New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Abjurant Champion - Abjurant Armor

Does Abjurant Armor really effect anything other than Shield? I can't find any other abjuration spells that give an armor or shield bonus to AC.
    Thank you to Logalmier for the avatar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    dip a level of Dread Necromancer for Charnel Touch, then Grease yourself, and sneak attack yourself with the Touch.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Abjurant Champion - Abjurant Armor

Yea, thats dumb.

Book of Exalted Deeds has Luminous Armor and Greater Luminous Armor, which are Abjurations and would work.

Unfortunately, they are [Sanctified] spells and cause Str damage when you cast them...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Homebrew an Abjuration version of Greater Mage Armor. Tell your DM: "If it's balanced in Conjuration, the most overpowered school there is, it's definitely balanced in Abjuration, right?"

But I can't think of any more spells that fit, yeah. Maybe in Spell Compendium, but I don't have it nearby... Highly unlikely anyway, simple "Bonus to AC" spells are boring and thus rare to find outside the PH.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Having a previously non-existent extra +5 bonus to AC is balanced!" wouldn't exactly be a convincing statement in my book ;)

Yeah so the best spells would be LA series from BoED. Try to bypass that Str damage by binding Naberius (if AM)/having your cleric to cast Death Ward or Lesser Restoration etc etc.

You could also be a Jorasco halfling w/ mark of healing (ECS stuff I know) to just do it yourself. Hey, if you have a true dragonmark you can take another feat to gain immunity to daze too (Mark of Dauntless, Dragonmarked)! Unrestricted celerity anyone?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

As I recall, the strength damage doesn't happen until the spell ends.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Just say "the examples include Mage Armor, it's fair to give it to Abjuration as it's already been accounted for". Besides, Greater Luminous Armor has higher bonuses anyways; it actually has Wis-drain IIRC; Lesser Restoration per day will do.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Given that Mage Armor was in the example, I believe it was an oversight on the writer's part.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly, there is little reason Mage armor shouldn't be in Abjuration anyway. Most DMs should be fine with transferring it over.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Since we're on the topic - quick question:

If I have the ability to cast in Medium Armor (and am wearing Mithral Full plate) - I still get Shield as a bonus to AC right, because it's a Shield bonus? It sounds right in my head, but somehow I'm just not completely sure. >.<

(I ask because my Battle Sorcerer is looking at Abjurant Champion as a PrC in a couple levels)
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

10. - Top - End - #10

Heck, mage armor SHOULD be in abjuration.

Its made of force; where the hell are you conjuring that from?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mistformsquirrl View Post
    Since we're on the topic - quick question:

If I have the ability to cast in Medium Armor (and am wearing Mithral Full plate) - I still get Shield as a bonus to AC right, because it's a Shield bonus? It sounds right in my head, but somehow I'm just not completely sure. >.<

(I ask because my Battle Sorcerer is looking at Abjurant Champion as a PrC in a couple levels)
    Shield does indeed grant a Shield bonus. So unless your wielding a Shield already, you get the bonus.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Whew, thanks <~_~>b just wanted to be sure so I didn't end up getting my special abilities crossed with feats I'd taken, rendering one or the other useless. <@,@>b
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Complete Mage has been errata'd; check the WotC website. The Mage Armour example has been removed from the statistics block.

Honestly, Abjurant Champion is more than strong enough already; it's the best gish PrC around. Adding yet another +5 AC on top of the +5 it has already would make it overpowered.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Complete Mage has been errata'd; check the WotC website. The Mage Armour example has been removed from the statistics block.

Honestly, Abjurant Champion is more than strong enough already; it's the best gish PrC around. Adding yet another +5 AC on top of the +5 it has already would make it overpowered.

- Saph
    Still, it poses the question of why the quintessential defensive spell isn't in the defensive school of magic. Mage Armor SHOULD be an Abjuration spell, with or without Abj. Champ. in the equation.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Still, it poses the question of why the quintessential defensive spell isn't in the defensive school of magic. Mage Armor SHOULD be an Abjuration spell, with or without Abj. Champ. in the equation.
    Oh, I agree, it makes no sense. Force effects are totally inconsistent; given that Shield (Abj), Mage Armour (Conj), and Wall of Force (Evo) all do more or less the same thing on different scales, how on earth can they be in three different schools?

But Abjurant Champion is plenty good enough without the boost. By level 10 or so an Abjurant Champion gish can get his AC to almost-unhittable levels even without an extra +5 on his Greater Mage Armour.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Should you utilize mysteries in your game, the Steel Shadows mystery is a first level abjuration mystery that grants both an armor and a shield bonus to Armor class.

Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Oh, I agree, it makes no sense. Force effects are totally inconsistent; given that Shield (Abj), Mage Armour (Conj), and Wall of Force (Evo) all do more or less the same thing on different scales, how on earth can they be in three different schools?

But Abjurant Champion is plenty good enough without the boost. By level 10 or so an Abjurant Champion gish can get his AC to almost-unhittable levels even without an extra +5 on his Greater Mage Armour.

- Saph
    True enough, but this isn't about the Abjurant Champion being really good (though it is). It's just that defensive/force effects are SOOO scatterbrained that it's impossible to tell who is meant to have what anymore. I'm glad I shifted most of the force spells to abjuration and called it a day.

Really, WotC, your design for 3.5 was... "meh", to be nice. I have stronger language, but it's not forum-friendly.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

18. - Top - End - #18

True enough, but this isn't about the Abjurant Champion being really good (though it is). It's just that defensive/force effects are SOOO scatterbrained that it's impossible to tell who is meant to have what anymore. I'm glad I shifted most of the force spells to abjuration and called it a day.

Really, WotC, your design for 3.5 was... "meh", to be nice. I have stronger language, but it's not forum-friendly.
    Rant regarding school arrangement in 3.5:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is really the reason I like the idea of combining Evocation and Abjuration (and uh, tossing those random Conjurations that somehow ended in Conjuration into this mix). Things might actually make sense then. Oh, and fixes up two relatively weak schools into a thing that's right up there.

Now, if there only were some way to combine Necromancy and Enchantment without stretching plausibility... But alas, I think the only way to make that happen is to break up one into other school (Illusion and Enchantment mostly combine just fine) and buff the other one (giving Necromancy all spells that work with positive or negative energy could work, and would be in line with what the school is supposed to do; Conjuration (Healing) what now ).

But honestly, the schools in 3.5 make no sense whatsoever. They work on many different levels; Abjuration hogs spells by their goal while most of the other schools take them by effect, Evocation mostly takes them by being involved with energy while Conjuration takes the ones that involve creating or calling (including creating and calling energy, go figure), Transmutation has everything that involves changing things except when they involve altering magic or changing energy and then mysteriously has the ability to change time and also some random cases where it involves dimension hopping [Blink much?], while Enchantment has stuff that alters peoples' minds unless it gathers information from the said mind in which case it's a Divination and...just ugh. A drunk 3-year old could do it more coherently...
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Just use the luminous armor spells. The best way to get around the Strength damage is with a Rod of Bodily Restoration (from the MIC) which only costs 3100 gp!
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Rant regarding school arrangement in 3.5:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is really the reason I like the idea of combining Evocation and Abjuration (and uh, tossing those random Conjurations that somehow ended in Conjuration into this mix). Things might actually make sense then. Oh, and fixes up two relatively weak schools into a thing that's right up there.

Now, if there only were some way to combine Necromancy and Enchantment without stretching plausibility... But alas, I think the only way to make that happen is to break up one into other school (Illusion and Enchantment mostly combine just fine) and buff the other one (giving Necromancy all spells that work with positive or negative energy could work, and would be in line with what the school is supposed to do; Conjuration (Healing) what now ).

But honestly, the schools in 3.5 make no sense whatsoever. They work on many different levels; Abjuration hogs spells by their goal while most of the other schools take them by effect, Evocation mostly takes them by being involved with energy while Conjuration takes the ones that involve creating or calling (including creating and calling energy, go figure), Transmutation has everything that involves changing things except when they involve altering magic or changing energy and then mysteriously has the ability to change time and also some random cases where it involves dimension hopping [Blink much?], while Enchantment has stuff that alters peoples' minds unless it gathers information from the said mind in which case it's a Divination and...just ugh. A drunk 3-year old could do it more coherently...
    Spoiler
    Show

Heh, I hear that, I really do. I tend to group the schools the following way, which makes sense thematically (to me anyways):
    Abjuration: defensive spells, forcefields, etc.
    Conjuration: dealing with matter (and ONLY matter), makes stuff, removes stuff, but does not deal with the energy types in anyway at all; if it is made of an energy type, it's evocation; if it's made of matter as we traditionally understand it, it's conjuration
    Divination: seeing spells, knowledge gathering, penetrating defenses
    Enchantment: mind control, things that directly affect the psyche of other beings
    Evocation: dealing with energy (and ONLY energy), either creating it or destroying it
    Illusion: deals with magical effects that alter the senses without altering the mind itself; enchantment screws with their head, illusion screws with their senses
    Necromancy: the magic of life and death; positive/negative energy are necromancy's domain
    Transmutation: deals with the alteration of creatures or objects that already exist; is unlike conjuration in that it doesn't MAKE things, it just CHANGES things.

It's not a perfect system, but it works out alright for me. Whadda ya think, Eldariel?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Heh, I hear that, I really do. I tend to group the schools the following way, which makes sense thematically (to me anyways):
    Conjuration: dealing with matter (and ONLY matter), makes stuff, removes stuff, but does not deal with the energy types in anyway at all; if it is made of an energy type, it's evocation; if it's made of matter as we traditionally understand it, it's conjuration
    Enchantment: mind control, things that directly affect the psyche of other beings
    Evocation: dealing with energy (and ONLY energy), either creating it or destroying it
    Illusion: deals with magical effects that alter the senses without altering the mind itself; enchantment screws with their head, illusion screws with their senses
    Necromancy: the magic of life and death; positive/negative energy are necromancy's domain
    Transmutation: deals with the alteration of creatures or objects that already exist; is unlike conjuration in that it doesn't MAKE things, it just CHANGES things.

It's not a perfect system, but it works out alright for me. Whadda ya think, Eldariel?
    In that system, do you classify cure spells as evocation?
    Spoiler
    Show
    dip a level of Dread Necromancer for Charnel Touch, then Grease yourself, and sneak attack yourself with the Touch.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

No, necromancy holds the singular exception to evocation's monopoly on energy. As you'll see I said under necromancy: "positive/negative energy is necromancy's domain".

Necromancy, being the magic of life and death makes sense to channel the energies of life and death. Evocation channels the elemental energies (fire, electricity, cold, acid, sonic, force, etc).

As I said, it's not a perfect system, but I think it makes faaar more sense than what we currently have.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

No, necromancy holds the singular exception to evocation's monopoly on energy. As you'll see I said under necromancy: "positive/negative energy is necromancy's domain".

Necromancy, being the magic of life and death makes sense to channel the energies of life and death. Evocation channels the elemental energies (fire, electricity, cold, acid, sonic, force, etc).

As I said, it's not a perfect system, but I think it makes faaar more sense than what we currently have.
    Well, that's what is awesome about this game. If you don't like something, change it.

When I was reading your descriptions, I kind of skipped over necromancy. >_>
    I always skip over that school for some reason, even though I think a necromancer would be incredibly fun to play from a role playing view.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by yilduz View Post
    Well, that's what is awesome about this game. If you don't like something, change it.

When I was reading your descriptions, I kind of skipped over necromancy. >_>
    I always skip over that school for some reason, even though I think a necromancer would be incredibly fun to play from a role playing view.
    Dude, I miss stuff all the time. 'salright. In any case, I do like 3.5 because of that reason alone: I can change things easily, and don't really have to worry about the power level consequences, since it can't really get much worse.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dude, I miss stuff all the time. 'salright. In any case, I do like 3.5 because of that reason alone: I can change things easily, and don't really have to worry about the power level consequences, since it can't really get much worse.
    It can. I've seen it.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I think you've mostly got it down, but Abjuration is still working off a completely different basis than other schools with "defensive spells" while others are categorized by what the spell deals with; if we want to be consistent, that doesn't work 'cause it leads to stuff like Wall of Stone or Stoneskin being easily rationalized to Abjuration. I think giving Abjuration Force effects entirely makes sense. Sure, that leads to Magic Missile being an Abjuration, but if that's the price one has to pay for consistency, so be it.

The only alternative I see to that is giving Evocation momentary bursts of energy and Abjuration longterm generation of energy (Prismatic effects are just a combination of energy types anyways, so otherwise they should all go to Evocation); that leaves Evocation mostly intact minus Wall of Force and few others, while giving Abjuration everything it's due and leaving offensive stuff out of it. Then just haul Teleportation-effects to Evocation (for balance's sake, and 'cause flavouring teleportation as a burst of energy opening a "wormhole" between the locations and moving the subjects through isn't really out there any more than "altering the matter" or "calling yourself away"; Transmutation and Conjuration respectively).

This should lead to a relatively solid system, and a relatively balanced one at that (although Enchantment would still suck and continues to do so as long as a blanket immunity in Mind Blank exists; hell, at least there should be a relevant amount of Enchantment-based buffs if nothing else). At least it isn't so swiss cheese that you can literally rationalize any spell in any school, and it looks slightly more solid than what that drunk 3-year old could come up with; this should probably already be about on the level of a sober 3-year old's work.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by yilduz View Post
    It can. I've seen it.
    Bah, we ignore the epic rules.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think you've mostly got it down, but Abjuration is still working off a completely different basis than other schools with "defensive spells" while others are categorized by what the spell deals with; if we want to be consistent, that doesn't work 'cause it leads to stuff like Wall of Stone or Stoneskin being easily rationalized to Abjuration. I think giving Abjuration Force effects entirely makes sense. Sure, that leads to Magic Missile being an Abjuration, but if that's the price one has to pay for consistency, so be it.

The only alternative I see to that is giving Evocation momentary bursts of energy and Abjuration longterm generation of energy (Prismatic effects are just a combination of energy types anyways, so otherwise they should all go to Evocation); that leaves Evocation mostly intact minus Wall of Force and few others, while giving Abjuration everything it's due and leaving offensive stuff out of it. Then just haul Teleportation-effects to Evocation (for balance's sake, and 'cause flavouring teleportation as a burst of energy opening a "wormhole" between the locations and moving the subjects through isn't really out there any more than "altering the matter" or "calling yourself away"; Transmutation and Conjuration respectively).

This should lead to a relatively solid system, and a relatively balanced one at that (although Enchantment would still suck and continues to do so as long as a blanket immunity in Mind Blank exists; hell, at least there should be a relevant amount of Enchantment-based buffs if nothing else). At least it isn't so swiss cheese that you can literally rationalize any spell in any school, and it looks slightly more solid than what that drunk 3-year old could come up with; this should probably already be about on the level of a sober 3-year old's work.
    Are you calling me a 3-year old sir? I must take offense!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, that's something I have thought about. I can see changing Abj to long-term generation and Evoc to short-term.

Teleportation is something I actually couldn't reconcile with any of the schools, and so I did something radical: moved it to Universal. It doesn't fit most other places, and where it DOES fit, it's tenuous at best. I was thinking about what to do with it, so I moved it to Universal, reasoning "it doesn't fit too well anywhere else, so let's put it there and say that teleportation is something every mage can learn".

28. - Top - End - #28

Y'know what? The OP has been answered and the thread opener is involved in the conversation. These spoilers merely serve to make it harder to read. Screw that.

Are you calling me a 3-year old sir? I must take offense!
    You and me both. See, you can't get mad at me when I'm being equalitarian (or close enough...or well nothing like it, but you get the point).

Yeah, that's something I have thought about. I can see changing Abj to long-term generation and Evoc to short-term.

Teleportation is something I actually couldn't reconcile with any of the schools, and so I did something radical: moved it to Universal. It doesn't fit most other places, and where it DOES fit, it's tenuous at best. I was thinking about what to do with it, so I moved it to Universal, reasoning "it doesn't fit too well anywhere else, so let's put it there and say that teleportation is something every mage can learn".
    Sorta makes sense. That really forces you to do same with Summoning and Calling too though 'cause they have about as much to do with creation of matter as bursts of energy have to do with probing peoples' minds. I think it's "cleaner" to just cram them into other schools or just make a new school for them (really, Teleportation, Summoning and Calling pretty much all belong to the same school unless we extend Conjuration to cover all meanings of the verb, which would make it mean "creating matter or calling/summoning creatures" which really makes no sense in the grand context of the things but works with the meaning of the word).

But bleh, I think Teleportation in Universal works fine - no sane man would want to prohibit the school that grants Teleportation anyways ever so this gets around that. Provided we give the basic Core evocations the facelift they deserve (like tac on Explosive Spell to Fireball, save vs. Daze to Lightning Bolt and some variety of Slow-effect to Cone of Cold; repeat for their improved iteratives), this should be pretty damn balanced too.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-06-19 at 09:51 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

If you have a way of gaining access to cleric spells, Shield of Faith is an abjuration with an AC bonus of some sort, so I think it should work. Might wanna check to make sure it's the right type of bonus though.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Y'know what? The OP has been answered and the thread opener is involved in the conversation. These spoilers merely serve to make it harder to read. Screw that.
    Thank GODS! It was getting aggravating.

You and me both. See, you can't get mad at me when I'm being equalitarian (or close enough...or well nothing like it, but you get the point).
    I hearby move that we establish the First National Empire of Three-Year Olds for D&D!

Sorta makes sense. That really forces you to do same with Summoning and Calling too though 'cause they have about as much to do with creation of matter as bursts of energy have to do with probing peoples' minds. I think it's "cleaner" to just cram them into other schools or just make a new school for them (really, Teleportation, Summoning and Calling pretty much all belong to the same school unless we extend Conjuration to cover all meanings of the verb, which would make it mean "creating matter or calling/summoning creatures" which really makes no sense in the grand context of the things but works with the meaning of the word).

But bleh, I think Teleportation in Universal works fine - no sane man would want to prohibit the school that grants Teleportation anyways ever so this gets around that. Provided we give the basic Core evocations the facelift they deserve (like tac on Explosive Spell to Fireball, save vs. Daze to Lightning Bolt and some variety of Slow-effect to Cone of Cold; repeat for their improved iteratives), this should be pretty damn balanced too.
    That's the idea. Teleportation is one of those effects every mage SHOULD get anyways, since it's a staple. Also, I've been thinking about tacking special effects onto Blasty McBlasterson spells, but haven't gotten around to it yet. What do you think, explosive effects on incendiaries, daze/stun on electric spells, slows for cold spells, blinding for acid spells, and... something for sonic?

That leaves spells like Scorching Ray out in the cold though, since adding explosive effects to a ray doesn't make much sense. And what do sonic and force spells get, if anything?