New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default What Does An Awakened Creature Do?

Let's say you're a deer or an elm and some druid comes along and awakens you. The spells says you're friendly towards the druid and obeys requests. Fine.

Do you obey the druid forever? Do you have to do anything they say, or just reasonable requests that you, as a grateful plant or animal, are happy to do? Can the druid keep you with them indefinitely or do you eventually get to leave? It makes sense that a domesticated horse would let the druid keep riding it, but what about a wild animal that has its own business to attend to?

More importantly, what do you do afterward? Let's say the druid doesn't keep you with him. What does a creature that smart do with its time?
    Last edited by Lysander; 2009-09-04 at 12:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What do Awakened Creature Do?

I think that "friendly" should mean whatever it means in the context of other spells and Diplomacy uses. I'd say that it means "will comply with reasonable requests." It means "will obey at least a few non-suicidal orders;" think of them as a friend who owes you a few big favors. It means "may try to act independently in the druid's interests," the way a friend might.

But it doesn't mean "fanatical devotion even to the point of death and ignoring all other interests."
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: What Does An Awakened Creature Do?

Despair, and think of better days.
    I think, therefore I am... I think...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Zombie

Let's say you are a baby and were just born to some parents....you can move around and understand them which is above normal. Do you always do what they say?

I use this as a simple example for any created being. It fits pretty well. The thing you have to ask is, is your awakened creature in any way enlightened and have a will of their own, or just propelled by magic locomotion and understanding of the druid?

Sooner or later any creature with intelligence will seek to learn at whatever cost that is. Leaving home, or other things are simple to consider. A tree might be a bit more time before it goes anywhere because they are used to standing around, but a deer may be more apt to wander off.

I would use the intelligence of the new creature to base off how self-sufficient they will strive to be and how soon. Also consider the treatment of the druid to them.

Some will stay around forever, while others may leave rather soon depending on mental ability and treatment.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Last edited by bosssmiley; 2009-09-04 at 12:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

No, not everything. It says there's no special connection, but considering the druid just awakened you, you'll probably do it a few favors for awhile. Its attitude is supposed to be friendly, so whatever that entails.

As for afterward, it would probably do whatever it wanted. Maybe become a druid itself and endeavor to awaken more of its kind. At this point its entirely up to you as a PC to come up with what you want to do.
    Super-amazing avatar by Ceika!
    << It's a mound of rainbowflesh, do NOT forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by xNadia View Post
    See the rainbowflesh, EAT the rainbowflesh, BELIEVE THE RAINBOWFLESH!

7. - Top - End - #7

If I were an elm that were suddenly awakened?
    I think it's fair to say that I'd go out on a limb for the druid who awoke me. I suspect I'd avoid fights, but I might be willing to try to intimidate his foes, they won't know that my bark is worse than my bite.

As for what to do if left to my own devices, I'd turn over a new leaf, pull up my roots, go out and explore the world! I think trees would naturally lean toward class levels in bard. That way if asked a question they're unlikely to be stumped.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm in agreement with everyone else that says you're not going to go jump off a cliff or jump down the gullet of a dragon for the druid but considering the druid just gave you sentience and the ability to recognize that as such you're probably going to do the guy a few huge favors. And that after awhile you'll probably wander off and do your own thing, especially if the druid goes off after asking you for a quick favor.

As for what "your own thing" consists of...I imagine that changes depending on the animal. Trees would probably stand around for a little bit (though from the tree's perspective that would be anything from a few days to a few decades, or even a few centuries). While small flighty animals like squirrels and would probably end up with an outlook that includes lots of running and jumping and 'borrowing' of things that don't actually belong to you, not that you'd really understand the difference. A wolf would probably try to better it's pack same goes for most pack and herd animals. And I can see most kinds of cats ending up, well kind of sadistic actually.

All of that second part is all my opinion though. I'd say as for personality use the animal's normal behaviour and first experiences as a template, add in some imagination (which if you're playing this game you've got ) and treat the animals like any other character.
    ~Nostri, frequent lurker and periodic poster

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I agree with this plan. Any terraforming plan involving Thermite is a good plan.
    Homebrew Creations
    Spoiler
    Show

Races
    The Arachnadae- WiP

Classes
    Templar- Finished, mostly
    Priest-WiP

Feats
    Sever Limb- WiP
    Sacred Vow/Vow of Poverty Redux- WiP

WiP stands for Work in Progress so please, go and discuss, critique, give suggestions etc.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine View Post
    If I were an elm that were suddenly awakened?
    I think it's fair to say that I'd go out on a limb for the druid who awoke me. I suspect I'd avoid fights, but I might be willing to try to intimidate his foes, they won't know that my bark is worse than my bite.

As for what to do if left to my own devices, I'd turn over a new leaf, pull up my roots, go out and explore the world! I think trees would naturally lean toward class levels in bard. That way if asked a question they're unlikely to be stumped.
    I'm not sure if I'm delighted or ashamed to say that this made me laugh alot. Its just so much condensed bad pun in one place... I want to dislike it, but I just makes me laugh more because they just keep coming. Thanks for that.

10. - Top - End - #10

Become a Rescue Ranger, naturally.
    "So Marbles, why do they call you Marbles?"

11. - Top - End - #11

I once had the BBEG be an animal that the druid awakened early on in the campaign, during the standard "clear the goblin warren" sort of quest.

He wanted revenge for the druid dragging him from his idyllic world to the world of intelligent creatures, where we have evil and cruelty.

He was a necromancer//druid/blighter

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Presumably it would go back to sleep at some point...

13. - Top - End - #13

An Awakened red-furred cat would open a hotel, breed monstrous spiders, and have a voice like Paul Schoeffler.
    Last edited by Jergmo; 2009-09-04 at 01:13 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Sunder the wall?! WT**** kind of tactics are these!?"
    Me: The kind that armies have been using for millennia.
    DM: They didn't do it with swords!
    Me: Which makes us so much cooler.

Player: Where are the babau in relation to everyone else?
    Me: They're right behind you. Vesil is covered in Loki's blood. That is their location in relation to you.
    Player: I was just wondering about a fireball.

My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Take over. Awaken your brethren through any means necessary.
    Last edited by blazinghand; 2009-09-04 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Correcting Link
    Round 4: Eat Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Well at least your houserule skill check fumbles have houseruled fumble confirmations.
    The COre COliseum is a tactics-based arena for both 3.5e and 4e D&D. We run fights each week - so join today!
    Quickstart Guide
    Character Sheet

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by blazinghand View Post
    Take over. Awaken your brethren through any means necessary.
    Guess awakening also requires keeping the animal happy. Otherwise there could be some cow out there that seeks your doom.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Would an awakened animal druid have an animal companion or a humanoid companion?

A cat druid with a humanoid companion would what a cat's supposed to be...

Also I like the idea of a awakened tree bard. Especially if the tree's a weeping willow...

R.P.
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2009-09-05 at 10:37 AM.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I think Shadzar is not a million miles from what I'd say, myself. However, the psychology of the creature itself is worth baring in mind.

Some creatures are essentially social, pack/herd animals. Some are more likely to seek and expect independance than others.

Also, as anyone who's watched many nature shows would know, life as 'an animal' is not some idilic life of innocence. It's a grimdark struggle every waking moment to A) Find enough food not to starve to death and B) Not be eaten alive by things with horrible nashing teeth.

That's in a mundane world. Add in the kind of terrible things you routinely find in the DnD world's wild, and, yeah. Idilic not so much. :)

I could quite see, for example, a Deer simply returning to it's herd and living much as before, all-beit slightly more cunning in it's life and daily travails. A wolf, or other pack-predator could very likely either take over it's pack or be shunned. If ostracised, i'd imagine such 'social' creatures would very likely attatch themselves to their only other option, the Druid (and the other PC's).

Though natural urges will remain, and they'd likely attempt to start their own herd/pack from time to time.

Personally, I'd imagine that Awakened Animals that are abandoned eventually, or that never really take up with the wizard, are likely to be the source of myths and local legends for hundreds of years to come. Mythical, uncatchable White Harts. The One-Eyed King of the Wolves, etc etc.

Solitary types would likely wander off and largely return to life as they know it before long, though would probably also soon acheive a much more legendary reputation.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

If an awakened animal mates with another awakened animal, are the children awakened too? Or are they just normal beasties?
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

'Friendly' as an attitude has a general definition already.

A diplomacy-using Druid could Awaken an animal, then make a DC 20 Diplomacy check to render it Helpful. I don't think Wild Empathy would work on an awakened animal, but I'm not sure on that.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    If an awakened animal mates with another awakened animal, are the children awakened too? Or are they just normal beasties?
    The new animal is a Magical Beast. The old one is an Animal. It wouldn't work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

21. - Top - End - #21

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The new animal is a Magical Beast. The old one is an Animal. It wouldn't work out.
    Care to explain what you mean?

22. - Top - End - #22

I would think an awakened plant/animal would feel very alone in the world unless it met another awakened plant/animal. It would have little in common intellectually with individuals of its own species that are unawakened, but little in common in life experience with other fully sentient beings.

So, if I had an awakened plant/animal in my campaign, it would probably make it its business to find somebody to awaken a companion for him/her. Is this starting to sound like Bride of Frankenstein?
    Thanks to Daryk for the Paladin avatar. Darius Sungold. 1648 OOC.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

It's starting to sound like Frankenstein, the book, nevermind any dodgy film. :)

Good way to play it, if you're going for a slightly almost-horror route, perhaps.

I'd say whether or not such a creature would feel alone depends very much on the psychology of the creature itself, though, rather than being automatic. I'd say it would very much still have every single instinct and impulse that it had beforehand, because if nothing else, it doesn't gain anything externally, per say. It wouldn't suddenly adopt a human psychology or value system, it would still very much be the creature you awakened still.

I can't imagine, for example, an Awakened Tiger or Bear being particularly non-plussed by the situation, as they basically have as little to do with each other as possible on a day-to-day basis already anyway.

24. - Top - End - #24

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieboy View Post
    Care to explain what you mean?
    Different species...err...type, which I guess is a greater classification than species...it would be like a humanoid doing it with an abberation that looked like the humanoid's species....
    Last edited by nightwyrm; 2009-09-05 at 03:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nightwyrm View Post
    Different species...err...type, which I guess is a greater classification than species...it would be like a humanoid doing it with an abberation that looked like the humanoid's species....
    I'm not sure where you're getting this from. I'm asking what if you took one wolf and cast awaken on it. Then took another wolf, and cast awaken on it, and the two mated and had a pup. Would said pup be awakened? Would it just be a normal beastie?
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

BlackDragon

I'm not sure where you're getting this from. I'm asking what if you took one wolf and cast awaken on it. Then took another wolf, and cast awaken on it, and the two mated and had a pup. Would said pup be awakened? Would it just be a normal beastie?
    Ah, my mistake. I thought you meant one awaken and one normal.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I asked that a while ago. My guess would be "yes" because they're both magical beasts at that point.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
    Despair, and think of better days.
    +1 cookies.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.