New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Wasn't that movie great?

UTTER SCHITE IS WHAT THIS MOVIE IS!! =D
    Wasn't that movie great? The casting was superb, and the acting? SPOT ON! I don't think they could have done any better a job. No siree. In fact, I'd gladly put it in the top ten greatest movies of all time! I mean, can you imagine how awesome it would be to be turned into a monkey? Even just seeing the set turns me on. Oh, Super Mario Bros, how I do love thee.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Wasn't that movie great?

Your sarcasm is nausea inducing.

Having never watched the movie, I cannot pass judgment on it.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

What sarcasm? I'm totally serious.

@V: I liked it as a kid, and have told myself not to ruin the memory. Thus, I have made a promise to myself to never see it again.
    Last edited by Boo; 2009-08-12 at 09:46 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Yuh know.... I liked that movie. I also loved Raul Julia as Bison. I did not however like anything Uwe Boll ever touched.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

You know who could have done a better job than the writers of the movie?

In the immortal words of King Bowser Koopa, played by Dennis Hopper...

"A monkey!"
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    You know who could have done a better job than the writers of the movie?

In the immortal words of King Bowser Koopa, played by Dennis Hopper...

"A monkey!"
    That was devilishly clever, with a pleasant after taste of pure heroin.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiendish_Dire_Moose View Post
    That was devilishly clever, with a pleasant after taste of pure heroin.
    Credit goes to Doug Walker, better known as "That Guy With the Glasses".
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Credit goes to Doug Walker, better known as "That Guy With the Glasses".
    No clue whom you're talking about.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I use black for sarcasm.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

I've seen this movie a longer while ago - was it 15 years? Maybe more, but then the film is only 16 years old and I've seen it in TV and not a cinema. Anyway...

I don't remember it being as bad as critics (including Nostalgia Critic) make it to be. It was cheesy, (which is not necessarily a bad thing) and very different to any other Super Mario-related work (which is, although there were enough cameos and winks to prevent it from being totally unrelated). Overall, I wouldn't call it horrible. I wouldn't call it brilliant either. I'd call it FRIGGIN' WEIRD.

Oh yeah, and calling the protagonists Mario Mario and Luigi Mario? Pretty stupid at first, but there's genius behind this idea. But, judging by an unfortunate line which Nostalgia Critic pointed out, they're brothers and ALSO father and son? Argh, this is so wrong pass me the brain bleach!

And what's not to love about Raul Julia as Bison? He was the only good point of an otherwise horrible movie.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-08-12 at 09:56 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, calling them Mario Mario and Luigi Mario is the only part of the movie that made sense.

They're the friggin' Mario Brothers! No other (insert name here) Brothers in the world is called by the first name of one of the brothers, they are called by the surname!
    I use black for sarcasm.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Actually, calling them Mario Mario and Luigi Mario is the only part of the movie that made sense.

They're the friggin' Mario Brothers! No other (insert name here) Brothers in the world is called by the first name of one of the brothers, they are called by the surname!
    Actually, unfortunately for me, before gaining my own, confusing popularity, I spent much time as "[Insert my brother's name here] Brother". And until my tenth grade we were referred to as the "[Insert my brother's name here] Brothers". Which I am sure was either a play at Mario Brothers, or people being too big of jerks offs to learn the name of someone they talked to every day.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't know if its the childhood nostalgia factor or the little bit of counter-culture hanging around since high school, but I love this movie!

Yoshi was cute. There, now that's out of the way... Dennis Hopper was funny. The Mario Bros. gave it there all and made the characters entertaining and believable. The Goombas could have been done better. They were alright, but they probably stand as the lowest part of the film. Oh, and the Ba-Bomb was cool.

And do I have to say how cool it was to see Koopa turn into a t-rex? If only he had more screen time after that happened.

The world was neat to. As a kid it was great to see a different take on the Mario Bros. world that was so vivid and real; environments have always made or broke movies for me.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

It's been established for a long time that Luigi spent his whole life living in the shadow of his more successful twin brother, Mario. It's not surprising they're known as Mario brothers - as in, Mario and that other guy.

It's also kinda sad, really. Mario wants his brother to be independent from him, but he also knows Luigi isn't ready for that yet.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by orchitect View Post
    environments have always made or broke movies for me.
    The SECOND undeniable truth.

That was what really set me going, the believable environments, with just a twist of the almost unbelievable.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I call Cubey and Tengu the Super Tengu Bros. all the time.

Although that's mainly to piss off Cubey.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I've always wondered what a GOOD Mario Bros movie would be like. The games are awesome, but have never been very cinematic, even nowadays when many games contain a whole movie's worth of cutscenes and dialog.

The goal is always "Save the princess, who Bowser has captured for reasons best left uncontemplated". Mario never speaks (Except for "Woohoo!" and "Itsa me, Mario!"), because he is easier to relate to if we keep his personality vague. The mechanics differ from game to game, but it always comes down to jumping on platforms and on enemies.

A movie loyally based on these games would be pretty dang trippy. Imagine a film about an Italian pumber in a land of sentient fungus who must save a princess from a dragon by eating mushrooms that make him grow in size, picking flowers that allow him to produce fireballs, breaking bricks with his head, and occasionally making a truce with his enemies so that they can play tennis or have a friendly go-kart race.

I hate the live action movie, but I can't really blame the creators for taking one look at the plot of the games and throwing their hands up in defeat.
    Last edited by Starscream; 2009-08-12 at 10:43 AM.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    I hate the live action movie, but I can't really blame the creators for taking one look at the plot of the games and throwing their hands up in defeat.
    This is the reason that fans of books, comics, and video games will always be dissapointed with a movie adaptation.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by orchitect View Post
    This is the reason that fans of books, comics, and video games will always be dissapointed with a movie adaptation.
    Explain Silent Hill. It was literally made by fans.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    Wasn't that movie great? The casting was superb, and the acting? SPOT ON! I don't think they could have done any better a job. No siree. In fact, I'd gladly put it in the top ten greatest movies of all time! I mean, can you imagine how awesome it would be to be turned into a monkey? Even just seeing the set turns me on. Oh, Super Mario Bros, how I do love thee.
    Never saw it.

21. - Top - End - #21

Explain Silent Hill. It was literally made by fans.
    Different fans like different parts of a story. Or the fans just really lack talent. Or both.

22. - Top - End - #22

I SEE YOU WHITE TEXT.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually did like that movie... once I accepted it was nothing at all like the games. It was silly, but it was enjoyable to see something based on the games, however remotely that was.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    I've always wondered what a GOOD Mario Bros movie would be like. The games are awesome, but have never been very cinematic, even nowadays when many games contain a whole movie's worth of cutscenes and dialog.
    You could get away with an adaptation of Paper Mario 2, Super Mario RPG, or M&L:SS.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Yawn. While I usually like the Nostalgia Critic, he was really off his game this time around. A lot of his criticisms didn't even make sense.

For example, he goes on a long rant about the Mario Mario/Luigi Mario bit, saying "It's like an Abbot and Costello routine!" Uh, yeah, that was the joke. You might as well complain about Animaniacs on the basis that "it's like a Looney Tunes cartoon!" Some other stuff he mocked actually made sense in context, and some was just dumb, like making fun of Luigi's "Mario's been like a father to me" line. Taking a line overly literally and making fun of it on that basis isn't a valid criticism of a movie.

It wasn't a great movie but it had some good comedy and kept me entertained. I don't know why it gets all the hate it gets.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Yawn. While I usually like the Nostalgia Critic, he was really off his game this time around. A lot of his criticisms didn't even make sense.
    It was one of his earlier videos, so he didn't really have a "game" settled yet.

I actually watched this movie again last year and found it painfully dull or bizarre. I can't give a detailed review, but in my unprofessional opinion, it was a rather bad movie.

...maybe it was the dubbing.
    I use black for sarcasm.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Well what did you expect?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I also loved Raul Julia as Bison..
    Oh yes. It's not a movie to take with any seriousness, but I don't think it's exactly mean to be.
    "For I beheld Satan as he fell from Heaven. LIKE LIGHTNING!"
    Good old fashioned hammy goodness can be absolutely delightful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

My first experience with Raul Julia was in an excellent biography of a South American reformist clergyman. Very sad, very serious. Then a few weeks later, I realized where I had heard that name before.

In clips from the Street Fighter movie.

My brain exploded.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I'm the kind of person who can like pretty much any movie as long as it wasn't hyped up beforehand, or contain preaching, or have a premise I don't care for (which is rare).

That said I can watch the movie and actually enjoy it. The secret is to not take anything seriously, like.. at all, oh and turning off your brain helps.

Of course that said it's not one I care for, I am just saying I can actually enjoy it.
    Last edited by Setra; 2009-08-12 at 08:17 PM.