New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Diversity

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Music Diversity

The other day it hit me like a bag of bricks. Why not give all types of music a chance instead of immediately dismissing them. When my friend told me to listen to a song, told me it was "screamo" and I immediately said "hells no!" buuuuuut later on I listened to it and now it's one of my fav's. All songs no matter what style have some sort of story or emotion that everyone should hear. I would like this thread to be open to ANY suggestions for ANY songs at all. It doesn't matter if you feel weird posting it, I don't want any music bashing in here. It's a spot to share the stuff you like, and take in what others like.

To start off, I'd like to recomend anything from Jack Johnson's CD: Brushfire Fairytales.
    Round 7 ;D

I'm back, to rock the casbah all over again

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Music Diversity

Finian's Rainbow is really good.

If you were a fan of Dr Seuss as a kid, try Seussical the Musical.

Wicked's amazing.

Into the Woods is hilarious. (It's the first I show to people who have decided they don't like musicals. After they've seen it they seem to love musicals.)

Ave Q for anyone over 18...it's Sesame St on crack.

Camelot's one of my all time favourites, though.

And Starlight Express is, in my opinion, Andrew Lloyd Webber's best.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok...not gonna yell at you for either of those choices given the title/mood of the thread.
    (but just to let you know, I would of tackled you if this was any other thread ;))

Well if you like Jack, try John Mayer. Wonderfully catchy songs and cool to just pick up guitar and sing 'em. And have everyone sing along.

Um...I'm having a really hard time thinking of one...give me time to break out of my musical 1337 shell. ::)

sign by egobuttz

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I was like.. "Ska" WTF?
    Its actually pretty fun. :P
    I always try listening to everything. I listen to from metal to jazz, play classical piano. Finding new bands in different genres is really fun.

(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻
    Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You're still in the fire. Why are you in the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You died.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't have any specific songs to recommend, but I want to agree with you.

I hate it when people say they like "anything but country" or "anything but rap"! I like it all.

I know I don't like most Jazz or Classical music but I'm not about to say "anything but...".

Anyway, sing on brother.

I noticed most of my favorite songs are written by Jim Steinman:
    Bonnie Tyler Total Eclipse of the Heart
    Meat Loaf I Would Do Anything For Love
    Meat Loaf Paradise By The Dashboard Light
    Air Supply Making Love Out Of Nothing At All

But I like lots of other songs from hard rock to country to blues to folk to rap.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by TinSoldier
    I hate it when people say they like "anything but country" or "anything but rap"! I like it all.
    I have to say I'm guilty of this. Both, actually. There are a few of both country and rap that I like, but for the most part the new country is just pop-wannabe. And the rap doesn't take any talent if a 10 year old can become famous for doing it. (Though there are a few rap songs that obviously take talent.)

Like I said, I've tried it. It's just not my cup of tea. Though, like I said, I like a few country and rap songs. Is it hypicritical to hate most of it but find a few of them entertaining?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I like meatloaf but just because of comic relief. That and he dresses like a pirate. Yarr.
    sign by egobuttz

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

There is guaranteed to be one song of any given genre that I like. So, therefore, I'm willing to listen to any song I have not heard before. Unless I have something else that I, at that time, wish to listen to.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I have something to add!
    I am guilty of possessing (though I have no idea how I got them) a few gangster rap cd's. Like back when Snoop Dogg was rising up.
    sign by egobuttz

10. - Top - End - #10

I've got Boys II Men ^.^ my boyfriend found them for me. It was a sentimental act. My first cd ever was that Boys II Men cd that was blue and silver with the big II on the case? He couldn't find that one, though...too bad, I'm not to fond of some of the songs on the cd he got me.

Still, it was sweet.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

My music tastes widely vary, but I was recently very impressed by The Protomen. I'd be buying their cd right now if their website hadn't choked on its bandwidth limit.

And (for me, this is as necessary as breathing), I must make another mention of Utada Hikaru. I really like her english albumns...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun

And (for me, this is as necessary as breathing), I must make another mention of Utada Hikaru. I really like her english albumns...
    I'd wish you'd sufficate. ;) Hehe, just kidding. I like maybe one of her songs. I prefer Onitsuka Chihiro's "Infection" 1000 times better. You voice is almost as good as Amy's (Evanescence) voice in My Immortal.
    sign by egobuttz

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wukei

I have to say I'm guilty of this. Both, actually. There are a few of both country and rap that I like, but for the most part the new country is just pop-wannabe. And the rap doesn't take any talent if a 10 year old can become famous for doing it. (Though there are a few rap songs that obviously take talent.)

Like I said, I've tried it. It's just not my cup of tea. Though, like I said, I like a few country and rap songs. Is it hypicritical to hate most of it but find a few of them entertaining?
    I actually agree a little bit. I think a lot of modern country is "bubblegum" and while I don't hate it it doesn't really stick with me that much.

The country music that I like has a harder edge to it. I don't usually like the older twangy stuff. I'll probably get skinned alive if I suggest that I think that Hank Williams Sr. is a bit overrated. But the country I like is rooted in the Blues, Rock, and Folk music. Also, I love Garth Brooks. I'm also talking Toby Keith, Gary Alan, Big & Rich, etc.

The rap I listen to is also a bit older. Public Enemy, The Beastie Boys, and Digital Underground. It can get a bit repetive but with Rap it all depends on the lyrics. I remember listening to stuff like EPMD and Will Smith a long time ago and I liked it. (I need to get some DJ Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince CDs!)

If you want a fusion of Rap and Country, listen to Cowboy Troy. He's pretty good!

I remember that I didn't like Metallica or Iron Maiden at first, but their songs grew on me. That's one of the instances where familiarity does not breed contempt.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm listening to bluegrass right now. I also recently discovered Iron Maiden.
    Video game soundtracks can be quite good too, as demonstraed by Chris Huelsbeck (many NES games), Michael Giacchino (Medal of Honor), and Scientific Community (formerly named Autopilot which did the music for Descent 3 and Alter Echo).
    Eat highly amplified and coherent radiation of one or more discrete frequencies!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis, The Eyes of a Tragedy
    I'd wish you'd sufficate. ;) Hehe, just kidding. I like maybe one of her songs. I prefer Onitsuka Chihiro's "Infection" 1000 times better. You voice is almost as good as Amy's (Evanescence) voice in My Immortal.
    I'm sorry, it must be the chip implanted in my brain...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

If you want 70's Colorado hippie rock, try Firefall. They strike me as a mix between Allman Brothers and Jethro Tull, both are good. Eric Clapton is overrated outside of Cream or Derick and the Dominoes.

P.O.D. has a few good songs, particularly from Satellite
    Collective Soul is pretty good, but I mostly like them because of Shine
    I've always liked Matchbox 20, but their E.P. album was a letdown to say the least.
    Lifehouse is generally a nice choice
    Def Leppard, Journey, Nazareth, etc. (just tune into the local classic rock station) is nice. I can't reccommend Nick Gilder unless you like guys that sing *exactly* like girls, but that's not classic rock, so the point is moot.

I'll have to agree with Amotis on Meat Loaf, especailly because I have 5-ish of his albums (mostly my dad's), I also have to point out that his cover art is awesome

Bat Out of Hell
    Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell
    Bad Attitude
    Welcome to the Neighborhood

I'll be back to add more as I remember it (music, not the album covers)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

My music tastes widely vary, but I was recently very impressed by The Protomen. I'd be buying their cd right now if their website hadn't choked on its bandwidth limit.
    That would be thanks to 8-Bit putting up a link I think. ;D

I feel bad recommending any music because I'm one of those sorts that just can't stand a lot of most genres. But I will say Enon is worth checking out anyway, even if I feel bad for being an elitest?

18. - Top - End - #18

For Meat Loaf, I only have Bat Out of Hell I and Bat Out of Hell II; I think the second is the better album.

When I'm in a really bad or funky mood, I put that in and it's like prozac for me.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksquat3
    If you want 70's Colorado hippie rock, try Firefall. They strike me as a mix between Allman Brothers and Jethro Tull, both are good.
    I think I will. I love both of those bands so I'll try it.

Eric Clapton is overrated outside of Cream or Derick and the Dominoes.
    I liked his unplugged album. :P

Lifehouse is generally a nice choice
    YAAAAAAY! *screams from rooftops* I just saw him and am learning You and Me.

Def Leppard, Journey, Nazareth, etc. (just tune into the local classic rock station) is nice. I can't reccommend Nick Gilder unless you like guys that sing *exactly* like girls, but that's not classic rock, so the point is moot.
    Heyheyhey, let's not mix classic rock with 80's rock.
    The Who, Boston, etc are classic rock. Not Journey and the gang.

sign by egobuttz

20. - Top - End - #20

Heyheyhey, let's not mix classic rock with 80's rock.
    The Who, Boston, etc are classic rock. Not Journey and the gang.
    While I generally agree that Journey is not in the same class as The Who or Boston (or Rush!) I must say that anything that is still good after twenty years is considered classic.

At least with cars that's what they used to do.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Every once in a while, Jimmy Buffet is good. And every time I say that, I worry that someone will stab me.

Oh, and Trans-Siberian Orchestra is just plain awesome. I'm upset with myself for not mentioning them sooner.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, and Trans-Siberian Orchestra is just plain awesome. I'm upset with myself for not mentioning them sooner.
    Hells YEA!
    They can rock the freaken roof off! Total awesomeness of every level!

Yea...I like them. :P
    sign by egobuttz

23. - Top - End - #23

Every once in a while, Jimmy Buffet is good. And every time I say that, I worry that someone will stab me.

There's nothing at all wrong with Jimmy Buffet. *Puts a parrot on his head*

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

almost stabbed, I thought the Guilty Gear avatar was enough to redeem you... :P

and Meatloaf is well unique, he's the guy i love to pretend to hate.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

There's nothing at all wrong with Jimmy Buffet. *Puts a parrot on his head*
    Yarr. *goes to margarittaville*
    sign by egobuttz

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

How'd I forget those two...Of course I can only listen to 5 Jimmy Buffet songs before it gets repetetive, and that's when I'm in the mood for a tropical party.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra is full blown awesome. Gonna have to see them this year when they play in Cincy, like they do every December.

Gaelic Storm is great, I really like Drink the Night Away and Johnny Tarr, but there really isn't a song I don't really like of theirs, just thought I'd mention those.
    Dexy's Midnight Runners is a good band, most people remember Come on Eileen
    Huey Lewis is nice soft rock, but I have yet to find a song that isn't upbeat from him.
    The J Geils Band was an awesome band to view live, too bad I'm only 16 so I couldn't see them.
    Johnny Lang is good, I was able to see him 2 years ago.

Can't name any specific band, but highland pipe and drum bands are nice to listen to, as long as you don't get right next to them :P

I'm sure I'm missing something.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Trans-Siberian Orchestra is full blown awesome. Gonna have to see them this year when they play in Cincy, like they do every December.
    I will see them live someday too!
    Oh, and Metallica's S&M album is kinda cool. They play with the LA Phil.
    sign by egobuttz

28. - Top - End - #28

Dexy's Midnight Runners is a good band, most people remember Come on Eileen
    What, they did other songs :o ?

The J Geils Band was an awesome band to view live, too bad I'm only 16 so I couldn't see them.
    I've seen Foreigner in concert. Well, they were past their prime but it was still cool.

I've seen Steppenwolf twice and that was good.

I've also seen Kansas. I love it when washed-up rock bands that I love come to county fairs!

Oh, and while county fairs may show washed-up rock bands, they also show current country artists/bands. 'Nother good reason to go to them (besides the rides).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

What, they did other songs :o ?
    Heh, one hit wonders are fun.
    sign by egobuttz

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

...You and Me.
    Every night, I cry for the English Language. :( :P

The radio got me into a few bands, but generally I rely on threads like these.

So, Jim Croce (cause I don't mess around with Jim);
    Eydie Gorme;
    Dean Martin;
    (some)Gorillaz;
    another vote for TSO: my sister got two tickets to them when they came through slc...took my other sister :(
    John Denver ::)
    and almost everything on your local "Oldies" station. they are ingrained into my subconcious from 14 hr road trips with the family.

Enjoy!
    Mercy is the mark of a great man.
    *stab*
    Guess I'm just a good man.
    *stab*
    Well, I'm alright.