New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Twilighted armour and duskblades

Why does the PHBII recommend twilighted armour for duskblades?
    It's not useful for them is it?
    twilightyed reduces Arc failure by 10%.
    But duskblades don't have the abuility to ignore x% of Aracne spell failure, they have the ability to ignore spell faiulre for particular cataorgy (light, medium, heavy)

Is twilighted ment to be considered lowering it one catagory for failure chance?
    Last edited by oxinabox; 2009-08-28 at 01:06 AM.
    There is nothing on earth that we share; it is either Valjean or Javert!

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

Need to find a God? or Spell or Feat?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Twilighted armour and duskblades

Because they're stupid. No, really, they are. Just ignore them.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #3

Its just like how abjurant champions like using mage armor.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

And how Ninjas benefit from armor (thanks MM4), and... actually, I don't think I can list all of the NPCs that are blatantly cheating at the game, even the ones made as examples to demonstrate a class. There are too many. Just assume that certain erroneous pieces of text were made before a critical change in the class's construction. Most other errors are just real stupidity though.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2009-08-28 at 01:23 AM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

What about the sample Ruby Knight Vindicator who doesn't worship Wee Jas?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by quick_comment View Post
    Why wouldn't they? It doesn't interfere with their spellcasting, like regular armor does.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The "advice" sections of sourcebooks often run the gamut from misguided to outright harmfully wrong (HOW many sample characters have Toughness and Dodge?) If you want some real facepalm moments, check out chapter 1 of Complete Mage, where it tries to explain how to play different caster archetypes.

Yeah, WotC doesn't know their own game very well.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmex View Post
    Why wouldn't they? It doesn't interfere with their spellcasting, like regular armor does.
    Because greater luminous armor is abjuration

Also, a +1 Negating Bondleaf Wrap has no ASF.
    Last edited by quick_comment; 2009-08-28 at 01:48 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Because greater luminous armor is abjuration
    Is the a BoED spell?

Also, a +1 Negating Bondleaf Wrap has no ASF.
    Yeah, but it's not that normal of armor now, is it?

10. - Top - End - #10

hey I just checks the errata, and Duskblades ability to ignore arcane spell failure hasn't been erata'd.
    He dcan thus ignore All arcane spell failure from all arcane spells, not just those from his duskblade lvls.
    What happens if i give him battle caster feat from complete mage?

Infact All his Class vfeature related to spells don't limit them to his list.
    (Quicken Spell!!)
    So Quick Cast can be applied to Wizard Spells.
    Most Broken thing in quiet a while: (Gestalt) Dustblade 10 // Wizard 5/ Abjurant Champion 5.

Now to work out a Duskblade/Wizard/Ultimate Mangus/abjurant champion Gish
    a simple one that doesn't take full advantage:
    wizard 3/Duskblade 2/
    then Interspacing
    Ultimate mangus +1/abjurant champion +1 (wizard) /Duskblade +1.
    Till lvl 20

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Suel Arcanamach ius the only class i've seen so far that ignore failure chance based on %age
    Last edited by oxinabox; 2009-08-28 at 02:05 AM.

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

It explicitly states under Armored Mage that the benefits of that ability do not extend to other classes.

Besides, githcraft mithral twlight full plate & a dip in spellsword should let you wear full plate no problem.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

It explicitly states under Armored Mage that the benefits of that ability do not extend to other classes.

Besides, githcraft mithral twlight full plate & a dip in spellsword should let you wear full plate no problem.
    Or, Battle Caster at level 4.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

13. - Top - End - #13

Oh it does I re read it 5 times looking for that, and eventually saw it.
    Don't know what with my eyes

14. - Top - End - #14

Battle Caster won't work on Pure Wizards. they don't meat it's prereqisists.

Redo my gish:
    as far as i can tell the requiment of arcane spell lvls 2, doens't mean you have to advance the spell casting of t5rhe class you qualified with.

Wow spellsword is much better than the Alternate Fighter Lvl from PHB2 for ignoring spell faiure for wizards.

DuskBlade 5/Wizard 1/SpellSword 1(wizard)/Abjerant Champion 5/Ultimate Mangus 3
    Taking BattleCaster (SpellSword) at lvl 9
    Wow that doesn't workout well at all, lose caster lvls much?

Maybe:
    DuskBlade 5/Wizard 1/SpellSword 1(wizard)/Abjerant Champion 3/Ultimate Mangus 5.
    Taking BattleCaster (SpellSword) at lvl 9
    cast's as a lvl nine Duskblade and as a a lvl 9 wizard.
    Still not good.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

my current character is a duskblade 5 / wizard (abjurer) 1 / abj champ 5 / spellsword 1 / eldritch knight 2 (ECL14) CL13 wizard (spells as wizard L8), CL5 duskblade, BAB +13

uses complete mage reserve feats for continuous offensive magic and greater mighty wallop for melee power.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by only1doug View Post
    my current character is a duskblade 5 / wizard (abjurer) 1 / abj champ 5 / spellsword 1 / eldritch knight 2 (ECL14) CL13 wizard (spells as wizard L8), CL5 duskblade, BAB +13

uses complete mage reserve feats for continuous offensive magic and greater mighty wallop for melee power.
    nice!
    So on playing that how would you feal about ultimate mangus lvls?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by oxinabox View Post
    nice!
    So on playing that how would you feal about ultimate mangus lvls?
    With a Gish there are two priorities, BAB and Spells. I'll continue Eldritch knight until L20 so that I gain both of these.

I'd view Ultimate Magus as a waste until epic levels, wizard casting is the priority, then BAB (which=wizard caster level). when we reach epic the BAB increases is fixed regardless of class so I can choose non BAB progressing classes such as Ultimate magus without losing more Caster Level than I would anyway.

Duskblade spells are OK, but work best with the duskblade class features, I'd rather have Duskblade levels than UM Levels. If I was building an UM character I'd pick a better casting class than duskblade (something with full casting instead of gimped casting).
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

On a side note, a +1 mithral chainshirt with twilight nets any caster with armor that has no casting failure, check penalty, with enough room to spare for more enchantments.

If I remember correctly, Duskblades only ignore casting failure on medium and light armor only (and shields). I guess if you wanted you could grab heavy armour and give it twilight...donno why though. Even with mithral fullplate twilight you end up with a 15% casting failure, low max dex bonus, with a little check penalty. I mean, you could use a few of the dex bonus enchantments, but that gets expensive for what you get after a while. Theres a armor crystal that can help with the check penalty, but after all that you spend a tramendous amount of resources to still have that 15% casting falure.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Thistledown Padded Armor is the mini Mithral Twilight. It's available 4595 gp earlier. Gives +1 AC, +2 to Hide in woods, -0 ACP, 0% failure.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

You could also take a level in Spellthief (also giving you sneak attack) and the Master Spellthief feat to cast in light armor for all your arcane classes. I really like that feat, to the point of taking it on a straight Spellthief just for the CL boost.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

The Urban Savant PrC in Cityscape allows a Wizard to cast in light armor with no ASF.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

In honesty, putting mage armor (pure defense buff) in conjuration (move or create) instead of arbitration (defense and anti spell) was the first mistake.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    Thistledown Padded Armor is the mini Mithral Twilight. It's available 4595 gp earlier. Gives +1 AC, +2 to Hide in woods, -0 ACP, 0% failure.
    I'm sorry, the correct answer was Thistledown Padded Githcraft Mithral Chain Shirt. +4 AC/0% spell failure. Thank you for playing and goodnight.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness