New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Demilich or Worm that walks?

I'm about to end the APL 108 game, with a final duel against the Necromancer and the Evoker who has been manipulating the party from the beginning. So which of these spellcaster oriented epic level templates would be better? The Necromancer's barred schools are Evocation and Enchantment, the Evoker's Barred Schools are Conjuration and Illusion. I want to avoid going for both at once, as I'm trying to decide whether they should be servants of Vecna or Kyuss.
    "No extra charge!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Demilich or Worm that walks?

I'd go with Worm That Walks. I mean, demiliches are cool, I guess, but how often do you ever get a chance to use a Worm That Walks?
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

3. - Top - End - #3

I would go for demilich, because its really hard to actually kill the worm that walks due to its disincorporate ability. I dont know the power level of your game, but if the WtW were ever losing, it ought to do something like this.

WtW: Disincorporate. Contingent planeshift triggers, sending all the worms to a huge area on some nonlethal plane.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

I'd go with worm that walks. It has awesome abilities and ,really, how pimp is a WTW?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Why not one of each? The Lich necromancer makes the evoker into a worm that walks (since you need a friend apparently, usually something or otherly) and then makes himself into a demilich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by quick_comment View Post
    I would go for demilich, because its really hard to actually kill the worm that walks due to its disincorporate ability. I dont know the power level of your game, but if the WtW were ever losing, it ought to do something like this.

WtW: Disincorporate. Contingent planeshift triggers, sending all the worms to a huge area on some nonlethal plane.
    Demilich is a whole lot more durable, immunity to Supernatural effects, Undead Immunities, huge AC, DR, SLAs, high/perfect flight, NINE FRICKIN PHYLACTERIES!
    Last edited by mostlyharmful; 2009-06-06 at 05:19 AM.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Worm that Walks, because tracking down a demilich's phylactery and soul gems should be a campaign in itself. Finding them all together right after fighting the lich is so unbelievable it's just idiot plot.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

No demilich. They are freaking impossible to kill. I had to use Gate/ Djinni wish cheese to do it in my last epic campaign, and my DM was so tired of this plot that he was OK with it. A WTW and one very high level normal lich would do the trick. Both of those are pretty pimpin', and a team of the two would be very cool. To fit the Big Pimpin' theme, in fact, the fight should take place underground, and the two undead wizards should reign over some kingdom or another. Oh, they also need to be named Bun B and Pimp C. At least a Worm that Walks is immune to sleep apnea.
    I am now disgusted with myself.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Why choose? The Chaositech book contains a template which is the chaos-infused combination of 2 corporeal creatures.

So make 2 evil spellcasters who got themselves fused together in a horrid arcane explosion.

Then go wild.
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmful View Post
    Demilich is a whole lot more durable, immunity to Supernatural effects, Undead Immunities, huge AC, DR, SLAs, high/perfect flight, NINE FRICKIN PHYLACTERIES!
    But with any luck, your wizard mentor has already tracked down a few of those before dying, leaving you, the intrepid young hero, to track down the remainder, one of which is actually in your own body.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    But with any luck, your wizard mentor has already tracked down a few of those before dying, leaving you, the intrepid young hero, to track down the remainder, one of which is actually in your own body.
    "Yeah. Thanks for hunting all those down."
    "No problem, I mean, dying for a minute and coming back was a neat trick, huh?"
    "Oh, I guess. Too bad it didn't work out."
    "What?"
    "Yeah, the demi-lich's soul stayed in you. Too bad. Mind standing still for me?"
    Aer's 3.5 Workshop
    Currently featuring : Magebane Aspirant!
    GiTP Game designers, here!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It seems to me that the Worm That Walks seems to lose its necromantic flavor, instead focusing almost exclusively on vermin.

The Demi-lich, however, sounds perfect for the necromancer. If you want to bypass the phylactery problem, install them in adamantine golems (or even advanced stone golems) and throw them into the final battle as well to make it more epic.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Realms of Chaos View Post
    It seems to me that the Worm That Walks seems to lose its necromantic flavor, instead focusing almost exclusively on vermin.
    How's that? It seems like very archetypal necromancy - you transfer yourself into maggots.

Quote Originally Posted by Realms of Chaos View Post
    The Demi-lich, however, sounds perfect for the necromancer. If you want to bypass the phylactery problem, install them in adamantine golems (or even advanced stone golems) and throw them into the final battle as well to make it more epic.
    The lich would have to be pretty idiotic to intentionally risk objects that are, by definition, supposed to be hidden and protected so they never come to harm.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, doesn't the demilich need his soul gems with him to use his soul-eating power? Maybe you could have the finale take place as it's finishing up some epic ritual that requires a ton of soul power, so he's got all his gems filled and present to fuel the magic.

That being said, you should still use the Worm That Walks, because it is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.