New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Cheating players

Hey, one player in my local group has decided to take spell focus on his divine spells aswell. But how should i tell him that he cant do that?

I'm not the DM

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cheating players

Quote Originally Posted by DJDizzy View Post
    Hey, one player in my local group has decided to take spell focus on his divine spells aswell. But how should i tell him that he cant do that?

I'm not the DM
    That's... not actually cheating?
    You can use spell focus with any spells, as long as they fall into the school of magic you selected.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

??

What exactly has he done?
    Is he an Arcane/Divine multiclass caster with the Spell Focus feat?

If so the feat applies to both classes.
    I am fairly sure that Spell focus is allowed for divine casters.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spell Focus is for a specific school. You wouldn't take Spell Focus (Cleric), but you could take Spell Focus (Conjuration) and have it apply to your Clerical conjuration spells. (for whatever point that serves)

[Edit] +1 DC isn't the same as +1 Caster Level, or even +1 Spell Level. I can't think of many Cleric spells that would benefit, besides stuff like Flame Strike.
    Last edited by erikun; 2009-07-09 at 10:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

He has taken spell focus divine, so according to him, it applies to all his divine spells

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

That is bollox.

Spell Focus () must apply to a school of magic. It cannot apply to a sub-school (normally) and it cannot apply to a magic type (arcane/divnine).

Tell him to pick a school else the feat does nothing at all.
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2009-07-09 at 10:27 PM.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, it's easy, just read him the description of spell focus, point out that it's "schools" and divine is not a school of magic, and if he persists bring out a picture of Morbo and tell him "SPELL FOCUS DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY"~
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just sent him a message and it seems the DM has given in. I shouldnt really complain because i got a familiar that gave me 2+ charisma and can cast the same spells as i can so i shouldnt really complain

I think i will be given the usual speech that i put too much emphasis on the rules bla bla bla at our gaming session tonight though

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Oh, it's easy, just read him the description of spell focus, point out that it's "schools" and divine is not a school of magic, and if he persists bring out a picture of Morbo and tell him "SPELL FOCUS DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY"~
    Oh i have tried that with a variety of different things, but my DM does not understand it. And i am afraid that if i push things to hard, I will get kicked out of the group.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I just sent him a message and it seems the DM has given in. I shouldnt really complain because i got a familiar that gave me 2+ charisma and can cast the same spells as i can so i shouldnt really complain
    Erm... yea, you shouldn't complain. +1DC to a fraction of useful cleric spells is nothing compared to this.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh i have tried that with a variety of different things, but my DM does not understand it. And i am afraid that if i push things to hard, I will get kicked out of the group.
    Whether or not you're in the right here, that's pretty ridiculous. A DM's job is to make the game enjoyable for all players. If you can't question him without getting kicked from the group, it might be worthwhile to look for another group to play with.

Although with regards to the DM bending the rules for this player, it sounds like he bent them even more for you. I wouldn't cause rule disputes if you've benefited from even bigger rule "changes".

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have no problems when the DM changes it, but when a player takes a feat without the knowledge of the DM and then persuades him that is how its supposed to work, it ticks me off. Might just be me and the fact that i am autistic.
    Last edited by DJDizzy; 2009-07-09 at 11:05 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

One-up him by taking Ability Focus (in the Monster Manual) for your 'spellcasting' special attack.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heh, he only allows core though, which somewhat limits me as a sorcerer

15. - Top - End - #15

Heh, he only allows core though, which somewhat limits me as a sorcerer
    The monster manual IS core.

Edit: Core= PHB, DMG, MMI.
    Last edited by quick_comment; 2009-07-09 at 11:21 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Your DM seems prone to giving players whatever they want, based on this and your ridicufamiliar. If you still like playing with this group, I suggest just sitting back and enjoying the Monty Haul.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

I didnt really want my familiar that powerfull, I only wanted a psedudragon with no real combat capabilites for RP purposes, but i cant really give it back, for fear of disrupting roleplaying.

And there arent any other groups that i know off in my area of living.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I think i will be given the usual speech that i put too much emphasis on the rules bla bla bla at our gaming session tonight though
    I would say go with it. We can only tell you what the rules say. It sounds like your group is more interested in "fun stuff" rather than applying the rules literally, so don't worry so much about it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Just out of curiosity did your DM allow him to take spell focus:arcane as well?

I'm guessing your DM is fairly new at it, hopefully he'll learn. If not the campaign is likely to fall apart fairly quickly when he gives the players too much power and he can no longer challenge them. I say if you can't convince him to tone it down just relax and roll with it, enjoy taking over the world while it lasts.
    DMs don't cheat, they just change the rules.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't" -Margaret Thatcher

"Celebacy is no match for a natural 20!" -RandomNPC

"If you're so goth, where were YOU when we sacked Rome?" -Swordguy

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

I tend to let my players become overpowered by giving them what they want....or what I know they'll like....too. Once, I let my friend playing a rogue find a pair of +10 daggers to wield.

You know my solution when they become too strong? Just upping the CR of the monsters. ;p
    Drow Samurai avatar by Ranger Mattos!

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Talon Sky View Post
    You know my solution when they become too strong? Just upping the CR of the monsters. ;p
    Give them XP penalties or they level up too fast - basically they should earn XP as if the monsters are a lower CR than they actually are, because they're fighting them with too good equipment.

22. - Top - End - #22

Could you take Weapon Focus (Martial Weapons)?
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Heh... and here I was expecting some kind of discussion of weighted polyhedrons...

...or of someone trying to learn to nat 20 on command. ...and having a reasonable success rate such that it couldn't be dismissed as insignificant.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-07-10 at 06:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

24. - Top - End - #24
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Heh... and here I was expecting some kind of discussion of weighted polyhedrons...

...or of someone trying to learn to nat 20 on command. ...and having a reasonable success rate such that it couldn't be dismissed as insignificant.
    That's what I was thinking, something to do with dice rolling. However, if someone manages to command a nat 20, we may just have to resort to electronic dice. I don't think the game would be very balanced when everything rolls an automatic hit.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

25. - Top - End - #25

I've also played with some cheating people. Over time I learned to just let it go because any attempt to make them stop was met with outright hostility or DM's complacement, and eventually the cheating player's outbursts caused the game to crash. Sad, but if I had brought up the issues loudly, it would have happened even faster.
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Y'know... I'm willing to guess that the player in question actually took Spell Focus (Divination) and doesn't understand the difference between Divine and Divination.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

27. - Top - End - #27

As a sorcerer with a +2 bonus to Charisma, you are gaining the +1 to the DCs of your spells, as if you took spell focus (arcane). Your DM might actually be balancing things- I know i've let stranger things fly in my games.
    Look! It's me!
    The Fey Archer (made for my fiance, many years ago.)
    Savannah gets the awesome credit for my John Locke avatar.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post
    Y'know... I'm willing to guess that the player in question actually took Spell Focus (Divination) and doesn't understand the difference between Divine and Divination.
    My bet is that they looked at the Cleric spell list (not the actual cleric spells) and saw that it wasn't divided up by schools like the Wizard/Sorcerer list was.
    It caused some confusion for me too, at first.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2009-07-10 at 01:38 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    I would say go with it. We can only tell you what the rules say. It sounds like your group is more interested in "fun stuff" rather than applying the rules literally, so don't worry so much about it.
    This.

You appear to have stumbled into a D&D campaign governed more strongly by Rule of Cool than by anything written in a book. Use this fact to do awesome things - as a Sorceror, I'd probably focus on inventing new spells to cast with that awesomeness factor.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, something I've been thinkin': I'm assuming this player has a loose grasp of the rules, and therefore will have a loose grasp on which spells are strongest. There will most likely be a lot of divine blasting and healing, neither of which have anything useful as far as save DCs.
    The good spells (save-or-suck/save-or-die) will probably get neglected.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...