New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Wis/Str?

1. - Top - End - #1

Default Wis/Str?

Im looking for a race to synergize with an ardent/warblade. Primary attributes are strength and wisdom, secondary is con.

Human is of course a possibility for the free feat, but what else might be good?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Wis/Str?

No +0 LA race boosts both. Orc-line has Str- and Con-boosts, but Full Orcs have Wis-penalty. Anthropomorphic animals have insane Wis-boost (particularly bat), but are cheesy. Lesser Aasimar has Wis-boost and Neanderthals have Str. That's about it off the top of my head.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3

So human it is I guess.

Or synad, they seem neat.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

For a +1 LA races, Zenythri give a boost to both wisdom and strength, so it might be what you are looking for.

You might be interested by the Goliath or the Half-Giant, as both boost Str- and Con- and allows you to use larger weapons.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The extra mental swift action Synads get is usually better for Psychic Warriors than it is for Ardents. What're your mantles?

Kalashtar is great if you like power points, and Elan are just hard to kill.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

MonkGuy

Check some of the races in Unearthed Arcana. Most of them have LA +0. I remember one race called earth dwarf: +2 str, +2 con, -2 wis, -2 dex.

7. - Top - End - #7

Current build is Synad Psywar 6/Ectopic Adept 5/Warblade 3.

Feats include practiced manifester, EK(Astral construct), boost construct, psychic renewal and overchannel. The general plan is to manifest two astral constructs using the ectopic adept capstone and white raven tactics the hell out of them.

With synad multitasking I can use white raven tactics two turns in a row, once per day.

8. - Top - End - #8

Also, does anyone know of a way to get a skill focus feat for free?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by quick_comment View Post
    Also, does anyone know of a way to get a skill focus feat for free?
    Convince your GM to allow flaws.

A number of alternate classes or racial substitution levels in classes grant specific skill focuses. It would help to know what skill focus you're looking for.

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

10. - Top - End - #10

Skill Focus in Craft: Sculpting. Its one of the requirements for ectopic adept.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Im looking for a race to synergize with an ardent/warblade. Primary attributes are strength and wisdom, secondary is con.

Human is of course a possibility for the free feat, but what else might be good?
    Switch to Pathfinder and play a half-orc?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Feral is LA 1, but got all you're looking for. *cough*... and more.

No, really. Its got +4 str, -2 dex, +2 con, +2 wis, -4 int.
    How you don't get cha penality for being feral is beyond me though. (Rawr! I'm feral, baby! )
    Last edited by #Raptor; 2009-07-14 at 04:33 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

With synad multitasking I can use white raven tactics two turns in a row, once per day.
    Better read Synad again- the swift action that Multitasking grants has to be spent on a purely mental action. Any of Psywar's swift action powers will work, but maneuvers require you to be able to move in order to initiate them, so your handy second brain can't do that for you.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by #Raptor View Post
    Feral is LA 1, but got all you're looking for. *cough*... and more.

No, really. Its got +4 str, -2 dex, +2 con, +2 wis, -4 int.
    How you don't get cha penality for being feral is beyond me though. (Rawr! I'm feral, baby! )
    Chicks dig the bad boy. He's so wild, it's groovy.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    Better read Synad again- the swift action that Multitasking grants has to be spent on a purely mental action. Any of Psywar's swift action powers will work, but maneuvers require you to be able to move in order to initiate them, so your handy second brain can't do that for you.
    Oh, im not using WRT with the 2nd action, Im using pyschic recovery to recover it.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    No +0 LA race boosts both. Orc-line has Str- and Con-boosts, but Full Orcs have Wis-penalty. Anthropomorphic animals have insane Wis-boost (particularly bat), but are cheesy. Lesser Aasimar has Wis-boost and Neanderthals have Str. That's about it off the top of my head.
    Actually, from what I've seen, no core races of +0 LA raise Wisdom at all! I don't get that, personally.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

There is always a Buomman. They've got +2 wisdom, I think, and they are also fun to play because they can't speak ever, which is no obstacle to a psion.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    Actually, from what I've seen, no core races of +0 LA raise Wisdom at all! I don't get that, personally.
    It was a feeble attempt to balance spellcasting.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    It was a feeble attempt to balance spellcasting.
    But there are plenty of races that give +int or +cha, both of which are primary spellcasting stats as well

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

But there are plenty of races that give +int or +cha, both of which are primary spellcasting stats as well
    Not really. There are very few +cha races. Spellscales and Lesser Aasimar are the only ones I can think of, and Aasimar are +2 Cha, +2 Wis(while Spellscales deal with a Con penalty). After all, we can't let the Sorc become any more OP, and Clerics and Wizards need the boost.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

And Lesser Aasimar was never RAI, IMO. I don't recall any common +Int LA +0s, except maybe one of the elves? I'm sick and tired, don't make me check.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

22. - Top - End - #22

And Lesser Aasimar was never RAI, IMO.
    Are you referring to the one in PGtF? 'cause there's very little ambiguity there. That said, it's still not much stronger than average LA +0; they have their uses, but Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes (yuck) and company all have things going on for them too.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

And Lesser Aasimar was never RAI, IMO. I don't recall any common +Int LA +0s, except maybe one of the elves? I'm sick and tired, don't make me check.
    Gray and Star Elves, at least. I know there's about 6, I just can't remember all of them. And Gray Elves were core.

And how was Lesser Aasimar not RAI? They printed a statblock for something. Players using that statblock for characters wasn't RAI?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Gray and Star Elves, at least. I know there's about 6, I just can't remember all of them. And Gray Elves were core.
    Star Elves aren't +Int, they're +Cha. Gray Elves and Sun Elves (and Fire Elves) are +Int though. Other +Int races exist, such as Lesser Tiefling (PGtF) & Deep Imaskari (Underdark), but as you said, they aren't that common.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    And how was Lesser Aasimar not RAI? They printed a statblock for something. Players using that statblock for characters wasn't RAI?
    I think he means that it's intended for you to take the LA when you take your second level to become a full Aasimar, not to just stay a Lesser Aasimar forever.