New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default New magical ability for a weapon

Quick background:

In Rokugan, there is a feat called Void Use. It grants a character 2 Void Points per day to spend to add +2 to one roll. Typicial example: someone would spend a Void Point to get a +2 to hit. Other feats increase the amount of Void Points a character has to spend and the Inkyo class has a class bonus to make the bonus gained through use of the Void Points higher (this is an important point later on).

Also, in Rokugan, the human bonus feat most always be either Void Use or an Ancestor Feat. Hence, Void Use is extremely common.

I introduced a magical weapon ability called Void striking. A character using one weapon with this ability would spend a Void Point and gain an additional +3 to the weapon's magical bonus for that round. Hence, a + 1 katana of Void striking becomes a +4 katana for one round. For a calculated market value (i.e., how much this would be worth), I put the bonus at +1 (on par with things like flaming or bane, which I believe it is).

If this magical bonus would go above +5, I simply changed each bonus point above five into 1d6 of extra (Void) damage. Thus, a +4 katana of Void striking would become a +5 katana that dealt +2d6 points of Void damage for 1 round.

If a character had a class ability that allowed for a greater Void bonus (i.e., each expenditure of a Void Point would result in a +3 bonus to the roll, or +4, or +5...), I would extend the number of rounds by one for each additional point (i.e., Void bonus - 1 = # of rounds).

My question is: what would it take for a spellcaster to create an item with the Void striking magical ability?
    1. Have fun. It's only a game.
    2. The GM has the final say. Everyone else is just a guest.
    3. The game is for the players. A proper host entertains one's guests.
    4. Everyone is allowed an opinion. Some games are not as cool as they seem.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: New magical ability for a weapon

if its only a +1 enhancment, then requirements would be low. Maybe greater magic weapon spell? Mabye just magic weapon would be okay.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

and the void use feat obviously..

4. - Top - End - #4

Sounds good.

What would be the caster level requirement?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

What are the prerequisites for the feat Void Use? If it is low prerequisites, Caster level 5 should do. If its a mid level feat, Caster level 10. I double its any higher than that.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Umael
    What would be the caster level requirement?
    Most items don't have an explicit caster level requirement. If you want to give your enhancement an explicit caster level requirement, then you can. But note that the only item in the DMG with this requirement (I think) is the Ioun Stones.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by adanedhel9
    Most items don't have an explicit caster level requirement. If you want to give your enhancement an explicit caster level requirement, then you can. But note that the only item in the DMG with this requirement (I think) is the Ioun Stones.
    Take another look. EVERY item has a caster level requirement.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas
    Take another look. EVERY item has a caster level requirement.
    Then why is the CLx seperated (by a semicolon) from the list of (comma-seperated) requirements?

And why do the Ioun Stones explicitly state, as part of the requirements, that the "creator must be 12th level"?

And why does Monte Cook, who has the first line on the DMG credit page, think otherwise?

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by idksocrates
    What are the prerequisites for the feat Void Use? If it is low prerequisites, Caster level 5 should do. If its a mid level feat, Caster level 10. I double its any higher than that.
    Void Use has no prerequisite (I mentioned something in my first post about this - the bonus feat humans get in Rokugan must go for Void Use or an Ancestor Feat).

Caster level 5 seems about right.