New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default [3.5]Clone and Lich, do they stack.

In the core MM it doesn't say anything about souls. So assuming a Lich still has his soul could he cast clone incase both he and his phylactery were destroyed? Would he come back as a Lich or the Base Creature?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Default Re: [3.5]Clone and Lich, do they stack.

I think what's going to prevent it is this clause in Clone:

To create the duplicate, you must have a piece of flesh (not hair, nails, scales, or the like) with a volume of at least 1 cubic inch that was taken from the original creature’s living body. The piece of flesh need not be fresh, but it must be kept from rotting.
    Liches, as per the description, are undead and rotting, and thus unable to provide that material component.

Now. If you had someone cast Clone prior to becoming a lich, things become a bit more unclear, and the questions of does undead count as dead and what happens to a lich's soul become much more important.
    "Experience is a good thing. You should hit it." - Lathandar to his Paladin, in response to her prayers for advice on what to do about a Holy Liberator

"Strahd turns into mist." - DM
    "And I turn into a hepa filter." - Lumieras

Quote of the Week:
    "If you go down south, you'll hear of Arthur Bartholomew Bartholomew, a man who changed a town." - Foster
    "Into dust?" - Owen

Characters: Kalinda Gray, Lawful Good Thief

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmarenny View Post
    In the core MM it doesn't say anything about souls. So assuming a Lich still has his soul could he cast clone incase both he and his phylactery were destroyed? Would he come back as a Lich or the Base Creature?
    I would say no. The lich being undead can be considered to be have died (and is now undead) for the purposes of the clone spell and so the clone spell would fail. Similarly raise dead fails on undead. The metagaming reason is that cloning a lich is too good a trick even if you then have to worry about the age of the lich in order to whether the clone would work.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS Fan-fiction (An alternate OotS-verse starting after page 603. If you want to read it go here)

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterOfTheGod View Post
    The lich being undead can be considered to be have died (and is now undead) for the purposes of the clone spell and so the clone spell would fail.
    Actually, you don't need to worry about semantics, because the process of becoming a lich involves committing suicide--as soon as you tried to become a lich, you'd wake up in the clone first.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Actually, you don't need to worry about semantics, because the process of becoming a lich involves committing suicide--as soon as you tried to become a lich, you'd wake up in the clone first.
    Even better!
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS Fan-fiction (An alternate OotS-verse starting after page 603. If you want to read it go here)

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.