New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
    Default PrC: Crusader (comments please)

Crusader

While most churches tend to avoid conflict with other religions, there are some cases where the followers of a religion become so harmful (Erythnull) or religious hatred runs so deep (Heironius + Hextor), that there are times when a lawful church may actually declare war on a religion. At the forefront of these wars are the Crusaders, a cadre of loyal warriors to the church consecrated to specifically do battle with the followers of an opposing faith. The most common crusaders are fighters, but rangers may act as their scouts, and in lawful good religions, Paladins are choice candidates due to their deep immersion in the faith.

Crusaders act as the shock troops of theological warfare, existing primarly for the purpose of destroying any clerics of an opposing faith that have made themselves too much a nuisance, while inspiring shock and fear in the opposition. battles between Crusaders of opposing faiths tend to be bloody and brief.

Requirements:
    Alignment: Any lawful
    BaB: +7
    Skills:
    Ride: 7 ranks
    Knowledge (religion) 3 ranks
    Intimidate: 7 ranks

Class abilities: Proficiency with all simple and martial weapons.

Special: One must be ordained a Crusader at a special ceremony lasting for two days at a temple of the appropriate religion.

Class features:
    Hit die: d10
    BaB: as fighter
    Good saves: Fortitude.
    Weapon proficiencies: The Crusader is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light, medium, and heavy armor, as well as shields.

Class skills: The Crusader's class skills are: Ride(Dex) Intimidate(Cha) Climb(Str) Knowledge: Religion(int) jump(Str), Swim(Str) Craft(Int) Handle Animal(Cha).

Crusaders recieve 2+Int modifier skill points per level.

Class Features: The Crusader is a five-level class.

Multiclassing: Paladins may resume taking Paladin levels after taking Crusader levels.

Enemy of the faith(Su): Upon being ordained, at 1st level, the Crusader gains a +2 divine bonus on bluff, listen, sense motive, spot, and survival checks against followers of a specific religion. This bonus increases to +4 at 5th level. A Crusader may switch the religion he gets this bonus against in a ceremony of a similar length to the one that ordained him. The Crusader cannot switch the opposing faith for three months after consecration.

Iron Will: the Crusader gets this as a bonus feat at 2nd level.

One-track mind(Ex): At third level, the Crusader gets a +4 bonus on Will saves against mind-affecting abilities that would cause him to stop attempting harmful actions against the faith he was consecrated to oppose.

Theological recgonition: At fourth level, The Crusader may substitute a Knowledge (Religion) check for a Spot check when impersonation of religious figures is attempted through Disguise. The opponent is also robbed of any synergy bonus with Bluff.

This is probably the second prestige class I've made so far, so comments are appreciated. A character example will be provided, if requested.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: PrC: Crusader (comments please)

weapon/armor proficiency normally don't belong in a prc, especially since most who would take this prc would already have it
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Yeah, Prestige Classes normally add proficiencies to those acquired by base classes. If you want, you could add Martial Proficiencies with your PrC.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I finally remembered this account after two years. If I begin to get nostalgic, just snap me out of it. Don't worry, I don't expect you to remember me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Nice job. Very flavorfull.

Just one nitpick: Not that I'm good at evaluating game balance, but it seems a bit underpowered. It doesn't seem melee enough.
    Maybe You can add some of the following:

Smite infidel : You add you Cha and/or Crusader LvL to your attack and damage for 1 round, 1round/Crusader LvL, 1 round/cha mod (at least 1), 3 rounds + cha.

Or you could add the enemy of the faith bonus to melee attacks.

Mount: You gain a mount as a paladin does. This Stacks with the paladins Mount ability. The mount is adapted to you goal. (Camels for deserts, large wolves for arctic enviroments, ...) DM's call.

If this becomes overpowerd, take away iron will and make it a preq.

Keep up the good work.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

While I like the idea of making new prestige classes, isn't this basically what a paladin already is? A holy warrior of the faith?
    The Historian: This DM has the history of his world written out millenniums back. It is intricate, complex, and most importantly, incredibly long. Moreover, everything your characters are doing is based on the previous history. It also tends to lead to loudmouth NPCS who will explain hundreds of years of history at a time while the players try to gouge their eardrums out with mechanical pencils.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

In the 2ed FR Deities book (Faiths and Avatars) there was a Crusader class/ which was a Cleric Varient. A Little fighter (iirc fighter hd, attack with cleric spells, saves, no ability to turn undead or rebuke them)
    Arma virumque cano,

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm not sure about the alignment restriction.

Wouldn't Chaotic or Neutral churches have Holy Warriors too?
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not a church thing, it's an ideal thing.
    It's not like the Spanish Inquisition could always claim to be good.

I personally think this prc class is kinda dry. There is so much potential to be made, wringing out all the juice from past or present real-world crusades and seeing that.
    It's fine balance wise, but flavor and story potential, especially that it can be so much more full, is lacking.
    sign by egobuttz

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting Prestige Class. Like amotis, I think you could make more of the Class Features, as only the flavour would be likley to attract me to this class, but it sounds like fun to roleplay.

Note:

On the subject of flavour, be wary about invoking 'Crusader' as a general term for Holy Warrior. Whilst the popular understanding of the word is vague enough that it seems appropriate, it is in fact a very specific word related to Crusignatus or 'those signed with the cross'. The term Crusader is relatively recent itself, being coined in the eighteenth century, and has enjoyed a much greater currency in popular language than its original meaning. However, emotions run high on the subject. Sorry to be a bore, but it's something to watch out for...
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)