New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default best/worst rolls for a level 1

hey
    just wondering what some of peoples best and worst stat rolls have been and for what kind of character
    this isnt including rerolls because you didnt like the numbers
    this is for proper rolls while rolling up a character

my two best would have to be
    15 15 13 12 13 13
    and
    18 12 16 14 17 9

dont really have a bad one because i havent done that many

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: best/worst rolls for a level 1

My best? Probably 18, 18, 17, 17, 17, 16. So good that I couldn't actually think of a character to use them on.

I don't remember the worst that I've actually used...I do know it was pretty bad though.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

3. - Top - End - #3

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    My best? Probably 18, 18, 17, 17, 17, 16.
    nice roll
    so... how many re rolls did that take? lol

4. - Top - End - #4

With no rerolls, my best is 16, 16, 15, 15, 14, 10. Druid.

With no rerolls, my worst is 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 11. Barbarian.

Can you tell I've only played two characters?

Djinn! You should have made a Monk! With those stats, it'd be hard to suck!
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    My best? Probably 18, 18, 17, 17, 17, 16. So good that I couldn't actually think of a character to use them on.
    It was probably your only chance to play a Monk

6. - Top - End - #6

NecromancerGuy

so whats so fancy about a monk?
    why do you need high stats?
    i have heard monks can end up causing a TPK if not played right.
    why is that?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

They depend on too many of their ability scores, so unless you have really good stats all-round, a monk will likely start to falter in some area it's supposed to be good at. By contrast, classes like wizards and druids can get away with just pumping up a single stat, making them more effective since it's the only thing they need to worry about.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Both:

Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Both:

I bet you played a Half-Orc barbarian, and made the 5 your Strength and one of the 18s your Charisma.

I would have threatened to do that, for laughs.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

My best:

16 16 16 16 16 13. No, I'm not kidding. >_<;; I rolled that... then sadly had to drop out of the campaign since the DM for it had stopped posting, I assumed it would be a dead game, and went on to another campaign... then found out it was going but had already joined another and didn't want to risk distraction since I was up to 3 games by that point >.<;

Worst... uhh... I actually don't remember. Anything bad enough, DMs tend to let me re-roll, so it doesn't stick in the old noggin very long >.>;; I'd imagine something like this though:

11 10 12 6 8 7 - It's probably not exact; but it seems like something I would roll on a poor day <'x'>
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    I bet you played a Half-Orc barbarian, and made the 5 your Strength and one of the 18s your Charisma.

I would have threatened to do that, for laughs.
    I actually played a Druid/Barbarian. The 18's and 17's went into the physical stats, with a charisma of 5. The setting was Sweden, approximately 800AD, our world. We were level 2 and I was the local hermit who talked to animals and never cut his hair or got near water. He also couldn't talk in a way that made much sense, limiting himself to mostly growling. Was a fun character.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2009-07-29 at 07:53 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Easy choice. The Best Wizard Ever.

13. - Top - End - #13

Ive actually never rolled because nobody ever lets me play their reindeer games

Ive been at a few point buy games tho. Its better, but well... *sigh* it takes the fun randomness out of it, not to mention it can push you into RP directions you weren't expecting...

[roll]4d6b3[/roll]
    Last edited by daggaz; 2009-07-29 at 07:59 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I can't remember it exactly, but it was something really bad. And no, I didn't get to reroll it. It was something like 12, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10.

To become even within a mile of competant, I had to decide on an Elven Rogue, just to get me to having a bonus of 2 on anything... The constitution penalty and other rogue in the party made it look even worse, I wasn't too upset when the character came close to death or the campaign finished early.

Best stats I think I've rolled are actually on my current character (2nd edition Bard [Galant Kit if anyone's interested]) The only stat he's actually got a bonus on is Charisma (Rolled a 16, currently 17 after a divine pool that could give bonuses or penalties depending on your luck), but he's got decent Int (Currently 15) and Dex (Current 13) and nothing was rolled below a 10. I think the pre-divine pool bonuses it was 16, 14, 12, 11, 11, 10. But he does his job well enough

15. - Top - End - #15

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by daggaz View Post

Ive been at a few point buy games tho. Its better, but well... *sigh* it takes the fun randomness out of it, not to mention it can push you into RP directions you weren't expecting...

[roll]4d6b3[/roll]
    hmm
    thats a thought
    a reindeer in DnD
    what would its stats and stuff be?

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by daggaz View Post

[roll]4d6b3[/roll]
    hmm
    thats a thought
    a reindeer in DnD
    and i mean like how their are centaurs and minoaurs and gnolls and stuff
    humanoid stuff
    what would its stats and stuff be?

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by almightyk View Post
    nice roll
    so... how many re rolls did that take? lol
    None, actually. I was rather pleasantly surprised by my luck that evening.

In retrospect, I wish I had finished by 20th level Chameleon class a few weeks sooner. It would have been perfect.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2009-07-29 at 10:02 AM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

In my group, we normally don't roll for stats. The last time we tried rolling for stats can serve as a demonstration to the primary reason why not. At the same time, it demonstrates the best rolls I have witnessed, as well as the worst.

One player, on his first try, rolls 18, 18, 17, 14, 12, 10 (or something similiar, it was worth about 60 points in point-buy).
    Another player gets something like 11, 10, 10, 9, 8, 6. He then rerolls. He gets similar stats the next time. He rerolls 5 times more. His best set of attributes over like 7-8 rerolls is something like 13, 12, 11, 11, 10, 5.
    Yay!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Zaggab View Post
    Another player gets something like 11, 10, 10, 9, 8, 6. He then rerolls. He gets similar stats the next time. He rerolls 5 times more. His best set of attributes over like 7-8 rerolls is something like 13, 12, 11, 11, 10, 5.
    He got the [I suck] inherited template. You need a ritual to get it off.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

20. - Top - End - #20

Worst? No rerolls, I ended up with a 4/7/5/12/3/14.

With rerolls? 15/17/16/14/17/18. I rock when I get to reroll stats.

Best? DM house ruled a Yahtzee rule. 4 of a kind, you keep the whole roll instead of dropping the lowest die. He also made us reroll 1's and 2's. I don't remember the exact rolls, but I know none of my stats were under 16, and at least 2 were above 20 before race.

Without that house rule? I often end up with 17/15/16/15/18/18. I've had those kind of stats for 6 different characters so far. The other players in that particular group are allowed rerolls based on if I roll well for that character. Needless to say, they like it when I roll well.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Best rolls?
    18, 18, 18, 14, 10, 3.

Or something thereabouts. I know I had three 18s and a 3 for certain though.
    I started as a Half-Orc barbarian, and my 3 charisma couldn't be lowered below 3, for whatever reason... or maybe I had rolled a 5 and got it lowered to three. Can't remember.
    I do know that later, in game, it got lowered to 2.

Might I add that this was my first character ever?
    His name was Crunch.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Worst? Not D&D, but a system with 9 stats, 3d6 in order, 2 4d6b3 to replace stats for humans, after the rerolls, went from 5-10 with one 15. That's right, 8 out of 9 with a +0 or worse modifier. No reroll allowed.

There's a reason I prefer pt-buy.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

I made a Pixie Warlock once that got seven legal rerolls, meaning that the total of all bonuses was never greater then plus one. The final role made it because I got an eighteen, but the rest was awful. It was something like 18, 7, 12,13,10,11. That's more then plus one, so I did a dandy job.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Lair, Done By Banjo1985

Need to know something about Star Wars? PM me, I know more the Old Ben himself.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

The first character I ever rolled was 18 18 18 18 10 3. I think the dice were messed up or something. It's too bad the game never got past the first session.

25. - Top - End - #25

My first character: -18 -18 -16 -13 -13 -12.
    I was a cleric/druid/wavkeeper.
    Beautiful avatar by Mr_Saturn
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    ...I think that counts as your own Crowning Moment of Awesome, WP.
    Thank you's:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lovely avatar of an NPC in Camp Half-Blood of mine by Crimson Angel:
    Thanks to Green Bean for my Spheal avatar.

Also thanks to VT for awarding me with a VT monster competition award.

Four internets and a cookie!

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Shraik View Post
    I made a Pixie Warlock once that got seven legal rerolls, meaning that the total of all bonuses was never greater then plus one. The final role made it because I got an eighteen, but the rest was awful. It was something like 18, 7, 12,13,10,11. That's more then plus one, so I did a dandy job.
    Her dice rolls appear to have had a habit of faeling.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

27. - Top - End - #27

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Worst? No rerolls, I ended up with a 4/7/5/12/3/14.

With rerolls? 15/17/16/14/17/18. I rock when I get to reroll stats.

Best? DM house ruled a Yahtzee rule. 4 of a kind, you keep the whole roll instead of dropping the lowest die. He also made us reroll 1's and 2's. I don't remember the exact rolls, but I know none of my stats were under 16, and at least 2 were above 20 before race.

Without that house rule? I often end up with 17/15/16/15/18/18. I've had those kind of stats for 6 different characters so far. The other players in that particular group are allowed rerolls based on if I roll well for that character. Needless to say, they like it when I roll well.
    I have a DM with similar rules. We do 4d6 drop lowest reroll 1's and 2's, no yahtzee though.
    I found out that this was the generation method he used for all of his characters, because when I or any other DM said "the usual" for stat generation, instead of going with whats written in the PHB, or any other rulebook (I have looked all over, and I can't find where he even got this).
    I made a factotum for his campaign that really can do everything though. Bewteen this and helping my girlfriend optimize a wizard for the campaign, we walked through the first adventure incredibly easily (we never even had to rest and went through about 11 encounters in 1 hour game time)
    Hopefully it will teach him how messed up it is to use that stat generation method, especially in games where not everyone else has it.
    He has eaten the pancake. He will never come back to us now.

28. - Top - End - #28

For an AD&D game a good many years back, I rolled, for an elven fighter/mage: 18, 16(+1), 17(-1), 16, 14, 13.

And then I rolled my hit dice (AD&D; you rolled at 1st level, and multiclass characters averaged the results), and got 1s on both dice.

And then I rolled height and weight, and got minimum height for a male elf, and near max weight... so I was basically built like a dwarf: 4'8", 118 pounds, an 18/36 Strength, and 3 hit points (yay Con bonus!).

Pretty much the only reason I survived long enough to get my second Fighter hit die was that almost anything I hit was guaranteed to die, and my Dex meant I was probably attacking first. There were a couple of fights where I was fighting with my belt knife just because it had a better weapon speed than my sword, and would still insta-kill anything I hit.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Post Re: best/worst rolls for a level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Both:

I think that was my exact same best array ever the bad part was the fact I had already decided on playing a gray-elf wizard so my array ended up looking something like this:
    Str 12, Dex, 20, Con, 15, Int, 20, Wis, 16, Cha 5
    Although I was still a wizard so I dominated
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnorman View Post
    Easy choice. The Best Wizard Ever.
    As noted above I've done that, but it doesn't work very well because wizards only really need to be intelligent.
    EDIT: Also, I'm new and as of yet have been unable to find a link to edit my profile, help on this would be most appreciated
    ^
    EDIT 2: | I found it
    Last edited by zarakstan; 2009-07-29 at 01:54 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

The best was something like 18, 18, 16, 15, 5, 6. I believe that was my Monk. He was really strong, pretty fast, really wise, pretty tough, was proud that he was 2 times smarter than the Tarrasque, and was as well spoken as a garbage disposal. He was actually pretty neat. Played in that campaign for like 3 weeks but ended when the party was killed in a fortress but I managed to live after making an impressive jump and climb check to scale the walls and get the hell outta dodge.

My worst? Infernum game system. The DM rolled 4d6 drop lowest in order. We rolled a pair to see which one we wanted to play. I got something like:
    STR: 7
    DEX: 11
    CON: 9
    WIS: 10
    INT: 3
    CHA: 5

After the DM said that he wanted me to actually play this character, I said I was making an Imp (huge hit to Str and Con, hit to Cha, small bonus to Dex) and said I was robbing the nearest bank. After the DM realized that I had just rolled what couldn't even be a farmer, he let me re-roll.

I've also had one, I can't remember but it was going to be in a Troll campaign. Not sure what I rolled exactly, but it was another straight down the line thing and my physical states were only positive once I added in Racial Bonuses but I rolled an 18 for my CHA. I never got a chance to play "Morgrak the Cursed" because the campaign never started.

I have learnt something in my short time of playing; if I can even take a 22 point buy, it is better than having to roll the damn dice!