New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default (3.X DnD)The price of purchasing basic undead?

Assuming there was a place where necromancy was practiced enough that skeletons could be sold in such a way... What would be a good estimate for say a kobold, goblin, or human skeleton? It'd be 25 gp per HD for the black onyx material component...

Spoiler
    Show
    I think I found it here on page 149... but this DMG I have is 3.0 so I can't recall if they changed this bit for 3.5...

Cleric: 3rd level spell, 5th level minimum level in the spellcasting class: 3 * 10 * 5 = 30*5 = 150 gp +25*HD gp of black onyx = 175 base for a 1 HD skeleton

Wizard/Sorcerer: 4th level spell: so 4 * 10 * 7 = 10 * 28 = 280 gp + 25*HD for black onyx = 305 gp for a 1 HD skeleton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (3.X DnD)The price of purchasing basic undead?

If you want undead as a non-caster, look for the Night Caller. Its a whistle that lets you animate and control up to 2 zombies, with up to 10 HD per zombie. Animates zombies 1/week for 7000 GP.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Weird item, what book is it from?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to eat for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep." - Ben Franklen

Much praise to Ceika for the avatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Assuming there was a place where necromancy was practiced enough that skeletons could be sold in such a way... What would be a good estimate for say a kobold, goblin, or human skeleton? It'd be 25 gp per HD for the black onyx material component...

Spoiler
    Show
    I think I found it here on page 149... but this DMG I have is 3.0 so I can't recall if they changed this bit for 3.5...

Cleric: 3rd level spell, 5th level minimum level in the spellcasting class: 3 * 10 * 5 = 30*5 = 150 gp +25*HD gp of black onyx = 175 base for a 1 HD skeleton

Wizard/Sorcerer: 4th level spell: so 4 * 10 * 7 = 10 * 28 = 280 gp + 25*HD for black onyx = 305 gp for a 1 HD skeleton.
    It wasn't changed for 3.5, see here.
    Super-amazing avatar by Ceika!
    << It's a mound of rainbowflesh, do NOT forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by xNadia View Post
    See the rainbowflesh, EAT the rainbowflesh, BELIEVE THE RAINBOWFLESH!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post

Spoiler
    Show

There's a problem with this method. A caster has a limit to how many HD worth of undead they can control. On top of that, they are the one controlling them - they can't just cast animate dead and tell the undead to obey your orders.

There is the command undead spell, but it only lasts for a limited amount of time.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by holywhippet View Post
    There's a problem with this method. A caster has a limit to how many HD worth of undead they can control. On top of that, they are the one controlling them - they can't just cast animate dead and tell the undead to obey your orders.

There is the command undead spell, but it only lasts for a limited amount of time.
    I was thinking along the lines of using the command undead feature of rebuking, since it's indefinite unless something breaks the command over the undead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    Weird item, what book is it from?
    Libris Mortis.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit