New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Just what are kobolds anyway?

Are they supposed to be the descendants of cursed dragons?

Some kind of biological construct slave made back in days of yore?

What happens when mommy dragons don't have daddy dragons (or daddy humans...or elves...or... well... anything with a Y chromosome) and just lay the eggs unfertilized?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Just what are kobolds anyway?

Small reptilian humanoids. That's it.
    Last edited by FoE; 2009-07-25 at 09:51 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

There are two types of kolbolds: The hairy ones and the scaly ones.

For all I know, the scaly ones could just be egotistical creatures that claim descent from dragons to boost their egos.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Your future overlords.

Sorry. Just the way it goes.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    For all I know, the scaly ones could just be egotistical creatures that claim descent from dragons to boost their egos.
    They did a pretty damned good job of it, then.
    I am within your stronghold inflicting fatal attacks upon your conscripts.

I Am A: Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-14
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-13
    Charisma-12
    What D&D Character Am I?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

These guys.

The latter I made my one-shot Kobold Avenger's official backstory. After that happened, he dedicated himself to Avandra, because it was such a stroke of luck.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobolds are diminutive bipedal canines that live in fear of an ever hungry warlord and religiously serve a cruel demon master. Their insatiable appetite and rapid breeding force them to raid human villages but their curiosity and general bad luck usually results in their hilarious deaths.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

What are kobolds?

Delicious in satay. They make good nacho dip, too...
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    These guys.

The latter I made my one-shot Kobold Avenger's official backstory. After that happened, he dedicated himself to Avandra, because it was such a stroke of luck.
    Aww...Kobolds DO have their sensitive side after all.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Aww...Kobolds DO have their sensitive side after all.
    Yes. Yes, they do.

11. - Top - End - #11

Technically, in 3.5 cannon, Kobolds are descendants of the first Green Dragon to lose true immortality. Or at least that's what Races of the Dragon says.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

MonkGuy

Kobold=xp fodder. This is basic gaming knowledge.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Technically, in 3.5 cannon, Kobolds are descendants of the first Green Dragon to lose true immortality. Or at least that's what Races of the Dragon says.
    This, although I think it is that some were created from each of the original dragons when they became mortal.

Earlier, they were more doglike, and basically jsur another race of humanoids.

@Berserk Monk: Or your worst nightmare.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobolds are a central european demon that it is believed came about when I child was sacrificed to the gods to protect and prosper a village. They were chosen at birth and kept alive but completely isolated until there 7, at which time they were brought before the village, bound, and killed through bloodletting.

The children sacrificed in this was were denied contact with anybody other than the mother or a wetnurse, who was forbidden from speaking to them. If they had to be moved they would be drugged and blind folded. Never allowing the child to see or hear a human was the charge of special blood-bound guards (possibly Eunuchs) on pain of death.

Also they are almost as popular as Gnomes as a PC now.

Pun-Pun is their God, as well as his own, as well as his pet.
    Characters
    Everyone is Gay/Straight for V!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    "I once traveled with a kobold bard. He rhymed Sadder with Bladder and sang fondly about his navel."

Kobolds are distantly descended from dragons, and have an awesome cooperative society. They are ingenious, inventive, motivated, and more. I love kobolds.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    What are kobolds?

Delicious in satay. They make good nacho dip, too...
    That is what I was going to say.
    My Homebrew Signiture.

Thank you Serpentine for my amazing avatar!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    What happens when mommy dragons don't have daddy dragons (or daddy humans...or elves...or... well... anything with a Y chromosome) and just lay the eggs unfertilized?
    An appropriate number of Kobolds come out of the egg, with scales tinted the same color as their 'mother' and being fanatically loyal to their mother.

Male dragons can mate with anything and make 1/2 Dragon flunkies. Female dragons don't play that game (mate with a lion to make a dragonne? No thank you. Dragonesses don't bottom for food.), and instead produce litters of fanatical little dragon-dudes.

18. - Top - End - #18

What kobolds are, is an excuse for the DM to break out the ruleset on traps. Lots of traps. Bending and twisting and breaking the ruleset on traps. And pulling out d20 supplements on traps. Grimtooth's, anyone?

Actual kobolds are there to snicker at the PCs as they fall prey to the traps. Particularly vindictive kobolds may hold up big scorecard placards or offer color commentary.

... okay, seriously, in and of themselves kobolds are incredibly weak challenges for low-level PCs in a direct combat confrontation, but a fiendishly nasty challenge when utilized by a particularly evil-minded DM who likes to use numbers and ambush tactics in combination with spellcasting, alchemy, and yes traps. (Because what causes chagrin in PCs like getting pwned by kobolds? Tucker, anyone?)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Kobolds are cutprice dragons. They are to dragons as rats are to bears. Annoying and similar, but not nearly as powerful.

Unlike Dragons however, they always have the advantage of numbers or should, and thus are usually tactically superior.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Set View Post
    An appropriate number of Kobolds come out of the egg, with scales tinted the same color as their 'mother' and being fanatically loyal to their mother.

Male dragons can mate with anything and make 1/2 Dragon flunkies. Female dragons don't play that game (mate with a lion to make a dragonne? No thank you. Dragonesses don't bottom for food.), and instead produce litters of fanatical little dragon-dudes.
    I've done something similar. Unfertilized eggs hatch out kobolds that are fanatically loyal to the dragon that laid the egg. Of course my dragons are hermaphrodites that can all lay unfertilized eggs. They can only lay fertilized eggs after mating with another dragon.

21. - Top - End - #21

NecromancerGuy

One version I know was that Kobolds were originally associated with mines and with "switching" valuable metal ores with cobalt (hence the name) ore. So basically, they started as mischevious underground critters that pestered human miners.

In D&D, real cobolds were canine and had fur, don't let anyone tell you otherwise Those scaly critters that got popular in recent years are just impostors.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MickJay View Post
    One version I know was that Kobolds were originally associated with mines and with "switching" valuable metal ores with cobalt (hence the name) ore. So basically, they started as mischevious underground critters that pestered human miners.

In D&D, real cobolds were canine and had fur, don't let anyone tell you otherwise Those scaly critters that got popular in recent years are just impostors.
    Yes, Cobolds are canine, Kobolds are dragonspawned... there ya go, problem solved.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

I really liked those cartoons, Haven. Was the 2nd one a Dwarf Fortress reference? Weren't Kobolds dog-like in earlier Editions before becoming reptillian?
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    "I once traveled with a kobold bard. He rhymed Sadder with Bladder and sang fondly about his navel."

Kobolds are distantly descended from dragons, and have an awesome cooperative society. They are ingenious, inventive, motivated, and more. I love kobolds.
    Nothing descended from a Dragon has a navel. I hope this does not ruin your love.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    I really liked those cartoons, Haven. Was the 2nd one a Dwarf Fortress reference? Weren't Kobolds dog-like in earlier Editions before becoming reptillian?
    Kobolds have always been described as being scaly humanoids. The confusion came from 2E where the monster manual described their appearance as being canine like and their language sounding like yelps and barks.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for clarifying, JM. Regarding what Kobolds are, I tend to view them as basically being miners which are more likely to be Sorcerers while having a well ordered society (I disagree with having "usually/always alignment x" races, and I hate the idea of using specific races as cannon-fodder, so I make Kobolds stronger in games which I'm DMing).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for clarifying, JM. Regarding what Kobolds are, I tend to view them as basically being miners which are more likely to be Sorcerers while having a well ordered society (I disagree with having "usually/always alignment x" races, and I hate the idea of using specific races as cannon-fodder, so I make Kobolds stronger in games which I'm DMing).
    You can blame their bad rep on The Keep on the Borderlands. It was pretty much DnD for Dummies and included a bunch of stuff that wasn't in the 1E Basic set so it basically held the DM by the hand. You come across a keep in the wilderness contested between warring tribes of goblinoids, orcs, and kobolds. The kobolds are the first monster tribe you encounter and subsequently the easiest to defeat.

Then 2nd edition came out and their description basically turned them into a joke.
    Last edited by jmbrown; 2009-07-26 at 10:22 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

What was the 2nd Edition description? That module sounded a lot like Sunless Citadel by the sounds of it.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

They actually both were; the first one is based on a Dwarf Fortress spin-off called Kobold Camp, where the kobolds look like this.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for explaining. I'm looking up information on Kobold Camp now (I consider Kobolds to be cute so I'd probably like it).
    Spoiler
    Show