New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] Help me kill my NPC.

I'm running Ravenloft, and I want the party's first enconter with Strahd to be memorable, so I want him to kill our pet paladin, Ashlyn the Lightbringer.

What I really want if for him to appear, win initiative, and then reliably kill her in a single round. How can I do this?

Ashlyn is currently level 6, with 72HP, 21AC (T10), F11/R7/W7.

Strahd I have give an extra level and some more hit dice, so he can cast sixth level spells and has more HP.

The rest of the party, if it matters, are a monk//sorcerer 7 (my player), a wizard//non-melee capable barbarain (me), and a Cleric/Radiant Servant of Pelor 7 (NPC).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: [3.5] Help me kill my NPC.

Finger of Death? It's not that hard to do, really. Just have the paladin "fail" her save. Of course, it'd be better if he used teleport and she failed her will save to avoid being teleported, and then she was stuck in his castle and the party arrives just in time to see her get Coup de grace'd.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Finger of Death is a pretty reliable NPC killer, as mentioned above.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woodenbandman View Post
    Finger of Death? It's not that hard to do, really. Just have the paladin "fail" her save. Of course, it'd be better if he used teleport and she failed her will save to avoid being teleported, and then she was stuck in his castle and the party arrives just in time to see her get Coup de grace'd.
    We roll in the open though.

The idea of him abducting her is interesting, but I really want it to be more a case of him attacking, killing her, then flying off, laughing. And again it requires her to fail a save or it's useless. ><

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

you dont have to tell them the DC.
    The only difference between science and fiction is, that fiction has to make sense.

Blog, twitter

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

If she rolls a natural 20...

Make her helpless somehow, likely with an invisible helper tagging along (preferably a small one, as well) and then Coup de Grace. Worked wonders with a mummy BBEG, although Paladin was fearless.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hijax View Post
    you dont have to tell them the DC.
    Hmmm, that's a really good point. o.o

I'd really like something more stylish than just Finger of Death (it's above his level and I feel cheap cheating on saves), but I guess it would do.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myou View Post

I'd really like something more stylish than just Finger of Death (it's above his level and I feel cheap cheating on saves), but I guess it would do.
    It's not cheating if it's an npc.

9. - Top - End - #9

How about separating them somehow ? Could be done with a wall spell for example. They hear sounds of battle from inside, her screams of pain. When they finally get to her, they find her dead body on the floor with the BBEG standing next to it, a smirk on his face, before disappearing into the mist.

Of course, if they do manage to get through the barrier very quickly, she should probably be saved. Make sure to have some minions blocking the way, they'll be the real encounter.
    Last edited by Ranos; 2009-09-01 at 02:46 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    If she rolls a natural 20...

Make her helpless somehow, likely with an invisible helper tagging along (preferably a small one, as well) and then Coup de Grace. Worked wonders with a mummy BBEG, although Paladin was fearless.
    A CdG wouldn't even kill her though. Strahd only uses his Slam attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortling View Post
    It's not cheating if it's an npc.
    Well, that's the only reason I'm even going after her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranos View Post
    How about separating them somehow ? Could be done with a wall spell for example. They hear sounds of battle from inside, her screams of pain. When they finally get to her, they find her dead body on the floor with the BBEG standing next to it, a smirk on his face, before disappearing into the mist.
    Of course, if they do manage to get through the barrier very quickly, she should be saved.
    The aim though, is for him to kill her right in front of them, the PCs unable to do anything.

11. - Top - End - #11

The aim though, is for him to kill her right in front of them, the PCs unable to do anything.
    Huh. You seem to disagree with me there, but I feel there's less of an impact if there's absolutely no chance for the PCs to save her. I'm just talking about my PCs here, but they'd just be apathethic : "oh well, the DM decided she was gonna die, nothing we could have done, moving on." I much prefer leaving them a small chance of success, so that they can beat themselves over their failure later on.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranos View Post
    Huh. You seem to disagree with me there, but I feel there's less of an impact if there's absolutely no chance for the PCs to save her. I'm just talking about my PCs here, but they'd just be apathethic : "oh well, the DM decided she was gonna die, nothing we could have done, moving on." I much prefer leaving them a small chance of success, so that they can beat themselves over their failure later on.
    My aim is to make them scared of Strahd, not mae them blame themselves for her death.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

My aim is to make them scared of Strahd, not mae them blame themselves for her death.
    yes but if you take Ranos's idea you do both.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Split ray maximized enervate for 8 negative energy levels, no save, just 2 touch attack? Luckily for the Pcs, Stradt only had one scroll with this spell on it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Exactly. It's actually a pretty good idea.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Split Ray Empowered enervation. One metamagic reducer will do the trick of getting it down to 6th level. Averages 7 negative levels. Split Ray Maximized is a guaranteed kill if you get two reducers.

Ninja's! They're everywhere! :shiftyeyes:
    Last edited by lsfreak; 2009-09-01 at 02:54 PM.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    yes but if you take Ranos's idea you do both.
    I guess I could do that, yeah. But I'd need them to be able to see the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Split ray maximized enervate for 8 negative energy levels, no save, just 2 touch attack? Luckily for the Pcs, Stradt only had one scroll with this spell on it.
    I thought of a scroll. Except that then wouldn't they just be scared of his scrolls?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

I thought of a scroll. Except that then wouldn't they just be scared of his scrolls?
    what was his level again? you said he had 6ths, so at least 11.
    wiz 3/sorc 1/UM 7.
    use praticed spellcaster(wizard) to have UM advance that.
    burn sorc slots to fire off the enervation.
    The only difference between science and fiction is, that fiction has to make sense.

Blog, twitter

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

As lsfreak pointed out, you can have him do it, but then why doesn't he use it on the PCs? I guess you could decide he only has one one these spells prepared but it begs the question why when its such a good choice. If he relies on sudden maximize he can only do it once per day, but if the PCs do not kill him on that day they would be killed next.

Maybe make it from a magical item that seems like he cast it? The PCs can fined the now empty magical item amoungst his treasure after they've defeated him.

Edit: Alternativly, give him the ability to use it. Once. No item needed. Maybe he can cast the spell as a spell like ability once per fortnight on the full moon, and he deemed the paladin to be the biggest threat.
    Last edited by Boci; 2009-09-01 at 03:01 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Have him dominate someone in the party and make THEM kill the paladin.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    It'd be awful funny if the entire party were Paladins of freedom. It'd render this plan pointless.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hijax View Post
    what was his level again? you said he had 6ths, so at least 11.
    wiz 3/sorc 1/UM 7.
    use praticed spellcaster(wizard) to have UM advance that.
    burn sorc slots to fire off the enervation.
    Well, he's build in the module as a wizard 10, I just advanced him a level and gave him a few bonus HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    As lsfreak pointed out, you can have him do it, but then why doesn't he use it on the PCs? I guess you could decide he only has one one these spells prepared but it begs the question why when its such a good choice. If he relies on sudden maximize he can only do it once per day, but if the PCs do not kill him on that day they would be killed next.

Maybe make it from a magical item that seems like he cast it? The PCs can fined the now empty magical item amoungst his treasure after they've defeated him.

Edit: Alternativly, give him the ability to use it. Once. No item needed. Maybe he can cast the spell as a spell like ability once per fortnight on the full moon, and he deemed the paladin to be the biggest threat.
    Mmm, that was another concern, that if I just ruled that he can cast a killer spell, that then the players would wonder why he only did it once.

I like your idea about an item that he uses up and is later found, it explains why only the paladin got hit with it. Especially if I have her use the Holy Symbol of Raveloft or the Sunsword.

Hmmm, interesting idea. If he had the dominated NPC that shows up later and another NPC attack together that might kill her. Not really the shock tactics I'm after, but perhaps that would be a good followup.

I'm considering now dropping hints to the players that Strahd has one very powerful attack that has a limit to it's use, it's probably going to have to be that or fudging the paladin's save.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know about the rest of you but having played Living Greyhawk for the last couple years of the campaign's life made me fearful of box text. If the box text says you die, YOU DIE! o.o

Same deal here. It's like in-game cinematics where plot occurs and there is no save against plot.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you but having played Living Greyhawk for the last couple years of the campaign's life made me fearful of box text. If the box text says you die, YOU DIE! o.o

Same deal here. It's like in-game cinematics where plot occurs and there is no save against plot.
    I don't want my players feeling railroaded though. xD

25. - Top - End - #25

Then have him use a scroll of Finger of Death, and say the spell is on his list.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Then have him use a scroll of Finger of Death, and say the spell is on his list.
    Like I say, that works, but it's really lame when the villain is only a threat if he has the right scroll.

Here's what I'm looking at at the moment;

The party enter a cave (Varikov the Trapper's lair, lackey of Strahd), with Ashlyn at the back (the NPCs are always at the back) and then Strahd appears, immediately casting a sudden-quickened Wall of Force to seperate the party, then Dimensional Anchor on me, the caster. Add some summons to back up Varikov, and the party has it's hands full.

He then engages Ashlyn, who is too proud/angry to even try to flee, and takes his time killing her - he's scryed on us and knows that the other casters don't have spells like Dimension Door, so unless one of us dispels the anchor on me, we can't get out to save her.

Once he drops her to negative HP he holds her up by the hair and laughs at the PCs through the wall, thanking them for taking out the witches that threatened him (subquest) and telling them that it was a mistake for them to think they could challenge him. He then Disintegrates Ashlyn, her ashes scattering in the wind. Cue pun on her name, vampire exit stage left.

I could also have him kill her and raise her as a vampire though, I'm torn between the two ideas.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

What if he forces her to make a self sacrifice? For example, the party is on a mission to save a child or some other obviously good thing. Strahd is holding them prisoner for use in a magical experiment. The kid is behind magical traps and will die if approached.

The paladin calls him a monster and Strahd, remembering his own proud righteousness in his youth, cruelly offers her a deal. A single combat duel between her and him. No assistance from allies. If she wins not only will she save the kid, Strahd is dead. If Strahd wins, well, the paladin dies but he vows to let the kid go. She'd be honor bound to accept. If she points out that in dying she would give up the opportunity to help others, he promises to commit an act of good worth her life.

Now your players have two options:

A) Don't interfere in the duel - This pretty much means she's dead, since Strahd will use save or die spells every round. However Strahd is true to his word and lets the child go. Not only that, he leaves a gift for each player - a useful magical item. Gifting them to a group of heroes is his "act of good." By taking it your players feel guilty and complicit in her death and seek revenge.

B) Interfere - This might save her life, but definitely means the child is dead. She curses the group for disobeying her request and sets off on her own. Strahd is still evil and hated by the players for costing them a friend and killing the child.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I could also have him kill her and raise her as a vampire though, I'm torn between the two ideas.
    I'm all for vampiring her and having her go Blackguard. That'd be an all around slap in the face to give the PCs more reason to go after Strahd.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Power word: Kill from a scroll.

Splat.

Winning init is easy-peasy, I just need to know the highest init mod in your party.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    I'm all for vampiring her and having her go Blackguard. That'd be an all around slap in the face to give the PCs more reason to go after Strahd.
    Or a paladin of slaughter/tyranny.

What if he forces her to make a self sacrifice? For example, the party is on a mission to save a child or some other obviously good thing. Strahd is holding them prisoner for use in a magical experiment. The kid is behind magical traps and will die if approached.

The paladin calls him a monster and Strahd, remembering his own proud righteousness in his youth, cruelly offers her a deal. A single combat duel between her and him. No assistance from allies. If she wins not only will she save the kid, Strahd is dead. If Strahd wins, well, the paladin dies but he vows to let the kid go. She'd be honor bound to accept. If she points out that in dying she would give up the opportunity to help others, he promises to commit an act of good worth her life.

Now your players have two options:

A) Don't interfere in the duel - This pretty much means she's dead, since Strahd will use save or die spells every round. However Strahd is true to his word and lets the child go. Not only that, he leaves a gift for each player - a useful magical item. Gifting them to a group of heroes is his "act of good." By taking it your players feel guilty and complicit in her death and seek revenge.

B) Interfere - This might save her life, but definitely means the child is dead. She curses the group for disobeying her request and sets off on her own. Strahd is still evil and hated by the players for costing them a friend and killing the child.
    That is a really good idea. Well done.
    Last edited by Boci; 2009-09-01 at 04:12 PM.