New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default My PC's just started a Civil War

Wow,
    My (the player's) PC's (in a game i DM).
    In Sigil, tghey started by dopplinganging harmonium, and having them fire at mercykillers, and then did the reverse.
    until about two dozen harmonium were fighting a dozen mercykillers were.

some Dao EDIT Dabus walk through:
    "There will be peace, the Ladies Peace upon the city"
    the PC's screw with the wording (using illusions), and change it too thigns like "There will be War, the Ladies War upon the City"
    And "There will Be One, and only the One" (a reference to the way the lady said there would be only 15 factions, and also the the faction The One."

The Lady appears.
    Banishes the fighting Harmonium and Mercykillers.
    but not before word of what's happened has spread though the city.
    the PC's hightail it out of there (they were off hiding in a side alley).

By nightfall there was wides scale rioting.
    and the Anarcist are parading through the city.
    The Lady has be seen everywhere - the most active she's been in the city in years. banishing huge numbers of rioters to the Mazes.
    I'm guessing by next Dawn over an eight of the population will be in the mazes.

How Awesome are my players!
    Last edited by oxinabox; 2009-08-17 at 08:13 PM.
    There is nothing on earth that we share; it is either Valjean or Javert!

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

Need to find a God? or Spell or Feat?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: My PC's just started a Civil War

Depends on whether or not they use the chaos to assume control of everyone. But either way, pretty awesome.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

If I were them, I'd leave the city and never come back.
    I think the Lady is more than capable to find out who started the whole thing.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    yep,
    but right now she's to busy putting down the rioters.
    Though then again she never saw the PC's and everyone else saw only saw a variety of people (doppleganger), and all of them have been Mazed.

They're strongly considering running.
    City of Glass is lookiung safe right now.
    Heck the negitive energy plane looks safe now

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Have the players' actions either:

1. threatened the cosmic neutrality of Sigil, as opposed to its political status quo? or
    2. threatened the LoP's rule of Sigil? or
    3. harmed the Dabus?

If they haven't managed either of the above then the LoP really won't care what the mortals do. She has no more interest in petty rioting and faction fights than you would if two ant nests in your garden decided to fight it out. Sure, people might get mazed during the chaos, but there will probably be little - if any - perceptible rhyme or reason as to who or why. That's just how she rolls.

This won't be the first time the power structure has torn itself apart (cf: the dead Factions or The Guilds that IIRC ran Sigil before the Factions arose). Let the Factions fight it out, let the dice fall where they may, and expect to see the Dabus back at work cleaning up the mess when it's all over.

Your party being the catalyst though: Good job! That's proper Planescape right there.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2009-08-17 at 10:06 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Indeed she is.

The Lady probably already has them in a maze and they don't even know it... Yet.

At least, from everything I've seen and read; that's how it's supposed to work for anyone who even tries to cause any chaos of that level... never mind actually succeeding to do so.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

When the Lady catches them - and she will - their punishment will be excruciating.

Your PC's should be in store for some very bad things in the near future. Not to mention the fact that when their actions come out to public knowledge, pretty much everybody in the city is going to be after them. They'll have no hiding place, except maybe with the Xaositechts (sp?), and even the anarchs will probably be a bit miffed about the whole thing.

My recommendation? The next thing your players find should be the Dao painting up notices all over the city with the PC's descriptions, names, and crimes and declaring a public manhunt to aprehend them citywide and even multi-verse wide. Though the Lady's power extends to the boundaries of the Cage, the same cannot be said for the Mercykillers, Harmonium, or any of the others who will come looking for these guys.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

8. - Top - End - #8

The Lady (in my setting) doesn't care what mortals do.
    With the exception of open large scale fighing on thbe steets.
    The Lady won't have War in her Plane.

She is perfectly happy to maze the whole city, more will come.

There is only one person (other than the Dabus and the Lady) who has a real solid chance (without using a powerful scrying ritual).
    is a Harmoinum Investigate that was eyeing them off (who they then followed to the Ladies ward, before starting this all of)
    And I know he escaped.
    so soon he'll be investigating.
    and the Harmoinum will know.
    and the Mercykillers, and the guvnors will know.
    and then they'll burn.
    if the Lady doesn't get them first.

How long in game should they have to escape the plane i wonder?
    Probably once hte rioting has gone down to a simmer.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd say forever.

The Lady isn't forgiving.

....Unless she is in your setting
    Last edited by BenTheJester; 2009-08-17 at 08:49 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

I mean how long before she maze them.
    How long they have to erscape sigil.
    I'ld say until the riots die down then maybe 12 hours.
    and then she puts them in a maze.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

the lady is a plot device, they have exactly as long as you want them to have.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think the Lady would have been fooled by anything as simple as a doppleganger's disguise. I'm not even sure she'd be able to be "distracted". But of course the whole point of the Lady is that she's different for everyone.

But either way I think it boils down to this: If she cares enough to maze the rioters, she should also be mazing the PCs; if the PCs haven't been mazed, she shouldn't be mazing the rioters.

So personally I think the PCs "should" be mazed; however, I put "should" in quotes because from the way you describe it, it sounds like both the PCs and (just as importantly) you are enjoying the way it's going. So don't feel like you need to. I'd suggest the main repercussions come from the Harmonium and the Mercykillers, and the Lady doesn't go after them because of her "mysterious ways."

But they should probably be made to leave the city, because that feels like the appropriate thing to do. So have them run as far as they can and have a quirky squad of Mercykillers and Harmonium officers (accompanied by a Guvner, maybe) who are chasing them across the planes, and whom they barely escape or beat in battle each time (or who they just kill, and keep getting more and more squads of increasing power and size sent after them)--this sounds like the sort of crazy thing your players would love. Give the squad members personalities and quirks, too--maybe have one Harmonium who's unnerved by his Mercykiller comrade who is just weird.

And on the flipside, the Doomguard and maybe the Anarchists will actually probably be big fans of them--not willing to stick their necks out too far, but maybe willing to let them stay in one of their Citadels if the PCs'll do a few...favors for them. Of course, the PCs still have to survive the trip there first...
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    the lady is a plot device, they have exactly as long as you want them to have.
    YEah, I know I was musing.

The lady wasn't fooled by the doppelgangers disguise, she never saw them.
    they were hiding, in an alleyway the whole time.
    the lady can't see thorugh walls (well she can i guess.)

She might have caught a glimps.

I agree they'll proable have to vacate plane.
    unless the rioting dies down quickly - which i doubt, the anarcists are having a ball.
    even if by this time next week (ie after my next game) there will be almost no anarcists left.

If they are caught and mazed that could be awesome fun too.
    I'll cut planescapes maze rule where everyone gets a differnent maze.
    to some extent - most people go to idividual mazes, but the Lady has a special maze, where she'll put them together. after all hell is other people.

And there'll be others there, people who are decended from the last people sent to the maze:
    You know humanity It'll live anywhere.

and It'll be like the maze that the Sartan put the Patryns in.
    A test, to encourage them into a life of good and honor, but gone wrong.
    with one 12 Gates. i think.

And there will be subtle clues that this wasnt always a prison maybe, or that it wasn't always one of the ladies mazes...

Currently party is in a maquaid ball (with rioters outside) wich is also being attened by all the factors.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Keep in mind that divinations at the Lady's level of power should be child's play, so if we're talking a disruption to the point where she's forced to intervene, they should've vacated the plane as soon as they suspected she would take action.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

The problem here isn't necessarily that they screwed with the factions: they screwed with the Dabus. I'm assuming that changing a decree of the lady, related through the Dabus would be a major offense.

So, maze.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    The problem here isn't necessarily that they screwed with the factions: they screwed with the Dabus. I'm assuming that changing a decree of the lady, related through the Dabus would be a major offense.

So, maze.
    Exactly my thoughts.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

The Lady is just a wee bit dues ex machina, at times.

If no-one has any reason to know the PC's did it, then there is no way that anyone should know they did it. If the Lady was paying attention to them at the time, or had any reason at all to be scrying on them, sure, maze time.

But really, it's not like she has any real goals or ambition, so why would she bother hunting them down? She's practically an automaton. It's not like she has divine senses, as she's specifically not a Goddess.

If the players really did manouvre events to the point that they really should have in all fairness got away with it, then the fair thing to do is allow them to appear to have. Of course, if any such npc's manage to figure out legitimately what just happened, then they suddenly become fair game.

In which case, with that in mind, it's still probably a good idea to slip away asap, so they don't give themselves away.

Here's a thought - The Lady doesn't and didn't at any point stop to ask what's even going on, right? She just pops up and starts mazing people. It's not like you can reason with her. So it really doesn't even sound like much of an evidence trail would exist at this point.

Some suggestions, though; Okay, so, the Multi-Man-Maze sounds a good idea, but is as you said, kind of not the Lady's style. How about you run with the idea that the 'maze doesn't, on inspection, even seem to be a real maze, or that it always was one? What if the entity that sent them there wasn't even the Lady? Either something is masquerading as her, or they simply don't see/encounter the Entity in question (allowing them to assume they have been 'mazed' by the Lady either way, with the panick that should induce).
    Of course, the most likely reason for the above would be one of two things.

Either the thing that traps them there wants them to do *something* in this not-actual-maze to further it's agenda, or it is using the chaos that the PC's created to acheive something in or around Sigil, possibly laying the foundations for an attempt to remove the Lady from the picture once and for all? Possibly all of the above. It has possibilities, perhaps.

Perhaps the multi-man-maze is an ancient, deep and forgotten part of Sigil that holds some clue to the Lady's identity, or nature?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    The Lady is just a wee bit dues ex machina, at times.

If no-one has any reason to know the PC's did it, then there is no way that anyone should know they did it. If the Lady was paying attention to them at the time, or had any reason at all to be scrying on them, sure, maze time.

But really, it's not like she has any real goals or ambition, so why would she bother hunting them down? She's practically an automaton. It's not like she has divine senses, as she's specifically not a Goddess.
    A wee bit? The Lady is a walking DeM. Considering she's supposed to be "more powerful than the gods" a bit of scrying/divination to find out the cause of the latest disturbance in Sigil is more than warranted, especially considering they've forced her to actually act in the first place.

However, like I said in my first post, they have exactly as long as the DM wants them to have before they are mazed, I'm just pointing out that it really shouldn't be that long, given the power level she is purported to have.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

A wee bit? The Lady is a walking DeM. Considering she's supposed to be "more powerful than the gods" a bit of scrying/divination to find out the cause of the latest disturbance in Sigil is more than warranted, especially considering they've forced her to actually act in the first place.

However, like I said in my first post, they have exactly as long as the DM wants them to have before they are mazed, I'm just pointing out that it really shouldn't be that long, given the power level she is purported to have.
    Given her essentially uncaring 'inscrutable' nature, and the fact that pretty much everyone she has any reason to believe was present has been mazed, how does she know there's anything to scry or divine about, though? Why does she have any reason to believe that everyone involved hasn't been mazed already?

Given her trumped up deus ex nature, and the fact that she's all to aware of it, she doesn't remotely strike me as the asmodian, magnificent bastard type. She seems exactly the kind of unsubtle scatter-gun approach using 'maze them all and let their gods sort it out' type, who's just going to turn up when suitably irritated, blast anything standing nearby and then slink off to return to contemplating the misery of her own existence or whatever it is she does for all eternity.

20. - Top - End - #20

Griffon

The Lady doesn't necessarily need to intervene for the PCs to be punished, since half of Sigil will be out for their blood. Some problems need force to handle, but some problems will handle themselves on their own.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jothki View Post
    The Lady doesn't necessarily need to intervene for the PCs to be punished, since half of Sigil will be out for their blood. Some problems need force to handle, but some problems will handle themselves on their own.
    Again, this hinges on anyone currently not running through one of the Lady's Mazes having the faintest idea what just happened, and having the balls to step outside whilst the Lady is on the warpath.

22. - Top - End - #22

the PC have resolved the situation:
    They Destroyed Sigil!

I'll go into this latter maybe, but they blew that plane good.

23. - Top - End - #23

So they Place a Large Magical explosive deivise (the one i mentioned before theat the devil wanted to use to blow down the gates of heaven)
    Inbetween an open gate the positive energy plane, and an open gate to the negitive energy plane.
    and then Called in a favour they had owning, from the fact that they stoppedd the gates of heaven being blown up, to have there souls removed and reincarnated.
    The Lady turns up to stop them at the exact instant the boom happened.

The explosion ruptured the portals, and now sigil is flooded with negitive and positive energy, i think the lady may have survived, just, but all here energy is focused on stopping the demiplane being eniliated.
    Everyone who lives there is dead.

How Much XP did they earn for killing a Large metropolis?
    Last edited by oxinabox; 2009-08-24 at 09:18 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Probably none, since you pulled your punches to let them have a working plan of that variety.
    Last edited by Yukitsu; 2009-08-24 at 09:35 PM.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    Probably none, since you pulled your punches to let them have a working plan of that variety.
    Yeah, really, The Lady has somewhat absolute power in Sigil. Really she could've offed them before they knew what had happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I agree with the above two, and would like to say that they confused me with their double-avatars.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

We aren't proper zombies unless we come in near identical droves.

Err, I mean Braaaaaaaains.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by oxinabox View Post
    How Much XP did they earn for killing a Large metropolis?
    0 XP, since the Large Metropolis offered no challenge in combat. Tons of roleplaying XP though, if you ask me.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    We aren't proper zombies unless we come in near identical droves.

Err, I mean Braaaaaaaains.

Run awaaaaaay!

30. - Top - End - #30

Run awaaaaaay!
    *Chases in a zombie like fashion*
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?