New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default A low WIS Character.

So, last session our Dwarf Monk died. So now he had to make a new character. After going with human sorcerer, he rolled stats. Yes, we roll stats. We enjoy variety, we care nothing for balance. But anyway, after rolling two 17s and an 18, luck have it that he gets a 4. Which he dumps to wisdom. So, any advice I should give him about it, aside from the obvious things? (Or obvious things that are so obvious he'll never see it coming.)
    Pronounced Nikki.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: A low WIS Character.

I'm seeing low attention span and a complete lack of curiosity about anything that isn't extremely shiny. Also will fall to very simple traps or any situation that requires quick, reactive thinking.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

He gets the big picture, but he gets bogged down in the details.

4. - Top - End - #4

He may also have a very poor memory. However, he's probably good at memorizing material or remembering purely factual things (if he has a good Int score), and his social graces and charm (high Cha) may win over friends who aren't too observent themselves. He's likely a bad decision maker and completely unable to tell who his real friends are.

Of course, it all depends on how he wants to play the character. Should turn out interestingly though....

5. - Top - End - #5

Shoulda put it in Str.

Hit him with a Will save effect. That'll teach him.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Shoulda put it in Str.

Hit him with a Will save effect. That'll teach him.
    Not all DMs believe in punishing players for making non-optimal character choices. It already sounds like this DM wants to help (or at least neutrally guide) this player rather than school them for daring to pick the wrong place to put an ability roll.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Queenfange View Post
    Not all DMs believe in punishing players for making non-optimal character choices. It already sounds like this DM wants to help (or at least neutrally guide) this player rather than school them for daring to pick the wrong place to put an ability roll.
    In that case, give him a Talisman of the Disc (MIC) and tell him to dump Str instead.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

4 wisdom to me equals completely nuts.

Think mad scientist, imaginary friend, etc.

9. - Top - End - #9

SwashbucklerGuy

Make sure he has a good familiar to make the spot and listen checks for him (assuming he keeps the familiar rather than something else).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

The way I play my low wis character (7, so take these a bit... more extreme I guess) is like this. He's very quick to anger and brash, acting before thinking (Though he's brilliant.)

He doesn't think far in advance, though he might have a generic plan for the future. He's addled in the sense that things can go on around him and he'll either be too focused or too distracted (hah.) to notice.

He'd drift in and out of conversations, maybe thinking the planning process is a waste of time. He might end up being rude at times unintentionally, but that could be more of a charisma thing.

Its not much, but I hope it helps

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Maybe I should have said this. I'm not actually the DM here. Our party is only me(a drunken barbarian), my friend who plays a mute cleric, and this sorcerer.

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    I'm seeing low attention span and a complete lack of curiosity about anything that isn't extremely shiny. Also will fall to very simple traps or any situation that requires quick, reactive thinking.
    Then I should probably convince him to change, as we're going to be fighting two more levels worth of kobolds?

And yeah, thanks for the advice guys.
    Last edited by Overlord Nicy; 2009-07-26 at 09:29 PM.
    Pronounced Nikki.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Isn't "absent minded professor" the standard explanation/example of a low wisdom high int character?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

What are his Intelligence and Charisma scores? That could help with defining what he'd probably be like.

Anyway... a 4 wisdom is just barely higher than the minimum. He probably has poor impulse control, a short attention span, and is easily tricked, persuaded, or talked into things that he knows are bad ideas... and he might realize they're bad ideas if he'd just take the time to stop and think for a second, but his low Wisdom would make that a rare occurance.

If he has a high Intelligence, he'd probably get absorbed into reading a book or thinking about a problem and might have to be physically struck on occasion just to get his attention. If he has an average Intellience, he might just get distracted thinking about bunnies (or gold or women or whatever it is he likes).

Low Wisdom, high Charisma, and average-ish Intelligence could be represented as a pathological party animal; he loves being around lots of people and telling jokes and being the center of attention, probably, regardless of whether other people are laughing with him or at him (and he might not appreciate or even care about the difference). He might be loud and an attention whore regardless of whether it's appropriate at the time or not.

During a conversation, he'd probably be wandering from one subject to the next with every other sentance unless the other person(s) deliberately try to keep him on one subject.

A low Wisdom is sort of like ADD (NOT ADHD, there IS a difference). He'd probably focus on things that interest him and pretty much ignore everything else unless it's an emergency or something.
    Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2009-07-26 at 09:57 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    He gets the big picture, but he gets bogged down in the details.
    He'd also have the imagination of a doorknob unable to see beyond what his magic can do for him. You could make him a bit of a pompous fool depending on his alignment, but not enough that it breaks up the party.

Comparitively, 4 INT would be close to mild retardation.

Also, it really depends on how big the picture is. His low attention span will cause him to forget details, not due to a poor memory (memory isn't a stat that has mechanical affects in D&D unless you're thinking of something like a photographic memory, maybe).

A good way to start with creating a character like this to go with the assumption that he has no grasp of even the fundamentals of something like philosophy or the ability to ask 'good questions'.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2009-07-26 at 11:40 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by imp_fireball View Post
    Comparitively, 4 INT would be close to mild retardation.
    Close to? No, it would be severe mental handicap; remember that cats have an Int of 2 and "average"/regular/default-NPC humans have an Intelligence of 10-11. So, Wisdom along the same lines... Would be pretty horrific, the more than I think about it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Queenfange View Post
    Close to? No, it would be severe mental handicap; remember that cats have an Int of 2 and "average"/regular/default-NPC humans have an Intelligence of 10-11. So, Wisdom along the same lines... Would be pretty horrific, the more than I think about it.
    What does this button do?

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord Nicy View Post
    So, last session our Dwarf Monk died. So now he had to make a new character. After going with human sorcerer, he rolled stats. Yes, we roll stats. We enjoy variety, we care nothing for balance. But anyway, after rolling two 17s and an 18, luck have it that he gets a 4. Which he dumps to wisdom. So, any advice I should give him about it, aside from the obvious things? (Or obvious things that are so obvious he'll never see it coming.)
    Huh? What? I kinda trailed off and forgot what you were talking about. Say that again?

In the most general sense, per the game rules, wisdom is awareness of other things around you. So you could see a tree, analyze it's bark for tanin content, and count its rings, etc. This is int. But then you take 5 steps immediately afterwards and bump into another tree because you weren't paying attention (that's a DC 0 spot check btw, or DC 5 if distracted). The PHB also describes a low wis as being absent minded. Don't go overboard and make it into a stereotype, but you get the idea.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-07-26 at 10:18 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

With that low a Wisdom score, he has no sense at all. Take all of his character flaws and multiply them by like 10.

He's totally clueless. Even with a high int, he won't be able to tell the difference between a good plan and an awful one.

I really, really, really doubt 4 wis is a good idea. If he's a sorceror, it should be in Str.

Because anyone who cares enough to roleplay his mental stats will get you all killed at 4 wis.

Bear in mind, 4 wis is not somewhat impulsive like 7 wis, it's severely, severely mentally handicapped and foolish or maybe utterly, incurably insane.
    Last edited by Kallisti; 2009-07-26 at 10:19 PM.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

19. - Top - End - #19

He'd need to have another player constantly watch over him in order not to do something stupid - i.e. become fascinated with a peculiar bug while an enemy is charging him.
    Last edited by SinsI; 2009-07-26 at 10:26 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

SwashbucklerGuy

"Remind me again what happens if I decide to press this button?"

"We die."

"Oh... Okay..."

few minutes later.

"Which button wasn't I supposed to touch? They all look the same."

"The Red one."

"Which Red one? The Dark red, the cherry red, the light red, the maroon, the orange red, the red orange?"

^maybe like that, but worse.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Make him take notes on Elan

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

22. - Top - End - #22

Someone with 4 wis basically has severe schizophrenia.

Strange affect, delusions, poor perception of reality etc.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    With that low a Wisdom score, he has no sense at all. Take all of his character flaws and multiply them by like 10.

He's totally clueless. Even with a high int, he won't be able to tell the difference between a good plan and an awful one.

I really, really, really doubt 4 wis is a good idea. If he's a sorceror, it should be in Str.

Because anyone who cares enough to roleplay his mental stats will get you all killed at 4 wis.

Bear in mind, 4 wis is not somewhat impulsive like 7 wis, it's severely, severely mentally handicapped and foolish or maybe utterly, incurably insane.
    There is always some madness in reason, and always some reason in madness. Folks who lose SAN don't lose wisdom. Also, if it were to be allowed by point by, one of those 18's could be reduced to 17 and it'd allow him to pump Wis up to 11. Or the 17 to a 16. *Shrug*
    Last edited by Jergmo; 2009-07-26 at 10:47 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Sunder the wall?! WT**** kind of tactics are these!?"
    Me: The kind that armies have been using for millennia.
    DM: They didn't do it with swords!
    Me: Which makes us so much cooler.

Player: Where are the babau in relation to everyone else?
    Me: They're right behind you. Vesil is covered in Loki's blood. That is their location in relation to you.
    Player: I was just wondering about a fireball.

My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Oh, not this again. The gap between 2 and 3 INT is massive. If 3 INT means they're walking brain dead automotons incapable of any form of logic, then how can such adventurers survive at all when not in the presence of a party? How would they grasp the ability to take up a life of adventure without intense supervision (something unavailable in the middle ages)? How would they even have any skill points at all?

3 INT is mild retardation in my book. Actual retardation is a major flaw or trait.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Matching the average and standard deviation of intelligence and IQ (not that IQ is perfect, but I'm not aware of anything better that can be condensed to a single number), 3 int is equivalent to 65 IQ. According to Wikipedia, that is in the "Mild mental retardation" range.

So yes, a character with 3 int is only mildly retarded.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by imp_fireball View Post
    Oh, not this again. The gap between 2 and 3 INT is massive. If 3 INT means they're walking brain dead automotons incapable of any form of logic, then how can such adventurers survive at all when not in the presence of a party? How would they grasp the ability to take up a life of adventure without intense supervision (something unavailable in the middle ages)? How would they even have any skill points at all?

3 INT is mild retardation in my book. Actual retardation is a major flaw or trait.
    I thought you couldn't speak properly with less than 8?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Anyone more retarded would likely die right out of the womb in the middle ages, so it's perfectly logical.

I thought you couldn't speak properly with less than 8?
    Remember that education isn't very rife in the middle ages. People with average or higher are assumed to 'pick up' things, likely from the nobles, perhaps to seem more dignified themselves. It's not that people stupider lack the capacity, it's just they are of a different cultural barrier.

A lot of peasants in middle ages england spoke in uvular Rs for example until that one German king came along. 'Speaking properly' is noble perception. In the world today, there's no way to 'speak properly' except through what literary authoritarians tell you. Everyone has accents, slang, etc. And it is true that those of lower capacity tend to speak more simply and straight forward - that's probably what the books meant.

Someone with 4 wis basically has severe schizophrenia.
    Either that, or they're the most ignorant buffoon you'll come across in a bar. People who could never tell a joke or recognize what actually is funny. Again, I'd argue that schizophrenia is a trait or flaw; usually reducing WIS rather than requiring rock bottom WIS as a prerequisite.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2009-07-27 at 12:05 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I see a lot of people expressing exactly the stereotypes I suggested avoiding. A 4 wis could be mad, but it doesn't have to be. Nor is he unable to act. Derro (which really are mad) live healthy murderous lives. And in the case of the Derro the madness causes low wis not vis versa (see: madness removal method).
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-07-27 at 12:09 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Per the SRD, a 2 WIS would be roughly the equivalent of a moving fungus. 4 WIS, in my book, would be somewhere between a sack of flour and a three year old human child, for purposes of determining willpower, common sense, perception and intuition.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Unless of course he's cool with being a lunatic. :P

"Whee!"
    "Oh here we go again."
    "This reminds me of merry-go-rounds!"
    "What is he saying? Never mind, I won't get involved in this... you can have the loot."
    "Loot a toot! Loot a toot!"
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2009-07-27 at 12:07 AM.