New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Commoners + Chickens

So I've come acroos posts mentionng something about commoners with chickens. Could someone tell me what thats about?
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    -Groucho Marx

not nale, not-nale. thog help nale nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail.

I support LGBT In the playground.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

biggrin Re: Commoners + Chickens

There was an article posted (either online or in a dragon magazine, i disremember which) about flaws for commoners.

One of these flaws was "chicken infested" which iirc made it so any time you reached for ANYTHING you had a chance to just pull out a chicken instead.

I could be wrong on the effect, but that's the jist of it.

~R~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Commoners + Chickens

Chicken-Infested Flaw. Commoners only. 50% chance of grabbing a chicken out of a bag or pouch when you would try to draw something out of it. Combine with spell component pouch, whose DnD physics say you can pull an infinite number of things out of it, all as free actions, and it never happens to run out.
    "So Marbles, why do they call you Marbles?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah, the Chicken Infested flaw, which is commoner only, gives you a 50% chance to pull out a live chicken instead of the item you wanted whenever you try to draw anything. Spell component pouches have infinite contents and drawing something from one is a free action. Combine the flaw and a component pouch, and...
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Foster Farms profit?

EIDT: Or do you mean the drunken master / master throwers fighting with chickens as improvised weapons?
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-09-10 at 10:20 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Wow, that's hilarious, I'm totally going do use that next time my group gets together to play D&D.
    ;-)
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    -Groucho Marx

not nale, not-nale. thog help nale nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail.

I support LGBT In the playground.

7. - Top - End - #7

Its the sort of ability that should be an epic feat, not a commoner flaw.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Foster Farms profit?
    I was thinking more along the lines of smothering your enemy in chickens, but that works too.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

9. - Top - End - #9

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Yeah, the Chicken Infested flaw, which is commoner only, gives you a 50% chance to pull out a live chicken instead of the item you wanted whenever you try to draw anything. Spell component pouches have infinite contents and drawing something from one is a free action. Combine the flaw and a component pouch, and...
    Wait, aren't free actions not actually free? Like speaking. Technically free, but there's only so much you get before you actually spend time. Wouldn't that rule apply to drawing things out of a spell component pouch?
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Nope, because that rule relies upon a DM's common sense, and a DM that allows this probably doesn't have any.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Wait, aren't free actions not actually free? Like speaking. Technically free, but there's only so much you get before you actually spend time. Wouldn't that rule apply to drawing things out of a spell component pouch?
    Even without the NI chicken black hole or the Plane of Chicken, there's still a lot you can do with ~25 chickens per round.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

13. - Top - End - #13

Eat them, for example.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Best combine with levels in Warlock for The Dead Walk invocation and the Corpsecrafter + Destructive Retribution feat. You'll be able to summon a huge supply of temporary chicken zombie fodder, each with like, 1/2 a HD which'll explode for a small amount of negative energy each. Stack up enough undead chickens, and you'll have negative energy splattered all over the place.

Bawk bawk bawk BOOM!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

15. - Top - End - #15

Reserves of Strength + Chickens + Greater Consumptive Field = Profit

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Even without the NI chicken black hole or the Plane of Chicken, there's still a lot you can do with ~25 chickens per round.
    Well, yes, but not to the absurd extremes usually posited.

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    Nope, because that rule relies upon a DM's common sense, and a DM that allows this probably doesn't have any.
    The rule explicitly calls for DM judgment, though, specifically telling the DM to limit such actions to a reasonable amount.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

I bet you could make a pretty cool campaign based on a BBEG who has a level of commoner and this flaw. Even better if you combine it with El Pollo Diablo.

The party finally makes it into the deepest chamber in the hen house shaped dungeon where they stand face to face with the big devil chicken who rules from his flaming chicken nest deep in Baator and he can pull out mad pecking legions from his spell pouches to drown his enemies in a furious flurry of feathers, fire and a lot of bawk.
    Awesome avatar by RustMonster

Constipated Lizard Slayer

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    That's the basic core assumption of every crazy build, from the Hulking Hurler to Pun-Pun. "If your DM was a moron, you could get away with this..." Every game-breaking, rule-lawyerist, munchkinized, twinked-out, CharOped, RAW-cooked build depends utterly on a DM that fails to comprehend or implement Rule #0 properly. All a DM has to do is say, "LOL, no. Now let's just play the game," & any insane build is shut down, but good.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just think that it bears repeating.