells.

Admittedly with the crazy dc's and the stuff that's come out of char.op, i doubt a couple of ability points are going to make much of a difference

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    I think Cornelius Fudge and Xykon are close to the same competency level. For what that is worth.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

It's funny how people still think Xykon is dumb buffoon, and attributes all his successes to Redcloak, when the comic has demonstrated at every turn that Xykon is a lot smarter than people give him credit for.
    Even granting that Xykon's no idiot, I do think that it's fair to say that Redcloak is smarter than him, and certainly wiser.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Even granting that Xykon's no idiot, I do think that it's fair to say that Redcloak is smarter than him, and certainly wiser.
    Very doubtful, unless you're just talking about D&D stats. Redcloak acts more cautiously than Xykon, so he comes off as being smarter and wiser.

However, you forget that Redcloak is a magnitude weaker than Xykon. An epic lich has power to throw around that a teen-level cleric can only dream about. Xykon acts more rash and reckless because he's got the power, and the smarts, to back it up.

Case in point, almost everyone thought O-Chul was going to destroy Xykon's phylactery. No one thought that Xykon would have warded it with magic.

27. - Top - End - #27

I seem to remember that one of the critical parts of lichification is that you need to prepare a potion. You make it over a rather long time (standard Int buff spells aren't going to help), and make an Int check when you drink it. Make it and you're a lich. Fail and die.

I think these are TSR/WOTC rules, but am not certain. If Rich is "playing" with them, either X got lucky or could even do proper planing (and apply the needed buffs) before lichification

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bladesyz View Post
    almost everyone thought O-Chul was going to destroy Xykon's phylactery. No one thought that Xykon would have warded it with magic.
    Almost everyone thought O-Chul was going to try to destroy the phylactery. But a fairly large number of us felt he was going to fail. Since this was based on the feeling it was the wrong time and the wrong character to be destroying the phylactery, we didn't bother with the exact details of how he would fail. And the text description of a phylactery implies strongly that it has magical protections.

29. - Top - End - #29

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    I seem to remember that one of the critical parts of lichification is that you need to prepare a potion. You make it over a rather long time (standard Int buff spells aren't going to help), and make an Int check when you drink it. Make it and you're a lich. Fail and die.

I think these are TSR/WOTC rules, but am not certain. If Rich is "playing" with them, either X got lucky or could even do proper planing (and apply the needed buffs) before lichification
    Not even a little bit in 3.5 :D

Xykon doesn't seem all that stupid, either. He's no wizard, but really, the difference between 14 int and 30 is that the 30 int character is better at math. 14 is enough to be extremely tactical.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post

I know the potion is mentioned in Van Richten's Guide to the Lich. Called the Potion of Transformation.