New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: tuckers kobolds

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default tuckers kobolds

so, my DM just used this kind of thing against us(still kobolds), twice, and we got wiped both times(I feel, rightly as ive been told, that im good with tactics), so how the hell do you beat them. We tried alot of different things, but they're just too fast what with the tunnels and everything.

Originator of Snorlax for ... Keep the faith.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: tuckers kobolds

Cloudkill.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

1. Go buy a Decanter of Endless Water
    2. Flood dungeon
    3. ???!
    4. Profit!
    Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    I am just saying that Nam seems crazy to Kohl even by violent, homeless, grave-robbing arsonist with a death wish standards.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Party composition and levels?

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

What kind of party, what level, what manner of dungeon and what kinds of tactics are the Kobolds exactly using? Either way, spellcasters are the key. Other than that, readied actions. But more information is required. Modifying the terrain is always the key.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #6

Earthquake, or transmute rock to mud.

Alternatively, ethereal jaunt.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

no arcane =(

8th level cleric(fire, healing)
    9th level barbarian
    9th level bard
    8th level ranger(bow)

not much magic gear, i have a ring of jumping edit: and a +2 magic axe that makes a flashbang to which we are immune 1/ per day, cleric has some kind of magical mace, ranger has a 2/ per day invisibility ring
    EDIT:that's all i can remember for them, they have more

we got got by a pit trap, and lots of fire, and hidden murderholes
    Last edited by rokar4life; 2009-05-26 at 06:00 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

whats a readied action?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rokar4life View Post
    no arcane =(

8th level cleric(fire, healing)
    9th level barbarian
    9th level bard
    8th level ranger(bow)

not much magic gear, i have a ring of jumping, cleric has some kind of magical mace, ranger has a 2/ per day invisibility ring

we got got by a pit trap, and lots of fire, and hidden murderholes
    I thought Bards were arcane. When in doubt kill the kolbolds with fire.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

they are, but its his first campaign, and he choose spells poorly, so no good arcane

11. - Top - End - #11

Entropic Shield and Wind Wall should help against ranged attacks. Obscuring Mist and similar stealth spells could provide useful cover, use Detect Evil and similar to see enemies through walls. Trip traps with Summon Monsters or find them with the Find Traps spell. Enthrall could distract the Kobolds long enough for you to pass the murderholes. Resist Energy blocks out fire. Water Breathing to be used in case of flooding, which Control Water removes. Freedom of Movement will assist in case of entanglement.

The Bard's Feather Fall spell will help against pit traps, Deep Slumber, Scare, Hypnotism and Sleep take out a bunch of Kobolds, and Grease sends them tumbling if they rush you. Ventriloquism and Silent Image are, of course, so handy in many cases. Pyrotechnics can be used to create smoke for cover. If you're really mean, a Lesser Geas can compel one of the Kobolds to guide you through the cave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

What are tuckers kobolds?

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    Take the pathetic Kobold, a lowly creature of minuscule CR. Now make there be a lot of them. Now, give them tactics: traps triggered only when heavy people step on them, corridors only small Kobolds can crawl through, etc. In these non-traditional encounters, parties who should walk all over Kobolds get slaughtered instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Correct response to tuckerian Kobolds? Diplomacy checks, sue for peace, solve the problems without bloodshed, or possibly just throw yourselves on their mercy and beg like children.

Hope this helps. :)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    http://www.tuckerskobolds.com

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

All of the people suggesting specific spells or magic items are missing the point. If you think that particular spells are the solution to Tucker's Kobolds, they'll just beat you again. The two things that are most important against Tucker's Kobolds are first, don't panic, and second, go slow and methodical. Tucker's party, when they first started getting hit by the kobolds, responded by running forward, further into the dungeon, right into more organized mayhem. The correct response is to make sure your retreat is clear at all times, take as much time as you need to keep it clear, and when you do advance, do so slowly enough that you can make sure you're doing it safely.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

To expand on what Chrono's saying, this is what the party did, and why it went wrong.

The first time they met Tucker's Kobolds, they were caught by surprise. It doesn't sound like they had faced anything like this before. Though I don't know for certain, I can probably say that they died really confused.

The second time, they panicked, and dug themselves deeper into their own hole, They should not have run once the hall was on fire and the door shut. They should have tried to open the door, and clear the hallway, taking advantage of any battlefield control they might have, because you need to fight fire with fire. And all Tucker's Kobolds are is ultimate battlefield control.

Really, though, if you need to fight them, the best thing to do is take away their battlefield control any way you can. In this case, don't fight them in the dungeon. Someone mentioned flooding the dungeon. That might work the first time, but I could bet you that if they ever come across them again, they'll have a drainage system set up.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Get a heavy round boulder and roll it down hallways ahead of you...spring traps, crush kobolds....
    Zaphod's just this guy, you know?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by RavKal View Post
    Get a heavy round boulder and roll it down hallways ahead of you...spring traps, crush kobolds....
    Look out behind you now that you have blocked off the forward passage.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Did you have to kill the kobolds, or just get by? Invent in 4 tower shields (regular mundane ones are fine.) 5ft step your way through with total cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Really, though, if you need to fight them, the best thing to do is take away their battlefield control any way you can. In this case, don't fight them in the dungeon. Someone mentioned flooding the dungeon. That might work the first time, but I could bet you that if they ever come across them again, they'll have a drainage system set up.
    Yeah, but once you kill them, they're, y'know... dead. That makes it hard to make a drainage system

22. - Top - End - #22

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by shadzar View Post
    Look out behind you now that you have blocked off the forward passage.
    never said a large boulder, lol.
    Zaphod's just this guy, you know?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Yeah, but once you kill them, they're, y'know... dead. That makes it hard to make a drainage system
    Lol, be even funnier if the next time you come through its Kobolds with some aquatic amphibious template. All you have done is increased thier advantage with the flooding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

24. - Top - End - #24

Just curious, what is the Kobolds' counter to Cloudkill?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Did you have to kill the kobolds, or just get by? Invent in 4 tower shields (regular mundane ones are fine.) 5ft step your way through with total cover.
    Imagine going through a literal meat grinder. No matter which way you go you are buggered.

Tucker's kobolds were like cockroaches crawling out of the woodwork everywhere.

Not doable in 4th because minions die after a single hit, but maybe still can be done by someone wanting to find the right minions and throw out the encounter budget to have about 1000 of the buggers around every turn with any unimaginable trap waiting along with them.

Quote Originally Posted by sebsmith View Post
    Just curious, what is the Kobolds' counter to Cloudkill?
    Narrow corridors and blowing the cloud back upon the party?
    Last edited by shadzar; 2009-05-26 at 10:31 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Not doable in 4th because minions die after a single hit, but maybe still can be done by someone wanting to find the right minions and throw out the encounter budget to have about 1000 of the buggers around every turn with any unimaginable trap waiting along with them.
    I don't know about it not being possible in 4e because of the minion rules, in the link you put up, they mention that the Koblods had 1-4hp, barely better than a minion if at all, and they were a 6th level party, so they were probably effectively one hit kills anyway, even in 3.5.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    I don't know about it not being possible in 4e because of the minion rules, in the link you put up, they mention that the Koblods had 1-4hp, barely better than a minion if at all, and they were a 6th level party, so they were probably effectively one hit kills anyway, even in 3.5.
    But 4th minions hit harder than your average previous edition kobolds right? I don't have a 4th MM to even know if kobolds are minions or brute or whatever.

28. - Top - End - #28

Narrow corridors and blowing the cloud back upon the party?
    Quote Originally Posted by srd
    Unlike a fog cloud, the cloudkill moves away from you at 10 feet per round, rolling along the surface of the ground.

Figure out the cloud’s new spread each round based on its new point of origin, which is 10 feet farther away from the point of origin where you cast the spell.

Because the vapors are heavier than air, they sink to the lowest level of the land, even pouring down den or sinkhole openings. It cannot penetrate liquids, nor can it be cast underwater.
    Assuming we walk up to the entrance to the cave, cast it as deep into the cave as we can see, and wait the minute per level it lasts before entering the Kobold cave; what can the Kobolds reasonably do to keep this from just slaughtering them?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by sebsmith View Post
    Assuming we walk up to the entrance to the cave, cast it as deep into the cave as we can see, and wait the minute per level it lasts before entering the Kobold cave; what can the Kobolds reasonably do to keep this from just slaughtering them?
    Close a door until it dissipates. Also if they are coming from ledges on the sides of the downward hallways it really wouldn't bother them too much as the cloud rolls along the ground safely away from them at a higher vantage point.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Am I the only one who thought of something like this?:

This is my 10ft pole. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pole is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my pole is useless. Without my pole, I am useless. I must spring the traps with my pole. I must use it more dilligently than my enemy uses his trap, for he is trying to kill me. I must trip the trap with my pole before I am caught in it. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my pole and myself are protectors of my party, we are the masters of my enemy's traps, we are teh saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy traps, but peace. Amen.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):