New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Core class ToB variants / Partial Pathfinder additions

I have seen Tome of Battle variants for a couple of classes (Ranger and Rogue) mentioned recently, and I was wondering if anyone had the necessary links and would be willing to share them? Opinions on them would also be gratefully accepted.

I tried Google, but my search-fu is weak as of late.

I've avoided ToB because they seem to make older classes obsolete, and I didn't like that. However if these variants work I would seriously look into them.

Thanks in advance
    K-B

Edit: Because starting another thread seemed wasteful: Would allowing some of the Pathfinder classes and not others be unbalancing? I'm specifically looking at the Bard, because I personally find it to be filled with creamy, yummy awesomeness (it may not be especially potent given the average defences of an opponent at that level, but Deadly Performance is something I've always wanted the Bard to have).
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2009-08-28 at 02:15 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Core class ToB variants

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    I have seen Tome of Battle variants for a couple of classes (Ranger and Rogue) mentioned recently, and I was wondering if anyone had the necessary links and would be willing to share them? Opinions on them would also be gratefully accepted.

I've avoided ToB because they seem to make older classes obsolete, and I didn't like that. However if these variants work I would seriously look into them.

Thanks in advance
    K-B
    They are what balanced versions of older classes SHOULD be. For example, if you have a Swordsage that focuses a lot of Setting Sun and Shadowhand and Diamond Mind, you could play it and he'd look and feel a lot like a monk, except he contributes in battle. You want to do special maneuvers like Tripping or martial arts grapples and throws? Setting Sun has PLENTY of that! you want to use your Monk's 1/day Dimension Door (Abundant Step)? Why Shadow Hand maneuvers have that...and you can do it ALL day long, not just 1/day. You want to do a Flurry of Blows? Well, Diamon mind has a maneuver called Avalanche of Blades. Very similar in flavor in that you make a lot of attacks.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

This thread reckoned that all the iconics were actually ToB classes. :P

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122403

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Here's a link to a version of the monk, ranger, and bard, and several prestige classes. Here's another version of the ranger. Here's a hexblade. (Note that I haven't done more than glance over any of them, do I don't know balance or anything).
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

"It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't undersell the rogue. Skills are hard to completely replace (without artificer). For instance blowing traps with summons will alert the guard whereas simply disabling them will not. Between skills, UMD and the amount of raw damage they can inflict under favourable circumstances the rogue is a decent class.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    HAHAHA I was just about to link that.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the responses, I think Fax's one is the one I'm looking for.

One thing I would like to ask, and starting another thread seems a little wasteful: Would allowing some of the Pathfinder classes and not others be unbalancing? I'm specifically looking at the Bard, because I personally find it to be filled with creamy, yummy awesomeness.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

the Bard...filled with creamy, yummy awesomeness.
    I failed my save vs. Gutter Mind.

Can anyone testify to which of these solutions is the best balanced?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    I failed my save vs. Gutter Mind.

Can anyone testify to which of these solutions is the best balanced?
    Time in a strict private school run by nuns.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Core class ToB variants / Partial Pathfinder additions

Thanks in advance
    K-B

Edit: Because starting another thread seemed wasteful: Would allowing some of the Pathfinder classes and not others be unbalancing? I'm specifically looking at the Bard, because I personally find it to be filled with creamy, yummy awesomeness (it may not be especially potent given the average defences of an opponent at that level, but Deadly Performance is something I've always wanted the Bard to have).
    Beta Bard or Gamma Bard (Final version)?
    Beta Bard was pretty good.

As long as DM is cool with it: it shoud be fine to use some and not others.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Core class ToB variants / Partial Pathfinder additions

The only PF class that is hard on balance is the Wizard. It was strongest before and got stronger. The cleric and druid got slightly weaker. Sorcerer got stronger, but needed it. All the other classes need all the help they can get.

So, for balance, I would use all the PF classes except for Wizard, use 3.5 wizard, but with the spell changes in the pathfinder book.