New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground
    Default Dm's: Druid Item Creation Abstraction?

(FYI: I play 3.5)

When a wizard creates a magic item, the cost of creation abstracts as necessary rare components which the creator must purchase. In my campaigns there are specialty shops which charge outrageous prices for salamander pancreas or murderer's thumbs or whatever. Similarly, Clerics must spend a lot of money on the necessary devotions and rituals involved in imbuing an item with the power of their ethos. It's a little harder with Bards, but in 12 years of DMing it hasn't come up yet; I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

But what about Druids? One of my party members is a Druid whose character is built (more or less) around item creation. So what the heck do I tell her when she asks me exactly what the 500 gp she spends to create her mask of wisdom +1 buys? It doesn't make any sense to me that a Druid would have to go SHOPPING IN TOWN for the components needed to create a wondrous item.

Does anyone know how to abstract this?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Dm's: Druid Item Creation Abstraction?

Rare herbs and minerals.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

What Pharaoh's Fist said. Anything rare and nature-oriented.

Have the items be sold at a conveniently located druid's grove/enclave, a hunter's outpost, a witch-doctor's hut, etc. if you don't want the druid to have to buy them in a normal city.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also, extraplanar nature-related items (celestial apples, angel eyelashes, one of the vines that climbs the Tower of Pain on Abyssal Layer #981, whatever) could have good fluff and justify high prices.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Not a bad suggestion, but... I mean, Druids are fairly rare in this campaign. I'm not sure how much Druish infrastructure I want to shoehorn in. Any other ideas?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Make it in hidden druid covens, instead of in cities. Have it be carefully tended mosses and purified waters that druids have been tending to for centuries, requiring a donation for their acquisition. It's not like you need many druids for this to be possible. Just one truly ancient one that turned himself into a tree or something.
    Last edited by Yukitsu; 2009-09-06 at 10:56 PM.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Have her trade XP instead of gold.

Gold, after all, is a metal, and for some dumbass reason, druids consider metals 'unnatural'.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2009-09-06 at 11:00 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rare materials is a good starting point. You might also consider the value of labor in preparing the materials; in a previous group where I had a crafting Druid my DM let me make Craft or Profession checks to put together materials for new items. Usually I would make daily checks as though I were trying to make money, but instead count directly towards the cost of my materials. Occasionally, I would get circumstance bonuses or help from other crafting-types (one of the melee types took ranks in smithing for flavor purposes) which made it a pretty good deal overall. It wasn't just free money, though, as I would have to intentionally refrain from certain group activities (like goofing off in-town on our downtime.)
    ~Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number
    This is for obvious safety reasons no doubt. Perhaps with the help of a heavy rubber mallet it can be done.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Not only is this material expensive and rare, it's also hard to get to. Say, there is a sacred grove, situated in the middle of Antimagic Mountain. The Druid needs to buy supplies, bribe some border guards, hire some guides and trek up that mountain, and then get back with the single tiny blade of grass he needs. The making of the item isn't what takes time, this is.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2009-09-06 at 11:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Or the druid needs to make sacrifices to powerful spirits of nature, such as a special nymph, or a big white talking stag to gain the sacred special materials needed to create the item.

Wait, the big white talking stag told me that's just moving the same problem to another area...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    Have her trade XP instead of gold.
    Go the IK Druids way and trade someone elses XP instead
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Common herbs can be rare (and therefore precious/expensive) because of the circumstances under which they were collected. A dandelion plucked under a blue moon, or spider silk collected during the first spring rain.

If you don't want to create a druid infrastructure, then you could have an herbal-themed witch with a stockpile of these things. She could want gold, gems, quarts crystals, or non-herbal items (troll pancreas or something.) Of course, her demands could also be plot hooks.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

To be perfectly honest, if my DM said I need side quests just to use my feats, I'd slap him then go play everquest, because frankly, I may as well.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

You can have him buy rare materials without needing a "druidic infrastructure."

Just something like an exotic fruit from another continent, whose juice is vital. Or perhaps the hair of an albino wolf, and the only one in the area is the animal companion of a protective ranger, who would be willing to part with a tuft for an exorbiant price. Stuff like that.

Gold doesn't have to equal "magic item shop." It really depends on how much effort you want to put into the fluff- many players would be satisfied with "You buy some rare vines and exotic woods," and then get back to the main plot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    How about the fact that humans can apparently breed with anything on two legs (or even four legs if you count dragons)?

Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
    Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
    Human: What?
    Elf: Half-orcs, half-ogres...
    Human: ... shut up.
    Dwarf: Half-dragons, half-kobolds.
    Human: I said shut up!
    Elf: ...
    Dwarf: ...
    Human: ...
    Elf: Centaurs.