New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Apathetic players...

So, I have a player in my 3.5 game who is completely apathetic. We're making characters for our first session, and they just flat-out refuse to make anything. Their logic is "well, the class I want isn't available, and I can't think of anything else I want, so I just won't do anything at all." I am getting to the point that my patience is stretching to the breaking point.

The other thing is, I can't kick them out (social obligations, just accept this point). Please, don't suggest I tell them to GTFO, it's not an option.

All this said, how do I deal with a player who just doesn't seem to care, but when asked, claims they're having fun. They never interact in character or out of it, they just roll dice and mope when stuff doesn't go their way (which is all the time, because they never DO anything). How do I encourage them to actually give a **** about anything?!

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Apathetic players...

Tell them to GTFO.

I know you said that we shouldn't suggest it, but seriously?
    Do it.

Or don't tell them when the next session will be, it doesn't really look like they'd care anyway. (Sidenote: How do you have fun by sitting around a couple of guys playing D&D without talking to anyone?)
    Last edited by Dixieboy; 2009-08-28 at 12:21 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieboy View Post
    Tell them to GTFO.

I know you said that we shouldn't suggest it, but seriously?
    Do it.

Or don't tell them when the next session will be, it doesn't really look like they'd care anyway.
    Ok, if I do this, I will suffer out of game for it for a LOOOOONG time. This person cannot be removed, simply trust me on this one.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Give him a pre-generated character.

A Complete Warrior Samurai. With ranged attack feats.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Offer bonuses for taking initiative (not rolling it, taking it). I give my players bonus exp when they come up with crafty plans and praise when they participate.

Also, give the active players good things. John made a good backstory? Go with it and if the other player mopes then tell him "Well, if you gave me something to work with you'd have cool stuff too."

Finally, just stop caring. If he says he's having fun and won't say what's wrong then just let him play how he wants.

Edit: Also, yes to the pre-gen character idea.
    Last edited by Sipex; 2009-08-28 at 12:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Daemon

Questions two I have more: why are they even rolling dice if they haven't made a character yet? (Or rather "Isn't going to make one)

What do the other players think?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

dunno, seems like they would rather play a video-game
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post
    Finally, just stop caring. If he says he's having fun and won't say what's wrong then just let him play how he wants.

In response to just going "eh, whatever": I've been doing that, but at times, I need something from the players, like "what are you actually playing?" It helps when they answer that question, don't you think?

About the Pre-Gen: I could do that I guess... but then if it's not something they'll like, I'll hear about it forever. Besides, I'm busy with doing other things. Sadly though, I might just have to do it anyways.

@Dixieboy: We haven't started this campaign yet, so they aren't currently. It was a reference to the player's behavior in other games I've run.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2009-08-28 at 12:26 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Ok, if I do this, I will suffer out of game for it for a LOOOOONG time. This person cannot be removed, simply trust me on this one.
    So it's a sibling, or a gamer's girlfriend then.

Hand them a pre-gen, let them bumble along, and so long as they don't bogart all the snacks just consider them a casual player.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Why are you even friends with this person?

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Really, this guy is just a problem...but if getting rid of them isn't an option, then just give them a pregenerated character. Maybe they'll pick up the initiative.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-08-28 at 12:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post

I agree. If he's not causing a problem to the other players, ignore him. You've already tried to get through to him/her, now it's her turn to put in some support. If her inactivity is actually causing a stall in the game (such as during character creation), do something that will let you move on and maybe nudge him/her to action.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Why are you even dating this person?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

*sigh* They're a fine person, just not in games. I'll probably just give them a pre-gen and leave it at that.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

What class does she want to play?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    There is no mind control, citizen. Please go back to your fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corm View Post
    Kroy speaks the truth.
    Avatar courtesy of Shades of Grey.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
    What class does she want to play?
    Wizard. I don't use Wizards or Sorcerers in my setting (which is large, complex, full of houserules, custom material, and all sorts of class tweaks.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

How about Wu Jen? It's basically the same except with less OMGWTF craziness.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

How about a dragon shaman, hexblade, duskblade, or the like?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    How about Wu Jen? It's basically the same except with less OMGWTF craziness.
    They dislike the flavor, and don't want to change it.

@Elvenblade: They only play full casters, no melee.

Basically, the class needs to be a full caster, arcane, and have vast versatility. Anything else is not usable. Read: Wizard.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2009-08-28 at 12:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Wizard. I don't use Wizards or Sorcerers in my setting (which is large, complex, full of houserules, custom material, and all sorts of class tweaks.
    Cloistered Cleric or Archivist, then?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm amused how the assumption has slowly gravitated to the person being the OP's girlfriend. But, seriously, don't pester the guy; the reason is tangental and it seems for some reason it's not data that can be offered out.

A pre-generated character, and integrating rules where bonus xp or items are awarded to characters that show good roleplaying or initiative in game, sounds a good plan. The pregen will get the player playing, and the systems of awards may help draw them in. Perhaps the class they want isn't available now, but you let them know it might become a PrC or multiclass option later as a bonus for roleplaying?

Edit: I see the conversation shifted a fair bit while I was posting. Dread Necromancer lacks some versatility and might alignment (or houserule) issues, but it fits.
    Bard or modified wizard/sorcerer?
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2009-08-28 at 12:37 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I'm amused how the assumption has slowly gravitated to the person being the OP's girlfriend.
    He said she was. Then deleted his post. I should have quoted it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Factotum is versatile as heck. Like a wizard, except you don't have to pay or search for your spells, you just select them from the list with Arcane Dilettante. You're only going to be a level or two behind pure casters.

24. - Top - End - #24

I think the root of this problem is buried WAAAYYY below the issue of it being an RPG.

I also think that if we are going to provide any kind of useful feedback, we need something to go on.

Like, who is this person in relation to you, and why is this person in your group in the first place?
    1. Have fun. It's only a game.
    2. The GM has the final say. Everyone else is just a guest.
    3. The game is for the players. A proper host entertains one's guests.
    4. Everyone is allowed an opinion. Some games are not as cool as they seem.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Zombie

Do they know how to play?

Give them a character sheet for a fighter but write "Wizard" in the place where it says class.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    He said she was. Then deleted his post. I should have quoted it.
    I did so because it was irrelevant to the discussion. Let it drop, if you would be so kind. I shouldn't have said anything to begin with.

Umael, I don't see why it matters who it is. And you can figure it out, if you really want from the context clues, it's not too hard.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2009-08-28 at 12:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Archivist. At higher levels he can cast any spell ever.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

What level is the game? I'm sure someone here will be willing to make a decent character, that does what the player wants it to, without going against your house rules, and that way everyone can be happy.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FlWiPig View Post
    What level is the game? I'm sure someone here will be willing to make a decent character, that does what the player wants it to, without going against your house rules, and that way everyone can be happy.
    Level 1, for now. It's a fresh campaign. Also, I can actually get around to finishing the houserule list sometime tonight. I'll probably post something up later.

30. - Top - End - #30

I did so because it was irrelevant to the discussion. Let it drop, if you would be so kind. I shouldn't have said anything to begin with.

Umael, I don't see why it matters who it is. And you can figure it out, if you really want from the context clues, it's not too hard.
    Okay, yes, the first part I gathered, but that does NOT answer the second part (why is she in your group) AND it brings up two more questions:

Why do you think this relationship is immaterial to the discussion at hand?

Would you rather everyone just drop the issue, period?
    1. Have fun. It's only a game.
    2. The GM has the final say. Everyone else is just a guest.
    3. The game is for the players. A proper host entertains one's guests.
    4. Everyone is allowed an opinion. Some games are not as cool as they seem.