New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [4e] Melee Training - How does it work?

Melee Training is, without a doubt, one of the best feats 4e has. But one thing about it has been bugging me about it ever since it came out. How exactly would a character fight using the different stats as his or her melee stat? Dexterity, it's pretty obvious. It's practically like Weapon Finesse in 3.5. Constitution, I'm not too sure about. I think it'd mean overwhelming strikes, but that seems like it'd be Strength's territory. I have no idea how the three mental stats would work in this regard, especially Charisma for all those Chaladins out there.

How do you define how Melee Training interacts with the different non-Strength stats? How do you have a mental stat power a phyiscal attack? I don't know how to justify it roleplay-wise.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: [4e] Melee Training - How does it work?

I think the best interpretation of Constitution is that you're pushing yourself beyond normal bounds. Most people would hurt themselves putting as much as you do into a swing (pulled muscle, hernia, etc.); you just shrug it off. It's just one of those things that doesn't make sense in 4th edition. (Don't get me wrong, I love 4e, but there is some weirdness in it.)

Mental stats are easier; Intelligence is spotting and exploiting brief openings, Wisdom is predicting the target's movement, getting inside their head, etc., and Charisma is using body language, distraction and feints to create openings.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    How do you define how Melee Training interacts with the different non-Strength stats? How do you have a mental stat power a phyiscal attack? I don't know how to justify it roleplay-wise.
    Well, for instance, 3.5 Swashbucklers use Intelligence for damage, flavoring it as a "I don't just swing willy-nilly, I know exactly how to get under your guard and hit you right where it hurts and know exactly how to time it perfectly because I'm just that smart."

There's that feat Intuitive Strike from 3.0/3.5 Book of Exalted Deeds that's an "I'm so in tune with the flow of battle, and so comfortable and natural with combat situations, that my insight simply shows me when and where to hit you."

And Charisma? Feint. 3.5 feint uses Charisma to make it easier to hurt people. "I tricked you into putting up your defenses that way, but in reality I was coming from the other side and now you're screwed." Works for Charisma to AC as well, for the CHA rogue flavor.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Strength: You fight with brute force (which, obviously, includes speed, since kinetic energy is about speed...).
    Dexterity: You fight with finesse, accuracy, and nimbleness.
    Constitution: You use your superior endurance to outlast and outperform your opponent, pushing yourself harder and taking risks others can't, shrugging off the effects.
    Intelligence: You use clever moves and positioning, outwitting and outmaneuvering your opponent.
    Wisdom: You let your instincts take over, moving, striking, and parrying without any thought. (Cf. mushin in martial arts.)

For Charisma, I can actually think of at least two options...
    1. You use your superior confidence and flashy techniques to unnerve your enemy and bolster yourself.
    2. You make use of your superior awareness of self, shutting out external distractions and moving in perfect unity of body and thought.

Wisdom and Intelligence are definitely the easiest - real fighters already do that stuff (at least in theory, in the case of Wisdom and zen martial arts).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

The feat is called "Melee Training," right? So basically you've trained yourself to be able to engage in melee combat. You might not necessarily be able to pull off amazing stunts in melee like a martial character, but you can at least swing a weapon in a semi-competent manner.

While that doesn't reconcile using any ability score with the attack, it does explain how you've managed to become somewhat skilled with your melee basic attack in a roundabout manner.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Constitution could be something so risky that it leaves you vulnerable for a moment, or leaving yourself open and cutting at the enemy when he tries to take advantage of it. You'd go "it's just a flesh wound" almost every round, or perhaps the enemy's blade would cut at your clothes without touching your skin, or miss "by a hair's breadth" - you could only fight like this if you were ready to actually take a blow any time.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

You could just take an "it's magic" approach. Basically, you use Melee Training to base your basic attacks on your primary stat. Since your primary stat is what you use to do your usual attacks, you could just interpret it as translating how you do your usual attacks to melee.

A warlock takes melee training is him using his magic to improve his accuracy with a blade. Same with a bard, sorcerer, or wizard. A paladin, cleric, avenger, or invoker taking melee training is using his faith to guide his attacks.

It's just using whatever explanation you normally use for their powers (magic, faith, spirits, or physique), and applying it to melee basic attacks.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

For constitution a way of fighting at fast pace because you tire slowly, combined with just accepting small wounds when fighting work. For instance, a scene in Moribito involves a weapon failure at a terrible time, a brief distraction, and another character going in with a slash. So the first character goes in, takes the slash, taking an injury with it, and ignores the injury for long enough to hit full force at the head with a staff. Constitution based fighting would be that sort of stuff. Although this usually shows up with the mental stats, which are easier to use anyways, combat has a very mental element, particularly melee combat.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Cha - Your Force of personality really packs a punch
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Cha - Your Force of personality really packs a punch
    Alternatively, you cow the enemy into a weak stance by simply displaying how awesome you really are.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

The easiest interpretation is that you are now a serious expert at melee combat.

How much of an expert? About +3+Character Level. Hey wait a second, that happens to be what your primary attack stat happens to be!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Kurald will soon come and explain how you're not, in fact, using Constitution to power your melee attacks, you're using your Ability Score #3 to add to your Attack Type 1 rolls.

He will then explain how statements by the designers of 4th Edition supports this claim; that the names for ability scores really mean nothing.

And then someone like me will come and explain how D&D is weird and bad and you should go play Unisystem.

Then there may be an edition / system fight.

Let's cut to the chase: you're reading more than the designers intended into the names and descriptions.The in-game description for any form of Melee Training is whatever you want it to be.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Kurald will soon come and explain how you're not, in fact, using Constitution to power your melee attacks, you're using your Ability Score #3 to add to your Attack Type 1 rolls.
    Heh. Actually, I wanted to point out that melee training really isn't all that great a feat, and certainly not "one of the best feats 4e has". It's pretty useless to the vast majority of classes, who either (1) already have strength as a primary attribute, or (2) don't have the need to bother with basic attacks, ever.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post

He will then explain how statements by the designers of 4th Edition supports this claim; that the names for ability scores really mean nothing.

And then someone like me will come and explain how D&D is weird and bad and you should go play Unisystem.

Then there may be an edition / system fight.

Let's cut to the chase: you're reading more than the designers intended into the names and descriptions.The in-game description for any form of Melee Training is whatever you want it to be.
    But Constitution still adds to hit points. So no, that argument? Doesn't really work as well as you seem to think it does.

Constitution is health and endurance. Charisma is personality - it adds to social skills.

Just because the system is designed so none of the abilities is the weakest anymore (hello, 2e Charisma) doesn't mean none of the abilities mean anything at all anymore.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Heh. Actually, I wanted to point out that melee training really isn't all that great a feat, and certainly not "one of the best feats 4e has". It's pretty useless to the vast majority of classes, who either (1) already have strength as a primary attribute, or (2) don't have the need to bother with basic attacks, ever.
    I'd say that all frontliners who don't use strength as a primary attribute should consider this feat - especially charisma-based paladins and swordmages. Otherwise your opportunity attacks and charges suck, and you can't take full advantage of the many powers that grant you extra basic attacks.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

Doesn't the feat say that it's only for *basic* attacks? Aka, you can't change the stat for your attack powers, only for basic attacks?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Yes.

What's your point?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, it's only basic attacks. Did anyone here claim it's for other powers as well?

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Just because the system is designed so none of the abilities is the weakest anymore (hello, 2e Charisma) doesn't mean none of the abilities mean anything at all anymore.
    I actually like the system of D&D 4th Edition (not as a roleplaying game, maybe, but certainly as a game). And it's not my argument (it can't be my argument, I only had a brief look at the books), it's the designers'.

Leave it to WotC to not realize how their system works, I guess?
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    I'd say that all frontliners who don't use strength as a primary attribute should consider this feat
    Sure. But there's a fair amount of difference beteen saying that all characters that (1) are frontlines and (2) don't have a strength primary should (3) consider this feat, and claiming it's one of the best feats in the game hands down.

It's certainly not a bad option, but on the other hand opportunity attacks are rather rare in the game (unless there is a fighter present), charging is surprisingly unnecessary for any character with ranged capability (such as, oh say, pretty much all chaladins and swordmages) and there aren't all that "many powers that grant you extra basic attacks" unless there's a warlord around. I'm not saying it's a bad feat; I am saying that it's overrated by the OP.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say that all frontliners who don't use strength as a primary attribute should consider this feat - especially charisma-based paladins and swordmages. Otherwise your opportunity attacks and charges suck, and you can't take full advantage of the many powers that grant you extra basic attacks.
    Except for all those powers that COUNT as basic attacks, or can be used on a charge. :)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Are there any powers that can be used as melee basic attacks?

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Related.

Don't think about 4e. Just play. It doesn't make sense and wasn't meant to.
    Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2009-06-28 at 12:33 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Eh, it's kinda like using physical strength to solve a crossword puzzle, or so I thought.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DSCrankshaw View Post
    You could just take an "it's magic" approach. Basically, you use Melee Training to base your basic attacks on your primary stat. Since your primary stat is what you use to do your usual attacks, you could just interpret it as translating how you do your usual attacks to melee.

A warlock takes melee training is him using his magic to improve his accuracy with a blade. Same with a bard, sorcerer, or wizard. A paladin, cleric, avenger, or invoker taking melee training is using his faith to guide his attacks.

It's just using whatever explanation you normally use for their powers (magic, faith, spirits, or physique), and applying it to melee basic attacks.
    Yeah, I like that approach.

For charisma-based paladins, I always assumed it worked like this. Your body may be weak, but your swing with the might of faith, not strength of swordarm.
    Decoy Lockbox, you win the internet metal award. You are a metal god.
    My Guide to Metal

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    Related.

Don't think about 4e. Just play. It doesn't make sense and wasn't meant to.
    You mean This one

27. - Top - End - #27

PirateGuy

Are there any powers that can be used as melee basic attacks?
    According to the Compendium, 9 At-Will.

Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
    Howling Strike	        Barbarian	Players Handbook 2
    Grasping Claws	        Druid	       	Players Handbook 2
    Pounce	                Druid	       	Players Handbook 2
    Savage Rend	        Druid	       	Players Handbook 2
    Knockdown Assault	Fighter       	 PH Heroes: Series 1
    Eldritch Strike	        Warlock	         PH Heroes: Series 1
    Brash Assault	        Warlord      	Martial Power
    Opening Shove	        Warlord      	Martial Power
    Commanders Strike	Warlord      	Players Handbook

EDIT: scratch the Warlord ones, I forgot to check where "melee basic attack" ended up in the power. Those refer to others' attacks.
    Last edited by The New Bruceski; 2009-06-28 at 02:42 PM.
    Now with half the calories!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    According to the Compendium, 9 At-Will.

Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
    Howling Strike	        Barbarian	Players Handbook 2
    Grasping Claws	        Druid	       	Players Handbook 2
    Pounce	                Druid	       	Players Handbook 2
    Savage Rend	        Druid	       	Players Handbook 2
    Knockdown Assault	Fighter       	 PH Heroes: Series 1
    Eldritch Strike	        Warlock	         PH Heroes: Series 1
    Brash Assault	        Warlord      	Martial Power
    Opening Shove	        Warlord      	Martial Power
    Commanders Strike	Warlord      	Players Handbook

EDIT: scratch the Warlord ones, I forgot to check where "melee basic attack" ended up in the power. Those refer to others' attacks.
    Do any of the non-druid, non-warlock ones work when you're not charging?

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

using cha/int ? Dashing swordsman of course :3

30. - Top - End - #30

MindFlayer

This is very easy to explain. You're trained. You know how to fight in melee.

If you've ever done any real fighting, you learn to capitalize on your strengths - that's all this feat does. You use what you're best at instead of your strength.

Makes perfect sense, and 3.5 is the illogical one for LACKING this option.