New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default What spell is this? [3E]

Does anyone recall of a spell that lets you roll two d20s instead of one and pick the better one? Which book is it in?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: What spell is this? [3E]

There are few things that have similar effects - true strike gives you a +20 on the next attack roll. The luck domain lets you reroll any one dice roll once a day.

3. - Top - End - #3

Choose destiny in races of destiny. Its a 9th level destiny domain spell.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by quick_comment View Post
    Choose destiny in races of destiny. Its a 9th level destiny domain spell.
    That's the one, TYVM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Is that re-rolling a single d20, or re-roll any d20s you want for a set duration? If it's the first, then frankly it seems like it sucks as a 9th-level spell.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Is that re-rolling a single d20, or re-roll any d20s you want for a set duration? If it's the first, then frankly it seems like it sucks as a 9th-level spell.
    It lasts for 1 round/level.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like unluck better. Force your opponents to take the worst of two d20 rolls any time they make such rolls.

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irreverent Fool View Post
    I like unluck better. Force your opponents to take the worst of two d20 rolls any time they make such rolls.

obnoxious
    sig
    Except IIRC it has a will save. If they're already going to fail a save, why not use a spell that will affect them without any additional resources expended?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Except IIRC it has a will save. If they're already going to fail a save, why not use a spell that will affect them without any additional resources expended?
    Because it's fun.

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Well, that, and the fact that making an opponent roll twice for every attack, save, skill check, etc and take the worse result is pretty close to "You Lose". Plus, Unluck is an attack spell in the Divination school, targets Will, yet isn't mind-affecting - very rare combination!

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    It's rerolling every single attack, save, and skill check, and possibly a few other common d20 rolls, that you make during the 1 round/level duration, and you take the better rather than risking having a reroll worse than the original. If the second roll is worse than the first, then you use the first roll.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

It also has a Swift Action casting time, so you don't have to spend a round buffing with it. The Personal range is also nice for DMM: Persistent. A guy at the WotC boards did a critical threat chance spreadsheet for the spell's effect, I think he came up with a Keen Falchion (15-20) having around a 55% chance of scoring a critical threat every attack.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Unluck is considered a good spell, even by the GOD handbook's standards.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree with Saph - that's an absolutely awesome spell! Just think of all the cruelty potential in that spell.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.