New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default (3.5) Invisibility and Undead?

Does Invisibility work against Undead? I remember reading about it but I can't seem to find it now.

Best of luck
    -Eddie

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Default Re: (3.5) Invisibility and Undead?

I'm not sure off-hand, but either way, there's always this little gem of a spell to solve your problem: Hide From Undead. It's a first level cleric spell, affects 1 creature/level for 10 minutes/level. Works quite well.
    "Experience is a good thing. You should hit it." - Lathandar to his Paladin, in response to her prayers for advice on what to do about a Holy Liberator

"Strahd turns into mist." - DM
    "And I turn into a hepa filter." - Lumieras

Quote of the Week:
    "If you go down south, you'll hear of Arthur Bartholomew Bartholomew, a man who changed a town." - Foster
    "Into dust?" - Owen

Characters: Kalinda Gray, Lawful Good Thief

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

It works against them unless they have blindsight or lifesight. Almost no undead have those, so yes, it does.

Hide from Undead works well too.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, in all my years DMing, I've never used hide from undead or had used it on me. I'd completely forgotten its existence. I've even run zompocalypse campaigns & never even saw it. Weird.

Well, now that I have seen it. I don't like it. It's too low-level, & (like a paladin's fearlessness) it takes the punch out of a creepy atmosphere. What does WotC have against a little ambiance?

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Wow, in all my years DMing, I've never used hide from undead or had used it on me. I'd completely forgotten its existence. I've even run zompocalypse campaigns & never even saw it. Weird.

Well, now that I have seen it. I don't like it. It's too low-level, & (like a paladin's fearlessness) it takes the punch out of a creepy atmosphere. What does WotC have against a little ambiance?
    Welcome to Core 3.5, the most broken splatbook in history. The only book that comes close to this kind of cheese is Serpent Kingdoms, but enabling Pun-Pun only gets you so far...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Originally Posted by Zeta Kai

If you are describing the right scene and use some clever imagery than even a "fearless" Paladin can get the shivers... just because the Player's character is fearless doesn't mean the Player won't hesitate to send him running into the empty room from whence he hears the screams of all those he has defeated before or maybe his childhood friends and companions are all looking at him from within a mirror and yet behind him nothing. Remember, the idea is not for your chracters to "be afraid" all the time. The idea is for them to have fun.
    Last edited by AzazelSephiroth; 2009-05-27 at 09:36 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post

D&D is not a horror game by default but a exploratory dungeon-crawling game?

It doesn't seem hard to simply ban the spell.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Things can be scary when you're invisible. They probably already are, for you to be concealing yourself in the first place. Having to make your way invisibly through a bunch of dangerous monsters is probably one of the most unnerving ways to have to hide form them.

Tip-toeing carefully by hideous, putrid creatures, seeing their lifeless eyes, hearing their soulless groans up close...

That lacks creepy ambiance?
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.